PDA

View Full Version : People Who Talk Incessantly – What Mental Illness Do They Have?

Surreal
08-10-2006, 12:33 AM
Over the years, I've run across a few people who never seem to shut up. I've probably met five or six such individuals, and all of them were female.

These people will start up a one-way conversation with you even when they don't know you, then they will proceed to babble aimlessly with a myriad of pointless, incoherent, stream-of-consciousness type discussions that occasionally include very personal details of their lives. They will not stop until you get up walk away from them, and even then they sometimes try to continue on with their dialogue.

They also seem to be totally oblivious to people's facial expressions, such as boredom (when will this end?), fear (holy crap this person is raving lunatic), urgency (I really have to get back to work now), disgust (that was way more information than I wanted to hear), annoyance (I can't take this anymore), etc.

What mental illness would cause this particular pattern of behavior? Would it be safe to scream at them to shut up, or could they be dangerous??

Thanks.

susan
08-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Probably not a mental illness per se. They might be anxious, or self-absorbed, or highly defined by their relationships with others.

Boyo Jim
08-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Over the years, I've run across a few people who never seem to shut up. I've probably met five or six such individuals, and all of them were female.

These people will start up a one-way conversation with you even when they don't know you, then they will proceed to babble aimlessly with a myriad of pointless, incoherent, stream-of-consciousness type discussions that occasionally include very personal details of their lives. They will not stop until you get up walk away from them, and even then they sometimes try to continue on with their dialogue.

They also seem to be totally oblivious to people's facial expressions, such as boredom (when will this end?), fear (holy crap this person is raving lunatic), urgency (I really have to get back to work now), disgust (that was way more information than I wanted to hear), annoyance (I can't take this anymore), etc.

What mental illness would cause this particular pattern of behavior? Would it be safe to scream at them to shut up, or could they be dangerous??

Thanks.

Not every annoying personal habit is a result of mental illness. Sheesh!

SCSimmons
08-10-2006, 12:59 AM
I believe that is referred to as 'femininity'.

(Now running far, far away.)

Analogue Skywalker
08-10-2006, 01:06 AM

dis·ease
n.
1.A pathological condition of a part, organ, or system of an organism resulting from various causes, such as infection, genetic defect, or environmental stress, and characterized by an identifiable group of signs or symptoms.

2.A condition or tendency, as of society, regarded as abnormal and harmful.
Obsolete. Lack of ease; trouble.

i would say that society would regard this kind of babbling as abnormal and harmful.

How ever the talking probably isn't the only thing going on with them, and we would have to know what other symptoms go along with it. It could be anything from Schizophrenia to Manias or It could just be bad social queues.

astro
08-10-2006, 01:07 AM
The one person I met who did this was a male and a successful investor. He just didn't seem to know how to end a conversation.

drachillix
08-10-2006, 01:08 AM

If it interfered with their ability to socialize effectively or made relationships difficult or impossible wouldn't that be considered some kind of disordered behavior?

Non psych guy, just asking.

susan
08-10-2006, 01:15 AM
It could be anything from Schizophrenia to ManiasTrue, but as the OP suggests, some people just yap. And in some social circles, yapping about nothing is considered desirable--it might be called "being a conversationalist."

If it interfered with their ability to socialize effectively or made relationships difficult or impossible wouldn't that be considered some kind of disordered behavior?

Non psych guy, just asking.Many diagnoses in DSM require this criterion (that the problem affects social or work functioning), but being annoying in this way, in the absence of other criteria, is just unfortunate and could be a focus of therapy, but isn't in and of itself a diagnostic marker.

Shagnasty
08-10-2006, 01:37 AM
My mother calls it Noninon's disease.

msmith537
08-10-2006, 01:42 AM
I believe its called diarrhea of the mouth.

The last two people I encountered with this disorder happened to be male. And I'm a management consultant who primarily works with lawyers so I'm used to Chatty kathy's. I still had to be like "dude, shut the fuck up!"

crowmanyclouds
08-10-2006, 01:42 AM
Pressure of speech. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_of_speech)

CMC fnord!

homeskillet
08-10-2006, 01:56 AM
[Laura Kightlinger] So the other day, I was on this plane, I could totally tell the guy next to me really wanted me .....to shut up!
Do you know how I knew? Because he kept saying .....SHUT UP! WOULD YOU SHUT UP![/Laura Kightlinger]

thelurkinghorror
08-10-2006, 01:56 AM
Logorrhea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logorrhea) or Logorrhoea is a mental disorder with excessive talkativeness, although I doubt the any of the people you speak of have this.

picunurse
08-10-2006, 02:34 AM
Some conditions that might cause excessive talking, are:
1. Bipolar disorder
2. ADHD
3. Stimulant drug use
4. Schizophrenia
5. Social ineptness
6. Nervousness
7. Happiness
8. Recent trauma
9. Being a middle child
10. Recent isolation with small children.

I'm sure there are others. Excessive talking, in itself, isn't a pathology.

twickster
08-10-2006, 07:01 AM
9. Being a middle child

Interesting. The main person I know who does this is my aunt, who is, in fact, a middle child.

What's your thinking here?

Annie-Xmas
08-10-2006, 08:34 AM
Has anyone considered the people are crackheads?

I'm serious; the rooming house tenants I am forced to associate with as part of my job are mostly crackheads, and they will not shut up.

Carlyjay
08-10-2006, 08:52 AM
I know someone who is sort of like this. They go on and on and on and rarely if ever show any interest in knowing anything about the person they're speaking to...I mean, speaking at.

I once tried to say something about this to them, in a diffused, indirect way. I suggested, while we were talking about dating and members of the opposite sex, that they try asking questions. Their response?

Most people are just so BORING. And anyways, it's "just not me" and I don't want to act like someone else. If people can't like me the way I am (self absorbed, though they don't seem to realize that) then there's no point in knowing them at all.

What can you do but shrug? Some people are self-absorbed.

TheBoneyKingofNowhere
08-10-2006, 09:42 AM
My boss is like this. I truly believe she suffers from a form of mania. Once I had a friend in the office and when my boss called in I put her on speakerphoneand started doing other stuff. My buddy absolutely couldn't believe it was real - that she just kept talking like I wasn't there. On and on and on and on and on, changing subjects, randomly inserting "gossipy" type stuff from her neighborhood to things about her children, etc etc etc etc. Friends jaw just dropped. He still talks about it.

AHunter3
08-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Here, I'll stick a label on the phenomenon youv'e described. It's "<insert medical jaron>". Now you can say this person's incessant talking is caused by "<insert medical jargon>".

In your case, being Surreal...naaah, too easy...

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
08-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Small, unsubstantiated personal observation.

The first two people with this problem I had the misfortune to meet, mentioned a lack of maternal affection/attention. "My mother wouldn't hold me" kind of thing.

Perhaps...?

Squink
08-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Logorrhea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logorrhea)Has 10Logorrhea been investigated as a cure?
Maybe there's difficulty in picking the right base, but it just seems such an obvious approach to the problem.

jjimm
08-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Gobshiteis.

devilsknew
08-10-2006, 01:15 PM
What do you call that disease where people are so self-absorbed, uncaring, and rude that they are compelled to ignore people that are talking to them, or worse yet, tell them to shut up?

Oh yea, I remember!

Assholia Jerkinossis!

JohnT
08-10-2006, 01:35 PM
In my household, the disease is called "being four years-old". ;)

Zsofia
08-10-2006, 01:51 PM
I believe its called diarrhea of the mouth.

The last two people I encountered with this disorder happened to be male. And I'm a management consultant who primarily works with lawyers so I'm used to Chatty kathy's. I still had to be like "dude, shut the fuck up!"
Often presents in combination with constipation of the brain, in my experience.

I know several people like that (all female, not that that means anything.) Drives me up a wall.

picunurse
08-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Interesting. The main person I know who does this is my aunt, who is, in fact, a middle child.

What's your thinking here?
I only have a minute, so no cite right now. I'll be back later with what ever I can find.

In the study of family dynamics, it's been found that middle children get less attention from parents than the youngest and the oldest. This causes them to call attention to themselves in any way they can. It's a "look at me" response to being less noticed as children than their sibs.

picunurse
08-10-2006, 05:45 PM
I did a quick search and found this chart on birth order (http://childdevelopmentinfo.com/development/birth_order.htm). I'll look for something more when I get home.

Mister Rik
08-10-2006, 08:41 PM
There's a woman in my town with this problem. She's known as "Five Dollar Donna" because, well, you can figure it out. The drugs have messed her up something fierce, and you don't want to sit anywhere near her (say, at the bus station) because she'll start talking and talking and talking, generally on topics that you just really didn't need to hear. She does this regardless of who's around - small children, the elderly ...

Then there was a guy I knew who was developmentally disabled. He could sit quietly for long periods of time, reading, listening to music, watching TV, what have you - if he was alone. But the instant somebody else would walk into the room, it was like putting a quarter in the machine. Instant "blablablablablablablablablablablabla..."

twickster
08-10-2006, 09:10 PM
In the study of family dynamics, it's been found that middle children get less attention from parents than the youngest and the oldest. This causes them to call attention to themselves in any way they can. It's a "look at me" response to being less noticed as children than their sibs.

Makes sense. Thanks.

(BTW, my sister, who's the middle child of three, doesn't do this behavior.)

Harriet the Spry
08-10-2006, 09:22 PM
This can be an instrument of control and denial. I used to tend this way myself, although I think I've been over it for a while now. It's like, if I can keep talking about all this nice, normal, pleasant conversation, I won't have to turn my attention to stuff that really hurts, or I don't understand, or am afraid of. The talking, ostensibly a conversation, becomes a defense mechanism.

Master Wang-Ka
08-10-2006, 09:29 PM
When I worked the graveyard shift at the psych hospital, I ran across any number of people like this. Something about 'em just couldn't stand the quiet.

Most of them, however, were capable of carrying on an actual conversation. But we did have a couple I remember who were really bad about that -- their speech was not so much "conversation" as "monologue."

Developed a bit of an attitude about people like that. Particularly since one of 'em decided I was rude for picking up my book and going back to what I was reading when it became clear that my input was neither expected nor welcome...

picunurse
08-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Makes sense. Thanks.

(BTW, my sister, who's the middle child of three, doesn't do this behavior.)
That just means your parents shared their attention more equally. :)

Xema
08-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Has 10Logorrhea been investigated as a cure?
It's unnatural.

fishbicycle
08-11-2006, 01:00 AM
My father-in-law has this unfortunate condition. Unfortunate for everybody else but him. He will start telling you something, and he'll go on without pause for more than an hour, if no one gets up to leave. By three thousand words, you can't remember what he started about, he hasn't gone anywhere and shows no signs of all this talking leading up to something. By twelve thousand words, you wish the floor would open up and swallow you. His family has had to put up with it for more than 30 years, although I don't know how bad he was back then.

He seems to have no internal editor, and is compelled to tell you every thought that's on his mind and how it connects to every other thought in his mind. He speaks very slowly and deliberately. There is no room for input. He doesn't ask any questions, nor yield the floor to the opposition... nothing. Despite his other wonderful qualities as a human being, this inability to shut the hell up for a change has left him with no lasting friends from a 30-year career, and family members who are certain never to ask him anything if they don't absolutely have to. They have learned to fear how long the answer will take.

We don't know what drives him to be like that. He isn't violent. He doesn't drink. He doesn't have any formal education, and only cursory social skills. We're pretty sure he isn't mentally unbalanced...at least we're hoping so. Maybe it's passive aggression, and he gets off somehow on keeping an audience captive against their will. Or maybe he has no idea what a crushing boor he really is, despite all the evidence and the consequences. If only anything he had to say was interesting, he might be a fascinating guy. Nah, it ain't gonna happen.

devilsknew
08-11-2006, 03:37 AM
My father-in-law has this unfortunate condition. Unfortunate for everybody else but him. He will start telling you something, and he'll go on without pause for more than an hour, if no one gets up to leave. By three thousand words, you can't remember what he started about, he hasn't gone anywhere and shows no signs of all this talking leading up to something. By twelve thousand words, you wish the floor would open up and swallow you. His family has had to put up with it for more than 30 years, although I don't know how bad he was back then.

He seems to have no internal editor, and is compelled to tell you every thought that's on his mind and how it connects to every other thought in his mind. He speaks very slowly and deliberately. There is no room for input. He doesn't ask any questions, nor yield the floor to the opposition... nothing. Despite his other wonderful qualities as a human being, this inability to shut the hell up for a change has left him with no lasting friends from a 30-year career, and family members who are certain never to ask him anything if they don't absolutely have to. They have learned to fear how long the answer will take.

We don't know what drives him to be like that. He isn't violent. He doesn't drink. He doesn't have any formal education, and only cursory social skills. We're pretty sure he isn't mentally unbalanced...at least we're hoping so. Maybe it's passive aggression, and he gets off somehow on keeping an audience captive against their will. Or maybe he has no idea what a crushing boor he really is, despite all the evidence and the consequences. If only anything he had to say was interesting, he might be a fascinating guy. Nah, it ain't gonna happen.

Shades of your Father-In-Law. Does it ever occur to you that your libido is stimulated by the logos of your wife... perhaps you are a substitute with your apparent wordieness? Attracted to your alternate?

SnakesCatLady
08-11-2006, 03:53 AM
I have a friend who is like that - I think she's afraid of silence. She will let others talk (occasionally) but if no one else is talking she will be. That includes during TV shows, movies, etc. There are few things more frustrating to me than to be invited over to watch a movie, only to have her talk through the entire damned thing.

fishbicycle
08-11-2006, 08:47 AM
Shades of your Father-In-Law. Does it ever occur to you that your libido is stimulated by the logos of your wife... perhaps you are a substitute with your apparent wordieness? Attracted to your alternate?
Does it ever occur to you that you are an insulting moron? One who has no business commenting on things he knows nothing about?

samclem
08-11-2006, 09:07 AM
[Moderator blows whistle!!!!!]

devilsknew and fishbicycle.

This is General Questions. Try to keep personalities out of discussions.

samclem GQ moderator

vivalostwages
08-11-2006, 03:05 PM
1. Bipolar disorder
2. ADHD
3. Stimulant drug use
4. Schizophrenia
5. Social ineptness
6. Nervousness
7. Happiness
8. Recent trauma
9. Being a middle child
10. Recent isolation with small children.

I'm sure there are others. Excessive talking, in itself, isn't a pathology.

During his last days, my dad chattered like crazy. He had stage 2 Alzheimer's and was possibly going into stage 3. He had never yakked like that before. It was hard to get him to stop talking long enough to take a bite of food.

Ellen Cherry
08-11-2006, 03:34 PM
fishbicycle's description of his father-in-law reminds me of a woman I work with, though she's nowhere near as verbose as some of the compulsive chatters mentioned in this thread. It's the "no internal editor" that reminds me of her. She seems compelled to voice every thought that comes to her, no matter how obvious.

I don't have to deal with her much, but I'm on an employee committee that plans social events with her. We'll be discussing an idea, the result of which is perfectly obvious to everyone, yet she has to say it aloud.

Discussion topic: what to serve for the luncheon. Idea: "Why don't we offer hamburgers AND hotdogs?" She'll jump in with, "yes, and then everyone can get what they want, whether they like hamburgers or hotdogs--nobody will have to choose. Say you like hot dogs: you can get those. Or--if you like hamburgers, well, then there will be those too. It works out for everyone." :smack: :rolleyes:

Best Topics: arrow symbols topsoil menards nail polish puns abdessalam jelloul 1800 junk cost charlie sheen muscles 60 iq sarmatian cavalry frere jacques translation arsenic addiction guinness glass numbers 1800gotjunk pricing medieval trident justice robe william shatner height pacifism is immoral drawstring bed sheets stanley rapes blanche sinus plug batman papa spank sailor's cap genna gamble eat your wheaties buick commercials annoying your worship goomba meaning idjit meaning alexei panshin confederate sympathizer space shuttle cables prussia poland microwave door handles minimum trade in smelly slippers average pitch speed in 1960 how to keep satin sheets on the bed is trapped in the closet supposed to be funny what kind of fish does long john silver use protect leather couch from cat i forgot to show up for jury duty in cook county what kind of doctor for wrist pain was that 70s show live audience i love the cold rush limbaugh satellite radio channel how much to put a cat to sleep do i need a junction box to install a light giving me the vapors how long can you live with one lung how to pronounce princess leia best grass for under oak trees does denorex kill lice how to keep cats off screen doors time period of pirates of the caribbean faberge black widow spider brooch value difference between pizza sauce and pasta sauce motor board honor society student of the month quotes how to delete blank page on google docs what does a nicotine craving feel like skin red and warm to touch key turns but wont unlock car door how to not be uptight so it is written so shall it be why are the fastest swimmers in the middle lanes rubber bands on football players arms why does my nose hurt when i breathe why am i not thirsty eyeglass prescription expiration by state how much tylenol does it take to kill you how to get front row tickets