PDA

View Full Version : Songs that make you go "???"

Diceman
10-27-2006, 11:59 AM
The radio at work is tuned to the oldies station, and some of these songs are just beyond comprehension to my turn-of-the-millenium mind. Hopefully, some of the older Dopers around here can clue me in to what the artists are talking about.

First is "Brick House" by the Commodores.

She's a brick

house

She's mighty mighty

Just lettin' it all hang out.
Is this supposed to be a compliment? It sounds like he's praising this woman, but every woman I know would be insulted by such a description. (And yes, I have asked several female friends about this song. None of them would feel flattered by being compared to a large masonery ediface.)

The other song I'm wondering about is the Rolling Stones' "Jumpin' Jack Flash." What the heck is this song about? "Jumpin' Jack Flash is a gas gas gas." Uh, OK, whatever you say Mick. If it gets cold enough, does Jack become a liquid liquid liquid?

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
10-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Actually, it's "I'm Jumpin' Jack Flash, it's a gas, gas gas." "It's a gas" is an [apparently obsolete, damn you young whippersnappers] expression meaning, roughly, "The situation is excellent."

Another colloquialism you need to know is "She's built like a brick shithouse." (Note the pause between the words "brick" and "house" in the song.) Not the nicest way to compliment a woman to her face, but they are singing in the third person, after all.

WOOKINPANUB
10-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Biffy, I was aware of the phrase "brick shithouse" but never associated it with this song. I mean, I completely understand the what the singer is trying to convey, but didn't connect it to the old term. You mention a pause between "brick" and "house" (or howwwwwwwwwse, as it were); does the original version have the word "shit" in it and it's just blanked out for radio play?

And Dicemen, don't forget the lyric "that lady's stacked and that's a fact, aint holdin' nothing back"

jali
10-27-2006, 12:33 PM
I've always disliked the song, "She's a Bad Mamma Jamma (mammer-jammer?)

I don't want to be a mamma-jamma!

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
10-27-2006, 12:42 PM
You mention a pause between "brick" and "house" (or howwwwwwwwwse, as it were); does the original version have the word "shit" in it and it's just blanked out for radio play?
No, I didn't mean to imply that. But by leaving that long pause between the two words of the title, the singer, I think, clearly means to imply the naughty expression.

Ultros
10-27-2006, 12:55 PM
While I was aware of the connection of the "Brick House" to the aforementioned colloquialism, I have never understood why that expression is considered a positive description of a woman's looks. As Diceman kind of implied, when I think of a woman with a nice figure, a comparison to a masonry structure intended for defecation is not exactly the first thing that comes to mind. Can someone explain this?

Thudlow Boink
10-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Can someone explain this?Perhaps Cecil can. How did the phrase "built like a brick shithouse" get to be a compliment? (https://academicpursuits.us/columns/030704.html)

Yorikke
10-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Another colloquialism you need to know is "She's built like a brick shithouse." (Note the pause between the words "brick" and "house" in the song.) Not the nicest way to compliment a woman to her face, but they are singing in the third person, after all.

When I was a kid (New Jersey, 1970s-1980s), my dad used the term to mean an extremely muscular man - "He's built like a brick shithouse!" Really strong, see?

Joe

WhyNot
10-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Moving into the current, can someone please explain John Mayer's "Waiting on the World to Change"? (lyrics here) (http://moron.nl/lyrics.php?id=83928&artist=John%20Mayer) At first listen, it sounds like a good ol' fashioned change the world rabble rouser, a la Woody Guthrie or Bob Dylan. Then I listen to the actual words, and it's like the themesong to political and social apathy:
it's not that we don't care,
we just know that the fight ain't fair
so we keep on waiting
waiting on the world to change

and we're still waiting
we keep on waiting waiting on the world to change
one day our generation
is gonna rule the population
so we keep on waiting
Is it supporting or decrying apathy? Or is it just noting its existence? It makes me cringe, to think that even the songwriters of today just don't give a rat's ass. If the fucking pinko commie librul artists don't speak out against The Man, who will?

Power to the peo--- ooh, shiny!

Lemur866
10-27-2006, 01:50 PM
While I was aware of the connection of the "Brick House" to the aforementioned colloquialism, I have never understood why that expression is considered a positive description of a woman's looks. As Diceman kind of implied, when I think of a woman with a nice figure, a comparison to a masonry structure intended for defecation is not exactly the first thing that comes to mind. Can someone explain this?
The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'
That's what I said

Foldup Rabbit
10-27-2006, 01:58 PM
In Louisiana, I heard the same corny zydeco song at every single shop: Don't Mess With My Toot-Toot. I have no idea who sang it, and, to this day, have no idea what a toot-toot is or why someone is messing with his.

Crotalus
10-27-2006, 02:07 PM
In Louisiana, I heard the same corny zydeco song at every single shop: Don't Mess With My Toot-Toot. I have no idea who sang it, and, to this day, have no idea what a toot-toot is or why someone is messing with his.That would be Rockin' Sydney. I've seen it spelled toot toot and tout tout; the latter spelling suggests it might mean something like "my everything". I think John Fogerty covered it.

Scribble
10-27-2006, 02:11 PM
I heard the "toot toot" song sung by a woman. I think it migh have been this rendition (http://lyrics.webfitz.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=82).

My guess is that "toot toot" means "butt."

Robot Arm
10-27-2006, 02:12 PM
At the risk of killing this thread:

Spring was never waiting for us, girl
It ran one step ahead
As we followed in the dance
Between the parted pages and were pressed
In love's hot, fevered iron
Like a striped pair of pants

MacArthur Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green icing flowing down
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again
Oh, no!

Nonsuch
10-27-2006, 02:27 PM
That would be Rockin' Sydney. I've seen it spelled toot toot and tout tout; the latter spelling suggests it might mean something like "my everything". I think John Fogerty covered it.One theory is that it comes from the French tout, meaning "all," so "my toot-toot" would indeed mean "my everything."

ouryL
10-27-2006, 03:53 PM

T always thought that mamma-jamma was a euphemism for Ma'r Fu'r!

Exapno Mapcase
10-27-2006, 05:07 PM
"Brick House" is the same code as "Baby Got Back."

I'm tired of magazines
Sayin' flat butts are the thing
Take the average black man and ask him that
She gotta pack much back
So, fellas! (Yeah!) Fellas! (Yeah!)
Has your girlfriend got the butt? (Hell yeah!)
Tell 'em to shake it! (Shake it!) Shake it! (Shake it!)
Shake that healthy butt!
Baby got back!

Women with big butts being preferred has been a part of black culture, whether stereotyped or real, for the last century. Have you never listened to Jay Leno teasing Kevin Eubanks?

vivalostwages
10-27-2006, 05:18 PM
I have never understood System of a Down's song "Chop Suey."

Emily Litella
10-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Surrealism was big back in the late 60's, ala the Beatles Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Club band. It was cool to sound esoteric, even if it didn't make much sense and you could try to give meaning to the words when you were stoned. "Pressed between the pages" refers to pressing flowers between the pages of a book. Striped pants were in fashion at the time. When you iron your pants, they're pressed. Take a bunch of randomly related sentences, put them all togher and you get....
I got nuthin.

Ludy
10-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Hooka tooka (http://lyricsdownload.com/checker-chubby-hooka-tooka-lyrics.html) by Chubby Checker has always confused me.
Hooka Tooka my soda cracker
Does your momma chaw tobacca
If ya momma chaw tobacca,say
Hooka Tooka my soda cracker

What in the world do tobacco and soda crackers have in common? And why does it make a song?

Sonia Montdore
10-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Can anybody explain America's "A Horse With No Name"? It just always struck me as the unlikeliest song imaginable to become a hit. Lyhttp://lyricsfreak.com/a/america/a+horse+with+no+name_20007105.htmlrics here:

Foldup Rabbit
10-27-2006, 06:17 PM
You know, I have a passing understanding of French and a pretty decent understanding of French influence in the south. And yet, that whole "tout tout" thing never occurred to me. Thanks for clearing up something that has mildly bugged me for years.

kaylasdad99
10-27-2006, 06:18 PM
While out driving with my daughter a couple of weeks ago, I heard Dance With My Father by the late Luther Vandross. It suddenly occurred to me that the ending is rather ghoulish. Consider:
Verse 1. Fond memories of a happy family with a much-loved child.
Verse 2. Bittersweet memory of the child's last interaction with dear Papa
Bridge Ruminations on how loney the child's mother is, now her man is gone.
Verse 3. Child prays for father's corpse to be reanimated and returned to the world of the living as a zombie.

HUH?

Mister Rik
10-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Can anybody explain America's "A Horse With No Name"? It just always struck me as the unlikeliest song imaginable to become a hit. Lyhttp://lyricsfreak.com/a/america/a+horse+with+no+name_20007105.htmlrics here:
I prefer This version (bobrivers.com/player/lyrics.asp?SongID=947).

Audio file here (bobrivers.com/audiovault/tunes/tunes.asp?Var=O).

I notice the published lyrics don't include the "Allah, bla, bla bla bla bla ..."

crowmanyclouds
10-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Can anybody explain America's "A Horse With No Name"?...How about Dewey Bunnell, the writer,
from the box set booklet (http://accessbackstage.com/america/song/song005.htm),
...A tune as famous as this one deserves a detailed explanation, though Bunnell suggests that its meaning has evolved over time: "I was messing around with some open tunings--I tuned the A string way down to an E, and I found this little chord, and I just moved my two fingers back and forth, and the entire song came from basically three chords. I wanted to capture the imagery of the desert, because I was sitting in this room in England, and it was rainy. The rain was starting to get to us, and I wanted to capture the desert and the heat and the dryness."

The imagery came from Dewey's childhood: "I had spent a good deal of time poking around in the high desert with my brother when we lived at Vandenberg Air Force Base [in California]. And we'd drive through Arizona and New Mexico. I loved the cactus and the heat. I was trying to capture the sights and sounds of the desert, and there was an environmental message at the end. But it's grown to mean more for me. I see now that this anonymous horse was a vehicle to get me away from all the confusion and chaos of life to a peaceful, quiet place."...
CMC fnord!

Hilarity N. Suze
10-27-2006, 11:54 PM
:confused: or misheard lyrics (or both)

"Has anybody hear seen the [somethingsomething] loving cup explosion
I think we missed it
[something something something]... sky slipping into the ocean

[Three chords, two more chords, as if they're supposed to sound like something]

Don't give me your hand me down world..."

Or something like that. I have been hearing this stupid sound for maybe 30 years without actually hearing it. Don't know who sang it. Don't much care.

But . . . loving cup explosion? I have to be hearing that one wrong!

Chum
10-27-2006, 11:57 PM
In Usher's "Caught Up," he says:

Her body was so tight
I'm lookin' for her in the daytime with a flashlight.

What the heck? My mom thinks it's some kind of vaginal reference, but that just seems so gross!

vivalostwages, I kinda think the beginning of "Chop Suey" is an homage to "I'll Say a Little Prayer."

Greywolf73
10-28-2006, 12:02 AM

I've never understood their "On the Radio" song. "I'm on the radio with Dannnnny and Liiiiiiisa, la, la, la la, la la...."

Repeat for 4 minutes.

What?!

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
10-28-2006, 12:05 AM
But . . . loving cup explosion? I have to be hearing that one wrong!
Not just a loving cup explosion...but a fuzzy wuzzy loving cup explosion. (http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/h/handmedownworld.shtml) And it was the Guess Who.

Leaper
10-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Well, "Things That Make You Go 'Hmm'" makes me go...

Oh, never mind.

Hilarity N. Suze
10-28-2006, 12:45 AM
Not just a loving cup explosion...but a fuzzy wuzzy loving cup explosion. (http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/h/handmedownworld.shtml) And it was the Guess Who.

Okay, I am here to confess that "fuzzy wuzzy loving cup explosion" was exactly what I thought I heard. But I was sure that it could not be (I mean in particular the fuzzy wuzzy part, because I actually thought I must have misheard all of it. Consistently. For decades).

dotchan
10-28-2006, 01:28 PM

Well, because my little brother is a SoaD fan, I got to listen to that song more times than I cared to. As far as I can tell, it seems to be about an emo teenager who's into cutting himself.

I totally prefer Weird Al's take on it in "Angry White Boy Polka".

o/ Die die die die diediediediedie HEY! o/ :D

MsWhich
10-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Okay. The Killers. "Somebody Told Me."

Well somebody told me
That you had a boyfriend
Who looks like a girlfriend
That I had in February of last year
It's not confidential
I've got potential

Ready? Let's roll onto something new
Taking its toll and I'm leaving without you
Cause heaven ain't close in a place like this
I said heaven ain't close in a place like this
Bring it back down, bring it back down tonight
Never thought I'd let a rumor ruin my whole life

WHAT RUMOR? His girlfriend had a sex change? What the hell is going on in this song?

panache45
10-28-2006, 02:32 PM
When I saw this thread title, I immediately thought of "You're So Vain." (If this song's not about me, then what do you mean by the word "you"?)

That song makes my brain hurt.

Lucky 13
10-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Okay. The Killers. "Somebody Told Me."

WHAT RUMOR? His girlfriend had a sex change? What the hell is going on in this song?

As I understand it, his ex-girlfriend is now a (butch) lesbian, and is dating the girl he is now chasing. Hence the "rumor".

So then why the hell is he breaking his back just to know her name? :confused:

Now someone please explain "Mr. Brightside"

Marley23
10-28-2006, 02:53 PM
When I saw this thread title, I immediately thought of "You're So Vain." (If this song's not about me, then what do you mean by the word "you"?)
It's humor, and she's not identifying the "you" in question so that the real target of the song, in his vanity, will assume it's about him.

Sonia Montdore
10-28-2006, 04:09 PM
How about Dewey Bunnell, the writer,
from the box set booklet (http://accessbackstage.com/america/song/song005.htm),
CMC fnord!

Thanks, CMC! I appreciate your taking the time to type in that explanation from the booklet.

Chefguy
10-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Surrealism was big back in the late 60's, ala the Beatles Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Club band. It was cool to sound esoteric, even if it didn't make much sense and you could try to give meaning to the words when you were stoned. "Pressed between the pages" refers to pressing flowers between the pages of a book. Striped pants were in fashion at the time. When you iron your pants, they're pressed. Take a bunch of randomly related sentences, put them all togher and you get....
I got nuthin.

I saw an interview with Richard Harris (the song was written by Jimmy Webb) wherein he was asked about the meaning behind the lyrics. His answer was "I've no freakin' idea", and intimated that it was written while the author was under the heavy influence of an hallucinogen.

Sonia Montdore
10-28-2006, 09:32 PM
The Clash's "Rock the Casbah" is a song I really like, but I've never understood what it's actually about. The lyrics are here:
http://sing365.com/music/Lyric.nsf/Rock-the-Casbah-lyrics-The-Clash/6BC5F672F9AD8EC4482568AB00317382

Can anybody explain what this song means? I was also wondering, since the lyrics seems to be anti-Islamic, are radio stations afraid to play it nowadays?

JThunder
10-28-2006, 11:39 PM
"Coast to coast, L.A. to... Chicago?"

glee
10-29-2006, 04:51 AM

That song makes my brain hurt.

The persistent rumour is that it's about someone famous that Carly Simon knew.
And she sold the name for $50,000! :eek:

http://usatoday.com/life/music/news/2003-08-05-simon-vain_x.htm

It's a great song. :cool:

Push You Down
10-29-2006, 09:32 AM
The Clash's "Rock the Casbah" is a song I really like, but I've never understood what it's actually about. The lyrics are here:
http://sing365.com/music/Lyric.nsf/Rock-the-Casbah-lyrics-The-Clash/6BC5F672F9AD8EC4482568AB00317382

Can anybody explain what this song means? I was also wondering, since the lyrics seems to be anti-Islamic, are radio stations afraid to play it nowadays?

The video is also vaguely anti-Semitic as well. Even as a kid in the 80s that video always skeeved me out.

BrainGlutton
10-29-2006, 10:51 AM
I remember a song from an old Kingston Trio album -- the guy says his beloved is "packed like a seed in a grape." Not a phrase I would use as an erotic compliment, but the intent is clearer than the semantics.

Lamar Mundane
10-29-2006, 11:45 AM
What's this one about that's getting a lot of airplay right now?

It goes -

I'm paralyzed, I'm paralyzed
Stuck in the middle and I'm paralyzed
The only way to cope is to realize

I can't tell if
1) It's a metaphor (for what?)
2) It is literal, or
3) They just like the way the words sounded when lumped together

Lilacs
10-29-2006, 11:54 AM
The video is also vaguely anti-Semitic as well. Even as a kid in the 80s that video always skeeved me out.

I always assumed that Rock the Casbah was anti-fundamentalism, not anti-Islam or anti-semitic.

Chefguy
10-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Blinded By The Light. WTF are they going on about?

MsWhich
10-29-2006, 12:20 PM
"Coast to coast, L.A. to... Chicago?"

They're clearly talking about the coast of Lake Michigan, of course!

kaylasdad99
10-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Not just a loving cup explosion...but a fuzzy wuzzy loving cup explosion. (http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/h/handmedownworld.shtml) And it was the Guess Who.The Dave Clark Five?

Polycarp
10-29-2006, 05:21 PM

"The mama pajama rolled out of bed, and she ran to the po-lice station. When people found out, they began to shout, and that started the investigation. It was against the law." - Paul Simon, Me and Julio, Down by the Schoolyard

Civil Guy
10-29-2006, 09:47 PM
Blinded By The Light. WTF are they going on about?
As I make it, insider references to the music industry. Anyhow, it sounds cool.

bouv
10-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Now someone please explain "Mr. Brightside"

To me, it seems that the singer is in love with a woman who is dating another guy, and he gets upset at what he sees them doing together, whether or not they are (hence, the 'it's all in my head' line.)

Dr McChoakumchild
11-11-2006, 01:49 AM
The other song I'm wondering about is the Rolling Stones' "Jumpin' Jack Flash." What the heck is this song about?

OK... I've heard from several (baby-boomer English) sources that this song is autobiographically about Richards and Jagger, or at least about their class and generation.

I was born in a cross-fire hurricane = the London Blitz or WWII in general.

I was schooled with a strap right across my back, = references a working-class childhood.

I was drowned, I was washed up and left for dead. I fell down to my feet and I saw they bled. Yeah, yeah, I frowned at the crumbs of a crust of bread. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I was crowned with a spike right through my head = references to legal problems, drug use, etc.

Or you could go with the fact that "Jack Flash" is an old slang term for heroin.

Whatever, it's still a great song.

mr. jp
11-11-2006, 03:25 AM
What does "fronting" mean in the pussycat dolls song "buttons", and why would anybody do it instead of loosening up her buttons?

gredbioz
11-11-2006, 07:40 AM
What does "fronting" mean in the pussycat dolls song "buttons", and why would anybody do it instead of loosening up her buttons?
Fronting means posturing or posing, roughly. See, for instance Pharrell Williams song, "Frontin'":

I know that I'm carrying on,
Nevermind if I'm showing off
I was just frontin' (you know I want ya babe)
I'm ready to bet it all, unless you don't care at all
But you know I want ya (you should stop frontin' babe)
In this song, both Pharrell and his lover are putting on a front to hide their true feelings. In the Pussycat Dolls song, the Dolls sing:
I'm telling you to loosen up my buttons babe
But you keep frontin'
Sayin' what you gon' do to me
But I ain't seen nothin'
In this song the girls are complaining that their lover is all talk and no action. He's willing to talk about all the dirty things he wants to do, but when it comes down to it, he's just messing around and unprepared to give them the satisfaction they want.

Moving into the current, can someone please explain John Mayer's "Waiting on the World to Change"? (lyrics here) (http://moron.nl/lyrics.php?id=83928&artist=John%20Mayer) At first listen, it sounds like a good ol' fashioned change the world rabble rouser, a la Woody Guthrie or Bob Dylan. Then I listen to the actual words, and it's like the themesong to political and social apathy:

Is it supporting or decrying apathy? Or is it just noting its existence? It makes me cringe, to think that even the songwriters of today just don't give a rat's ass. If the fucking pinko commie librul artists don't speak out against The Man, who will?

Power to the peo--- ooh, shiny!
I really dislike John Mayer, but I find the theme of this song surprisingly resonant. I'm not sure whether it's a generational thing or not, but I find that the song's message is less apathetic and more resigned. Us pinko commie libruls held big protests against the Iraq war, and the Republicans invaded anyway. We kept up our criticism at the bloodshed and corruption surrounding the occupation, and the Republicans just kept doing what they were doing, even as the justification for their actions collapsed beneath their feet. We railed against the administration's incompetency and the public re-elected that administration. The majority's opinion turned against the war effort, but, still, there is no exit route, because to leave now is just as difficult as to stay. The Democrats take Congress, but it doesn't mean the fighting in Iraq will end or the troops will be able to come home. In these times, the only hope seems to wait for the world to change, and then, next time round, give it a better shot. The song is a rejection of idealism and a lament of powerlessness. What more can a protest song be when the only options being presented are "cut and run" or "stay the course," with both just as likely to end up in more bodybags coming home and greater violence breaking out abroad? It doesn't

FriarTed
11-11-2006, 07:44 AM

I can't hear that without thinking of SCTV's Dave Thomas doing Richard Harris singing McA Park & then swim-dancing during the musical interlude.

Tully Mars
11-11-2006, 09:21 AM

This is a little weak, but I've always think WTF??? when I hear "Ventura Highway" with the line "... alligator lizards in the air ..."

With my limited knowledge of Spanish, this translates as "... the lizard lizards in the air ..." from the department of redundancy department.

Now I'll be playing that crap in my head all day.

Stan Shmenge
11-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Waiting for the break of day
Searching for something to say
Flashing lights against the sky
Giving up I close my eyes

[ Lyrics deleted -- CKDH ]

Musta been some good weed...

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
11-11-2006, 11:41 AM
With my limited knowledge of Spanish, this translates as "... the lizard lizards in the air ..." from the department of redundancy department.
No need to go all bilingual. The alligator lizard (http://californiaherps.com/identification/lizardsid/elgaria.id.html) (Elgaria multicarinata) is a common reptile in Ventura County, as well as much of the rest of California. The weird bit is "in the air." I've handled many an alligator lizard in my day, and can assure you that they neither fly nor leap. The little fuckers sure do bite, though.

SSG Schwartz
11-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Waiting for the break of day
Searching for something to say
Flashing lights against the sky

Musta been some good weed...

IIRC, the song is about the difficulty of writing a song. The singer is trying to meet a deadline for writing a song and is making one out of the experience of writer's block. He has stayed up until after 330 in the morning and this is the best he could come up with.
The title refers to the time. (It is 25 or 26 minutes until 400am.)

Now could somebody explain the story of Duke by Genesis. I've listened to that album many times with many different chemical enhancements, and I still can't see the story.

Sgt Schwartz

C K Dexter Haven
11-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Happy Wanderer, we do not permit quoting full lyrics here, that's potentially a copyright violation. Please see:Forum Rules: PLEASE READ (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=343601) and note Post #2. You may quote a line or two from a song, and then provide a link to a website that has the rights to publish the entire song lyrics.

Sgt, since you quoted Happy in full, I deleted the lyrics from your post as well.

Y'all might also check our Archives: What does the Chicago lyric "25 or 6 to 4" mean? (https://academicpursuits.us/mailbag/m25or6to4.html)

Dr. Rieux
11-11-2006, 07:02 PM
This is a little weak, but I've always think WTF??? when I hear "Ventura Highway" with the line "... alligator lizards in the air ..."

Now I'll be playing that crap in my head all day.
FWIW, according to Wikipedia, the songwriter saw some clouds in the sky while driving said highway and thought they were shaped like said lizards.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: refinish corian counter flight of stair oral cocaine straight circle jerk excessive talking disorder agin tablets define spotted dick whats an instep godsend movie ending anne rice fanfiction dolphin water rings leftover pork chop recipe sump pump antifreeze device bastard out of carolina rape where's your messiah now what is the best fabric dye pro flowers delivery time encyclopedia britannica 11th edition value do fish make noise belt left or right pop tart with butter router not giving ip address