PDA

View Full Version : Tree Grows in Brooklyn....what was in the package that Sissy gave Francie and Neely?

SkiDemon
11-04-2006, 11:44 PM
There's a scene in Tree Grows in Brooklyn, where Aunt Sissy comes over, to play but then realizes that she has something to do. She leaves the kids alone with a box from her factory, that says "American Dreams" with a picture of a man having a ciggerette. She tells the kids that they must not open the box. She then leaves. They open the box anyway, and they hang it out the window. However, the book never says what was in the box. Anyone know?

SparrowHawk
11-05-2006, 01:55 AM
Sissy worked in a rubber factory. They made a few novelty toys, but it's implied that their main business was condoms.

UntouchedTakeaway
11-05-2006, 06:54 AM
There's a scene in Tree Grows in Brooklyn, where Aunt Sissy comes over, to play but then realizes that she has something to do. She leaves the kids alone with a box from her factory, that says "American Dreams" with a picture of a man having a ciggerette. She tells the kids that they must not open the box. She then leaves. They open the box anyway, and they hang it out the window. However, the book never says what was in the box. Anyone know?

I always assumed it was either condoms or some sort of blow-up adult gag of some sort.

One of my all-time favorite books.

VCNJ~

Walloon
11-05-2006, 10:30 AM
From the book:Sissy brought Francie a present, a corn cob pipe that you blew into and a rubber hen popped up and swelled over the pipe bowl. The pipe came from Sissy's factory. The factory made a few rubber toys as a blind. It made its big profits from other rubber articles which were bought in whispers.

Revtim
11-05-2006, 10:49 AM
I hear it was Marcellus Wallace's soul.

Walloon
11-05-2006, 02:01 PM
My impression is that they didn't just hang the condom out the window, they thought it was a balloon and inflated it, hence the string that they tied to it, with the other end of the string under the closed window sash.

The parents are so horribly embarassed when they discover it, they move the family to a new neighborhood!

SkiDemon
11-05-2006, 07:41 PM
. It made its big profits from other rubber articles which were bought in whispers.
yeah, but they don't say what those "other" rubber things are.
I had thought it was a condom...........LOL........kinda funny seeing how uptight some societies were. Now we blow them up for parties!

Best Topics: lost ipass jay leno jaywalk sideways traffic lights swallowing crystal meth transitional lens negotiable bond tombstone engravers opposite of irony nevus removal cost funny emotion pair of underwear w2 only meaning insulation washers glockenspiel songs cisco wine stories socks spanish joke gazuntite wiki alaskan accents krelboyne meaning jake brake sound 1930s fonts btn number tazmanian devil pet naked steam room bedsitter people thetruth com mole removal cost oil on roads book replay magician prediction trick joey coyle wire t connector chair lifting experiment explanation what are the seeds in breastfed baby poop who made money in the great depression christopher walken christmas song cat safe mouse traps 4 cylinder vs v6 don't have a phone number for yahoo half asian half white blue eyes how to pronounce lawyer price is right perfect bid sweat shop free shoes record player sounds distorted where did the money go during the great depression chimney lining installation cost renting a vending machine penny on train tracks does grammar include punctuation how to view friend activity on steam cashing a check in your business name how big is 50 feet is a pool worth it heart disease in literature how much does a doctor's visit cost sdds phone book delivery can i use my dish as an antenna best place to buy packing tape russian style hat name enjoy the rest of your day why do people stare at me how long does a movie stay in theater cannot tell a lie best fast money family feud