PDA

View Full Version : Need a "hollow letters" font

NoCoolUserName
02-05-2007, 04:20 PM
My daughter (just turned 5) has a visual problem such that she has trouble drawing letters. She can, however, stay inside the lines when she draws. I'm hoping that I can find a font where the letters are hollow and she can just stay inside the lines to write the letters. I think it will give her some confidence and do some reflex training so eventually she can write letters on her own.

Does anyone know of a free or low-cost font like that?

freckafree
02-05-2007, 04:26 PM
My daughter (just turned 5) has a visual problem such that she has trouble drawing letters. She can, however, stay inside the lines when she draws. I'm hoping that I can find a font where the letters are hollow and she can just stay inside the lines to write the letters. I think it will give her some confidence and do some reflex training so eventually she can write letters on her own.

Does anyone know of a free or low-cost font like that?

I think you might be able to achieve what you want by picking a simple, sans serif font like Arial and, under character formatting, applying the "outline" format. It's one of the options like "shadow," etc.

Don't fight the hypothetical
02-05-2007, 04:36 PM
You should be able find one here (http://dafont.com/).
They're free for personal use.

zut
02-05-2007, 04:41 PM
MS Word also has "Word Art," where you can warp and twist and color letters. I assume it's intented for banners and so forth. Anyway, their base font style is a large-point outline, which sounds like just what you need.

panache45
02-05-2007, 05:45 PM
I think you might be able to achieve what you want by picking a simple, sans serif font like Arial and, under character formatting, applying the "outline" format. It's one of the options like "shadow," etc.
Since she's only 5, I'd recommend an outline of Futura (or Limerick), rather than Arial.

WhyNot
02-05-2007, 06:01 PM
I don't see either Futura or Limerick on my edition of Word, but Century Gothic, sized up to 16 point or more, bolded and then turned into outline is just about perfect for the style of letters my kids had to learn. No flag on the a, nice rounded round bits and straight legs. Bolding is important - it gives more space between the outlines.

wolf_meister
02-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Have you tried looking at Desdemona font?
I think this is just what you want.

panache45
02-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Have you tried looking at Desdemona font?
I think this is just what you want.
Of all the outline fonts available, do you really want a 5-year-old to learn to make letters like that?

Stick with something really basic, like Futura.

gotpasswords
02-05-2007, 06:36 PM
As much as I hate it, and as much as it deserves to die, Comic Sans would work well for this as it looks like kids' writing, and should be on any Windows PC by default.

Type up your words or alphabets, then at the top menu, select Format, then Font, and somewhere in the middle of the window will be an Outline option. Check it, and at the top, set it as something like 18 point bold.

NoCoolUserName
02-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks. Y'all rock. I had no idea about the outline option.

groman
02-05-2007, 11:51 PM
I recommend Andika Font (http://sil.org/computing/catalog/show_software.asp?id=119). Most word processing software will have "Outline" as an option.

NoCoolUserName
02-06-2007, 01:55 PM
I recommend Andika Font (http://sil.org/computing/catalog/show_software.asp?id=119). Most word processing software will have "Outline" as an option.Perfect! Thank you! The Andika B is exactly what I need--no curve on the t, for example, very simple.

Best Topics: bands like journey dna urine monster truck noise craigslist posting limit artisans and craftsmen turret window zion isreal drowning process blue nosed gopher wordless workshop vertical stapler subcontracting tax pile of neutrons in ultio pace poe+ voltage medieval sledgehammer how curves works saint fe jane wyatt nude diet coke lemon ilan pronunciation polypropylene siding mrs russia finn cannon strip mall dark irish merthiolate color battery drained american beer sucks am pm commercial schwarzenegger translation heifer charities how to euthanize a fish with baking soda why was switzerland allowed to be neutral how do i delete a gmail account on my computer order of kitchen remodel file teeth with nail filer energy weapons fallout 3 why doesn't teller talk of penn and teller edible underwear made of neighbor feeds stray cats how much are tvs at pawn shops can chainmail stop a bullet la pelle du vide how long does cooked shrimp keep location fees for filming key cutting ace hardware combing hair to the left does apple juice need to be refrigerated doctor follow up after blood work how to counteract sodium intake nikola tesla death ray meme do you have prince albert in a can joke dating game tv show questions outie belly button black people how to get a screen out of a window proper disposal of microwave ovens how to get the ball out of ramune spider solitaire high score stars that move in the sky brake rotor resurface cost half a bottle of nyquil newlywed game in the butt bob granny beverly hillbillies hat