PDA

View Full Version : Where does one buy a cane?

friedo
02-14-2007, 09:06 PM
I really screwed up my ankle yesterday after stepping in a pothole. I don't need crutches, but I imagine a cane would be useful for a few days until I can put all my weight on it again. Problem is, I have no idea where to get one. Are there cane stores?

Man, I feel old.

KSO
02-14-2007, 09:08 PM
A medical supply store would definitely have canes. CVS or the like might also.

SkipMagic
02-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Try going to your local chain pharmacy such as Osco, Walgreens or CVS; they tend to carry a few canes. If not there, some of the area Wal-Marts and Targets have one or two to sell.

pFd
02-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Any medical supply store will have them.
http://medicalsupplygroup.com/CEXA728OO/product.aspx
Heres one online.

silenus
02-14-2007, 09:37 PM
I got mine at Walgreen's. Remember to keep your wrist close to your hip on the injured side, and press the end of the cane against your arch. That way your wrist won't bear all the weight unsupported.

Malienation
02-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Any drugstore will have them. Cheapest: round hook top, wooden body, saw off the end to adjust length. More bucks: more comfortable flat top, plastic body, adjustable length for multiple users. More bucks still: collapsible plastic body conveniently folds can down to about 1 foot long. Choose yer poison. I recommend the collapsible one, it's way more convenient. Even if you won't be using it long, you never know when you might need it again.

I hear you on the age thing. Although I'm in pretty good shape I realized I should have a cane around in case of a gout attack or a back problem. I spent a few hours online figuring things out. Never felt so old in my life. Next purchase: one of those curly horns you see in old cartoons that are meant to indicate the hard of hearing.

DrDeth
02-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Or, you can get a real cool one, with a silver head, nice wood, and some class, and flaunt it.

Oddly, most Pipe shops carry these, as well as some antique stores.

Kimstu
02-14-2007, 10:27 PM
When my mom temporarily needed a cane after her hip replacement surgery, I got her a hiking pole instead: one of those adjustable-length ones with a removable rubber cap on the foot so it can be used either on trails or on sidewalks. It's multipurpose: after she recovered from the surgery and stopped needing it as a cane for getting around in everyday circumstances, she can still use it when she goes hiking. They're available at outdoor/camping equipment stores.

DrDeth
02-14-2007, 10:30 PM
When my mom temporarily needed a cane after her hip replacement surgery, I got her a hiking pole instead: one of those adjustable-length ones with a removable rubber cap on the foot so it can be used either on trails or on sidewalks. It's multipurpose: after she recovered from the surgery and stopped needing it as a cane for getting around in everyday circumstances, she can still use it when she goes hiking. They're available at outdoor/camping equipment stores.

That's a good idea!

Fear Itself
02-14-2007, 10:40 PM
Or, you can get a real cool one, with a silver head, nice wood, and some class, and flaunt it.What, no hidden sword?

picunurse
02-14-2007, 10:59 PM
What, no hidden sword?
I rescue canes, and paint them, then I sell them at craft fairs, or donate them when they don't sell.
I have one that I didn't paint since it's beautiful without. It's a dragon. I discovered it has a sword inside. It isn't sharp, however. That one I'm keeping.

Peter Morris
02-15-2007, 12:16 AM
'bout 4 years ago I had an accident on my bike, went headfirst over the handlebars, fractured my thumb and bruised my hip. My local hospital loaned me a walking stick for free.

DrDeth
02-15-2007, 02:19 AM
What, no hidden sword?

Illegal in CA. :(

Nava
02-15-2007, 03:48 AM
Medcial supply stores and gent's stores. I've seen stores that sold both humidifiers and silver-headed canes. These aren't necessarily more expensive.

Eva Luna
02-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Man, I feel old.

Don't feel too badly - when I was 28, I shattered my left tibia and fibula, resulting in years of surgery and rehab. Imagine my thrill upon graduating from crutches to a cane - I came home from Walgreens after physical therapy one day with my shiny-new blue aluminum cane, and was immediately telemarketed by a local cemetery, who thought I might be interested in "pre-need planning." Sheesh, I wasn't quite ready to die yet!

Mama Zappa
02-15-2007, 03:59 PM
That's a good idea!
I fell last year while on vacation in Arizona (stupid, stupid me.... somehow somersaulted down a flight of stairs). Ankle/foot were fine, but I had severe bruising and sore muscles on my upper leg. We went to an REI the next day and bought a collapsible trek pole because we were going to go to the Grand Canyon and I'd need some help on that terrain. And now we have a nice trek pole for Scout trips.

As for its usefulness in dealing with a foot injury, it might or might not give enough support compared with a regular cane. Depends on how much weight you really need to take off the foot - I don't think it would have worked quite as well when I had a sprained ankle years ago (similarly graceful incident involving an escalator).

friedo
02-15-2007, 04:29 PM
I am now the proud owner of a shiny brand new Rite-Aid brand adjustable-length aluminum walking cane.

Thanks for the help. My injuries appear to be healing at an astonishing rate. I'll probably only need the cane for two or three days. w00t.

TV time
02-15-2007, 04:47 PM
I was going to recommend Salvation Army or Goodwill stores. I regularly mess up my knees, ankles or what ever on a variety of stupid activities, skiing, riding my motorcycle, bicycling, stepping in potholes while jogging and even jumping over a fire hydrent. I have a cane in each of my vehicles (except my motorcycle - for that I have one of those fold-up ones for my backpack).

I also have a set of crutches around, just in case.

Will Repair
02-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Remember to keep your wrist close to your hip on the injured side...
Isn't a crutch used on the injured side if that leg cannot bear weight and a cane used on the uninjured side when the leg can bear some the weight?

silenus
02-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Not if you've trashed your ankle. I've found that those can't bear weight very well until almost healed.

robardin
02-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Since serious and useful replies have been a-plenty, I just thought I'd drop in and mention that as soon as I read the title, the Silent E song/cartoon segment from The Electric Company rose unbidden up from the recesses of my childhood memories, and now it's stuck in my head.

Who can turn a CAN... into a CANE
Who can turn a PAN... into a PANE
It's not too hard to see
It's Silent E

With a picture of a lowercase E with arms and legs and a magic wand.

...And what do you know, in this modern age, Google leads me to YouTube which leads me to this link (http://youtube.com/watch?v=EVC9TayQIh8).

And holy moly, now that I'm All Grown Up, I recognize that musical style and voice as Tom Lehrer's! And yes, a Wikipedia check on Mr. Lehrer confirms that he did work on the Electric Company, including many of my other childhood favorites!

Ah... SDMB... Google... YouTube... Wikipedia.... Gosh darn it, 'tis truly a Golden Age we live in, that lets us waddle in nostalgia so readily!

Zeldar
02-16-2007, 10:23 AM
I rescue canes, and paint them, then I sell them at craft fairs, or donate them when they don't sell.
I have one that I didn't paint since it's beautiful without. It's a dragon. I discovered it has a sword inside. It isn't sharp, however. That one I'm keeping.

I noted the reference to "craft fairs" and thought I'd mention that some of the nicer canes and walking sticks I have seen were at a crafts exhibit at a school that specializes in folk crafts. Whether such a school is near and easily accessible to you or not, if you can locate one there might be something exotic enough to buy for when its use has been filled and you still want a nice piece of work.

My wife has a collection of canes and sticks, some of them quite nice. None was overly expensive, but they weren't really cheap either.

You might consider making your own out a sturdy piece of hardwood like oak or hickory. I made one on a hiking trip out of some mountain laurel. Not all that much to it; just some whittling.

Quercus
02-16-2007, 01:26 PM
As for [a hiking pole's] usefulness in dealing with a foot injury, it might or might not give enough support compared with a regular cane.I agree. I've been on crutches enough to know first-hand, a ski-pole-like trekking pole will only really help you balance. While this can help reduce impact on a slightly sore or weak leg (especially going downhill or on rough terrain), it's not going to really take weight off like a cane or single crutch will.

Best Topics: black norwegians terminal degree meaning godfather sonny john david carson pin strokes 10000 money band fast drying glue chocolate tie cat biting claws 46ddd breast water moccasin shoes leg tapping male poop how much does it cost to go to the doctor polarized film for glasses do girls get horny is oz a good show how to copy audible books to cd wwii marines in europe 1-800 got junk prices will amazon one click use gift card how long does coffee keep in the fridge how to make a flat white coffee at home and the creek don't rise saying chip foose vs boyd coddington best shoes for mail carriers