PDA

View Full Version : You're a cunt for making my mother's life miserable

Argent Towers
04-29-2007, 02:08 AM
I don't post in the Pit very often, because it's not often that I get passionately angry at something in life. I've vented petty criticisms against car design, North Face jackets, corporate radio, Bush, the war on drugs, etc - but it's uncommon for me to be vehemently pissed at something, particularly at another person. In life, I generally wind up playing the mediator role between other people. I try to see both sides of an issue. I try to be calm and reasonable.

But right now I'm pissed off. Extremely fucking pissed off at a mentally-disturbed, neurotic, severely fucked-up cunt who lives next door to my mother and is currently making her life a living hell and trying to have her dog killed.

Let me give some background. My mom is 48, and lives with her partner, 3 dogs, and 2 cats, in a house in a suburban development. I grew up in that house, and lived there with my parents until I was 18. Then my parents split up, my mom came out as a lesbian, and my dad moved out and got his own place. My mom kept living in that house (eventually her current partner moved in,) and wanted to move out of the neighborhood very much since it was awkward and uncomfortable living in the same neighborhood after such a radical family transformation. But my younger sister loved her room in that house, and this was sufficient enough reason for them to keep it.

My mom loves animals. She used to have 5 dogs, but gave 2 of them to a friend recently, and now only has 3. My family has had dogs my whole life, and I've grown up knowing and loving various dogs practically as members of the family. Kinship with dogs is something I've been raised with. Since my parents split up, my mom has been through some rough times and had to deal with a lot of heartache from a lot of people. During these times, her dogs are her emotional support. She is extremely dependent on them. In particular, Cole, a black lab/pitbull mix. This is her oldest dog, and he has been in our family for about 7 years, even back when my parents were still together. Cole is like her best friend. Hell, he was like MY best friend back when I lived there. He's the best dog I've ever known - loyal, intelligent, friendly, not at all aggressive.

So a few months ago, Cole dug a hole under the fence around the yard, and walked into the cunt-next-door's front yard. This woman is an extremely neurotic, bitchy, arrogant woman. Everything about her personality is viscerally unlikeable. She has a paralyzing fear of dogs. When she saw Cole, she freaked out, ran inside the house, and called my mom, telling her she never wanted to see that dog out there again. Apparently he wasn't barking, he didn't bite, he didn't even bare his teeth - he was just out there, and that was enough to freak her out.

So a month later, he gets out again, goes NEAR the woman's lawn again (apparently he wasn't even on her lawn, he was just standing right at the border of it, looking at her) and this time she calls Animal Control. This woman is a lawyer, by the way, and apparently she pushed the Animal Control people into issuing an official restriction prohibiting the dog from getting out of the fenced area. My mom was also required to build an even higher fence around the yard, costing her hundreds of dollars.

Well, two days ago Cole got out yet again - again, he didn't attack anyone, didn't bark at anyone, didn't show signs of aggression towards anyone - and this cunt SAW HIM out the window and called Animal Control again. This time, they fined my mom 100 dollars, and notified her that there will be an official hearing to determine whether the dog is vicious or not. (I don't know how they could possibly prove this - they have NO evidence. He's never attacked anyone.) Meanwhile, my grandmother (my mother's mother) is dying of Alzheimer's disease, appears to be at death's door, and my mom went to Florida to see her. When she gets back, she has to go to a court hearing, and be faced with the possibility of her dog being put down. When I saw my mom the other day, she was in tears, a total wreck. All because this stupid cunt next door is freaking out over a goddamn dog that never threatened her, never attacked her, never did jack shit besides just stand there.

I'm utterly baffled as to how someone could be this much of an evil cunt. According to my mom, who has had many dealings with this woman in the past, she is completely mentally unstable, a neurotic wreck, and suffers from an eating disorder (she lost about 50 pounds a few years ago, all at once - she looked absolutely freakish.) I really hope she gets help, because from the frantic, ranting phone conversations that my mother described to me, she sounds like she is completely off her rocker. I KNOW that if this dog is taken from my mom, she is going to be completely destroyed - utterly crushed, unconsolable for weeks - she loves that dog as much as I have ever seen someone love an animal. And it's all going to be the fault of a totally cold-hearted, soulless bitch. So go to hell, you could-hearted, soulless bitch. I honestly hope you die. The world would be better off without you.

Hilarity N. Suze
04-29-2007, 02:18 AM
Except for her paralyzing fear of dogs and exercising her perfectly legal right to contact animal control when your dog is unconfined, just what has she done that makes her evil?

Sure, she has issues. But so does your mother. How come you can't keep this dog confined?

(Note that I once had a dog-escapee myself. Her first detention cost me $15. The next one $35. The next one $75. And every time she went to jail she got kennel cough so I had to spend additional bucks at the vet. I blamed the dog, spent yet more money to improve my fence, etc., because the fine went up every time and eventually the animal control people would have euthanized the dog--but at no point did I suggest my dog was someone else's problem.)

Argent Towers
04-29-2007, 02:21 AM
She's evil because she's trying to get the dog declared vicious, even though he never attacked her, barked at her, threatened her, or anything.

pool
04-29-2007, 02:24 AM
Yeah I agree, I think your painting an unflattering picture of this woman as some kind of demon when she probably isn't. She has every legal and ethical right to do what she has done. Your mom needs to keep the dog in her yard or the house.

Argent Towers
04-29-2007, 02:29 AM
I'm just pissed off at the emotional stress she's causing my mother, who already has to deal with her own mother dying. You're right, she should be keeping the dog confined better, but trying to get him declared as a vicious animal with no proof? What's the point of that? There's no reason for her to do that. She hasn't been attacked by him. Either she's being vindictive, or she's allowing her own personal neuroses to get way out of control. She has a right to call Animal Control, but I don't see why she needs to push for him to be declared vicious. And according to my mom, who personally knows the Animal Control officer who spoke to the neighbor, she was indeed actively trying to get him declared vicious. I fail to see how that is necessary.

Zabali_Clawbane
04-29-2007, 02:32 AM
All the same, having the dog declared "vicious" equates with a human death sentence, doesn't it? Basically it's akin to putting a peeping Tom to death, would be one way to put it. It's way over the top, in other words.

Heffalump and Roo
04-29-2007, 02:44 AM
I fail to see how that is necessary.

It's necessary because your mom didn't take the action seriously the first two times. . .or seriously enough to stop it. The first time may be deemed an accident. The third time constitutes a problem.

If your mom is unable or unwilling to stop the behavior of her dog, then other steps are required to have others do it for her.

While I am sorry for what your mom is going through, that's not her neighbor's fault. And her neighbor has every right to protect herself from this recurring problem.

Argent Towers
04-29-2007, 02:45 AM
It's necessary because your mom didn't take the action seriously the first two times. . .or seriously enough to stop it. The first time may be deemed an accident. The third time constitutes a problem.

She took it seriously enough to spend 500 dollars on a new fence - which is six feet tall - around the yard. The dog dug a hole underneath it. My mom did everything she could.

It's the declaring of the dog vicious that causes this disconnect for me. Like I said before - she did have every right to call Animal Control, and if that was all she did, I wouldn't really have a problem with it. But trying to get the dog put down? That's not excessive?

Hilarity N. Suze
04-29-2007, 02:54 AM
If you have a paralyzing fear of dogs, and one appears in your yard, that is emotional stress, too.

If the dog has no record of ever having bit anyone, I don't think you have to worry about having the dog declared vicious. But uncontrollable? Maybe. If he keeps tunneling into the neighbor's yard--the neighbor who has a paralyzing fear of dogs--then who's to say her emotional stress is less than your mother's? I mean, sure, it's your mom. So you aren't going to think so.

Argent Towers
04-29-2007, 02:58 AM
Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm not a huge fan of arguing, so I'll concede that most of the posters here are essentially right. I still think trying to have the dog put down is way over the top. Hilarity, you're right, it's my mom, of course I'm going to take her side. I just needed to write all this to get it off my chest, since it's been making me really upset.

Zabali_Clawbane
04-29-2007, 02:59 AM
Can a pen with a pavement floor be made, in such a way that the dog will have shade and shelter? This way, if your mother cannot be out with the dog to make sure it doesn't pull another Houdini, she will know he won't get loose. It might be worth investigating and proposing as a solution in order to earn a pardon?

Argent Towers
04-29-2007, 03:00 AM
I told my mom she should just walk the dog when he needs to go out, and keep him inside the house otherwise.

Heffalump and Roo
04-29-2007, 03:03 AM
She took it seriously enough to spend 500 dollars on a new fence - which is six feet tall - around the yard. The dog dug a hole underneath it. My mom did everything she could.

Well, not really. There's electric fences, there's putting rocks or thorny bushes anywhere where the dog could dig into soft dirt to get under the fence, there's putting sprays around the perimeter of the yard to let the dog know its boundaries, there's tying up the dog in the yard to train it. . . and lots of others. Those were just off the top of my head.

It's the declaring of the dog vicious that causes this disconnect for me. Like I said before - she did have every right to call Animal Control, and if that was all she did, I wouldn't really have a problem with it. But trying to get the dog put down? That's not excessive?

Well, as you noted, you feel that your mom did everything she could to restrain the dog and it didn't work. If that's true, the only other option is having the dog declared vicious in order for it to be put down.

If your mom did everything she could and the dog will still get out, are you saying that her neighbor should have to live with the dog continually getting out. . .for the rest of the dog's life? How is that fair?

Since I don't believe your mom did everything she could, I believe it's still possible to come to an amicable solution, but you're not painting the picture that way.

On preview: It sounds like you've come up with a viable solution for your mom. I hope that works.

Argent Towers
04-29-2007, 03:06 AM
Really, I think my mom should get a house in the country with a lot of land like she has always wanted to. The only think holding her back is my sister who wants to stay in that house, but if it was me, I'd try to sell her harder on it.

Bites When Provoked
04-29-2007, 03:22 AM
Of course, if your mother did get a house in the country and then let the dog roam free, someone with stock is going to shoot it. So that's not a winning tactic either.

Argent Towers
04-29-2007, 03:25 AM
Of course, if your mother did get a house in the country and then let the dog roam free, someone with stock is going to shoot it. So that's not a winning tactic either.

This dog never wanders more than a few houses down from our neighborhood, so it's unlikely he'd go far enough for that to happen. She'd probably be better off getting property that wasn't too close to any livestock, though, just to be safe.

Nice username/thread combo.

ParentalAdvisory
04-29-2007, 03:48 AM
Well, as you noted, you feel that your mom did everything she could to restrain the dog and it didn't work. If that's true, the only other option is having the dog declared vicious in order for it to be put down.

This is won't be popular, but FUCK THAT.

Argent Towers
04-29-2007, 03:49 AM
I wonder who among the posters in this thread is a dog owner, and who isn't?

Quartz
04-29-2007, 05:37 AM
A hearing is probably the best outcome. Then everyone will see that this woman is crazy. The dog hasn't attacked her in any way. The woman has problems with dogs, but that's her problem.

Aspidistra
04-29-2007, 06:14 AM
I have no problem believing this neighbor may be a complete bitch.

Unfortunately, even a complete bitch can be in the right sometimes - especially if she has a real phobia about dogs - that's not really something she could do anything about, and she may well be genuinely freaked out by the prospect of a dog appearing randomly in her yard.

I hope your mum can find a good containment solution for her escaper - or at the very least, a good new home with some friend she visits regularly. It sounds like a sucky situation all round.

ETA: not a dog owner, FWIW...

Contrapuntal
04-29-2007, 06:17 AM
She took it seriously enough to spend 500 dollars on a new fence - which is six feet tall - around the yard. The dog dug a hole underneath it. My mom did everything she could.No matter how tall the fence is, a dog can still dig out. Unless you bury chicken wire in the ground under the fence. That is what I did when I moved into my house.

I'm sorry. Your mom did not do everything she could do. After the dog got loose the first time it was incumbent upon her to see that it never happened again. Whose fault is it? Surely not the dog's.

I wonder who among the posters in this thread is a dog owner, and who isn't?I own two dogs (Jack Russells) am fostering two more (Rottweilers) and a fifth (Jack Russell) stays here quite often. All diggers. All escape artists. One of the Rotties (90 lbs.) can jump a four foot fence and wriggle through a 12" X 7" dog door!

My dogs have never escaped from the yard. Early on, before I realized how quick they were, the JRTs would sneak out the front door. Not now. They have no clue about traffic. Having a dog get loose is a low risk/high consequence situation. I'm not willing to risk it.

OtakuLoki
04-29-2007, 07:47 AM
As someone who'd been involved with a neighbor dispute over a roaming, and supposedly viscious dog, I'd like to say that the courts don't seem to care how a dog gets out, if there's a complaint about it.

My housemate's Great Dane was left out on a cable run with a locking clip to the cable. I was out for about 2 hours and when I got back home Animal Control was there, because, according to the neighbor the dog had gotten out of the kennel again. (Yes, the dog did have some Houdini in it.) Which would have been fine, except that the dog hadn't been in the kennel area, rather it had been on that cable run. And somehow it had gotten loose by having undone it's collar, since of course a dog couldn't remove the locking cable clip.

Even the Animal Control officer thought it looked fishy.

But the judge still fined my housemate $400 for the dog getting loose again. Even though there was credible reason to believe that a neighbor had let the dog loose.

ivylass
04-29-2007, 08:18 AM
The only think holding her back is my sister who wants to stay in that house, but if it was me, I'd try to sell her harder on it.

Unless your sister is paying the mortgage on the house, she doesn't get a vote. If your mom wants to move she should move.

FWIW, we own a dog. He gets out on occasion. We completely understand it is our responsibility if he hurts someone. Cole may be the sweetest dog in the world, but just because he hasn't bitten someone in the past doesn't mean he won't in the future.

I'm sorry your mom is having problems keeping her dog in the backyard, but it is her responsibility to keep the dog safe. The next door neighbor may be over the top, but quite frankly, Cole started it.

DudleyGarrett
04-29-2007, 08:38 AM
So, not to nit-pick, but I read that the dog got out three times, unsupervised and without a leash. This is not reasonable.

I would have done exactly as your mother's neighbor, especially if there are kids in the neighborhood. Dogs ARE NOT PEOPLE and can be unpredictable. That is why there are leash laws. Your mother is going to lose her dog because she's the typical inconsiderate dog owner, and frankly, I don't feel an ounce of sympathy.

Also, I wonder if Cole pinched a nice healthy loaf while he was wandering about town. Who do you think picked it up?

Bites When Provoked
04-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Nice username/thread combo.*grin* I hadn't actually noticed how well it worked until now. :D

Much as I can see things from your side (and I can) I can't help but feel sorry for the woman with the dog phobia. As a pet owner, it's your mother's responsibility to ensure the dog stays in the yard.

For the benefit of your informal poll: not a dog owner currently, but I did grow up with a dog as a pet. These days I'm more a 'cat person'. Since I take pet ownership seriously*, I have invested more than $3k to ensure the cats cannot get out of my yard.

* By which I mean that I value the life and safety of my pets highly, and the rights of my neighbours get addressed in that somewhat incidentally. ;)

Ferret Herder
04-29-2007, 09:13 AM
I had dogs in my family when I was a kid, and one we owned was a wire-haired fox terrier. Terriers are (as the French meaning of the name would suggest) well-known for digging holes. We kept her on a very long lead as our fence was small and mostly designed to keep very young kids in/very small neighbor dogs out. If we'd had to securely fence in the large backyard instead, you bet we would've buried chicken wire or something to that effect to prevent digging under it. The neighbor may be a hysterical nut, but your mother needed to react to the first threat as such and protect the dog she loves with every means possible.

I doubt they'll find the dog vicious unless the neighbor makes stuff up/the area has a "no pit bulls" ordinance, but at the very least the judge will come down very hard on your mother for her negligence in accounting for the tenacity of her dog. In the 10 or so years we had the terrier, I can only think of two or three instances where she escaped, and those were from her slipping out the door or not behaving on a time that my parents let her out to urinate off-lead, IIRC, and not from getting off the lead while out in the yard.

jacquilynne
04-29-2007, 09:36 AM
I grew up with dogs in a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere, where everyone simply let their dogs run free. Both dogs of my childhood died after being hit by cars, one of them while I was overseas, and the other in my arms while I held him and he bled to death. It's 20 years later, and I'm still crying as I type this.

Your mother needs to find a way to keep her dogs inside. Not because of animal control. Not out of consideration for a neighbour with a phobia. Because keeping your pets under control is the only way to keep them safe. You'd think someone who loves and relies on her animals for emotional support would care enough about them to do right by them.

cosmosdan
04-29-2007, 10:19 AM

I'm sorry for your Mom's problems. It sounds like she needs and deserves a little peace of mind without issues to deal with. Being a dog owner with plenty of neighbors brings certain responsibilities. Thats why I no longer have one. Even though it seems the lady is over reacting in the extreme it is your Mom's responsibility to make sure the dog doesn't get out. Spending a lot of money to make a fence higher doesn't strike me as good planning. It's really not doing everything she can. I would suggest a cable run.

Although it didn't work out for OtakuLoki's house mate I doubt your crazy neighbor would approach the dog to let it go.

I hope it all works out for your Mom. She needs to take care of herself and her own emotional needs. If that means moving then she should move ASAP. Is your sister still in school?

tomndebb
04-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Options:
- Move. (How old is your sister and when will she be out of high school or college? If she is out, now, it is time for her to move, anyway, barring other information such as a disability.)
- Chicken wire to a depth of 24" around the base of the fence.
- Run line in the back yard so that the dog cannot even reach the fence while still having the run of most of the yard.
- You or sibling or friend with more land take the dog.

(What breed is the dog?)

Shagnasty
04-29-2007, 10:53 AM
We have a cunt down the street that has harassed me on and off for the 5 years that we have had our house. Our dog, a beautiful Samoyed named Bear came with the house because we really wanted him. I built him the Mother of all doghouses right away because he was mildly mistreated by the previous owner (who was very ill and died this week).

Anyway, cunt started calling me at odd hours (like 11:30 pm and 7:00 am) to inform me that dogs can't be outside when it is 20F or something similar. She pretended to be anonymous which was stupid because I had her caller ID and this is a lightly populated/semi-rural area. Samoyeds are SIBERIAN sled dogs and they hate the heat but do just great at temperatures much lower than it gets even here in Massachusetts.

Cunt decided to call animal control in January when it was unseasonably warm. The animal control officer drove by and saw that there was nothing wrong at all and kept going. Cunt decided that wasn't a good answer and demanded an official investigation. The animal control officer (a female as well) had to come over and investigate Bear's life-style. She apologized profusely the entire time and admitted that everything about it was completely unjustified. The whole thing was senseless and ridiculous. I asked the animal control oficer to pass on orders for Cunt to cease and desict because I couldn't deal with it any more after 5 years.

I am far from a misogynist but I think that lots of of older females should be put down because of their overly-aggressive and peace-altering tendencies. Anybody that has worked in any public-faciing role has to deal with it and it ruins much of the world.

EddyTeddyFreddy
04-29-2007, 10:59 AM
Friends of mine have a German shorthair pointer who developed the habit of digging his way out of their fenced yard. They ran electrified wire around the inside perimeter a few inches out from the fence, a few inches off the ground, enough so the grass wouldn't touch it. Problem solved, and a lot faster, easier and cheaper than having to bury chicken wire two feet deep all along the fence.

Cat Whisperer
04-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Argent Towers, you're being really reasonable about our responses here, and I appreciate that and don't want to seem like I'm attacking you after you've already conceded the points, but I think you (and possibly your mom) are looking at this a little wrong-headedly. No one is doing anything to your mom; she's making decisions, and she's getting consequences. If she decides to stay in this house for your sister, that's a decision with consequences. If she can't find a way to control her dog, there's consequences. I haven't seen anything you've written here so far that makes your mother an innocent victim. The only possible victim here is a dog who is being allowed to be a bad dog (for living near other people).

I'm not a dog person, but I do understand being responsible for your pets. My cats aren't allowed to roam free (not a debating point - the law in Calgary is very clear about cats and dogs not roaming free); when they go outside, they go out on a leash, and I go out with them, because cats can't be left on leashes alone (they are incredibly inventive at finding ways to strangle themselves). Responsible pet owners do what you have to do to keep your pets safe, within your local laws, and not bothering your neighbours. I don't have any problems with dogs, but if my neighbour's dog kept showing up in MY yard, I'd have a problem with that, too.

Liberal
04-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Now that things have simmered down a bit, the only thing I'd like to know is who the fence builder is. Five hundred bucks for a six foot fence of any appreciable length is a fantastic price. We just put a little critter-fence around a very small garden, and it cost us more than twice that.

Caridwen
04-29-2007, 11:34 AM
I'm just pissed off at the emotional stress she's causing my mother, who already has to deal with her own mother dying. You're right, she should be keeping the dog confined better, but trying to get him declared as a vicious animal with no proof? What's the point of that? There's no reason for her to do that. She hasn't been attacked by him. Either she's being vindictive, or she's allowing her own personal neuroses to get way out of control. She has a right to call Animal Control, but I don't see why she needs to push for him to be declared vicious. And according to my mom, who personally knows the Animal Control officer who spoke to the neighbor, she was indeed actively trying to get him declared vicious. I fail to see how that is necessary.

Your mother's neighbor is a neurotic bitch. Fortunately I've never had neighbor's from hell with a stick up their ass like this woman is but my sister has. My sister lived across the street from the yokel from hell that did the same thing as your mothers neighbor and Shagnasty's neighbor did. Some people enjoy being rotten and miserable. My sister's neighbor spent 90% of his time on the phone calling the police about everything from their dog that was deaf and blind in one eye wandering out onto my sisters own yard to a camper that was parked in front of their house for 1/2 an hour.

I truly sympathise. All she can do is try to keep the dog in the yard and when your Mom goes to sell her house sell it to the worst people she can possibly find even if she has to take a cut in the asking price. Let her find out what bad neighbors really are.

Heffalump and Roo
04-29-2007, 01:01 PM

This is won't be popular, but FUCK THAT.

Ummm. . . :confused:

What won't be popular with whom? And to what or toward whom is the expletive intended?

I'll just guess for the moment. Do you think that I said that the dog should be put down because there are no other options? If so, then read the next line of that post that you pulled this from. I'm not saying the dog should be put down. I was just noting that from the OP's belief (which I thought was untrue), the logical extension would be that his/her mother couldn't stop what was happening. IF that was true (which it's clear it isn't), then that would very likely lead to the dog being put down because there's no other way to remedy the situation. Since there are many ways to remedy the situation, one of which the OP later mentions, then putting the dog down shouldn't have to be the final outcome.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the situation. Seems like a red herring to me.

But I'll answer anyway. I love dogs but don't own one because of the huge expense and responsibility required. I'm not up to the challenge at this point. But I've always wanted a dog. When I was a kid, I wished for one at every birthday. But I see my neighbors and the expense and responsibility they shoulder such as keeping their dogs in the house and finding them to pick them up every time they open the door, building extensions on the house for them that costs thousands of dollars, spending enormous amounts of money on food, taking them for walks, staying up with them when they cry all night and the like, and I know I'm not ready for that just yet.

And as you can see by this thread, many dog owners have responded to you. And not only do they have the concern of the dog getting out to hurt someone, they have the added concern that the dog will get hurt by allowing it to get loose, so I don't see the difference in the answers whether the posters have dogs or not.

Rick
04-29-2007, 01:20 PM
This (http://canismajor.com/dog/fences1.html) could well be your answer.
here is one top rated one for $300. (http://petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_R_8199_PC_productlist_Nav_189_N_22+129+30+5564_sku_436070_familyID_14256.aspx), and here is a more basic model (http://petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_Nav_189_sku_504092_R_4090_enemerch_1.aspx?cm_re=189-_-TopSellers1-_-504092)

Contrapuntal
04-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Options: - Chicken wire to a depth of 24" around the base of the fence.
I assume that you are talking about the chicken wire being in the same plane as the fence, and thus two feet deep. Not necessary, IMO. Bury the chicken wire maybe six inches down, but in the same plane as the ground, and secure with landscape staples.

ETF has a great suggestion. The product is fairly cheap, (maybe $1 a foot?) and can be found at most farm supply outlets. One version is called Hotwire.

TLDRIDKJKLOLFTW
04-29-2007, 02:30 PM
This sounds like the first half of one of those stories where the second half involves the dog that was "loyal, intelligent, friendly, not at all aggressive" getting loose and tearing a child's throat out. It's a black lab/pit bull mix; I'd take one look at that thing and put a bullet between its eyes if it came in my yard.

Martin Hyde
04-29-2007, 05:24 PM
This sounds like the first half of one of those stories where the second half involves the dog that was "loyal, intelligent, friendly, not at all aggressive" getting loose and tearing a child's throat out. It's a black lab/pit bull mix; I'd take one look at that thing and put a bullet between its eyes if it came in my yard.

I'd make a reasonable wager that upon seeing the dog you'd have no idea it was part pit-bull.

Some people, like you, for example, are so stupid when it comes to the "pit bull" issue, it defies belief. You're probably one of the same people who identifies any mutt (even ones with no pit bulls anywhere close in their ancestry) who remotely resembles a pit bull as one. You probably lump in boxers and other unrelated and similar looking dogs into the same category, both out of stupidity and ignorance.

Based on the totality of your posting history I also say you wouldn't have anything close to enough nerve to actually shoot a dog, nor do I think you possess anywhere near the accuracy required to hit one between the eyes from the considerable range your cowardly ass would be at.

Also, in the vast majority of U.S. municipalities you can't go shooting a gun off like that without facing some legal consequences.

Also, based on your claims here (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=418744) I sincerely hope you do not own a firearm.

Argent Towers
04-29-2007, 05:25 PM

Well, frankly you're wrong in assuming that a dog is going to be vicious just because it has 1/4 Pit in it as Cole does.

Argent Towers
04-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Now that things have simmered down a bit, the only thing I'd like to know is who the fence builder is.

A Swedish friend of hers named Jens who looks like a shorter version of Dolph Lundgren. I have no idea where she found him. He did a lot of other repair work around the house, too.

lisacurl
04-30-2007, 12:50 PM
This sounds like the first half of one of those stories where the second half involves the dog that was "loyal, intelligent, friendly, not at all aggressive" getting loose and tearing a child's throat out. It's a black lab/pit bull mix; I'd take one look at that thing and put a bullet between its eyes if it came in my yard.Can you possibly be any more ignorant?

Kalhoun
04-30-2007, 12:58 PM
She's evil because she's trying to get the dog declared vicious, even though he never attacked her, barked at her, threatened her, or anything.
It doesn't look like the neighbor is trying to have the dog deemed vicious. It sounds like that's part of the process in your locale.

What does your mom's partner do? Can't he/she attend the hearing and leave your mother to more pressing matters?

Bridget Burke
04-30-2007, 02:43 PM
I told my mom she should just walk the dog when he needs to go out, and keep him inside the house otherwise.

Sounds like a good temporary plan. But I think you mother should consider moving to the country. The neighbor sounds like the type who would stir up trouble--dog nor not.

Your sister can redecorate her new room.

No, I'm not a dog owner.

Miller
04-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Some people, like you, for example, are so stupid when it comes to the "pit bull" issue, it defies belief.

Now, that's not really fair. VC03 is stupid when it comes to a lot of issues, not just pit bulls.

wring
04-30-2007, 04:47 PM
. The neighbor sounds like the type who would stir up trouble--dog nor not.
I disagree. First sign of trouble, they spoke directly to the neighbor. When the second occurance w/in a short time, they took it to the next level. From her point of view it'd be like this: "you did something that's illegal and interferes w/my use of my own property, I pointed it out to you. You obviously failed to fix the problem since it happened again w/in a short time."

Jackmannii
04-30-2007, 05:14 PM
I have two dogs. They've never made it off our property. They spend time in the back yard, which is largely enclosed by a relatively inexpensive 7 foot deer fence, The fence (plastic mesh, nearly invisible from more than a few feet away) has a bottom section bent parallel to the ground and secured by deep metal staples. This might not discourage a determined escape artist, so the buried chicken wire would be more secure.

I sympathize with Argent Towers' mother (and the neighbor sounds like a real piece of work), but it's the dog owner's job to keep the beast in its own yard.

Kalhoun
04-30-2007, 06:05 PM
A friend of mine had an incident over the weekend. Her dog bolted out of the house, ran into the street and was run over.

The owner of the car left a note on their door requesting they put a claim in on their homeowner's insurance because the man's car was damaged.

As harsh as that was with a grieving family hurting over the loss of their dog, they were in the wrong and should pay to have the man's car fixed. That's the way it goes when you're responsible for a pet.

lisacurl
04-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Man, even though they're in the right, I don't know that I could do that.

Kalhoun
04-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Man, even though they're in the right, I don't know that I could do that.
I know. Way harsh. On the other hand, it's tough to get out of the body shop for less than about $300. I can see where he didn't want to put in a claim on his own insurance.

MelCthefirst
04-30-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm a dog owner. I think the neighbour is a bitch - I have very little empathy with people who are that scared of dogs they want them all dead - I have a little bit of empathy for people who are scared of dogs as long as they don't have to go near them.
However, keeping the dog on the property as others have said is your mum's responsibility. I'm constantly made aware of dog owners whom I consider to be iresponsible by not walking their dogs on a daily basis for at least 40 minutes. Even if you have a big yard, dogs need to be exercised to be happy enough not to want to roam. I am guessing (and ofcourse could be wrong) that your mother's dog does not get enough exercise - if he did, he wouldn't be trying to amuse himself by escaping. Even moving to a larger property in the country, the dog will still need to be exercised by a human.

Kimstu
04-30-2007, 07:55 PM
I am far from a misogynist but I think that lots of of older females should be put down because of their overly-aggressive and peace-altering tendencies. Anybody that has worked in any public-faciing role has to deal with it and it ruins much of the world.

:dubious: Of course, when older males ruin much of the world with their overly-aggressive and peace-altering tendencies, we don't put them down, we re-elect them President, right?

Seriously, dude, I agree that domineering neighbors are a hell of a nuisance, but to suggest that the problem is somehow specific to "older females"---while simultaneously insisting that you're not a misogynist---just seems weird.

Shagnasty
04-30-2007, 08:49 PM
:dubious: Of course, when older males ruin much of the world with their overly-aggressive and peace-altering tendencies, we don't put them down, we re-elect them President, right?

Seriously, dude, I agree that domineering neighbors are a hell of a nuisance, but to suggest that the problem is somehow specific to "older females"---while simultaneously insisting that you're not a misogynist---just seems weird.

Its true. I am not a misogynist, just ask my successful wife, mother, and two young daughters who my purpose in life seems to be serving them lovingly. I am not sure if you have ever worked in a service industry. The problem becomes fairly obvious on day one. Males know it and females know it and the problem is openly discussed in the break-room. I have even seen the phenomena discussed among leftists in the same jargon you used (i.e. some older females become overly aggressive and confrontational because they have been generally put down by society and that is their only outlet for revenge).

Service industry 101 quiz:

A party of young male lawyers walks into the restaurant at the same time as a social group consisting of housewives. You have seniority over another server. You know nothing else about the situation. Which party do you choose for yourself and why?

That one should be obvious from several perspectives for anyone that has done a similar job at all. It isn't all females of course. If you deal with a hundred or more people a day, that deviant 1% can really ruin your life. It has happened to me over and over again as with problems similar in style to the one described in the OP as it has lots of other people according to their own reports. Occasionally you will find an older man with the same level of viotrol, cun(t)ning and mastery of the art but the whole problems seems to be seriously sex skewed among the worst offenders.

Kimstu
04-30-2007, 09:01 PM
I have even seen the phenomena discussed among leftists in the same jargon you used

Actually, that stuff about "overly-aggressive and peace-altering tendencies" was your jargon; I was just quoting you. My own description of the problem was expressed as "domineering neighbors are a hell of a nuisance".

Gulo gulo
05-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Not a dog-owner but dog-friendly. Even so, I have no love for people who let their dogs roam into my yard.

I am among those don't understand how people are so crippingly dog-phobic but they exist. My stepmother is one. Many times I've had to run interference while she flees from anything canine, including older puppies. She tells me that if I get a dog, I won't be able to bring it over. (They have two labs but she's mostly ok with them.)

The options I can suggest are:

1) Build a contained kennel. Make sure the dog has shade etc. If he's a barker, this isn't a good option.

2) Run a hotwire along the bottom of the fence. It looks easy enough to do. My neighbour is the only person on our rural road that does this and his dogs are always contained.

3) Keep the dog inside and let him out regularly but supervised.

4) Move. :)

5) Rehome dog. I hope that this won't be necessary but it may be best if there's no other option.

I don't recommend invisible fences. If the dog gets through it, it will prevent him from returning to the yard.

Anti-tethering laws are popping up everywhere so you may want to research that before suggesting it to your mother.

And also check out if there are any pitbull bylaws in your area. If the neighbour discovers that the escape artist has a drop of pitty blood in him, she may try to use that to her advantage. There are many people who drop a load in their pants when they hear the 'p' word and let it blind them to the individual dog.

Good luck. I hope that everything works out.

Cat Whisperer
05-01-2007, 01:07 PM
I know. Way harsh. On the other hand, it's tough to get out of the body shop for less than about $300. I can see where he didn't want to put in a claim on his own insurance.
More like $1000 these days. I too would be sorry that the family lost a beloved pet, but I have no interest in paying $1000 out of my pocket because their dog bolted (or even my $500 deductible on my insurance, and then take the hit on my insurance rates because I've made a claim).

alice_in_wonderland
05-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Can you possibly be any more ignorant?

I think the bulk of VCO3's other posts reveal that yes, he CAN be any more ignorant.

Best Topics: asymmetric headphones keychain slide viewer buying quinine authentic laundered khakis child gladiators brandy vsop incontinentia buttocks meaning ups beeping pokeberry poisoning skin colored markers navy hat history hitler's nickname new tires smell tall ape hangers bees under siding electro prostate stimulation tequilla worm puking stories director cartoon black statues genghis khan pronunciation squat switch kendall logo lentils color instant laxative west by god gomi pioneer woman fuck soccer flip wilson children karen greenlee pictures car dead what is a gm measurement buying codeine in canada bacon best by date is it safe to give someone your routing number numbers on glasses lenses ruger lcp hard to rack 2001 a space odyssey boring why does my cat bite and knead the blanket how do they get mink oil jackson browne load out shut your pie hole origin best buy car stereo installation review bassett hound puppy names how many bullets were fired in ww2 amplified vs non amplified antenna percy helton winnie the pooh did timmy ever fall in the well preferred pet dog food how to say general tso how to measure pelvis 1997 toyota rav4 mpg pumpkin seeds eating the shell in the same vane or vein vision blurry after waking up storing gas cans outside best books of the bible social committee names ideas what does ascending do in cookie clicker are beans a vegetable private paul g. bennett can a betta fish live with a goldfish do you tip aaa tow truck drivers games magazine back issues