PDA

View Full Version : Mini Cooper with a Union Jack

deanc2000
05-19-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm looking at Mini Coopers right now as a next car, kind of bored of my red Civic right now.

I'm looking at a model colored red with a British Union Jack on the roof. What do you all think of this? Do you think I'll get some strange looks?

From my perspective, I actually don't mind it because alot of my favorite writers, musicians, and bands come from England.

Any comments?

Moirai
05-19-2007, 09:47 PM
I would prefer BRG on the body, but I like the flag on top.

It's silly but fun.

Darryl Lict
05-19-2007, 10:03 PM
I think it'd be pretty cool, as I don't think I've actually seen one on the road. You do need to get a velvet tuxedo and a frilly shirt, though. I actually have a velvet suit with bell bottoms that I picked up in San Francisco.

Ms Boods
05-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Mine is British Racing Green, and I've got the Union Jack on the roof.

Fear Itself
05-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Y'know, you can get the American flag on the roof too. While I have nothing against the Brits, it seems odd to prominently display their flag just because you like their artists.

TheLoadedDog
05-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Y'know, you can get the American flag on the roof too. While I have nothing against the Brits, it seems odd to prominently display their flag just because you like their artists.
Yeah, but you wouldn't get the US flag on the roof. You could also paint your Mini orange, weld the doors shut, and put "01" numbering on the sides, but you wouldn't do that either (on second thoughts, that could be quite cool). The Mini with the Union flag on the roof is a classic.

Fear Itself
05-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Yeah, but you wouldn't get the US flag on the roof. OK, I'll bite. Why not? The Mini with the Union flag on the roof is a classic.You misspelled "cliché ".

TheLoadedDog
05-19-2007, 11:12 PM
OK, I'll bite. Why not?
If you want to do it, there's nobody stopping you. Go to town!

You misspelled "cliché ".
Then how come I've never actually seen one outside of TV? It's not the sort of thing you do to be taken seriously. It's just a bit of fun. The US flag wouldn't work quite the same way.

jjimm
05-19-2007, 11:14 PM
Y'know, you can get the American flag on the roof too. While I have nothing against the Brits, it seems odd to prominently display their flag just because you like their artists.It is a British car (historically, anyway, and there's a factory a mile from me where they're churning them out).

It would surely be as incongruous to put a Union Jack on a Harley.

Ms Boods
05-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Then how come I've never actually seen one outside of TV?

Come to my house; it's sat about 20 feet from where I'm typing :)

Darryl Lict
05-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Christ, everyone knows that the only car to get with an American Flag is a '65 'vette with Heather Graham sitting next to you.

Joey P
05-20-2007, 12:44 AM
Yeah, but you wouldn't get the US flag on the roof. You could also paint your Mini orange, weld the doors shut, and put "01" numbering on the sides, but you wouldn't do that either (on second thoughts, that could be quite cool). The Mini with the Union flag on the roof is a classic.
I just saw one of those today, a General Lee that is, not a Mini G.L.

Dag Otto
05-20-2007, 03:43 AM

A few years ago there was an orange Datsun 240Z around town with the 01 on the side. Yep, it was the General Zee.

I met the guy who owned it at a Halloween party. You can guess the costume he and his friends had.

05-20-2007, 03:56 AM
I've seen a few of these driving around L.A. and at first I thought it was just a custom paintjob by a very patriotic Brit. It was amusing, I guess. Are you saying they're available as a standard option?

brendon_small
05-20-2007, 04:17 AM
I think the flag looks nice on the Mini, but why not go all out and find an old Morris and restore it? eh, nevermind.

I think the Mini Cooper does look good in British Racing Green, I would want mine that color. Perhaps with two antique white stripes over the hood and top. Maybe it would look dumb, but I would enjoy it.

Brendon Small

Happy Scrappy Hero Pup
05-20-2007, 04:42 AM
Sorry, but when a "customization" is an "available option," it's no longer cool.

Your car's mods are cool when you have to explain what you want to a tech, not point to it in a catalog and say, "gimme that," or, worse yet, order by number.

Tuckerfan
05-20-2007, 04:57 AM
A few years ago there was an orange Datsun 240Z around town with the 01 on the side. Yep, it was the General Zee.

I met the guy who owned it at a Halloween party. You can guess the costume he and his friends had.
I saw a late model Chevy Cavalier done up that way. Why? I have no idea, unless it was to prove that TING (There Is No God)!

Oh yeah, if I was going to buy a Mini Cooper, along with the high performance package, I'd get the Union Jack on the roof. There's just a certain way cars should look, ya know? We all have our expectations of what cars should look like, and while it is possible to deviate from that and have a good looking vehicle, there's some thing's that are just flat out freakin' wrong. (A pussy pink 'Vette or Trans Am is an abomination, for example.)

GuanoLad
05-20-2007, 06:11 AM
Doesn't it originate from the movie "The Italian Job"?

GorillaMan
05-20-2007, 06:41 AM
I don't think so, here's the best screenshot I could find (without the red car): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Plans-40325.jpg

Johnny L.A.
05-20-2007, 10:24 AM
No, the Minis in The Italian Job (one of my favourite films, BTW) did not have the flag on their roofs.

Peronally, I'd love to see a MINI with the German flag on the roof. It would be fitting.

And if I were to have a MINI I'd paint it like my MGB: Old English White with a red interior with white piping, and a black roof. (If I had a real Mini I wouldn't really care, but I'm thinking light blue.)

Hanna
05-20-2007, 12:43 PM
There's a few companies that will make whatever you want to go on the MINI's roof. Cooper Flags is one. I just saw pictures of a MINI that had a toast and beans graphic put on the roof.

Shirley Ujest
05-20-2007, 06:06 PM
I think it'd be pretty cool, as I don't think I've actually seen one on the road. You do need to get a velvet tuxedo and a frilly shirt, though. I actually have a velvet suit with bell bottoms that I picked up in San Francisco.

Awesome!

Spectre of Pithecanthropus
05-22-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm looking at Mini Coopers right now as a next car, kind of bored of my red Civic right now.

I'm looking at a model colored red with a British Union Jack on the roof. What do you all think of this? Do you think I'll get some strange looks?

From my perspective, I actually don't mind it because alot of my favorite writers, musicians, and bands come from England.

Any comments?

I can only say that I could never own such a thing; every time I looked at it I'd hear that Austin Powers theme music going through my head, you know the one with the piccolo line, "dit-dee-dee-dee-dee. dit-dee-dee-dee-dee". And from there to channeling him would be but a step. It'd just be taking too much of a chance.

05-22-2007, 05:52 PM
I should make it clear that seeing the Union Jack doesn't normally elicit this reaction from me, just, you know, seeing it painted on a car. I'd react similarly to a U.S. flag painted that way on a car, though of course the details would be different.

Mbossa
05-22-2007, 07:31 PM
I should make it clear that seeing the Union Jack doesn't normally elicit this reaction from me, just, you know, seeing it painted on a car. I'd react similarly to a U.S. flag painted that way on a car, though of course the details would be different.
If you own a car with a U.S. flag on it, will you start channelling Heather Graham? If so, and you ever end up with such a car, could you please inform me immediately? Thank you.

pretend my name is witty
05-23-2007, 06:33 AM
Union Jack on the roof...From my perspective, I actually don't mind it because alot of my favorite writers, musicians, and bands come from England.

[obligatory sarcastic brit joke about England/Britain confusion]So why dont you get the English flag, then?[/osbjaebc]

Sorry, nothing to add, really, I'm sure you know the difference. Union Flag on a Cooper, the body the same shade of blue as the flag background would be sweet.

English flag on anything these days except for a sports top has chav-esque connetations for me and quite a few others, unfortunately.

scareyfaerie
05-23-2007, 06:36 AM
What about having the *English* flag on top of the car, with a Burberry interior, tinted windows and faux flames painted down the side? Yes, we have one of those trundling around our area....how we laughed.

pretend my name is witty
05-23-2007, 06:40 AM
Displays of appalling taste like that are not only entertaining, but handy because you know it's just the same as saying "let's never hang out together...".

Mangetout
05-23-2007, 06:46 AM
I've seen a few of these driving around L.A. and at first I thought it was just a custom paintjob by a very patriotic Brit. It was amusing, I guess. Are you saying they're available as a standard option?
Yes, and actually, I'd say this highlights a difference in national psyche between Britons and Americans; slapping the union flag on a car like this - or indeed on bits of tat such as mugs, hats, pencils, keyrings, etc. is (IMO) a decorative decision, more than a patriotic one.

pretend my name is witty
05-23-2007, 06:53 AM
Displays of appalling taste like that are not only entertaining, but handy because you know it's just the same as saying "let's never hang out together...".

Referring to ScareyFaerie's example, not the OP, in case it's not clear.

05-23-2007, 08:38 AM
If you own a car with a U.S. flag on it, will you start channelling Heather Graham? If so, and you ever end up with such a car, could you please inform me immediately? Thank you.

I don't even know who Heather Graham is.

Cub Mistress
05-23-2007, 08:51 AM

Any comments?

That's exactly the description of my brother-in-law's Mini Cooper. I haven't seen anyone giving him strange looks for it.

Maus Magill
05-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Actually, I now have an incredible desire to do this to my Passat.

Hanna
05-23-2007, 01:00 PM

I was recently at the MINIUSA site where you can build your own MINI and add options - these are all the options for the roof graphic (a $200 option):
US flag
Union Jack
Checkered Roof
St. Andrew's Cross
St. Georges Cross
Canadian flag
Puerto Rican flag

Charger
05-23-2007, 09:02 PM
If you were visiting Green Bay, that was me.

Joey P
05-23-2007, 11:57 PM
If you were visiting Green Bay, that was me.
Kenosha

Ghanima
05-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Sorry, but when a "customization" is an "available option," it's no longer cool.

Your car's mods are cool when you have to explain what you want to a tech, not point to it in a catalog and say, "gimme that," or, worse yet, order by number.
That's what the terrorists want you to think.

Rick
05-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Go for this paint job (http://chasingdaisy.blogspot.com/mini%20cooper%20paint_1.JPG) :D

RickQ
06-01-2007, 09:15 PM
I am British and have a red MINI Cooper S with a Union Jack on the roof.

After I got the car I discovered dozens of companies out there who will make anything you can think of for you to put on the roof, bonnet, boot, doors or anywhere else.

Here is a link (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1102876192038501851dCyMXm) to a bunch of photos showing cars with custom paint jobs or graphics.

I love my car, it totally rocks and deanc2000, I don't tend to get strange looks. Most people really like it. I have also met two or three Americans with British flags of their cars. I would say go for it :)

Elendil's Heir
06-01-2007, 11:47 PM
I don't think so, here's the best screenshot I could find (without the red car): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Plans-40325.jpg

Did the Minis in the more recent remake have Union Jacks on them? I at least seem to recall that they were red, white and blue, weren't they?

Best Topics: inherently funny artichoke hearts taste glycerin shelf life regular boy illegal alien genesis malt soft drink ruffles lays strong laxatives yard darts sheep lawn mower coke nail pinky help me pee sks takedown pin yahtzee bonus chips babies and mirrors taiwan letters futurama momcorp bertha rochester balance challenge trimps 6 leg turkey low iq celebrities dragonscale bulletproof slow cranking starter 2nd generation puggles loose audio jack bruising gin pull nose hairs hay bale pricing pharmacist vs nurse cum from lapdance 700x38c tube limberger cheese spread sinuses blocked on one side does silly putty dry out stick my dick in the mashed potatoes buying a new car in massachusetts how long can you wear acuvue oasys how do i find my sound card what happened to mercurochrome how much does a 55 gallon fish tank weigh chihuahua mix with great dane ronald reagan bacon number how to make balloons last longer dating vs going steady what is long hair how do feral cats survive the winter security forces vs military police bathroom sink drain deodorizer practical application of imaginary numbers dragon ball z drinking game can an employer refuse vacation time difference between mob and mafia missed a dose of antibiotics tim conway elephant skit enema and suppository board best mp3 player for blind person 2007 dodge ram gas cap light get amazon prime free trial again can a hospital discharge a patient without their consent ini mini miny moe how many inches is a head taller how to select multiple photos in google photos mynah bird life span