PDA

View Full Version : Is This A Coincidence? Or Am I Just NOW Getting The Joke (Shrek Question)?

Chanteuse
05-31-2007, 12:34 AM
First, a little background. My two younger kids are going through a stage wherein they will ask me why something is named what it is. Sometimes, I can answer factually, but sometimes I just can't ("Why are they called 'trees?'"). Then I say, "Because they didn't want to call them 'fliggles.'" or some other nonsense word I can come up with, and we laugh. Today, it was my son, and I can't remember what he asked about, but I said, "Because they didn't want to call it a farkwad." (I didn't want to drop the "F-bomb" on my seven year old!)

That made me think about how that sounded like the bad guy from Shrek--Lord Farquaad. Chuckle, chuckle, and all that.

Then it hit me--had they actually and intentionally euphemistically named the villain "F***wad?" And if so, why did it take so long for me to realize it?

Or maybe it's all just a big coincidence--what do you think?

DWMarch
05-31-2007, 12:40 AM
First, a little background. My two younger kids are going through a stage wherein they will ask me why something is named what it is. Sometimes, I can answer factually, but sometimes I just can't ("Why are they called 'trees?'"). Then I say, "Because they didn't want to call them 'fliggles.'" or some other nonsense word I can come up with, and we laugh. Today, it was my son, and I can't remember what he asked about, but I said, "Because they didn't want to call it a farkwad." (I didn't want to drop the "F-bomb" on my seven year old!)

That made me think about how that sounded like the bad guy from Shrek--Lord Farquaad. Chuckle, chuckle, and all that.

Then it hit me--had they actually and intentionally euphemistically named the villain "F***wad?" And if so, why did it take so long for me to realize it?

I also got the feeling Farquaad was a play on the similarity to Fuckwad.

Cars is a little more blatant, having the racers competing for the "Piston Cup." (say it out loud a few times)

These movies may be aimed at kids but there's jokes for adults in them too... They just try to be subtle enough about them that kids won't notice until much later in life.

kaylasdad99
05-31-2007, 02:01 AM
Farquaad is definitely a Fuckwad, but I have always supposed the Piston Cup is the Winston Cup (now evidently called the NEXTEL Cup) for a universe in which none of the characters uses tobacco...

Manatee
05-31-2007, 02:50 AM
Man, I'd be pist.

Trunk
05-31-2007, 06:22 AM
What do you think Ivana Humpalot from Austin Powers is supposed to mean?

yojimbo
05-31-2007, 06:30 AM
Or Alotta Fagina?

ShibbOleth
05-31-2007, 07:09 AM
Lord Farquaad is supposed to be a dig at Michael Eisner, with whom the Dreamworks has/had a feud. There are supposed to be some physical similarities and it's their way of calling him a f$ckwad. I remember reading this in a review when Shrek first came out. Of course they would never open themselves up to a suit by admitting it, and it could just be something read into by industry insiders.

BluePitbull
05-31-2007, 07:15 AM
Cars is a little more blatant, having the racers competing for the "Piston Cup." (say it out loud a few times)

I didn't know it was an intentional pun. I thought it was just refering to an actual car part.

WhyNot
05-31-2007, 07:25 AM
Wasn't there a Farquaad, mentioned only in passing, in Douglas Adams' universe? Or maybe used as a curse? I hear it in my head in Zaphod's voice. I assumed it was a shout-out to DNA. The Fuckwad pun never occurred to me.

Trunk
05-31-2007, 07:33 AM
Or Alotta Fagina?
When they played that on TV, her name was changed to "Alotta Cleavage" but they pronounced it "clee-VAH-zhay".

I thought it was funnier than the original.

si_blakely
05-31-2007, 07:42 AM
Or Alotta Fagina?
These are just riffing off James Bond girls/villains who had a history of suggestive names

Honey Rider
Pussy Galore
Holly Goodhead
Xenia Onatopp
Christmas Jones (comes once a year)

Si

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
05-31-2007, 07:42 AM
When they played that on TV, her name was changed to "Alotta Cleavage" but they pronounced it "clee-VAH-zhay".

I thought it was funnier than the original.
Ha, you're right--that is funnier. That's one movie series where making the jokes smaller would have made the laughs bigger.

oft wears hats
05-31-2007, 07:52 AM
Wasn't there a Farquaad, mentioned only in passing, in Douglas Adams' universe? Or maybe used as a curse? I hear it in my head in Zaphod's voice. I assumed it was a shout-out to DNA. The Fuckwad pun never occurred to me.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Great Prophet Zarquon?

"Sirius Cybernetics? Oh Zarquon! Haven't they collapsed yet?!"

And yeah, the Farquaad pun never occurred to me either, it seems a kind of subtle joke. More as an inside joke amongst the creators rather than a joke that was aimed at the audience. They don't call attention to it or anything (like saying, "Man, that guy's a Farquaad!")

WhyNot
05-31-2007, 08:09 AM
Are you sure you're not thinking of the Great Prophet Zarquon?
Maybe I am.

Thudlow Boink
05-31-2007, 10:15 AM
And yeah, the Farquaad pun never occurred to me either, it seems a kind of subtle joke. More as an inside joke amongst the creators rather than a joke that was aimed at the audience. They don't call attention to it or anything (like saying, "Man, that guy's a Farquaad!")Well, it seemed pretty obvious to me. But maybe that just means I'm the kind of guy who snickers at naughty-sounding names.

According to Wikipedia, The name "Farquaad" may be a play on a much more impolite word (cf. Wiktionary:fuckwad). More likely the name was inspired by the number of animators and producers who attended the University of Notre Dame and lived in Carroll Hall. Carroll Hall is the most removed dorm, located across St. Mary's Lake from the rest of campus on what is sometimes referred to as the "Far-Quad."

Trunk
05-31-2007, 10:24 AM
More likely the name was inspired by the number of animators and producers who attended the University of Notre Dame and lived in Carroll Hall. Carroll Hall is the most removed dorm, located across St. Mary's Lake from the rest of campus on what is sometimes referred to as the "Far-Quad."
How on earth does someone write that that is "more likely".

That sounds insanely unlikely to me and like the ramblings of stupid college students.

WOOKINPANUB
05-31-2007, 11:24 AM
As many times as I've watched the Shrek movies, it never once occured to me that it was a play on "fuckwad". I guess I never considered that a particularly typical or oft used expletive. In fact, with the exception of the Pit, I never even hear people use that term.

Flutterby
05-31-2007, 12:04 PM
I thought it was pretty clear that was what it was.

Far-quad? WTF? Considering the crudeness that was an undercurrent to the rest of the movie, it isn't a stretch that Fuckwad is precisely what was meant.

Scuba_Ben
05-31-2007, 12:09 PM
These are just riffing off James Bond girls/villains who had a history of suggestive names

Honey Rider
Pussy Galore
Holly Goodhead
Xenia Onatopp
Christmas Jones (comes once a year)Pussy Galore appears in the novel Goldfinger, so blame Ian Fleming for her name.

Where did Holly Goodhead appear? I think I'm confusing her with Bond's secretary Mary Goodnight (whose only movie appearance is TMWtGG.

pulykamell
05-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Pussy Galore appears in the novel Goldfinger, so blame Ian Fleming for her name.

Where did Holly Goodhead appear? I think I'm confusing her with Bond's secretary Mary Goodnight (whose only movie appearance is TMWtGG.

The masterpiece that is known as ... Moonraker.

freckafree
05-31-2007, 12:31 PM
I didn't know it was an intentional pun. I thought it was just refering to an actual car part.

And lest audience members miss the joke, there's a line where someone refers to the Piston Cup, and Mater responds, "You did WHUT in your cup?!?"

There seems to be a law against releasing a kids' movie that doesn't have potty humor in it. :rolleyes:

pinkfreud
05-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Farquaad is definitely a Fuckwad, but I have always supposed the Piston Cup is the Winston Cup (now evidently called the NEXTEL Cup) for a universe in which none of the characters uses tobacco...The "Piston Cup" wordplay in Cars can't be accidental. When Mater the tow truck hears the name "Piston Cup," he says something like "He did what in your cup?"

EDIT: oops, freckafree said substantially the same thing, and said it sooner.

Trunk
05-31-2007, 12:37 PM
There seems to be a law against releasing a kids' movie that doesn't have potty humor in it. :rolleyes:
There should be!

Sunspace
05-31-2007, 12:43 PM
There should be!No, there shouldn't.

Because then, the potty humour would migrate to the adults' movies. :)

cochrane
05-31-2007, 01:14 PM
Or Alotta Fagina?
"Well, you may be a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater!" :D

Hentor the Barbarian
05-31-2007, 01:15 PM
I didn't know it was an intentional pun. I thought it was just refering to an actual car part.I think that you're correct. It seems more likely that they named it after the piston cup, part of a brake cylinder, and then came up with the Mater joke about it, than they came up with a double entendre that is a stretch to begin with and then also had Mater do a joke about it.

But the Farquuad thing- yeah, obviously intended to sound like "fuckwad."

Ghanima
05-31-2007, 02:11 PM
"Well, you may be a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater!" :D
Miss FAH-gina!

"So exactly what is it that you do, number two?"
"That's my business."

The Hamster King
05-31-2007, 02:28 PM
Honey Rider
Pussy Galore
Holly Goodhead
Xenia Onatopp
Christmas Jones (comes once a year)Molotov Cocktease?

Ellen Cherry
05-31-2007, 02:35 PM
Says the mom who has seen Cars more times than the sunrise, Mater actually says: "He done WHUT in his cup??"

Marley23
05-31-2007, 02:43 PM
And yeah, the Farquaad pun never occurred to me either, it seems a kind of subtle joke.
Not subtle, I assure you. Shrek wasn't really a subtle kind of movie, and it had a bunch of Disney parody, so it's a stretch for me to believe that the name was something the audience wasn't supposed to get. (Or that it's a tribute to a part of the Notre Dame campus. :rolleyes: )

DrDeth
05-31-2007, 03:11 PM

Just about half of Shreck (I) is an attack on Eisner, and Disney. So much so, it was quite annoying to me.

gazpacho
05-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Just about half of Shreck (I) is an attack on Eisner, and Disney. So much so, it was quite annoying to me.Does this mean people will study the movie and write papers about what the various things mean in terms of an attack on Disney? It will be just like reading Gulliver's Travels.

KneadToKnow
05-31-2007, 03:45 PM
I remember reading that the actress who played Holly Goodhead actually managed to convince her mother that the name was supposed to indicated how smart the character was.

:rolleyes:

Mr. Miskatonic
05-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Molotov Cocktease?

Enormous Genetalia!

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: bad blowjob linda hunt dune gomi pioneer woman friends in russian fastest laxative my stepdaughter naked pseudoephedrine free decongestant stolen newspapers electronic odometer cast blocks kreacher harry potter eyelids removed lump on jean claude van damme forehead ck2 best way to get prestige how do you know when the stomach flu is gone how to clip your nails without a nail clipper calling in sick migraine average cost of hay bales what goes good with chicken parmesan standard shower head pipe size how to pay at a bar sinuses clogged when lying down drug detox drink walgreens