PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Simpsons running gag?

Wee Bairn
08-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Or any similar show- I couldn't find a previous thread on this. Anyhoo, mine would be that Burns thinks he's never met Homer- "Excuse me, sir, we've never met" :)

Or at least until a few years ago. That's sort of why I detest the Simpsons orienteering episode where Burns and Homer become pals- ugh.

KneadToKnow
08-09-2007, 07:15 PM
"Midge."

mobo85
08-09-2007, 08:32 PM
I think for me it would have be Homer's bizarre lifelong dreams, and the even more bizarre lifelong dreams Marge always reminds him he's fulfilled. "We got more gongs than that breakdancing robot that caught on fire."

Bryan Ekers
08-10-2007, 01:12 AM
Rakes!

Johnny Hildo
08-10-2007, 01:57 AM
One I miss from the early seasons is when Quimby and Wiggum go into intense film noir speak about who actually runs the town. Such a power struggle.

bbs2k
08-10-2007, 02:42 AM
Most overused catchphrase, ever.

bathsheba
08-10-2007, 05:04 AM
I love that Marge's maiden name was Bouvier.

Ichbin Dubist
08-10-2007, 09:29 AM
"Yoink!" still makes me laugh for some reason.

Annie-Xmas
08-10-2007, 09:58 AM
I love that Marge's maiden name was Bouvier.

I love all the Quimbys as Kennedys parodys.

El Cid Viscoso
08-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Ralphie Wiggum.

cmkeller
08-10-2007, 10:06 AM
The lowly life of Hans Moleman. "Nobody's gay for Moleman." Heh.

SiXSwordS
08-10-2007, 10:31 AM
<snip>Burns thinks he's never met Homer
Smithers: Uh, Homer Simpson, sir. One of your organ banks from sector
7-G. All the recent events of your life have revolved around
him in some way.
Burns: Simpson, eh?

Hard for me to pick a favorite though. Maggie has a few. The pacifier and the fact that she falls on her face every two feet are good. Also, Homer tends to forget her as one of his children:
Homer : But we love Bart and Lisa!
Judge : And Margaret?
Homer : Margaret? Lady you got the wrong file ...
Marge [Whispering] : She means Maggie.
Homer : Oh yeah, I don't have anything against her.

Potato Pancakes
08-10-2007, 11:11 AM
I do enjoy surprise appearances by Crazy Cat Lady.

Gangster Octopus
08-10-2007, 11:29 AM
That pretty much anything that crashes or falls will blow up.

lobstermobster
08-10-2007, 12:56 PM
I love duffman appearances

Duffman cannot die, only the actors who play him.

The Dumbest Guy in the Room
08-10-2007, 01:02 PM
My favourite running gag ever was Trigger calling Rodney "Dave" in Only Fools and Horses . Pretty much perfect timing whenever it was done.

Larry Borgia
08-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Not a running gag per se, but I like that Milhouse Van Houten has Nixon's middle name for a first name, and the name of one of the Manson killers for a last name.

Folly
08-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Not a running gag per se, but I like that Milhouse Van Houten has Nixon's middle name for a first name, and the name of one of the Manson killers for a last name.

Also Mussolini as a middle name.

My vote is 'ol Gil. Guy can't catch a break!

Annie-Xmas
08-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Disco Stu, who was supposed to be a one-shot character.

Wee Bairn
08-10-2007, 01:14 PM

And according to Wikipedia, his middle man is Mussolini- was this ever mentioned in an episode?

ITR champion
08-10-2007, 01:21 PM
I like the jokes about geography, both the fact that they never decide where Springfield is and the fact that buildings within Springfield keep moving in relation to each other.

CJJ*
08-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Hard for me to pick a favorite though. Maggie has a few. The pacifier and the fact that she falls on her face every two feet are good. Also, Homer tends to forget her as one of his children:

Marge: Bart's grades are a little up this semester, but Lisa's are way down.
Homer: D'oh, we always have one good kid and one bad kid.
Marge: We have three kids, Homer.
Homer: Marge, the dog doesn't count as a kid...

MovieMogul
08-10-2007, 01:26 PM
I really, really miss Lionel Hutz. :(

Larry Borgia
08-10-2007, 01:28 PM
And according to Wikipedia, his middle man is Mussolini- was this ever mentioned in an episode?I don't recall it. Is it possible it's a prankish wiki edit?

Kozmik
08-10-2007, 01:31 PM
"I mace you good!"

NDP
08-10-2007, 01:37 PM
I always like Mr. Burns' use of antiquated 19th century terms. However, it's especially funny when he's talking about his employees ("Jackanapes ... LOLLIGAGGERS ... NOODLEHEADS!").

Wee Bairn
08-10-2007, 01:38 PM
I don't recall it. Is it possible it's a prankish wiki edit?

I haven't seen all of the recent eps, but do recall one where we learn one of Milhouse's nans is Italian- maybe it was mentioned then?

Folly
08-10-2007, 01:38 PM
I don't recall it. Is it possible it's a prankish wiki edit?

Pretty recent episode. The one where Lisa is trying to learn Italian and Milhous is her tutor.

Marley23
08-10-2007, 01:42 PM
And according to Wikipedia, his middle man is Mussolini- was this ever mentioned in an episode?
Maybe two years ago. He tutored Lisa in Italian and explained that he learned the language from his Italian grandmother. She hated him and 'taught' him by ordering him to speak in Italian, then chasing him around the countryside and whipping him with an olive branch when he spoke English.

Moriarty
08-10-2007, 01:58 PM
I always like Mr. Burns' use of antiquated 19th century terms. However, it's especially funny when he's talking about his employees ("Jackanapes ... LOLLIGAGGERS ... NOODLEHEADS!").

I love that Burns says "hoy hoy" when he answers the phone. Seems that there was a debate, when the phone was first invented, over the proper telephone greeting - the debate was between "hello" (favored by the phone's inventor, Alexander Graham Bell) and "hoy hoy". Awesome, albeit very sublte, reference.

LionelHutz405
08-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Me too.

MovieMogul
08-10-2007, 02:34 PM
I should say another thing I love is when characters (usually Homer) names things and all the names end with an "eee" sound. Lobster? Pinchy! Elephant? Stampy! Monorail possum? Bitey! Racing rubber duck? Cheaty! Gratuitous cartoon dog? Poochy! (and the list goes on...)

Marley23
08-10-2007, 02:45 PM
I miss Troy McClure's movie titles and educational videos.

Wee Bairn
08-10-2007, 02:47 PM
I also think "Arnie Pye, with Arnie in the Sky" is genius.

RandMcnally
08-10-2007, 03:02 PM

I can't see people's souls Kent, but if I could, your's would be black. Black like a spade.

plnnr
08-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Running gag? The changing messages outside the Springfield Retirement Home. My favorite:

Springfield Retirement Home
Please don't discuss the outside world

or

The signs associated with various businesses:

Sneed's Seed and Feed
formerly
Chuck's

mobo85
08-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I can't see people's souls Kent, but if I could, your's would be black. Black like a spade.

"I'm tired of reporting the news- I want to make the news!"
"Arnie, this isn't the time..."
"You're not the time, Kent! You're not the time!"

"Due to a fire at the army testing lab, a bunch of escaped, infected monkeys are on the freeway. Don't unroll your windows, because those monkeys look confused and irritable!"

"And look out on the corner of 14th and Elm, because I just dropped my bagel!"

dnooman
08-10-2007, 03:26 PM
I like the signs outside of various events, conventions, and the church.

Bi-mon-sci-fi-con!

7:30 Medfly spraying
8:00 Concert
8:15 Medfly spraying, second pass

SiXSwordS
08-10-2007, 03:36 PM
I love that Burns says "hoy hoy" when he answers the phone. Seems that there was a debate, when the phone was first invented, over the proper telephone greeting - the debate was between "hello" (favored by the phone's inventor, Alexander Graham Bell) and "hoy hoy". Awesome, albeit very sublte, reference.
So close and yet so far.

Alexander Graham Bell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello) initially used Ahoy (as used on ships) as a telephone greeting. Edison suggested hello.

A favorite Burns anachronism line:
Burns: I'd like to send this to the Prussian consulate in Siam by Aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 auto-gyro?

And I'm surprised no one's mentioned the prank call (http://thisisarecording.com/prankcalls/the_simpsons_prank_calls_mp3.shtml) bit. My favorite part is Moe's responses.

Moe Szyslak: When I get a hold of you, I'm gonna use your head as a bucket and paint my house with your brain.

KneadToKnow
08-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Smoke Yourself Thin

Classic.

Sneed's Seed and Feed
formerly
Chuck's
I remember wondering when I saw that the first time how many people were going to not get it.

Moriarty
08-10-2007, 03:47 PM
So close and yet so far.

Alexander Graham Bell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello) initially used Ahoy (as used on ships) as a telephone greeting. Edison suggested hello.

D'oh!

jsc1953
08-10-2007, 04:12 PM

I often wondered if I was the only one who got this joke.

iamthewalrus(:3=
08-10-2007, 04:15 PM
A favorite Burns anachronism line:
Burns: I'd like to send this to the Prussian consulate in Siam by Aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 auto-gyro?I'm a big fan of when Burns asks about how his "blue chip" investments, Amalgamated Spats and Confederated Slave Holdings, are doing: "They're, uh. Steady."

And referring to the pedals of the car as the velocitator and deceleratrix.

dnooman
08-10-2007, 04:21 PM
What exactly is the joke there?

SiXSwordS
08-10-2007, 04:29 PM
The low quality and outdated school media in general:
The moon belongs to America, and eagerly awaits the arrival of our astro-men

But, Troy, you may remember me, McClure (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZjmpE9VlehU) (youtube) had some great ones:
You may remember me from such medical films as: "Alice doesn't live anymore" and "Mommy, what's wrong with that man's face."
and who could forget:
Mmm, that's good Billy

Malthus
08-10-2007, 04:30 PM
What exactly is the joke there?

He's deliberately not using the obvious "pye in the sky".

Wee Bairn
08-10-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm a big fan of when Burns asks about how his "blue chip" investments, Amalgamated Spats and Confederated Slave Holdings, are doing: "They're, uh. Steady."

Don't forget Transatlantic Zeppelin, Congreve's Inflammable Powder, U.S. Hay and the up-and-coming Baltimore Opera Hat Company. :)

I love these as well. The episode where they go to Cuba has a lot of them-
thinking Homer is from Colliers magazine, "The new Packards we've been hearing about", and thinking Batista is still in power. And Wiggums "that was really more of a burgundy" response to the APB on a maroon 1939 Stutz Bearcat is sublime.

The outdated 50's filmstrips are classic- the little kid not wanting to live a world with zinc in it, or something like that.

Marley23
08-10-2007, 04:47 PM
The outdated 50's filmstrips are classic- the little kid not wanting to live a world with zinc in it, or something like that.
Yeah. Maybe you already know this, but that's a terrific parody of a real, and real awful, educational film called "A Case of Spring Fever," in which a demonic little cartoon spring torments a man who wishes that springs didn't exist, turning the man into a frightful bore who annoys all of his friends by prattling on endlessly about springs. Mystery Science Theatre showed 'Spring Fever' during its last season.

dnooman
08-10-2007, 05:17 PM
:smack:

mobo85
08-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah. Maybe you already know this, but that's a terrific parody of a real, and real awful, educational film called "A Case of Spring Fever," in which a demonic little cartoon spring torments a man who wishes that springs didn't exist, turning the man into a frightful bore who annoys all of his friends by prattling on endlessly about springs. Mystery Science Theatre showed 'Spring Fever' during its last season.

A Case of Sping Fever (http://youtube.com/watch?v=v58argQ3l-M)

A fine(?) example of what you'll find at the Prelinger Archives (http://archive.org/details/prelinger), where MST3K got most of its public-domain short films, including this one. No springs! Hee hee hee!

An Gadaí
08-10-2007, 05:44 PM
The references to Mr. Plow in later on episodes always get a wee giggle from me.

dnooman
08-10-2007, 05:50 PM
A Case of Sping Fever (http://youtube.com/watch?v=v58argQ3l-M)

A fine(?) example of what you'll find at the Prelinger Archives (http://archive.org/details/prelinger), where MST3K got most of its public-domain short films, including this one. No springs! Hee hee hee!
Nooo springs!! Haha. Boy I can't even fathom how many hours I've spent on fixing the couch.

Don Draper
08-10-2007, 05:51 PM
The references to Mr. Plow in later on episodes always get a wee giggle from me.

The giant Aztec head that Mr. Burns gave to Bart as a thank-you for his life-saving blood donation. Several episodes depict it languishing in the basement, and (IIRC) it was one of the Simpson family items on sale at their street fair.

Mahaloth
08-10-2007, 05:55 PM
"Midge."

Explain this one to me.

I noticed in the movie, Moe called Marge "Midge". When did this start and why?

mobo85
08-10-2007, 05:57 PM
I noticed in the movie, Moe called Marge "Midge". When did this start and why?

For some reason, Moe has always believed Marge's name is Midge.

Troy McClure SF
08-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Never heard of 'im.

Wee Bairn
08-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Marley23, mobo85, thanks- just today I was debating whether to buy a DVD with 30 minutes of these classics for 10-15 bucks for shits and giglges- it didn't occur to me that they would be out there for free.

Full Metal Lotus
08-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Grampa Simpson...

He represents the time "before" the present...

Like Mr Burns, but in a watered down way.

His argument with Marge's Mom about various home remedies.. "Smeckler's Powder!"

His references to the past seem to show the compression effect of history.. (He's old, so he must remember Napoleon).. He talks about the Kaiser, wooden nickles, dresses in zoot suits, swing dances, and such...

Seems to have direct knowledge and involvment in all major wars previous to Vietnam

You can find your own examples if you search You Tube for Grampa Simpson...

Regards
FML

NDP
08-10-2007, 08:01 PM
The giant Aztec head that Mr. Burns gave to Bart as a thank-you for his life-saving blood donation. Several episodes depict it languishing in the basement, and (IIRC) it was one of the Simpson family items on sale at their street fair.
"Not Aztec, Olmec."

Hoops
08-11-2007, 01:00 AM

This is a characteristic type of Simpsons humor: putting an obvious joke out there and then declining to use it. My favorite is the name of Bart's teacher: Mrs Krabappel. Nobody, not even her students, seem to notice that it could be pronounced crabapple. This led to a memorable gag:

Homer: "Bart's teacher's name is Krabappel? I've been calling her Crandall!"

Just for a split second, when he utters the first syllable of Crandall, you think he's going to say crabapple. Possibly one of the fastest gags in TV history.

Scissorjack
08-11-2007, 06:44 AM
My favorite is the name of Bart's teacher: Mrs Krabappel. Nobody, not even her students, seem to notice that it could be pronounced crabapple.

Milhous did once, when he briefly became a rebel, and the entire schoolbus reacted with astounded glee.

Spice Weasel
08-11-2007, 07:22 AM
"Release the hounds."

TheLoadedDog
08-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Smithers' closeted homosexuality and crush on Mr Burns were absolutely brilliant in the early episodes. Unfortunately, they utterly wrecked it by making it too obvious later on.

KneadToKnow
08-11-2007, 08:53 AM
For some reason, Moe has always believed Marge's name is Midge.
Actually, I know they've goofed sometimes (I know he calls her Marge on the popsicle-stick episode), but I love that they at least try.

gallows fodder
08-11-2007, 10:42 AM
I love the Bumblebee Guy and his cries of alarm. ("Ay! Un gato malodoro!" / "Ay! Mi estomago!" / "Ay! Dios no me ama!" etc)

Justin_Bailey
08-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Smithers' closeted homosexuality and crush on Mr Burns were absolutely brilliant in the early episodes. Unfortunately, they utterly wrecked it by making it too obvious later on.

You mean like the very recent episode The Telltale Head (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Telltale_Head) where Smithers tells Burns he loves him?

The earlier episodes must have been obviously much subtler about it if it was utterly wrecked and obvious by the eighth episode of the series.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: penguin jesus textbook custom cheesecake without springform notched dog tags applebees microwave dishwater blonde hair can wood melt flavored douche jesu pronunciation ck2 prestige herbie the love bug theme song how many times around the track is a mile what do veiny hands mean getting drunk on vanilla extract does panera sell bread bowls can quiche be made ahead feels like something crawling in my nose shot of whiskey origin snopes clowns coming out of a car stardew valley trees won't grow how to pronounce boehner