PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever seen or participated in a kissing booth?

The Weird One
03-14-2008, 10:06 PM
My boyfriend and I were talking this evening about the prevalence of kissing booths in popular culture (particularly TV), as opposed to the fact that neither of us has ever seen or heard of one in real life. We started wondering if they've ever really existed, or are just a sort of urban legend. Has anyone here ever encountered one?

Thorium Indium Potassium
03-14-2008, 10:21 PM
My boyfriend and I were talking this evening about the prevalence of kissing booths in popular culture (particularly TV), as opposed to the fact that neither of us has ever seen or heard of one in real life. We started wondering if they've ever really existed, or are just a sort of urban legend. Has anyone here ever encountered one?

We had them on our college campus, run by fraternities and sororities to raise funds.

bbs2k
03-14-2008, 10:27 PM
I'd kiss that for a dollar! [/Bixby Snyder]

I've never seen one. 27 YO, college going & fair attending.

freckafree
03-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Yep, my Catholic School had a carnival fund-raiser every year, and one of the features was a kissing booth.

brujaja
03-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Hey, The Weird One, I don't mean to be a drag, but since this subject hardly ever comes up, I have to tell you the truth:

When I was sixteen, I went to a Renaissance faire and met a guy who was working at the kissing booth. I was very awkward socially, hence unpopular, hence incredibly dumb & inexperienced. He was much older. We started dating.

Everything went fine, until he kidnapped and "assaulted" me. I got away.

That being said, I know it was an extremely rare result, an isolated incident. Bad luck + bad judgement. And this was more than twenty years ago.

I have no problem with kissing booths otherwise. (I might be saying that wrong.) Harmless flirtation is good, and a necessary part of life even for, er, teenage nerds.

pkbites
03-14-2008, 11:35 PM
We had one at at some festival in middle school (we didn't have "Junior High" where I grew up [West Bend, WI.]. 6th-to-8th grade was "Middle School") early to mid-70's. 10 cents got you a kiss.

If I remember correctly it was a Mardi Gras thing they had every year. I wonder how many public schools would allow such a huge celebration as we had for that. Probably almost none.

bbs2k
03-15-2008, 12:00 AM
oops

Kid_A
03-15-2008, 12:14 AM
24 years old. I've never seen a kissing booth in high school or university and I've never heard anyone actually talk about one. Both my high school and university were big on fundraising so the opportunity to have one was there.

DrDeth
03-15-2008, 03:05 AM
Yes, but it was a long time ago. You'd have to be 40+, likely.

matt_mcl
03-15-2008, 04:32 AM
The following happened at my university:

some dude and some girl: *are selling kisses for charity*
me: How much?
dude: $2.
me: Here's $2. Pucker up.
dude: Uh... maybe you'd be interested in Megan?
me: Forget Megan. I choose you, Pikachu.
dude: ...
me: Oh, don't wuss out. This is for CHARITY.
dude: ... *restrained heterosexual panic*
me: *GLOMP*

bbs2k
03-15-2008, 04:36 AM
me: *GLOMP*Nice!

:cool:

I sort of feel bad for the guy (My "no-homo" meter would be ticking slightly as well), but at least he has a story to tell for life (as would have I).

Gala Matrix Fire
03-15-2008, 11:44 AM
I've never seen an actual booth. When I was in high school in the early 80's our cheerleading squad decided to sell kisses as a fundraiser. They weren't self-aware enough to realize they were commonly thought to be the least attractive squad of cheerleaders ever, so they didn't do so well. I think they ended up saving face by selling Hershey's kisses. Or maybe I'm remembering the whole thing wrong.

Otto
03-15-2008, 11:50 AM
My LGBT college group had one at some campus festival or other the first year I was at that school and I staffed it for a few hours, but it was more to be a presence than out of any expectation that we'd get any business.

guizot
03-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Hey, The Weird One, I don't mean to be a drag, but since this subject hardly ever comes up, I have to tell you the truth:

When I was sixteen, I went to a Renaissance faire and met a guy who was working at the kissing booth. I was very awkward socially, hence unpopular, hence incredibly dumb & inexperienced. He was much older. We started dating.

Everything went fine, until he kidnapped and "assaulted" me. I got away.

That being said, I know it was an extremely rare result, an isolated incident. Bad luck + bad judgement. And this was more than twenty years ago.Yep, that's how they always get started. First the kissing booth, then the dating, then the kidnapping and assault. It never fails.

Fretful Porpentine
03-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah, a bunch of my friends in college lived in a house together, and they occasionally had parties featuring a kissing booth (consisting of an old screen door propped up in the backyard and strung with Christmas lights). The rules were, basically, that you had to stay there until three people offered to kiss you, and then the third person replaced you. Silly game, but it was a tourist town where most of the entertainment was geared toward middle-aged couples with kids, and we were liquored up and easily bored.
Heh, in our version, the entire POINT was that it gave you an excuse to kiss people of other than your preferred gender, with no strings attached and no committments :)

Least Original User Name Ever
03-15-2008, 12:10 PM
I like the entire "*glomp*" effect. It works nicely. It also makes it sound like a very big and wet kiss.

ZenBeam
03-15-2008, 12:48 PM
me: *GLOMP*...and maybe that's why we don't see kissing booths anymore....

;)

Rick
03-15-2008, 12:50 PM
I had this girlfriend once that could kiss. Man could she kiss. As in the best kisser ever.
She worked in a kissing booth once. She had a line of a dozen guys lined up while the other girls didn't have anyone lined up.
Did I mention she was a great kisser?

The Weird One
03-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Wow, the kissing booth is obviously much more common than I'd expected! So what kind of kiss is generally exchanged? Does the person paying get a quick peck on the cheek? On the lips? Full-on tonsil hockey?

rowrrbazzle
03-15-2008, 04:34 PM
My only experience with a kissing "booth" (thinly disguised as a game) was at the Renaissance Faire in Novato, north of SF. In my case, yes, it was "full-on tonsil hockey". :)

...and maybe that's why we don't see kissing booths anymore....

;)The year after my above experience, the booth had vanished. In the intervening time, AIDS had been first recognized.

Millit the Frail
03-15-2008, 05:24 PM

That....is awesome. I would give you $2 to see you glomp him a second time. :) It's just a kiss, people, not a wedding! I've never seen a kissing booth, but in my single days, I probably would have been too self-conscious to participate at either end. Nowadays, I'm more confident, but I'd leave a trail of men (and possibly women too) with broken hearts after noticing my wedding rings. :cool:

Chessic Sense
03-15-2008, 05:33 PM
The college seniors had "senior night" where you'd kiss a senior for a dollar. You'd get some tongue and it was about 5 seconds long. Depended on the kisser and the payee, of course. Most of the guys at that school were gay, so the girls were happy that I'd come along.

TV time
03-16-2008, 04:22 PM
When I was in Boy Scouts, my troop was working some sort of of local telethon in Phoenix, Arizona and the woman who was playing Ellie Mae Clampett, a Miss Arizona, and some other beauty queen offered to host a kissing booth for one hour. I was at the front of the line with my $5 (a lot of money at the time for me - now that I think of it, it still is). A news photographer snapped it and it appeared in the local paper.

I was the envy of every young boy in the Valley of the Sun for a while (and maybe some not so young).

Grrr!
03-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Yep, my Catholic School had a carnival fund-raiser every year, and one of the features was a kissing booth.

My head just exploded.

I likes me some kiss'n but I can't imagine in todays age how something like this could even be considered.

Two and a Half Inches of Fun
03-16-2008, 11:40 PM
What kind of kiss do you get? I always assumed it was a kiss on the check, but some of the responses here imply something more - one even talked about tongue. So what do you get? Is there a cold sore factor?

Two and a Half Inches of Fun
03-16-2008, 11:41 PM
Nowadays, I'm more confident, but I'd leave a trail of men (and possibly women too) with broken hearts after noticing my wedding rings.

Do you have multiple spouses?

Triskadecamus
03-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Thirty years ago, for a "fair" related to my workplace, I had a tee shirt made with a message:

Kisses: 5
Six for 25
Big wet ones: 50

All kisses guaranteed.

I made three bucks. (for charity, of course.)

Years later, when the shirt was quite old, and tattered, I put a large block letter addition across it. SALE! 20% OFF.

Tris

DrDeth
03-17-2008, 12:36 AM
What kind of kiss do you get? I always assumed it was a kiss on the check, but some of the responses here imply something more - one even talked about tongue. So what do you get? Is there a cold sore factor?

No cheek. Mouth, at least "damp', likely open mouth, maybe tongue.Of course it helped if you were Ok looking, didn't have bad breath, etc. A slob/troll might get a cheek. Hunky McHunkerson might get 1st base.

Note that the peak came before the prevelance of Herpes.

BellRungBookShut-CandleSnuffed
03-17-2008, 01:29 AM
That....is awesome. I would give you $2 to see you glomp him a second time. :) It's just a kiss, people, not a wedding! I've never seen a kissing booth, but in my single days, I probably would have been too self-conscious to participate at either end. Nowadays, I'm more confident, but I'd leave a trail of men (and possibly women too) with broken hearts after noticing my wedding rings. :cool:
Dude, I'd pay $2 just to see what a glomp is! Snog I understand, as well as mmphmph, but glomp is a new one to me. Almost sounds like you ate his lips, and not in a good way.

Little Nemo
03-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Heh, in our version, the entire POINT was that it gave you an excuse to kiss people of other than your preferred gender, with no strings attached and no committmentsSo would girls be lining up to kiss other girls? I can see this working out.

"How much did our sorority make at the charity fair?"
"Well, we made $50 selling kisses."
"That's not very much."
"But we also made $5000 for letting frat boys watch."

tdn
03-17-2008, 02:22 PM
This one time, at summer camp?

There was some sort of activity night where each cabin had something fun for other campers to experience, the cost being one fake "dollar." It might have been getting your picture taken with a celebrity cutout, or playing on a jungle gym for 5 minutes or whatever. I don't even remember what any of them were, except for two.

One of the boys' cabins set up a haunted house. I paid my "dollar", walked about three feet in, then asked for my dollar back. I totally chickened out.

One of the girls' cabins had -- well, I didn't know what it was at first, but this really really cute older woman (maybe twelve?) asked me if I wanted to kiss her. Oh hell no! I cast my eyes down and quickened my pace.

It was a night of fear for me.

Zebra
03-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Forget Megan. I choose you, Pikachu.

BWAAHahahahahaha

I've seen one, well, it was empty at the time as the fair was not up.

Least Original User Name Ever
03-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I forgot to also show my giggling for the entire Pikachu comment too.

ThirdCultureKid
03-17-2008, 03:36 PM

AWESOME.

Valgard
03-17-2008, 05:36 PM
My only experience with a kissing "booth" (thinly disguised as a game) was at the Renaissance Faire in Novato, north of SF. In my case, yes, it was "full-on tonsil hockey". :)

The year after my above experience, the booth had vanished. In the intervening time, AIDS had been first recognized.

I was going to mention the same thing. As in the same Ren Faire in the same place - the game was something like launching wet sponges out of a toy catapult at a group of men/women, whoever you hit (and if the shooter was attractive the targets would reach out to catch wide shots) you smooched.

I was there with some friends including the first girl I ever dated (and never kissed). She got quite the "glomp" (to borrow matt_mcl's sound effect) from an older guy.

Good times.

whiterabbit
03-17-2008, 11:01 PM
I have had a board crush on you for years, matt. You are just too damn cute and funny. Too bad I'm a girl!

I don't think I've seen a kissing booth, even at the two different RenFaires I've been to. Hmm.

blondebear
03-17-2008, 11:29 PM
...at the Renaissance Faire in Novato...
The booths were called "Soak-A-Bloke" and "Drench-A-Wench" . For a buck or two, you got to shoot sponges at the kisser or your choice. My roommate worked in one of the booths...he came home with a wench more than once.

Dr. Woo
03-18-2008, 04:25 PM
The booths were called "Soak-A-Bloke" and "Drench-A-Wench" . For a buck or two, you got to shoot sponges at the kisser or your choice. My roommate worked in one of the booths...he came home with a wench more than once.
I remember those! One year one of the wenches had a full beard; there was a lot of traffic around that booth.

Ren Faires are the only place I've ever seen them, and I'm so old that that when I was in high school we had something called Slave Days, where members of the freshman class were auctioned off to upper classmen.

Lust4Life
03-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Slightly O.T. but has anyone ever come across a"Speak your Weight"machine?

I've heard plenty of jokes about them but have never ever seen one.

jackdavinci
03-19-2008, 01:03 PM
I'd seen them in TV and movies but never in real life til two years ago, at the NYC Burning Man Decom. Someone wanted to be relieved and asked me to take over, but I was too shy, and too insecure about my appearance. There was also a cool "spin the bottle" device in another room, constructed sort of like a standing sundial, with two bottles that could spin independently - one to determine who you would kiss, and another to determine whether it was a kiss, or something... else ;-) I did play that one.

Best Topics: report gun stolen afrin half life black tonsil stones chinese sex basket is limey offensive slept 20 hours relativistic bomb kava kava reddit winged eyeball ethyl gasoline great school org natalie portman nips gamestop id setar taimse store bought mushrooms butter expiration iv d5w uvula piercing osmoprep reviews playwarships review dino prato quack giant height penguin vagina glue high edward woodward imdb cali bamboo price prednisone and bronchitis jerry lundegard he pussy visible tampon string gasoline shoes kissing booth carnival how to stop chewing the inside of my mouth how to bypass egr valve sterile water for irrigation walgreens how much does cat euthanasia cost how to keep your face warm in winter another word for airhead parts of a phone number where can i buy 100 isopropyl alcohol where does desert sand come from three stooges step by step what is anesthesia like the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few charles dickens the aristocrats south park how to stretch out a shirt how much do c cups weigh my wifes big pussy propylene glycol alginate (e405) vatican age of consent snl 25th anniversary special watch online diet mt dew calories staring into the void meaning fish and chips newspaper will oxycodone help me sleep cake with a file in it how to listen to audible books on pc i know half of you bilbo baggins tequila and dr pepper how long are pickled eggs good for in the fridge weak hands in the morning how long is coffee good for after brewed what is branch water authors like stuart woods why do we punish criminals