PDA

View Full Version : Best Frozen Pizza?

Khadaji
03-25-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm sure we can all agree that fresh pizza is the best, but sometimes you just can't get it. What is the best Frozen Pizza?

Icerigger
03-25-2008, 05:16 PM
I like Red Baron.

Amp
03-25-2008, 05:21 PM
DiGiorno's. Always my favorite.

Cluricaun
03-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Home Run Inn, no question. If we're talking about as cheap as can be then the Jewel house brand Chef's Kitchen's are the best.

Voyager
03-25-2008, 05:27 PM
DiGiorno's. Always my favorite.
I had Red Baron (cheaper) and DiGiorno's within a few days of each other. DiGiorno's was far superior.

Aside: Red Baron used to make single serving breakfast pizzas (2 to a box) which were pretty good. But they seem to have vanished. Does anyone have them in their local groceries?

pinkfreud
03-25-2008, 05:28 PM
The best frozen pizza I've ever eaten is the Schwan's Special Recipe Supreme (http://schwans.com/product/productDetails.aspx?tb=2&c1=4775&c2=4789&c3=4791&prd=63873). It's a great bargain, too.

teela brown
03-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Trader Joe's brand pizza margarita. I've tried many frozen pizzas, but theirs is always crisp and melty and good. I looked at the box and see that their pizzas are made in Italy! No wonder they're so good.

I try to have on hand some Italian sausage in the freezer at all times so I can cook up a little of it and top the plain pizza. Yummy!

Wee Bairn
03-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Some Kroger's sell a Reggio's frozen pizza thats really good- buttery crust, and a sweet cheese that taste a bit like beer.

myskepticsight
03-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Jack's

ETA: pepperoni, well done, with some Hidden Valley ranch

Zjestika
03-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Some Kroger's sell a Reggio's frozen pizza thats really good- buttery crust, and a sweet cheese that taste a bit like beer.

Yeah, those are really good. I've gotten them at Cub and even Aldi.

Anyone ever have Connie's? I've seen them at Cub and they are pretty pricey, in the $8 range. My curiosity is piqued by such an expensive frozen pizza.

Justin Credible
03-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Tombstone. It's really the only brand of frozen pizza that I like. In fact, I like it as well as or even better than some restaurant pizza.

We used to eat California Pizza Kitchen pizza from the store, but got burnt out on it. It really wasn't nearly as good as the real thing.

E. Thorp
03-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Trader Joe's brand pizza margarita.You speak truth.

twickster
03-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Another vote for DiGiorno's.

Captain Amazing
03-25-2008, 06:24 PM
I've always like Stouffer's French Bread pizza, even though it can be on the dry side.

AuntiePam
03-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Another vote for DiGiorno's.

Me too, especially their Garlic Bread pizza.

I like the one from California Kitchen with just cheese and tomatoes, but I can't get it around here anymore.

lilflower
03-25-2008, 06:53 PM
If you are looking for something relatively healthy, try Wolfgang Puck's frozen pizza - the ingredients are all natural and they taste really good. Kashi recently got into the frozen pizza market as well and theirs are very tasty.

MadTheSwine
03-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Tombstone. It's really the only brand of frozen pizza that I like. In fact, I like it as well as or even better than some restaurant pizza.

We used to eat California Pizza Kitchen pizza from the store, but got burnt out on it. It really wasn't nearly as good as the real thing.

Hope so, since I just this very minute returned from the store with one.

I like Jack's a bunch.

hekk
03-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Palermo's Rustic Italian Sausage. Heaven on a cardboard shingle.

MissGypsy
03-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Jack's is quite good, but I can't find it around here. Red Baron is my second choice, followed by Tombstone. For cheap pizza, I like Totino's, especially the Mexican-style (hey, it's only $1.)

Do NOT, under any circumstances, ever consider Tony's. That stuff was so foul even my kids wouldn't eat it, and they eat dirt.

Glory
03-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Freschetta 4 cheese.

Cluricaun
03-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Me too, especially their Garlic Bread pizza.

Those are tasty, but they give me the stomach issues something fierce.

Someone upthread mentioned Connies. Those are excellent for a frozen, but overpriced IMHO.

Hey, It's That Guy!
03-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Archer Farms (the high-end Target house brand) has some really terrific frozen pizzas with imported ingredients. They're easily as good as DiGiorno, Freschetta, and the higher-end name brands, and often better.

Then again, everything from Archer Farms is really good.

blondebear
03-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Pizzeria Uno makes a decent frozen deep dish, if you're in the mood for Chicago-style.

Any frozen pizza can be improved with some chopped tomato, onions and mushrooms tossed together with some basil and a dribble of olive oil.

Amazingrace
03-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Digiorno Spicy Chicken. Even my frozen pizza eating SO likes it. I'll have to try the Archer Farms... I just moved to an area with a Target with a frozen section.

Ogre
03-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Totino's

:D

Snooooopy
03-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Freschetta's sauce-stuffed-crust pizza. I think it has since been discontinued, though.

pprgrl
03-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Archer Farms (the high-end Target house brand) has some really terrific frozen pizzas with imported ingredients. They're easily as good as DiGiorno, Freschetta, and the higher-end name brands, and often better.

Then again, everything from Archer Farms is really good.

I'll second this. They have a good variety of different types of veggie-only pizzas too, which is great for those of us who don't eat meat but get bored of the plain ol' cheese.

Two and a Half Inches of Fun
03-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Totino's

vertizontal
03-25-2008, 09:17 PM
I've been a loyal eater of Tombstones for decades.
Cook it directly on the rack.

chique
03-25-2008, 11:48 PM
Aside: Red Baron used to make single serving breakfast pizzas (2 to a box) which were pretty good. But they seem to have vanished. Does anyone have them in their local groceries?I can still find them here in central MN.

Until my chemo started making everying taste like cardboard those little individual regular pizzas were my regular work lunch - I still haven't found a better microwavable pizza. They don't just "tastes good for a nuked pizza"; they're simply GOOD out of the micro.

I like DiGiorno but I simply can't justify the price - might as well order Papa John's. Red Baron has become my favorite simply because of its cost/quality ratio.

I grew up on Schwann's frozen pizzas - they really are THE best - but, again, lose out on the cost/quality ratio.

Voyager
03-25-2008, 11:57 PM
I can still find them here in central MN.

Until my chemo started making everying taste like cardboard those little individual regular pizzas were my regular work lunch - I still haven't found a better microwavable pizza. They don't just "tastes good for a nuked pizza"; they're simply GOOD out of the micro.

The pizza pizzas are still around, just not the breakfast ones. I'll need to find an excuse to go to MN. With dry ice. :)

The Controvert
03-26-2008, 01:58 AM
Totinos

Marlitharn
03-26-2008, 05:45 AM
Totinos.

And I'm actually serious.

panache45
03-26-2008, 06:56 AM
DiGiorno Ultimate, when they're on sale. There really is a difference between the Regular and the Ultimate.

peekercpa
03-26-2008, 07:28 AM
Gotta be DiGiorno

Defensive Indifference
03-26-2008, 07:29 AM
I'm a Red Baron loyalist.

This discussion reminds me of a trip I made to a local dive some years ago. This was a pretty run-down, scabby looking place, with cheap beer. They had a chalkboard menu with burgers and such. Deep into a night of heavy drinking, I found myself a little peckish, and I ordered pizza. A few minutes later, out came the Totino's. Classy.

Angel of the Lord
03-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Another vote for Jewel's Chef's Kitchen frozen pizzas for "best discount frozen pizza." For non-discount. . .Home Run Inn is fantastic. So's Reggio's. Connie's is good, too. DiGiorno is, IMHO, overrated; too much sauce.

Figaro
03-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Connie's is my favorite. (Connie's is the brand name)

It's the only frozen pizza I've had that didn't seem like a taste concession for the sake of convenience. Great toppings, very fresh, thin crust that's a good compromise between crispy and tender, and a dusting of corn meal on the bottom for that pizzaria feel. Mmmmmmm...

They sell them at Whole Foods and a few other places around here...not sure what chains carry them elsewhere.

Shecky
03-26-2008, 08:43 AM
I used to be a big fan of Celeste. But then they changed to Mama Celeste and it wasn't the same.

BobLibDem
03-26-2008, 08:45 AM
I can't find it anywhere, but Moose Brothers was my favorite.

Our local Kroger has Angelino's from time to time, not sure if that's national or regional or what, but it's very good.

Max Torque
03-26-2008, 11:50 AM
DiGiorno's Garlic Bread Crust is the best frozen pizza I've ever tasted. It's better than many delivery places' pizzas. Like that new pan pizza thing from Papa John's, what the hell was that? Tasted like a pizza baked on a Pop Tart crust. No thanks.

But, DiGiorno's are rare treats. For a quick pizza fix, I like Totino's. They get ya by, and they're what, $1.25, maybe a buck on sale? A steal.

Most of what's been mentioned is quite good in its own way, but the above are my favorites.

Hazle Weatherfield
03-26-2008, 12:51 PM
You speak truth.

Agreed!

astorian
03-26-2008, 01:09 PM
If you can't get "real" pizza, Costco's pizzas are pretty decent. Not as good as you'll get at a genuine family-owned Italian joint, but much better than most of the big chains (Pizza Hut, Domino's, Little Caesar, etc.).

yellowval
03-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Another vote for Red Baron.

Something people might not realize is that Red Baron, Tony's, Schwan's, and Freschetta pizzas are all made by the same company. Schwan's owns them all. I only know this because Schwan's headquarters is about 20 miles from where I live (Marshall, Minnesota).

Wee Bairn
03-26-2008, 01:21 PM
One to avoid though is Kroger store brand that looks similar Tombstone- horrible crust, cheese and sauce. However, the very cheap Korger store brand is pretty tasty, although they seem to have shrunk by about 75% over the last ten years.

Iggins
03-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Costco sells a thin crust frozen pizza (3-pack), but I can't remember the name. Excellent tasting sauce and crust, and great for a light meal.

I also like DiGiornos and the Trader Joe's pizza.

I will have to try the Target Archer's brand!

Anastasaeon
03-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Another vote for Red Baron.

Something people might not realize is that Red Baron, Tony's, Schwan's, and Freschetta pizzas are all made by the same company. Schwan's owns them all. I only know this because Schwan's headquarters is about 20 miles from where I live (Marshall, Minnesota).

Really? Excellent! I'll have to check out some Red Baron next time I go shopping. I just last night picked up a couple of Freschetta Brick Oven cheese pizzas on sale and discovered I really loved them. I may be biased, however; these pizzas taste similar to the simple, plain cheese pizzas my mother makes from the Kraft Pizza mixes - the boxed ones you can get in Canada. I used to tease her when I was living at home about how she never made anything with "flavour"... and now here I am, miles away, chowing down on some simple, unadorned cheese pizza, just like my mother used to make. Sigh. (I'm also back on the vegetarian wagon again, as I've been finding that meat gives me raging heartburn - delicious but deadly.)

I should have known most products out there are similar to what I know about sardines after working in the sardine plant: Same factory, same fish, same sauces, different brand labels. 95% of the brands I see at the grocery store are exactly the same, they just have different lids (and prices!) issued to them.

Does Red Baron make any just cheese pizzas, or veggie-type pizzas that anyone found were good? I've never noticed before, and I feel like I've only seen meat-type pizzas.

Defensive Indifference
03-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Does Red Baron make any just cheese pizzas, or veggie-type pizzas that anyone found were good? I've never noticed before, and I feel like I've only seen meat-type pizzas.
I like their Four-Cheese pizza.

yellowval
03-26-2008, 01:53 PM
The Red Baron four-cheese pizza is definitely good. Unfortunately, Anastasaeon, I don't think Red Baron and Freschetta pizzas are too similar, though it's been a while since I've had a Freschetta. I may have to buy one today. I do think the Schwan's pizzas they sell off the truck are exactly the same as the Tony's pizzas.

Anastasaeon
03-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Well, sweet, I'll keep my eyes open for the four cheese Red Baron today, thanks guys. :)

I should have mentioned, they don't have to taste like the Freschetta Brick Oven ones, I like to try everything. Always good to have a variety; if I were stuck to only liking and eating one type of cheese pizza, I'd go mad. :eek:

Missy2U
03-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Another vote for Jewel's Chef's Kitchen frozen pizzas for "best discount frozen pizza."

Third it. In fact, I'm stopping on my way home to pick up a Thin & Crispy Pepperoni and a T&C Deluxe. (We only eat the t&c - the regular isn't as good.)

Zjestika
03-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Connie's is my favorite. (Connie's is the brand name)

It's the only frozen pizza I've had that didn't seem like a taste concession for the sake of convenience. Great toppings, very fresh, thin crust that's a good compromise between crispy and tender, and a dusting of corn meal on the bottom for that pizzaria feel. Mmmmmmm...

They sell them at Whole Foods and a few other places around here...not sure what chains carry them elsewhere.

Oh, cool, I'll have to try it then!

(I don't know if you noticed that I asked about Connie's in my post. Thanks!)

flickster
03-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Not to side track the frozen love, but I've found the take & bake fresh pizza at Sam's are very competitively priced and come out of the over pretty tastee.

Note: I always place them on a large ceramic tile in a preheated oven and the crust, even though it's a little thicker than I would like, crisps up very nicely on the bottom. I also doctor them up a little before they hit the oven. I usually pick up either the "meat lovers" or the pepperoni then add sliced black olives and about 4 oz. of shredded Italian Blend cheese. Even with those additions the price is still very reasonable for a 16" pizza.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: unlockriver price longneck beer snowblower sex alcohol and electrolytes 2day fedex ecolab lights straight dope navy stewards ups unloading trucks septic pencil malta goya drink revolutionary catalonia prussia russia how english sounds to non english speakers how does d con rat poison work usps lost mailbox key best stop leak for radiator 925 nf ring value smith and barnes piano value mole removal liquid nitrogen my odometer doesnt work digital cable std hrc irc what does a black truffle taste like what is the song fancy about why is dope rated r