PDA

View Full Version : When Do Men Start Getting Hair on Their Chests

iturntoyou
05-25-2008, 03:50 PM
A new program aimed at teens (16-19) was started at my gym and I noticed how "groomed" the boys are.

I got to wondering at what age do boys start growing hair on their chest. I realize not every man has a hairy chest, but I was wondering as the trend now a days is to shave everything. These kids seem to have very little hair and what is there (eyebrows, underarms, legs) is definately trimmed.

But manscaping in teens is another thread LOL, I was just wondering about the hairy chest part, at what age? When I was a girl I don't recall seeing any boys in my high school with a hairy chest, so does it come later on after the teen years?

Qadgop the Mercotan
05-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Chest hair generally appears (if it is going to) during Tanner stage IV development. Average age for that is 13-15 years in males, but there's a lot of variability.

Omegaman
05-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Chest hair generally appears (if it is going to) during Tanner stage IV development. Average age for that is 13-15 years in males, but there's a lot of variability.

About right for me. Only a strip down the center and some around the nipples. It drives the women wild. :eek:

Omniscient
05-25-2008, 04:50 PM
I don't know if I'm a freak or not, but while this might be technically true in that I got my first whispers of hair around that age, I wouldn't say that I (or many people I'd notice at that age) had "chest hair" until closer to 18-20. On me it grew in slowly, not in a big surge like other things and wasn't noticeable from across a room until maybe 4 or 5 years after the first sign.

alphaboi867
05-25-2008, 04:57 PM

That's about when I started getting mine. By 18 I had back hair too. It's genetic.

Santo Rugger
05-25-2008, 05:04 PM
I don't know if I'm a freak or not, but while this might be technically true in that I got my first whispers of hair around that age, I wouldn't say that I (or many people I'd notice at that age) had "chest hair" until closer to 18-20. On me it grew in slowly, not in a big surge like other things and wasn't noticeable from across a room until maybe 4 or 5 years after the first sign.

This is pretty much my story. I'm 25 now and it seems like my chest hair has just stopped filling in. Then again, my facial hair didn't fill in completely until I was about 22 or 23 either, though.

Illuminatiprimus
05-25-2008, 07:35 PM
I got my first chest hair at 13 but it was literally one, the rest followed by the time I was about 16 IIRC.

Hokkaido Brit
05-25-2008, 07:45 PM
My husband is getting hairier over the years. When we first got together he was 29/30 and had a regular amount of chest hair but now at 46 there's a LOT more. And more leg hair, and his eyebrows and nose hair is starting to get out of control!

Why is that? My dad mourned the loss of his head hair and said it was all migrating to his chest, and that was in his 50's and 60's. Do most men go on getting hairier?

ivylass
05-25-2008, 07:48 PM
40+ year old Ivylad has a nice smooth hairless chest. Mmmmmm...

On an interesting side note, he can't grow a beard or moustache to save his soul. It just comes in scruffy and uneven and takes forever to grow. I suppose there's a correlation?

astro
05-25-2008, 08:13 PM

Yeah.. but there's a huge gap and appearance difference between "appear" and "filled in". I'd say most men don't get their full chest until sometime in their early to mid twenties. I had chest hair at 18, but was considerably more filled in by my early 20's.

For whatever reason it also seems to grow faster the older I get. I have to keep it trimmed down more often than I did when i was younger.

Kid_A
05-25-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm 25 and barely have any chest hair. I'm hoping things stay this way.

DudleyGarrett
05-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah.. but there's a huge gap and appearance difference between "appear" and "filled in". I'd say most men don't get their full chest until sometime in their early to mid twenties. I had chest hair at 18, but was considerably more filled in by my early 20's.

For whatever reason it also seems to grow faster the older I get. I have to keep it trimmed down more often than I did when i was younger.

My chest looks like I'm wearing a brown shag carpet. You trim yours? I always wanted to, but was afraid of the itchies.

Omegaman
05-25-2008, 08:29 PM
This is pretty much my story. I'm 25 now and it seems like my chest hair has just stopped filling in. Then again, my facial hair didn't fill in completely until I was about 22 or 23 either, though.

Damn! You're doing pretty good to have your kind of ride. At twenty five I had a 77 Lincoln towncar. You know, opera windows and rear wheel skirts. It was clean so I had delusions of grandeur. :D Got in a lot of trouble in that car. You need any thing you think I can help you with for yours you let me know.

astro
05-25-2008, 08:36 PM
My chest looks like I'm wearing a brown shag carpet. You trim yours? I always wanted to, but was afraid of the itchies.

If you go down to nothing it will itch. When it starts to get puffy and tickle my chin I use a clipper and mow it all down to about 1/2 an inch or so. You need to be careful and keep the clipper contoured to your body so you don't get bare spots. It doesn't itch at that length.

Critical Mass
05-25-2008, 09:03 PM
This is pretty much my story. I'm 25 now and it seems like my chest hair has just stopped filling in. Then again, my facial hair didn't fill in completely until I was about 22 or 23 either, though.Damn! You're doing pretty good to have your kind of ride. At twenty five I had a 77 Lincoln towncar. You know, opera windows and rear wheel skirts. It was clean so I had delusions of grandeur. :D Got in a lot of trouble in that car. You need any thing you think I can help you with for yours you let me know.I'm confused.

astro
05-25-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm confused.

What's confusing? Santo's plush chest gives a woman a ride as smooth as a 77 Lincoln.

chicken wire?
05-25-2008, 10:46 PM
I got to wondering at what age do boys start growing hair on their chest.

Here, drink this.

::Passes iturntoyou a large mug of sinister, steaming liquid::

That'll put hair on your chest! ;)

Green Cymbeline
05-26-2008, 03:17 AM
One boyfriend I started dating when he was 18, and he had no chest hair... we dated again 12 years later and by then his chest hair had grown in.

Another boyfriend I also started dating when he was 18, and he had a little bit of chest hair at first, but it didn't really begin filling in until he was 21-22-ish.

So in my experience, it doesn't start "filling in" until the early 20s.

Illuminatiprimus
05-26-2008, 06:49 AM
For those that wish to remove chest/back/shoulder hair and don't want it to itch I recommend hair removal cream (nair/veet). It's very quick, doesn't hurt and the hair grows back weaker each time you do it so if you're doing it regularly you don't have to do it so much anyway. I use it every three months or so, takes me about half an hour and a couple of showers. It doesn't itch when it comes back.

Khadaji
05-26-2008, 07:35 AM
I'm 46 and still waiting for mine...

LouisB
05-26-2008, 07:46 AM
40+ year old Ivylad has a nice smooth hairless chest. Mmmmmm...

On an interesting side note, he can't grow a beard or moustache to save his soul. It just comes in scruffy and uneven and takes forever to grow. I suppose there's a correlation?I'm older than that and I've never had a chest hair. Not a one.*
I couldn't grow a beard if I didn't shave for a year but I can and have grown very decent mustaches.

*My father and his brothers had no chest hair, either, but they all had heavy beards.

Caprese
05-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Another boyfriend I also started dating when he was 18, and he had a little bit of chest hair at first, but it didn't really begin filling in until he was 21-22-ish.

So in my experience, it doesn't start "filling in" until the early 20s.
This was how it was with my boyfriend back in the 70's. When we first began dating at 18, he didn't have much of anything, but as the years went by it filled in, and he was quite hairy by the time we broke up at age 24.

My 55 year old husband just has a few hairs here and there, but yes, he seems to be sporting more nose hair than I recall.

Our sons, almost 25 and almost 19 respectively, have very hairy legs, but less above the waist, if more than my almost bare-chested husband.
I remember their bodies grew from the ground up, too--first their huge feet, then the legs followed, and finally the rest of them. Guess it's the same thing with hair.

gytalf2000
05-26-2008, 10:08 AM
I had a fairly good amount of hair on my chest by the time I was fourteen (more so than most of the guys in gym class -- the only guy who was really significantly hairier had a "hormone problem" and had more hair on his back than most 40-50 year-old men have on their chests! But that is an entirely different story...).

I always liked being hairy, and I wish that I was hairier -- I just assumed that I would progess to "Robin Williams"-level hirsuteness as I aged, but I have not done so yet. My arms are nowhere near as hairy as I would like them to be. I do not have too much hair on my back, and I would not mind having more. The odd thing is, my legs, feet, and stomach are less hairy today than they were ten years ago. I wonder why?

I will never understand the current "shave all the body hair off" mentality!

Otto
05-26-2008, 10:42 AM
All of these posts about body hair and no pics? I am appalled.

And anyone who wants more body hair is free to harvest my back. I hate having back hair. I tried to laser it off a few years ago and there was no appreciable effect.

WormTheRed
05-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Ive been able to sport a beard since I was 16, which was pretty much the same time it started growing on the chest.

Now - I just want that back-hair to go away! Choo. Choo! Scram!

brujaja
05-26-2008, 01:29 PM
About right for me. Only a strip down the center and some around the nipples. It drives the women wild. :eek:
Woo-hoo! Yow!

alphaboi867
05-26-2008, 04:40 PM
For those that wish to remove chest/back/shoulder hair and don't want it to itch I recommend hair removal cream (nair/veet)...

Any suggestions one how to use Nair on one's back without assistance?

Illuminatiprimus
05-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Well depends on where it's located obviously, there are a couple of patches on my back but I can reach them by putting the cream on the back of my hands and rubbing it that way and looking in a mirror (otherwise co-opt a friend/SO/family member/pet - surely someone in your life wants you to be hair-free enough to help).

Sleel
05-27-2008, 01:37 AM
I didn't have more than a "happy trail", and some moderate forearm and lower leg hair in my teens. I started getting more body hair as I started putting on adult bulk in my mid-20s. I'm still getting hairier in my early 30s. My wife mentioned that I've got a bit more body hair now than a couple of years ago. At least I don't have back and shoulder fur, and I'm still far, far away from being as hairy as Mr. Scout Leader (http://associatedcontent.com/article/147137/best_ever_saturday_night_live_skits.html?cat=2) here.

Coil
05-27-2008, 05:15 AM
I've always been fairly smooth (just a few random hairs). Recently however I've noticed I've all of a sudden got more chest hair (not an extreme amount but definitely noticeable). I'm almost 35.

Malacandra
05-27-2008, 06:53 AM
All of these posts about body hair and no pics? I am appalled.

And anyone who wants more body hair is free to harvest my back. I hate having back hair. I tried to laser it off a few years ago and there was no appreciable effect.
Ah, that's 1920s-style hair removal.

plnnr
05-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Started at 12. By 16 I was pretty much covered. Very thick, black, and silky smooth. Unfortunately, as the hair on my head as started to go gray, so has my chest hair.

Really Not All That Bright
05-27-2008, 09:29 AM
What you said - although the chest never really filled in - it's a sort of artsy isoceles triangle with the base running from nipple to nipple.

WhyNot
05-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Any suggestions one how to use Nair on one's back without assistance?
Nair has an aerosol version now, with no rubbing required. It's not quite as potent as the wipe-on stuff, so it may take 2 applications instead of one to get through thick hair, but it's a lot easier to do on yourself in hard to reach spots.

Best Topics: cr123 vs 123 sunny godfather poboys restaurant jack brake logging value frozen hamburger buns while we cry telephone game phrases glyde condoms cvs doumo arigatou maru meaning bat'leth practicality slow crank appy message board comparable salary turning rotors russian prayer sleping gas tyromancer definition sideways cap jewish happy birthday peo international org cat licking nipple sun headache meaning of cherries song the israelites baseball golden sombrero floating carnivorous island isaac fig newton raquel welchnude darwinism fish reddit gunnerkrigg pressure treated wood prices home depot how to get into an r rated movie at 14 post office postage due lyrics to diarrhea song how much is a new wheel why is ben franklin on the 100 bill beta gamma sigma resume united states army address for resume how to jump off a building and die is jorja fox gay hare krishna vs hinduism does ethanol evaporate at room temperature tno scratch ticket code im a grown ass man what did jenny from forrest gump die from who have i blocked on facebook fold like a lawn chair how to pick a filing cabinet lock is delivering newspapers a good job best way to shrink a sweater how long does it take to recover from a sprained wrist west coast choppers logo space heater surge protector beastie boys new york best headphones for audio books where to write account number on check ice melt safe for concrete repair hairline crack in pvc pipe gold turd american dad comme ci, comme ?a guilty until proven innocent england smoke detectors keep going off randomly