PDA

View Full Version : "Sick 'em" Origin

SharkB8
07-06-2008, 10:07 PM
My boyfriend just said something non-amusing to me and I told my dog to "sick 'em."

Then I asked my boyfriend what the origin of the phrase was. I thought maybe it meant attack until you make so-and-so sick. Our best guess, then we decided to "dope" it.

Any ideas?

Indistinguishable
07-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Usually spelled "sic", it's a variant of "seek".

(Cite (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sic))

Q.E.D.
07-06-2008, 10:10 PM
It's "sic." According to Answers.com (http://answers.com/sic&r=67), it's a dialect variant of "seek."

astro
07-06-2008, 10:10 PM
My boyfriend just said something non-amusing to me and I told my dog to "sick 'em."

Then I asked my boyfriend what the origin of the phrase was. I thought maybe it meant attack until you make so-and-so sick. Our best guess, the we decided to "dope" it.

Any ideas?

I think it's "sic 'em" (http://thefreedictionary.com/sicced) not "sick-em"

Indistinguishable
07-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Good. Now let's all simulpost on the joke where we requote the OP with "[sic]" inserted.

SharkB8
07-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Outstanding...thanks guys!

Oslo Ostragoth
07-07-2008, 02:54 AM
When I was a lad, we had different dogs who knew the term well.

Say we were moving pigs from one place to another. If one proved uncooperative, a "Sic 'em!" would result in a torrent of all kinds of hell on the recalcitrant pig by the dog*. We would get them where we wanted.

A female collie, Candy, was the absolute best at adjusting porcine attitude. She could clear a five-foot fence with ease and sometimes herded the pigs just for her own enjoyment. Gotta love that.

*Actually, they were mostly "bitches", but why inject technicalities?

We also had a female beagle who would "sing" upon request. "ArooOOOOO".
What could be cooler?

twickster
07-07-2008, 08:24 AM
We also had a female beagle who would "sing" upon request. "ArooOOOOO".
What could be cooler?
A beagle that would STFU on request.

twicks, who wasn't all that sorry when the next-door neighbor's fat beagle with bladder-control issues died.

Elendil's Heir
07-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Good. Now let's all simulpost on the joke where we requote the OP with "[sic]" inserted.

All these simulposts make me sic.

KneadToKnow
07-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Obligatory Stand By Me reference.

Yllaria
07-07-2008, 12:20 PM
And then there's the t-shirt. (http://onehorseshy.com/highbrow/bad_grammar_makes_me_sic?p=onehorseshy.193771580)

Elendil's Heir
07-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Obligatory Stand By Me reference.

Remind me, please?

Whiteknight
07-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Remind me, please?
Chopper, sic balls.

Elendil's Heir
07-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Chopper, sic balls.

I'm still blanking. Sorry, it's been a long time.

KneadToKnow
07-07-2008, 03:30 PM
The junkyard scene. Rumor had it the junkyard owner had trained his dog to sic, I believe the phrase used is, "specific parts of a kids anatomy."
Milo: Chopper, sic 'em, Boy!
The Writer: Now he said, "Sic 'em, Boy", but what I heard was, "Chopper, sic balls!"
Gordie: [Chopper turns out to be a small golden retriever] *That's* Chopper?
Teddy: Ha ha ha! Come on, Choppy, bite my ass, Choppy. Bite my ass. Bite shit. Come on Choppy. Sic balls, Choppy.

SharkB8
07-07-2008, 04:09 PM

Chopper, Sic balls! (http://videosift.com/video/Chopper-Sic-balls-Steven-Kings-The-Body)

Poor Gordon. I guess the leach thought the junkyard keeper was talking to him.

unstrung
07-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Although "sic-em" is technically more correct, I really do enjoy thinking of it as "sick-em", since I tend to warn victims that my dog has rabies just before giving the attack order...

Oslo Ostragoth
07-08-2008, 01:10 AM
A beagle that would STFU on request.LOL, yep! Barky beagles are a real nightmare.

Best Topics: minoru yoshida amun her khepeshef snowflakes in hell recessive blood type outrunning the cops tyromancer definition nr movies el orfanato tomas meth binge ammonia for clothes pronounce ms fm antenna cable housemate or roommate scattergories answers sheet american art forms pitch hitter bitch sister no 1 pencil late night hbo quentin dean are waterbeds good anti vampire weapons simply sara connecticut accent mutant class butterscotch scotch ship stone aurelia pronunciation girls buddy skunk coat reddit gunfights are cigars addictive sue yourself referee score goal coyote pronunciation refrigerating coffee reset check engine light for inspection fat albert character with hat over face girl next door personality 9 to 5 hours what does commissioned mean in the military turret on a house afro pick in hair sprint nextel or pcs tim calhoun ted cruz where can i buy ddt powder where does the term zipperhead come from old snl episodes online free pies jesu domine dona eis requiem translation buying used car in nj who was the roman soldier that speared jesus advantix dog still has fleas cost of engraving at things remembered cheapest house building method difference between taffy and salt water taffy is it illegal to have two drivers licenses from different states aggravation board game with cards unavailable out of area phone calls gas tank rust repair private pilot oral exam questions and answers pdf k pax alternate ending epson printer in error state what to do with old lottery tickets how cold is too cold for a cat and now conway twitty is english spoken in germany european style license plate