PDA

View Full Version : How should I pronounce this name? "Alisa"

Philster
07-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Alisa

Is it ah-lee-sah....ah-lee-za...or ah-lis-sah.

:confused:

tdn
07-29-2008, 04:16 PM
I know someone by that name. She pronounces it uh-LEE-suh.

Kalhoun
07-29-2008, 04:24 PM
It looks misspelled to me, but I would still pronounce it the same way I'd pronounce Alyssa.

Ronald C. Semone
07-29-2008, 04:25 PM
I would pronounce it however the person who has the name wants you to pronounce it.

KneadToKnow
07-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Pronounce it "Lisa" and then when corrected, say you mis-read.

Airblairxxx
07-29-2008, 06:09 PM
That's my cousin's name. She pronounces it "uh-LEE-suh". Basically, "A" + "Lisa".

Freudian Slit
07-29-2008, 06:11 PM
I know someone who pronounces it the same way as mentioned above. Which is to Uh LEE sah.

Lucky 13
07-29-2008, 06:54 PM
I have a relative whose name is Alyssa. She pronounces it "ah-lis-sah".

Count Blucher
07-29-2008, 07:35 PM
My son has a friend in school who picks on/teases him who pronounces her name "ah-lis-sah".
(I don't have the heart to tell him he'll probably end up married to her...)

DooWahDiddy
07-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Yeah, another vote from someone who knows a girl with that name... she pronounces it like Lisa but with an A before it.

Beware of Doug
07-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Alisa is a Lisa.

Alissa (or Alyssa) is a Lissa (or Lyssa).

silenus
07-30-2008, 12:21 PM
I've encountered the name quite a bit, and every time the girl in question has pronounced it uh-lee-sa.

tdn
07-30-2008, 12:31 PM
It looks misspelled to me, but I would still pronounce it the same way I'd pronounce Alyssa.
But it's not the same name.

Hmm, the name Kristi looks misspelled to me. I'll just pronounce it Janet. ;)

Misnomer
07-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Just ask her, for goodness sake. :)

FWIW, we have "Alissa" and "Alisa" here at work and they both pronounce their names "uh-LISS-uh."

Giles
07-30-2008, 01:36 PM
One more possibility: the name could be Japanese, in which case the closest English pronunciation would be /a-ri-sa/.

Philster
07-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Maybe I should just ask her. :D

Seriously, the best thing would be to get her name correct right out of the gate -- First impressions, and all that jazz.

Of course asking her is an option. Jeesh, I though there'd be consensus as to the pronunciation of the name!

I love the name ah-liss-ah...or uh-liss-uh (guess it depends on your dialect), BUT it'd make more sense to me if it was actually ah-lee-sah...or uh-lee-suh.

RachelChristine
07-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Ah, one of the reasons I always dread the first week of school (I'm a teacher). How do you pronounce those names that could go 2 ways? My first instinct on this name is always like Alyssa (don't know why). Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong.

Philster
07-31-2008, 05:28 PM
And the correct pronunciation is................

........ah- LEE- sah......

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
07-31-2008, 09:06 PM
Call her Bob, & damn all consultations.

Argent Towers
07-31-2008, 09:09 PM
You should put your hand right on the side of her neck and then whisper it in her ear - like, right up next to her ear, practically touching it with your mouth. That always turns girls on. It's almost like their ears and necks are sexual zones or something. If you do it right, it doesn't even matter how you pronounce it.

phil417
08-01-2008, 04:59 AM
I agree with all of the above..ask them.."Hi, I'm ......and you're?..."

I'm 55. It's worked for me all my life.

Love, Phil

Best Topics: apfelkorn for sale bursted tongue q'orianka kilcher nude shoot heroin potato button walking canes cvs pronounce mozzarella jasper shepard toilets exploding roland tembo kitten crazies old school cigarettes satilite descramblers crawdads vs crawfish diet ayds lesbian beard equivalent coolest bible verses popeyes enemy lil amber kamel reds nfl copyright disclaimer jar of pimentos yakut 23andme ems checks columbia human remains florin country anduril vs narsil strip club prostitutes acromegaly actors sleepers hold hp printer not printing blue jap girls in synthesis astronaut ice cream bulk how much to fix bent rim how to wax your head bald is fire extinguisher powder harmful that's why we can't have nice things where can i buy dynamite more money than sense rocky eats raw eggs get rid of ammonia smell interior lights on while driving university of the people transfer trees on property line disputes wearing glasses for the first time what to expect best motor yacht for ocean crossing characters akinator can't guess my fellow americans hail to the chief have you seen my baseball something about mary sea lion urban dictionary room essentials bookcase extra shelves what animal sounds like a woman screaming m1 garand vs ar15 what does raza mean cost of custom orthotics car leaking oil fast what do hospitals do with amputated limbs how to pronounce nyugen mythbusters hot water heater khaki pants with black shirt were hall and oates gay sarah palin speech generator floating globe how it works