PDA

View Full Version : A Blazing Saddles question

Little Nemo
08-05-2008, 11:22 PM
In the first conversation between Hedley Lamarr and Boris the executioner, Boris says that he's currently working on "a doozy" and indicates the grey-bearded man in a wheelchair he's about to hang. Hedley says "Oh yes, the Doctor Gillespie killings."

Huh?

Telemark
08-05-2008, 11:26 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Kildare

Look for the reference under Satires.

Bosstone
08-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Dr. Killpatient! That makes so much more sense now! :smack:

Little Nemo
08-06-2008, 12:02 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Kildare

Look for the reference under Satires.Okay, so Dr Gillespie was a character on the Dr Kildare TV show and movies. How is that a punchline to a joke about a guy in a wheelchair getting hung?

Telemark
08-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Boris the hangman is about to hang a dignified-looking older gentleman in a wheelchair and Hedley Lamarr says: "Yes, the Dr. Gillespie killings."

The dignified-looking older gent is supposed to be Lionel Barrymore who played Dr. Gillespie in a series of films in the early to mid forties.
Mr. Barrymore was stricken with a very serious condition of arthritis which had him confined to a wheelchair. He was only supposed to live a year or so but that year lasted long enough to become several years' worth of books and movies that went on and on and on.
He continued acting in his wheelchair playing crotchety Dr. Gillespie, mentor of Dr. Kildare as played by Lew Ayres.
The films are:
Dr. Gillespie's New Assistant
Calling Dr. Gillespie
Dr. Gillespie's Criminal Case
So "The Dr. Gillespie Killings" is Mel Brooks' twisted take on what he considers should have been the last Dr. Gillepsie film.

http://phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/11/messages/717.html

The two links I posted were the first two hits from Google for "doctor gillespie killings".

Bryan Ekers
08-06-2008, 12:15 AM
I couldn't pothibly anther this quethtion before Monday!

Little Nemo
08-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Okay, now I get it. Thanks.

PharmBoy
08-07-2008, 08:34 AM
I have another question: How can anyone sit through this movie. It was on the other night and I tried (really I did) to watch it and like it, but I gave up after about 30 minutes. Aren't comedy movies supposed to be funny?

Dung Beetle
08-07-2008, 09:01 AM
You watched it on TV, so they edited out all the offensive words and sounds, and snipped out bits to make it shorter. Believe me, it's really funny until they do that. Damn them to hell!

Bosstone
08-07-2008, 10:00 AM
You watched it on TV, so they edited out all the offensive words and sounds, and snipped out bits to make it shorter. Believe me, it's really funny until they do that. Damn them to hell!It never ceases to amaze me that anyone tries to show Mel Brooks movies on TV. Half the jokes are vulgar or profanity-laden, and when you cut them out all you get is a mildly boring film. Or worst case, a confusing one, especially when they leave in the entire run-up to a joke and then chop the punchline.

Giles
08-07-2008, 10:08 AM
You watched it on TV, so they edited out all the offensive words and sounds, and snipped out bits to make it shorter. Believe me, it's really funny until they do that. Damn them to hell!
If they censor all the occurrences of the N word in Blazing Saddles, the movie would be incomprehensible: a central plot point is, as several characters say, "The sheriff is a n---."

Musicat
08-07-2008, 10:16 AM
I have another question: How can anyone sit through this movie. It was on the other night and I tried (really I did) to watch it and like it, but I gave up after about 30 minutes. Aren't comedy movies supposed to be funny?Obviously, you have a twisted sense of humor, but so do we all. Maybe yours is twisted in the opposite direction?

Skywatcher
08-07-2008, 10:25 AM
If they censor all the occurrences of the N word in Blazing Saddles, the movie would be incomprehensible: a central plot point is, as several characters say, "The sheriff is a n---."I believe the edit carried by ABC Family is just that. I know they censored "faggots".

USCDiver
08-07-2008, 10:28 AM
I believe the edit carried by ABC Family is just that. I know they censored "faggots".

At least they're leaving in the fart noises these days. Comedy Gold!

Dung Beetle
08-07-2008, 10:34 AM
It really pisses me off when the Waco Kid says, "Shot me in the…youknow." Lamest "fix" ever.

Hampshire
08-07-2008, 11:01 AM
I have another question: How can anyone sit through this movie. It was on the other night and I tried (really I did) to watch it and like it, but I gave up after about 30 minutes. Aren't comedy movies supposed to be funny?

You know what Pharmboy, I think it's people hanging on to their fond memories of it as a kid. When I saw Mel Brooks movies as a 12 year-old I thought they were the funniest, most brilliant, taboo movies I ever saw. Fart jokes, dirty words, sex jokes, etc. We would constanly quote them in grade school.
Watching them now I find them unfunny and wonder how adults ever found them to be funny. They almost seem like they were written for grade school boys.

Kind of like the Star Wars phenomena. People don't like to admit to themselves that Star Wars to an adult is actually a pretty crappy movie since they loved it to death when they were seven.

BMalion
08-07-2008, 11:19 AM
... "The sheriff is a n---."

What?

Bosstone
08-07-2008, 11:25 AM
What?He said the sheriff is near!

Asimovian
08-07-2008, 11:33 AM
You know what Pharmboy, I think it's people hanging on to their fond memories of it as a kid. When I saw Mel Brooks movies as a 12 year-old I thought they were the funniest, most brilliant, taboo movies I ever saw. Fart jokes, dirty words, sex jokes, etc. We would constanly quote them in grade school.
Watching them now I find them unfunny and wonder how adults ever found them to be funny. They almost seem like they were written for grade school boys.

Kind of like the Star Wars phenomena. People don't like to admit to themselves that Star Wars to an adult is actually a pretty crappy movie since they loved it to death when they were seven.I don't know that I can go along with this. This movie got much funnier to me as an adult than it was when I was younger. Not that Mel Brooks is known for subtle humor, but there were things I understood better as I got older. I think this movie is comic genius.

Granted, I don't find the campfire scene nearly as funny now as I used to when I was younger. On the other hand, there are few greater joys in adult life then having my wife randomly quip to me, "They said you was hung!" :D

What Exit?
08-07-2008, 11:36 AM

Kind of like the Star Wars phenomena. People don't like to admit to themselves that Star Wars to an adult is actually a pretty crappy movie since they loved it to death when they were seven.
Or some people have retained the ability to enjoy Mel Brooks movies. I still find Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Space Balls, History of the World and Get Smart quite funny. BS has held up pretty well when it is uncut.

What movies do you consider funny now as you are passing judgment on others?

Sigmagirl
08-07-2008, 11:41 AM
I believe the edit carried by ABC Family is just that. I know they censored "faggots".
AMC has been playing Blazing Saddles regularly. Why do they bother?

SCSimmons
08-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Art, and comedy especially, is hard to appreciate outside its cultural context. When Blazing Saddles was produced, it took motion picture comedy in a whole new direction ... Some of those themes were never explicitly acknowledged in the media, but Brooks grabbed them and whacked people in the crotch with them. Sometimes literally. :D

Jimmy 2Times
08-07-2008, 01:06 PM
I think I've only seen my dad laugh so hard and couldn't stop twice in my life.
Once was to the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles and the other was the dinner table scene in Nutty Professor.
So I have a fondness for Blazing Saddlessssssssss.
....sounds like steam escaping!

BMalion
08-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Art, and comedy especially, is hard to appreciate outside its cultural context. When Blazing Saddles was produced, it took motion picture comedy in a whole new direction ... Some of those themes were never explicitly acknowledged in the media, but Brooks grabbed them and whacked people in the crotch with them. Sometimes literally. :D

Ditto!

silenus
08-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Ditto!

""Ditto?" "Ditto," you provincial putz?"

Shodan
08-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Golly, you use your tongue prettier'n a twenty dollar whore.

Regards,
Shodan

mlees
08-07-2008, 01:16 PM
During the hanging scene, Boris the Hangman can be seen getting ready to hang an older gentleman in a wheelchair, which Hedley Lamarr refers to as "the Dr. Gillespie killings". This is a reference to Lionel Barrymore's character of Dr. Leonard Gillespie, which he played in fifteen different movies between 1938 and 1947. Lionel Barrymore was confined to a wheelchair due to arthritis, so the Dr. Gillespie character was always played from a wheelchair. This was Mel Brooks' way of finally killing off the Dr. Gillespie character.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0071230/trivia

Sigmagirl
08-07-2008, 01:19 PM
I think I've only seen my dad laugh so hard and couldn't stop twice in my life.
Once was to the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles and the other was the dinner table scene in Nutty Professor.
So I have a fondness for Blazing Saddlessssssssss.
....sounds like steam escaping!
That's funny. The hardest I ever saw my dad laugh was when Mongo punched out the horse.

Bosstone
08-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Mongo only pawn in game of life. :(

mlees
08-07-2008, 01:34 PM
bah. I should have read further into the thread. Sorry.

Dung Beetle
08-07-2008, 01:51 PM
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West.

You know... morons.

RiverRunner
08-07-2008, 02:05 PM
I didn't get a "Harumph!" outta that guy!

BMalion
08-07-2008, 02:32 PM
I didn't get a "Harumph!" outta that guy!

Give the governor a "Harumph!".

silenus
08-07-2008, 03:28 PM
"Harumph!"

Mister Rik
08-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Harumph!

This is exactly where I came in last time we had a Blazing Saddles thread

Bosstone
08-07-2008, 03:33 PM
"Harumph!"You watch your ass.

Magiver
08-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Oh come on, the split personality hostage scene by Cleavon Little was classic:

Bart: [speaking in a low voice] Hold it! Next man makes a move, the nigger gets it!
Olson Johnson: Hold it, men. He's not bluffing.
Dr. Sam Johnson: Listen to him, men, he's just crazy enough to do it!
Bart: [low voice] Drop it! Or I swear I'll blow this nigger's head all over this town!
Bart: [now speaking in a higher voice] Oh, lo'dy, lo'd, he's desp'it! Do what he saYYY y, do what he saYYY y...
[the Johnsons drop their guns. Bart jams the gun into his neck and drags himself through the crowd and towards the station]
Harriett Van Johnson: Isn't anybody going to help that poor man?
Dr. Sam Johnson: Hush, Harriet, that's a sure way to get him killed!
Bart: [higher voice] Oooh! He'p me, he'p me! Somebody he'p me! He'p me! He'p me! He'p me!
Bart: [lower voice] Shut up!
[Bart places his hand over his own mouth, drags himself through the door into his office]
Bart: Ooh, baby, you are so talented! And they are so DUMB

The movie s a continuous one-liner designed to catch you off guard:

Taggart: What do you want me to do, sir?
Hedley Lamarr: I want you to round up every vicious criminal and gunslinger in the west. Take this down.
[Taggart looks for a pen and paper while Hedley talks]
Hedley Lamarr: I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.
Taggart: [finding pen and paper] Could you repeat that, sir?

Skammer
08-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Where are all the white women at?

Love Rhombus
08-07-2008, 04:26 PM
I wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I am gonna die here, an no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter.

muldoonthief
08-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Now who can argue with that?

Magiver
08-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Golly, you use your tongue prettier'n a twenty dollar whore.

Regards,
Shodan Some lines were just made for Slim Pickens. Can't find the exact quote from "Electric Horseman" but it went something like this:

"I'm going to Reno to get me one of them hookers who can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch."

A classic Picken's line.

silenus
08-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Too bad it was said by Willie Nelson. :D

"I'm gonna get me a bottle of tequila and find me one of them Keno girls that can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch and just kinda kick back."

usar_jag
08-07-2008, 05:03 PM
I wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I am gonna die here, an no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter.I'm just thankful that the participants in this thread got to experience some authentic plains jibberish!

Asimovian
08-07-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm just thankful that the participants in this thread got to experience some authentic plains jibberish!That's FRONTIER jibberish, mister.

And now for my next impression: Jesse Owens!

Bobotheoptimist
08-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Yes. Young Frankenstein is the only one I can still stand to watch. I was 12 or so for History of the World and thought it was amazing, but by the time Space Balls rolled along I just didn't get it. Monty Python is still funny, Brooks just seems sad now. I never did understand Blazing Saddles tho.

Infidel! Heretic!

Enright3
08-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Mongo only pawn in game of life. :(

And for you jazz musicians out there; Scared Mexican Man: "Mongo! Santa Maria!"

USCDiver
08-07-2008, 09:22 PM
What'n the wide wide world of sports is'a goin' on here!?

Bryan Ekers
08-07-2008, 10:25 PM
What'n the wide wide world of sports is'a goin' on here!?

I dunno, but tell 'em I said OW!

USCDiver
08-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Tell them 'I said OW!" Got it!

gaffa
08-07-2008, 10:50 PM
The two best Mel Brooks films are "Young Frankenstein" and "Blazing Saddles", and in both cases he had strong co-writers - Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. Each brought something unique to the film, and (I believe) restrained Brooks' tendency to play the tummler. I love both, but I don't have to be the slightest bit embarrassed by my love of "Young Frankenstein".

It's a great movie, and did something only great satire can accomplish - revealing a deep truth about the original; why would a man need to create life? Because he wanted to be a mother. "This is a good boy! This is a mother's angel!"

Bill Door
08-07-2008, 11:01 PM
These are the kind of non sequiturs that can derail a thread. We've gotta protect our phoney-baloney jobs, gentlemen, we must do something about this immediately!

longhair75
08-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Sheriff Bart: "Are we awake?"
Waco Kid: "We're not sure. Are we....black?"
Sheriff Bart: "Yes, we are."
Waco Kid: "Then we're awake, but we're very puzzled."

gaffa
08-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Reverend Johnson: Order, order. Goddamnit, I said "order".
Howard Johnson: Y'know, Nietzsche says: "Out of chaos comes order."
Olson Johnson: Oh, blow it out your ass, Howard.

Little Nemo
08-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Gaffa Johnson's right.

Magiver
08-08-2008, 01:14 AM
Too bad it was said by Willie Nelson. :D

"I'm gonna get me a bottle of tequila and find me one of them Keno girls that can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch and just kinda kick back." Hey, I said it was meant for Pickens. Not my fault they cast the movie wrong ;) Note to self, don't eat the worm.

longhair75
08-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Little Nemo Johnson is right about Gaffa Johnson being right!

RiverRunner
08-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Yes. Young Frankenstein is the only one I can still stand to watch. I was 12 or so for History of the World and thought it was amazing, but by the time Space Balls rolled along I just didn't get it.

I thought Space Balls was sort of hit-and-miss. I did, however, roll off my chair at the Alien/Michigan J. Frog bit at the end. That just caught me completely by surprise.

RR

Skywatcher
08-08-2008, 10:30 AM
The two best Mel Brooks films are "Young Frankenstein" and "Blazing Saddles", and in both cases he had strong co-writers - Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor.Without Richard Pryor, we never would have had Mongo.

BMalion
08-08-2008, 10:39 AM
No, thank you. Fifteen is my limit on schnitzengruben

Death of Rats
08-08-2008, 10:42 AM
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons.

One other gag for you to expalin. What is the joke in the portait in Heddley's office of the bride and groom facing backwards?

Tristan
08-08-2008, 10:47 AM
No, thank you. Fifteen is my limit on schnitzengruben

I take you're not from Havana?

silenus
08-08-2008, 11:58 AM
A previous thread on the subject. (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=328356&highlight=blazing+saddles)

phil417
08-11-2008, 05:35 AM
It never ceases to amaze me that anyone tries to show Mel Brooks movies on TV. Half the jokes are vulgar or profanity-laden, and when you cut them out all you get is a mildly boring film. Or worst case, a confusing one, especially when they leave in the entire run-up to a joke and then chop the punchline.

Really? What about The Producers? Starring Zero Mostel & Gene Wilder, it was shot in 1968, when movies were much more censored. Nontheless, the movie is wonderfully funny. "Spring time for Hitler & Germany.."

Love, Phil

BMalion
08-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Really? What about The Producers? Starring Zero Mostel & Gene Wilder, it was shot in 1968, when movies were much more censored. Nontheless, the movie is wonderfully funny. "Spring time for Hitler & Germany.."

Love, Phil

"That's right, baby when you got it, FLAUNT IT! FLAUNT IT!"

Bosstone
08-11-2008, 08:55 AM

Love, PhilIt's also very much unlike Mel Brooks' more popular gag movies. Silent Movie and Young Frankenstein wouldn't need a lot of censoring either, but they don't get a whole lot of airtime. If it wasn't for the play and the new movie, The Producers wouldn't be around that much either.

I'm aware Mel Brooks did more than History of the World, Blazing Saddles, Spaceballs, and Robin Hood, but those are both the most often aired and the most censored, which is really counterproductive.

Wargamer
08-11-2008, 11:04 AM
We'll take the Chinks and the niggers, but we won't take the Irish!

Best Topics: robina chaffey bacon number hitler jaundice eyelids pussy cat origin van morrison genre male consort enron 10 k limburger cheese spread lossless png beetlejuice worm exhaust without muffler ginger tea menstruation sas shoe inserts spelled it wrong planet terra 38g cup fried food diarrhea toothache head wrap disney knockoffs groinkick stories its low noon magnets in microwaves frowned eyebrows abbreviation pages cactus hands didi mow carmax payment i love shaving fluorocarbons breathing edible thongs ld50 aspirin a2 teeth joseph a banks vs men's wearhouse phone went through washer double red blood cell donation recovery twa 800 passenger list how to leave the military early how do cement trucks work 3 times failed driving test how to get a bat out of my house why do hindu gods have multiple arms is lithium a solid liquid or gas who buys black walnut trees amplified vs non amplified hdtv antenna how long will a whole chicken last in the fridge parking lot pay box john belushi animal house guitar what time does fedex start delivering to homes what gun did the rifleman use newegg verified by visa difference between missile and torpedo megalodon vs blue whale difference between native american and indian stock pot vs dutch oven authors like michael connelly vera farmiga body double using unleaded gas in a leaded engine calories in pho broth is amazon tracking accurate the tyranny of evil men can you use a window air conditioner inside dying of thirst word firemountaingems.com beading_howtos rmv road test tips