PDA

View Full Version : Some Things I Don't Understand About Malcolm in the Middle

HeyHomie
11-30-2000, 07:38 AM
Obligatory Praise: this is one of the funniest three or four shows on TV!

Now, on to the questions....

1. Malcolm, Reese, and a handful of others refer to the kids in Malcolm's gifted class as Kreybournes (sp?). I think I speak for a lot of viewers when I say... WTF??????

2. What is the family's last name (or has it even been revealed?)?

3. What is the Mom's name?

4. Where do they live?

5. Their yard looks terrible! At first I thought it was a gag by the writers as a way of saying: Hey, these people are so low-class, look at how bad they keep their yard! Har har har! But then I thought, ya know, their house seems to be in a nice-enough neighborhood. Surely they aren't too poor to own a lawn mower. And what with neighborhood covenants and all, their neighbors would probably have sued them out of the neighborhood by now if they kept their yard like that. But then I thought, maybe they live in Southern California, where keeping a yard is pretty tricky, what with the lack or rain and tight water restrictions and all. But then I thought, whoa! You're taking this way too seriously. But now I'm rambling...... So what gives?

Thanks.

Zumba The Cat
11-30-2000, 08:01 AM
1. I think that the term is Krellbourns. I am not sure why. It does seem fitting though.

4. The yard I do know! First, not every neighborhood has a covenant. I have never lived in one that did. Maybe they aren't as common everywhere. Second, there was one show where they cut down the big tree in their front yard. The neighbors came over to complain and the family acted like monkeys until they left. I think that would explain alot.

wring
11-30-2000, 08:09 AM
Mom's name is Lois. I'm sure the last name has been mentioned, just can't think of it right off hand.

neutron star
11-30-2000, 08:12 AM
others refer to the kids in Malcolm's gifted class as Kreybournes (sp?).

I'm not positive, but I think it may refer to their teacher's last name.

2. What is the family's last name (or has it even been revealed?)?
3. What is the Mom's name?
4. Where do they live?

I know for sure that #2 and #4 have never been answered (said so in TV Guide, so I'm not just relying on my memory for that one). As for the Mom's name, it seems like it must have been mentioned a time or two, but I'll be damned if I can remember it, so I could be wrong.

Johnny L.A.
11-30-2000, 08:13 AM
At first I thought it was a gag by the writers as a way of saying: Hey, these people are so low-class, look at how bad they keep their yard! Har har har!
Yes, that's the joke.

neutron star
11-30-2000, 08:13 AM
Lois, yeah! That's it. Thanks wring.

AWB
11-30-2000, 08:17 AM
"Krelboyne," the name of the class of gifted students to which Malcolm belongs, is taken from the name of the nerdy hero of Little Shop of Horrors.

GaryM
11-30-2000, 08:19 AM
The gifted class's teachers name is Krell. So the students are disparagingly referred to as "Krellboys" and "Krellgirls" too I imagine.

I really enjoyed the story where they all went to the water park, leaving Dewey with the baby sitter, played by Bea Authur.

Alzarian
11-30-2000, 08:56 AM
Nitpicky, but it's kinda bothered me how the show is called Malcolm in the Middle when Malcolm is one of two kids in the "middle". Though I guess Reese in the middle doesn't sound as good.

Then it dawned on me...

The mother will have the obligatory pregnancy/baby storyline, thus cementing Malcolm firmly in the middle of 5 kids.

HeyHomie
11-30-2000, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Alzarian
Nitpicky, but it's kinda bothered me how the show is called Malcolm in the Middle when Malcolm is one of two kids in the "middle". Though I guess Reese in the middle doesn't sound as good.

Then it dawned on me...

The mother will have the obligatory pregnancy/baby storyline, thus cementing Malcolm firmly in the middle of 5 kids.

Malcolm is in the middle. Reese is the oldest, then Malcolm, then Dewey. What about Francis, you ask? Well, he's just kind-of out there as a device for subplots and only tangenitally interacts with the rest of the family. So Malcolm is in the middle of the three boys who are always at home.

HeyHomie
11-30-2000, 09:19 AM
...and I forgot to add:

Originally posted by AWB
"Krelboyne," the name of the class of gifted students to which Malcolm belongs, is taken from the name of the
nerdy hero of Little Shop of Horrors.

OK, that is such an obscure, Dennis Millerian reference that I don't think a dim bulb like Reese would ever pick up on it. Hell, I don't think students at a public junior high school would ever get it, either. I need to find the names of the writers of that show and compose a strongly-worded letter.... :D

gigi
11-30-2000, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Alzarian

Then it dawned on me...

This always bugged me too.

I think you're right about the baby thing. On Seventh Heaven, originally there were five kids and two parents = 7. Then when the Mom gets pregnant, it's with twins so that total kids = 7.

Yikes--can't wait to see pregnancy send Lois completely over the edge.

Lamia
11-30-2000, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by rastahomie

Malcolm is in the middle. Reese is the oldest, then Malcolm, then Dewey. What about Francis, you ask? Well, he's just kind-of out there as a device for subplots and only tangenitally interacts with the rest of the family. So Malcolm is in the middle of the three boys who are always at home.

Speaking of Francis, I think he deserves his own spin-off. I've only seen Malcolm in the Middle a few times, but each time I found the Francis subplots to be entertaining and enjoyable while I was left pretty cold by the rest of the show.

JosephFinn
11-30-2000, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Lamia

Speaking of Francis, I think he deserves his own spin-off. I've only seen Malcolm in the Middle a few times, but each time I found the Francis subplots to be entertaining and enjoyable while I was left pretty cold by the rest of the show.

Interestingly, the actor who plays Francis has an older brother, Daniel Masterson, who plays Hyde on "That 70's Show."

Personally, I'm ticked that Francis' buddy at the military academy is gone this year. He had one of the best visual jokes of last year in an episode where everybody was going on a survival weekend and bragging about how little stuff they were taking with them ("I'm taking two crackers, a compass and a knife!" "Dude, you're hardcore."). He trumps them all by walking in wearing a knife over his shoulder. And nothing else, except for full body camoflauge paint.

BobT
11-30-2000, 12:33 PM
I don't think the show will make the Lois character go through a pregnancy again, but I believe that the first season's episodes were shot when Jayne Kaczmarek, who plays Lois, was pregnant. If you've noticed this year, there are more long shots of her.

Unlike long shots of Jane Leeves on "Frazier".

G.B.H. Hornswoggler
11-30-2000, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by JosephFinn
Personally, I'm ticked that Francis' buddy at the military academy is gone this year.[/B]

Perhaps the producers actually think they "recast" that part, though (if that's true) it makes me wonder how stupid they think their viewers are. "Well, we'll get another young black guy, who looks completely different, and give him an utterly different, less interesting personality. They'll never notice."

The first couple of times I saw the new guy I thought he was just another character, but he's popped up enough now that it's clear that he's Francis's new roommate (or the functional equivalent in the plot, anyway). My wife and I theorized that the old roommate made Francis look bad in comparison (since F. was always getting saved by the roomie), and that the new, wimpy guy lets F. be the hero of his segments.

What was the old roommate's name, anyway? He was a great character. I'd watch a show about him and Francis, any day.

gigi
11-30-2000, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Lamia
each time I found the Francis subplots to be entertaining and enjoyable while I was left pretty cold by the rest of the show.

It's usually OK, not great, but the classic was beating up the clowns in slo-mo to the tune of "You Decorated My Life". Sit-com TV doesn't get much better than that :D

Melpomene
11-30-2000, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by gigi
Sit-com TV doesn't get much better than that :D

No, it doesn't. :)
I missed last night's episode where Reese acts like the little boy from The Shining. Was it any good? Anyone?

Atreyu
11-30-2000, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Melpomene

I missed last night's episode where Reese acts like the little boy from The Shining. Was it any good? Anyone?

I saw it, and personally thought it was hilarious. Then again, this is one of my favorite shows.

Come to think of it, it is the only sitcom I watch. My other favorite shows are dramas or PBS/History Channel related programming.

Anake
11-30-2000, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by neutron star
Lois, yeah! That's it. Thanks wring.

I remember the episode where the father and Lois go to a wedding and Lois hates her husband's family because they call her "the Lois-common denominator."

What's the husbands name? I forgot.

From,

11-30-2000, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Anake

What's the husbands name? I forgot.

Hal.

The gifted class's teachers name is Krell. So the students are disparagingly referred to as "Krellboys" and "Krellgirls" too I imagine.

The teacher's name is "Caroline." Your ears are slurring.

Skwerl
11-30-2000, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by JosephFinn
Personally, I'm ticked that Francis' buddy at the military academy is gone this year. [/B]

I was wondering if perhaps he died, because after the season premiere (or maybe before) they had "In Memory of [some name]." IMDB doesn't have that guy's name (the military buddy, can't think of his character name) in there anymore, it seems. Anyone know?

jwg
11-30-2000, 04:06 PM
Does anybody remember the old Leslie Nielson movie - I think it was "Forbidden Planet" - I don't remember the title - but the name of the super advanced incredibly intelligent (and long dead) people was the "Krell." Maybe this is the source of the name originally?

monster
11-30-2000, 05:14 PM
The guy Francis roomed with in the first season was Stanley, I believe. I'll hunt around for the actor's name.

monster
11-30-2000, 05:40 PM
Found Him (http://us.imdb.com/Name?Prince,+Karim)

manhattan
11-30-2000, 05:40 PM
Off to MPSIMS.

dropzone
11-30-2000, 08:21 PM
That's an Alec Baldwinian career move: quit a small part on Malcolm to be a bit player on Freaky Links for three weeks. Jeeze, did Fox give that show more air time in all of the commercials it ran for it than actual show it broadcast?

The Mermaid
12-01-2000, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by AWB
"Krelboyne," the name of the class of gifted students to which Malcolm belongs, is taken from the name of the
nerdy hero of Little Shop of Horrors.

OK, that is such an obscure, Dennis Millerian reference that I don't think a dim bulb like Reese would ever pick up on it. Hell, I don't think students at a public junior high school would ever get it, either. I need to find the names of the writers of that show and compose a strongly-worded letter.... :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Have you ever seen Little shop of Horrors?
There is not a more nerdy person alive than Seymour Krelborn.

Suddenly Seymour is standing beside you
He don't give you orders he don't condescend
Suddenly Seymour is there to provide you
with sweet understanding.
Seymour's your friend.

Guinastasia
12-01-2000, 09:47 PM
I liked the one where it was the first day they weren't grounded, and Lois was sick, so the boys played hooky from school. Only Francis got kicked out of military school so the boys tried to keep their mother from finding out, only Dewey hid the letter in Lois's pillow. So the boys loaded all of their parents' favorite stuff onto the roof in a little cart on wheels with an open can of red paint. And then launched it off the roof.
And Hal puked in the Ferarri he was test driving. Hee!

Enderw24
12-01-2000, 10:12 PM
Last summer, they were touting this show more than Jesus Christ himself.
"a breakthrough comedy," raved one random critic paid to hype every television show in existence
"I laughed, I cried, I shit myself" exclaimed Strom Thurmond

I kept thinking to myself, this show hasn't even hit the airwaves yet, you lying sommanabeaches! Audiences across the country are NOT raving for this show. I skipped the first episode in protest. Simpsons over? I've got half an hour to kill before x-files, I guess (hey, I've more than learned my lesson on those hammock shows NBC has on Thursday nights).

Finally, reluctantly, with absolutely nothing else to do, I sat down and watched one of the episodes last January. Holy crap! It was just about the funniest thing I'd ever seen on TV!

Yes, Virginia, some things can live up to their hype.

just now realizing there were four questions I didn't even remotely come close to answering.

xizor
12-01-2000, 10:28 PM
Does anybody else fear that Francis is going to go the way of Chuck from Happy Days? They either need to give him a spin off show or give his character better stories. Although eating 100 peeps is a funny concept, it is a 2 minute bit they stretched out through the whole show.

Eutychus
12-02-2000, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by xizor
Although eating 100 peeps is a funny concept, it is a 2 minute bit they stretched out through the whole show.

AND the "peeps" bit was done by the Comic Book store guy in last week's "Simpsons." I'm wondering now if someone at Fox just bought stock in the Peeops company.

Kamino Neko
12-02-2000, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Eutychus55
AND the "peeps" bit was done by the Comic Book store guy in last week's "Simpsons." I'm wondering now if someone at Fox just bought stock in the Peeops company.

Well, to be fair, it was a different joke, that just used bizarre amounts of Peeps as a prop.

'Ooooh, I wish real chicks went down so easy...'

Eutychus
12-02-2000, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Tengu
Well, to be fair, it was a different joke, that just used bizarre amounts of Peeps as a prop.

'Ooooh, I wish real chicks went down so easy...'

It's close enough for me. Right before he delivers that line, you hear him counting as he eats "98 ... 99 ... 100."

beakerxf
12-02-2000, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Skwerl
I was wondering if perhaps he died, because after the season premiere (or maybe before) they had "In Memory of [some name]." IMDB doesn't have that guy's name (the military buddy, can't think of his character name) in there anymore, it seems. Anyone know?

The guy who died had appeared in one episode as a military buddy (according to an AP story I read). I don know that it was a white guy who had been in the movie Kids and that his death was a suicide by hanging.

Hasn't Stanley been in one ep briefly this year? I recall one scene where Francis is asking Stanley questions while on the phone, and then Stanley says, "I have to get back to the pool game, it's my turn." It was a brief appearance, but one nonetheless.

Maybe he'll come back now that Freakly Links has gone bye-bye.

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
12-02-2000, 05:45 PM
Maybe they meant "Krell Boys" as in the Krell from "Forbidden Planet." I guess so far they haven't had any visiting "Monsters from the Id," though.

Gravity
01-19-2001, 05:46 AM
I know that this is an old thread, but I just happened to stumble onto a really great Malcolm in the Middle site:

http://lifeisunfair.net/

Oh, and the family's last name is Wilkerson :)

Badtz Maru
01-19-2001, 06:20 AM
Damnit, I was just about to post that their last name was Wilkerson! Not that I am a fan (I've only caught a few episodes), but I looked it up on imdb.com.

Kricket
01-19-2001, 01:36 PM
Did anyone else think that new girl in his class kicked ass? The way she took care of Resse was too funny!
And that is pretty cool that Francis is Hydes rl brother.

When my husband first watched the show he couldn't figure out why their house was such a mess. Well, honey, we have five kids and doesn't our house look like that most of the time? They are trying to make them seem more real than Roseann, which started out okay, but got real lame with the one-liners and half the cast being gay.
Great, she supported the life style, but almost everyone ended up gay. Not a bad thing, just laying it on a bit heavy.

And I think they explained somewhere that Malcom is in the middle of the three at home.

Has anyone caught who sings the theme song? At first I thought it was Weird Al, but now I'm not so sure.

Gunslinger
01-19-2001, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Kricket
Has anyone caught who sings the theme song? At first I thought it was Weird Al, but now I'm not so sure.

Nope. It's some new, unknown band, but I don't remember their name. They showed a music video of it after the season premeire, though.

Eve
01-19-2001, 02:11 PM
Has anyone seen the new show "Grounded for Life," speaking of family sitcoms? It ain't exactly Nöel Coward—or "The Simpsons," for that matter—but my expectations have sunk so low that I don't actually think it sucks. Worth giving a try to, anyway; good cast.

Necros
01-19-2001, 02:20 PM
Oh, yeah, Gunslinger, when I'm trying to think of words to describe {b]They Might Be Giants[/b], "new" and "unknown" are the first two that leap to mind. :rolleyes:

Joe_Cool
01-19-2001, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Gunslinger

Nope. It's some new, unknown band, but I don't remember their name. They showed a music video of it after the season premeire, though.

It's called "You're Not The Boss Of Me" and it's by They Might Be Giants.

Some new unknown band, indeed. BAH!

Gunslinger, you have forgotten the face of your father!

Joe_Cool
01-19-2001, 02:42 PM
Refresh the thread before posting to it...refresh the thread before posting to it.....

::walks away muttering to self::

bouv
01-19-2001, 02:47 PM

New! Unknown! No!
It's They Might Be Giants, who have been around in excess of TEN YEARS! They rule!

urlnotfound
01-19-2001, 02:59 PM
Another interesting Malcolm in the Middle/That 70s Show connection is that Francis is dating in real life Laura Prepon, the redheaded hottie on That 70s Show. She is also the cover girl of Maxim magazine this month.

mobo85
01-19-2001, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by bouv

New! Unknown! No!
It's They Might Be Giants, who have been around in excess of TEN YEARS! They rule!

The #1 most popular band with two members who both have the same name "John."

Kricket
01-19-2001, 03:55 PM
Thank you guys, I didn't mean to start a slam fest with that question.

And another hijack about Grounded for life. We watched it with our kids three of them close to teens (damn that's scary!) two of them girls, and my husband warned them that the way that girl was acting is not true life.
After the kids went to bed I told him that he had a real suprise comming! My sister and I put my parents through hell, and I am sure that our girls will too. They are already bickering over stupid little things.

And about that 70's show, my husband is under the opinion that the show is great, but could be so much better if all the young girls were Nekkid. Well, that's a man for ya'! ;)

Tzel
01-19-2001, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I agree. Grounded For Life does kind of not suck. But it's like Fox said, "Hey, Malcolm in the Middle worked, let's make another show just like it except instead of preteen boys, we'll use a teenage girl." The basic premise of both is to try to portray modern family life as realistically as possible while still being funny. They do fairly well, FWIW.

red_dragon60
01-19-2001, 07:09 PM
I always thought the name Reese called them was "crumoids" or "crumbums" or something. I dunno, I'm prolly waaaay off.

handy
01-19-2001, 07:22 PM
turn on the captions, that should tell you a lot about the show because the captions are right from the script.

It's mostly about a dyfunctional family like mine.. The show Titus is similar. People with highly functional families might not understand these shows but for me they are a gem.

Skwerl
01-19-2001, 09:52 PM
5. Their yard looks terrible! At first I thought it was a gag by the writers as a way of saying: Hey, these people are so low-class, look at how bad they keep their yard! Har har har! But then I thought, ya know, their house seems to be in a nice-enough neighborhood. Surely they aren't too poor to own a lawn mower. And what with neighborhood covenants and all, their neighbors would probably have sued them out of the neighborhood by now if they kept their yard like that. But then I thought, maybe they live in Southern California, where keeping a yard is pretty tricky, what with the lack or rain and tight water restrictions and all. But then I thought, whoa! You're taking this way too seriously. But now I'm rambling...... So what gives?

Thanks. [/B]

For some reason I remember in the first episode a little joke: as the kids were walking to school, you can see that in each of the neighboring houses' yards is a For Sale sign. Hehe! I love that show.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: acadia message board ted's cave horse cock length jimmy durante blobfish sexy grey hair 3000 trade in jet li matrix do fluffers exist sit vis vobiscum gloryhole locations plug in microwave siphoning gasoline smell toast pinstripe pants with solid jacket how many tylenol does it take to kill you names of car dealerships as near as i can tell figure on front of ship how to become a trashman convert rgb to hdmi personal touch razor refills dent in my leg heroes of middle earth how to get ammonia smell out of clothes