PDA

View Full Version : Double Salt licorice: Any fans of the stuff?

Qadgop the Mercotan
11-30-2008, 03:51 PM
I finally tried a drop last night. Double Zout.

A friend had brought it back from the Netherlands. My grandmother had always talked about the 'good' licorice she use to have as a kid back in the Oude Lande, that she missed so much. So I figured this must be it.

Now I'm okay with licorice. It's an acquired taste, and I've managed to acquire somewhat of a taste for it, over time.

I'm okay with salt, too. My blood pressure carefully regulated, I manage to ingest rather salty dishes, and enjoy such salt-based treats as soy sauce, vegemite, and, well, salt licks.

So I tried it.

Gosh, that was salty. Like in 'ocean wave up your nose and in your face' salty. Saltier than soy, saltier than vegemite. Heck, it was saltier than that heaping bowl of salt I'd once enjoyed as a treat.

I check out some info on the product: Contains Ammonium chloride salt. Hmmmm. For when sodium chloride just isn't salty enough.

I frankly didn't even notice much licorice flavor. Just a sort of ubersalt with undertones of something dark, and not dark like a nice dark chocolate, or even beef drippings, but dark like polder bottoms or cheeses gone horribly wrong.

Seeing my stunned response to that drop, my friend offered me a different licorice candy: One sweetened with honey.

I expected a more traditional licorice candy here. But no, it too was a Double Zout, only with honey added. <<shudder>> Extra sugar didn't help.

Here's an online review of Double Zout (http://bad-candy.com/old/bc2/doublezout/doublezout.html). I didn't think it was as bad as the reviewer said, but I really can't argue with him too much.

Sorry, Grandma Mercotan. I'd prefer to suck a pickled herring. Or a tablespoon of vegemite.

beowulff
11-30-2008, 03:53 PM
The most vile substance known to man.

Blecch to the Googleplex power.

Jackmannii
11-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Not sure I like the idea of super-salty licorice. This time of year, though, I like to indulge in small amounts of real licorice (the local Trader Joe's carries imported licorice from Australia - most of the stuff sold in the U.S. is ersatz and flavored with anise).
Maybe one advantage of the real salty kind is you don't eat much and are less likely to suffer negative health effects through licorice overindulgence (http://gerd.emedtv.com/licorice/is-licorice-safe-p2.html).I manage to ingest rather salty dishes, and enjoy such salt-based treats as soy sauce, vegemite, and, well, salt licks.If you run across salt licks when out in the woods, better keep a sharp eye out and make sure you're wearing bright orange clothing. :)

Zsofia
11-30-2008, 04:46 PM
The boyfriend likes it. I like salt, I like licorice, how bad can it be?.... I touched a disc with my tongue and my body said "NO!" I've never felt my entire being reject something in quite that manner before. My mouth told me in no uncertain terms that it was not responsible for the consequences if I put that thing in it, and it had unionized with my esophagus and stomach, at the very least.

auRa
11-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Mmmmmm. Salmiakki. I'm thinking it's probably somewhat of an acquired taste. I used to offer my Texas friends samples which I brought back from Finland with me; I think one or two asked for more. Most got a fairly weird look on their faces and tried to say something polite. :)

Ephemera
11-30-2008, 05:21 PM
I am asking for some for Christmas.

Juggler
11-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Interesting. I wonder if it's "better" than the swedish djungelvrål. (http://butik-hemlangtan.m.se/produkteng.asp?varaID=43&kategori=2)

Are you up for a review if I send you a package Qadgop?

Mister Owl
11-30-2008, 06:06 PM
It goes great with beer.

Yorikke
11-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Dubbel Zout is AWFUL, truly horrifying. However, I have had some Scandinavian salted licorice that was great - simply strong licorice with salt liberally applied to the surface only. Different from "drops."

Joe

Qadgop the Mercotan
11-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Interesting. I wonder if it's "better" than the swedish djungelvrål. (http://butik-hemlangtan.m.se/produkteng.asp?varaID=43&kategori=2)

Are you up for a review if I send you a package Qadgop?
Sure, I'm game.

Suburban Plankton
11-30-2008, 06:48 PM
A coworker had some of this a while back. He was passing it out to anyone who was brave (or was it stupid) enough to give it a try. After seeing the facial contortions on half a dozen other people, I had to give it a try for myself.

It wasn't the most disgusting thing I've tasted (that would be a full packet of Splenda), but it's definitely on my "did that, don't really need to do it again" list.

Qadgop the Mercotan
11-30-2008, 07:04 PM
I just tried it again a few moments ago.

It's starting to grow on me..........

Mr. Excellent
11-30-2008, 07:32 PM

No - no, Quadgop, not you too!

You fools, you're in danger! YOU'RE NEXT!

elelle
11-30-2008, 07:32 PM
I really love all of the licorice/anise flavors, since a kid; just love that sweet odd spice kinda tang. Love the salty tang playing off the intense sweet in Dutch licorice, too.

Qadgop, here's a nice licorice, the root, page by Steven Foster (http://stevenfoster.com/education/monograph/licorice.html), a reputable guy with plants, thought ya might want to know some of that history.

panamajack
11-30-2008, 07:41 PM
I was introduced to this by not knowing that 'zout' mean 'salt' and not, say, 'sweet' (it was the only packet in a German shop, and I'd previously had the same brand from an Indonesian place so I figured it'd be okay. Next time I'll learn Dutch.)

Once you get over the initial shock and get used to the ammonium chloride taste, it's not so bad if you suck on it slowly. Though the licorice flavor isn't all that strong.

I kind of wonder what the health effects of ammonium chloride are. Doesn't seem like it'd be bad for you in the same way as too much sodium, but I wonder.

Suburban Plankton
11-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I remember seeing aluminum chloride in the ingredients list and thinking "this isn't supposed to be in food, is it?"

Ammonium chloride is sold in blocks at hardware stores for use in cleaning the tip of a soldering iron and can also be included in solder as flux.

Other uses include a feed supplement for cattle, in hair shampoo, in textile printing, in the glue that bonds plywood, as an ingredient in nutritive media for yeast, in cleaning products, and as cough medicine. Its expectorant action is caused by irritative action on the bronchial mucosa. This causes the production of excess respiratory tract fluid which presumably is easier to cough up. It is also used in an oral acid loading test to diagnose distal renal tubular acidosis.

Ammonium chloride is used in snow treatment, namely on ski slopes at temperatures above 0 °C, to harden the snow and slow its melting.

mmmmmm....yummy!

Pyper
11-30-2008, 08:19 PM
I like black licorice, but double zout is probably the worst thing I've ever tasted in my life. Like chewing on a burnt tire that had been driving on a salt-encrusted road.

Olentzero
11-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Here's yer key phrase, kids:Its expectorant action is caused by irritative action on the bronchial mucosa. This causes the production of excess respiratory tract fluid which presumably is easier to cough up.Double Zout ain't candy... it's cough medicine. Much like I understand Jägermeister is supposed to be.

I'd heard about the Finns having a proclivity for the stuff, but not the Dutch. Me? I like salt licorice. 'S tasty.

fandango
11-30-2008, 08:39 PM

It will. I was in a long car ride with a guy when he offered me my first piece. I thought it would be my last, but then I had another, and another, and by the end of the ride I was asking where to buy the stuff.

The stuff he had had a 3 out of 3 of some saltiness rating scale on the package.

aruvqan
11-30-2008, 08:55 PM

So does athletes foot, and other fungus ... just because it grows on you doesnt mean it *should*

xanthous
11-30-2008, 10:37 PM
I prefer plain ol' regular Soft Diamonds (http://licoriceinternational.com/productcart/pc/Diamond-Licorice-Zout-2-2-lb-1-kg-38p132.htm), but Salty Fish (http://licoriceinternational.com/productcart/pc/Katjes-Salzige-Heringe-200g-7-oz-11p162.htm) are the pièce de résistance of licorice IMHO.

Jenaroph
11-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Blech.

Blecch blech blecch blecch blech. Blecch.

Pyper is dead on with the burnt tire comparison.

chique
11-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Interesting. I wonder if it's "better" than the swedish djungelvrål. (http://butik-hemlangtan.m.se/produkteng.asp?varaID=43&kategori=2)My uncle had me try some of that on turkey day. I wasn't hopeful as I don't like black licorice to begin with but thought that maybe the salt would cut the ick.

I was very, very wrong. That stuff is vile.

appleciders
11-30-2008, 10:45 PM

It's an acquired taste. Keep going, pretty soon you'll be ordering it from Europe just to get your fix, and cursing the first time you tried one of their heavenly salty outsides....

I love the stuff. Can't get enough, although Double Zout is a little stronger than I like. I'll eat it, sure, and enjoy it, but it's not my first choice.

Yookeroo
12-01-2008, 01:38 AM
This thread is making me hungry. Love me some Dubbel Zout.

WarmNPrickly
12-01-2008, 05:35 AM
Yeah, I remember seeing aluminum chloride in the ingredients list and thinking "this isn't supposed to be in food, is it?"

mmmmmm....yummy!

You are correct, aluminum chloride doesn't belong anywhere near food. The resulting HCl upon hitting anything with water has zero nutritional value. ;)

Ammonium chloride on the otherhand just sounds disgusting. Yet, I would be interested as to how it fairs as a "salt" substitute.

MrDibble
12-01-2008, 06:32 AM
I like it. I prefer the sweeter stuff, like kittens, coins and honeypots, but the DZ is fine by me.

CrowJane
12-01-2008, 11:19 AM
I prefer plain ol' regular Soft Diamonds (http://licoriceinternational.com/productcart/pc/Diamond-Licorice-Zout-2-2-lb-1-kg-38p132.htm), but Salty Fish (http://licoriceinternational.com/productcart/pc/Katjes-Salzige-Heringe-200g-7-oz-11p162.htm) are the pièce de résistance of licorice IMHO.

Salt Fish rule. I love all salt licorice - the saltier the better. Whenever my Danish relatives come to visit I get them to bring several bags; it's impossible to get here.

Qadgop the Mercotan
12-05-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm now up to a 2 piece a day habit...........

Tomorrow I'm trying a piece dipped in vegemite!

Olentzero
12-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Salt Fish rule.Seconded. When I was working in Turkey I went to Sweden to visit Anniz and a half-Swedish co-worker begged me to bring back Salt Fish for her. I bought 1.5 kg... but she ended up with only 1 kg. :o

Mama Zappa
12-05-2008, 10:45 PM
My attempt to try salted licorice was chronicled in this thread (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=433422&highlight=licorice).

I remember the feeling of *betrayal* as that licorice flavor was overwhelmed by that nasty, chemical taste. Not truly "salt" (as in sodium chloride) - I think table salt would be better!

Best Topics: jeep mailboxes sublime directory stories define cuntwaffle male nipple removal black cadillac movie bars legally electrochemistry textbook colder than no jake brake alexander sasha hood deflector purpose doozy origin hitler cartman stair flight hawaii south park dones back pills kirk cameron shirtless medium plus playboy party jokes fucking a meaning sunshine movie ending try hard gaming skeleton pun names wen power tools dvm md oak tag poster triangular knives diane songs wrestler street fight hair club boston dick move gymnastics polite chipmunks money talks and bullshit walks origin how many checks in a box deluxe what is nell short for growing coca in the us joining the airforce with a bachelor's degree what's the squiggly line called you're in my prayers how to keep ice fishing holes from freezing is russell from up asian which of the below animals is the least related to the others, evolutionarily? what organisms have dna where to find typewriter what does opposable mean car squeals when starting how to get key out of ignition with dead battery how to fast forward in vlc how to determine if something is a redox reaction what does bcbg clothing stand for half and half shelf life car salesmen are scum dan carlin recommended books who is constantine the angel what do you call a person who thinks they are always right cheese nips racial slur how old is roger in rent new england rock walls london broil george foreman grill how much does a crane weigh did pablo escobar blow up a plane how much do trashmen make david cross bible quote how long can a person be on a heart lung machine what does nip mean example of unjust law clamato juice and beer maple leaf vs weed leaf