PDA

View Full Version : Just had a catheter removed. Pissing fire!

Cubsfan
01-07-2009, 02:53 PM
I had a catheter today for a couple of tests. It was only in there for 10-15 minutes but it felt like 10-15 years. I just went pee and felt like I was pissing acid.

How long can I expect this to last? It hurts so f'n bad it's not even funny.

(Male by the way)

Phlosphr
01-07-2009, 03:06 PM
They didn't tell you :eek: - at least a year.

Just kidding it should subside soon, drink plenty of fluids is what my doc told me...

IANAD

dangermom
01-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Drinking a lot is good--concentrated urine hurts a lot more. Not being a male or a medical person, I can't comment on how long this will last, sorry.

sweeteviljesus
01-07-2009, 03:21 PM
I had to get a cath once in the ER. (In fact, I think the guy who administered it was some creepy dude who sneaked in and stole a pair of scrubs since the doctor said she didn't order the cath, but that is another story.) I was unable to piss for about twenty-four hours due to the pain. I called my dad who is a physician and he told me that if I couldn't do it, I would have to go back and get cathed again. Naturally, I forced myself to fight through the pain and when I finally did piss, I got the Holy Spirit, albeit temporarily. In any case, it didn't hurt much after that.

FWIW,
Rob who will never be cathed again without a formal declaration of war

running coach
01-07-2009, 03:24 PM
I had to get a cath once in the ER. (In fact, I think the guy who administered it was some creepy dude who sneaked in and stole a pair of scrubs since the doctor said she didn't order the cath, but that is another story.) I was unable to piss for about twenty-four hours due to the pain. I called my dad who is a physician and he told me that if I couldn't do it, I would have to go back and get cathed again. Naturally, I forced myself to fight through the pain and when I finally did piss, I got the Holy Spirit, albeit temporarily. In any case, it didn't hurt much after that.

FWIW,
Rob who will never be cathed again without a formal declaration of war

And that's when you got your username?

minor7flat5
01-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Don't they give you some pills for that?

When I was in the Navy, I had a urethral stricture widened, requiring a catheter for a day or two afterwards. When they removed it, I took the pills they gave me and felt no pain whatsoever when I peed.

Of course, they neglected to tell me that it turns the urine the color of Tang (bright orange). What a surprise that was!

CookingWithGas
01-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Once I had a bladderoscopy or whatever you call it. They put a camera in your bladder. And there's only one way in, boys. :eek:

The first time I peed after that it was excruciating. But after that, it wasn't nearly so bad.

I got a pill that was a massive antibiotic, but it wasn't for pain. BTW I'm glad the doc told me it would turn my urine red.

Dorjän
01-07-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm feeling faint just reading these responses...

kenobi 65
01-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Once I had a bladderoscopy or whatever you call it. They put a camera in your bladder. And there's only one way in, boys. :eek:

Well, there's another way in...but, through your kidney very likely would hurt even more. :D

unclelem
01-07-2009, 04:02 PM

It gets less painfull quickly. At least it should.

For me, the pain was merely annoying on the second day, and gone by the third.

Zsofia
01-07-2009, 04:09 PM
There's a urinary tract anasthetic that we girls use when we get UTIs - Uristat, or there are other brands. Assuming it's okay with your doctor, I think it would help. (It will stain your underwear day-glo orange, though.)

ETA - you'll find it next to the tampons and pregnancy tests in the drug store.

fortytwo
01-07-2009, 05:08 PM

The first time I peed after that it was excruciating. But after that, it wasn't nearly so bad.

I got a pill that was a massive antibiotic, but it wasn't for pain. BTW I'm glad the doc told me it would turn my urine red.

It's called a cystoscopy over here.

I have to have it done every 6 months and from my experience, it takes me about 12 hours to make taking a leak only mildly painful.

As far as I remember it took about the same time to recover after I had a catheter removed.

minor7flat5
01-07-2009, 05:20 PM
And just for the folks who have never had the joy that is a cystoscopy:

A cystoscope (http://endoscopy4you.com/assets/images/medit_cystoscope_450.jpg) :eek:

And yes, they do insert the whole length.

Cubsfan
01-07-2009, 05:24 PM

That's what I got today.

It hurt like hell and hurts worse after.

Peeing isn't as bad right now but still burns like hell

Cubsfan
01-07-2009, 05:54 PM
To be more specific I had the cystoscopy, which hurt, and then had a catheter for a urodynamics test.

Along with a probe up my ass. FUn time.

Horatio Hellpop
01-07-2009, 06:21 PM
The burning will last about two days. Every time you pee, the pain will be less. Bite the bullet and pee as often as you can.

A Haiku:
Philosophers say "If"
Is the unkindest of words
Wrong; it's "catheter."

Khadaji
01-07-2009, 06:38 PM
For me, if it had been in a long time it hurt to urinate the first few times after. But it goes away pretty quickly.

Rysdad
01-07-2009, 07:47 PM
I had a kidney stone removed from a ureter. I was asleep, of course. They left a stent in, though.

Anyway, they said I could leave the hospital as soon as I could urinate. Hey, no prob. But they didn't tell me what it was going to feel like.

White hot tungsten razor blade shards.

They could've at least mentioned that a low pressure approach was advisable. It took a few days before it felt like passing water instead of HCl.

But, that stent still had to come out, so I was back at the hospital in five days, and for that I wasn't asleep. In fact, I don't think I could've been more wide awake. (Side note: That lidocaine jelly she injected first doesn't do squat.)

Fire pissing redux for a couple more days.

Kidney stones are proof that God got a D-minus in his Anatomical Design 101 class.

rbroome
01-07-2009, 09:01 PM
I had a catheter today for a couple of tests. It was only in there for 10-15 minutes but it felt like 10-15 years. I just went pee and felt like I was pissing acid.

(Male by the way)

it ain't fun. :(
24 hours and it is only uncomfortable.
48 hours and it is a bad memory.
It is a long 24 hours though....

rbroome
01-07-2009, 09:04 PM

I had bladder cancer (caught early though. I went from cancer victim to cancer survivor in one afternoon and no chemo. I was lucky).

But it means my doctor takes a look around every six months. It is FAR better than the alternative, but no fun.

The Second Stone
01-08-2009, 12:40 AM
I had a foley catheter last month for my heart surgery. I never saw it, but it was wonderful not having to get out of bed in the ICU with tubes running out of my chest (never saw those either God bless morphine!) when I needed to pee. Taking it out was a bit uncomfortable, as was peeing for a few days after, but it went away before the constipation did.

si_blakely
01-08-2009, 01:50 AM
To be more specific I had the cystoscopy, which hurt, and then had a catheter for a urodynamics test.

Along with a probe up my ass. FUn time.I only had to a flow test - pee in flow measuring device. So I got up in the morning, and drank almost a liter of water. I get to the hospital two hours later, get shown the machine and told to pee. OK. I was full, but a bit nervous, and had some issues getting going, but did the deed. I went out to talk to the nurse, she looked at me and said "I'm really sorry, but the machine sensor failed. You'll have to do it again."
:(
So we did a bladder volume scan, some talking bits, and she sent me off for a blood test. I was waiting there about 20 minutes, and the rest of the water I had drunk was moving through. I finally saw the phlebotomist, and I offered my left arm, the one everyone uses. She picked the worst vein, missed as it moved, tried again, and pulled the needle out (and watched as the vein started bleeding).
:smack:
By now, I am basically crossing my legs. I need to get back to the urology dept. The phlebotomist sticks my right arm, gets the vein, fills the tube, and I can go. I quick-marched back to urology, told the receptionist to find the nurse stat because I couldn't wait, got to the flow machine, and peed for England. My water came out clearer than it went in. I had so much urine, my kidneys ached (along with my stuck arms).
:dubious:
Anyhow, all done now, and I have to wait for the consultant to review my notes, to see if I need further ... investigations, probably all of the above mentioned procedures.
:eek:

Si

Jman
01-08-2009, 04:52 AM

A cystoscope (http://endoscopy4you.com/assets/images/medit_cystoscope_450.jpg) :eek:

Dear lord...I think I just died a little.

control-z
01-08-2009, 01:16 PM
I just pray that before I ever have to go in the hospital they'll have perfected some non-invasive catheter.

MsRobyn
01-08-2009, 01:52 PM
I just pray that before I ever have to go in the hospital they'll have perfected some non-invasive catheter.

They've got 'em (http://urinedevice.com/whychoose_geewhiz.htm).

Robin

control-z
01-08-2009, 01:53 PM
They've got 'em (http://urinedevice.com/whychoose_geewhiz.htm).

Cool, I remember hearing about those. Didn't help the OP much though!

Cervaise
01-08-2009, 02:02 PM
It hurts a lot more if, while you're lying in the ICU, you discover the catheter hose, and decide, in your opiate haze, that you don't really want it, and try to yank it out.

Trust me.

Cluricaun
01-08-2009, 02:28 PM
When I was in the Navy, I had a urethral stricture widened

Wait, the Navy widened your pee hole?

minor7flat5
01-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Wait, the Navy widened your pee hole?Why yes—twice. Don't they do that for everybody?

It was all because of a urethral stricture, or a narrow point, that I had apparently been born with.

The first time the doctor used the cystoscope to check things out and then used a set of dilators to widen the tight spot. The dilators were a series of flexible rods in increasing sizes, the largest seemed to be the thickness of a pencil.

A year later, the stricture was back, so a surgeon went in with a device that looked like the cystoscope, but had a little tiny blade in the end that was used to nick the stricture to open it up. Had a spinal for that one.

Peed like a fire hose after both events. The second time was the charm and all is good twenty years later :).

Cluricaun
01-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Facinating. So Hank Hill was lying the whole time.

Ludovic
01-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Why yes—twice. Don't they do that for everybody?
I hear it's not always the peehole...

aruvqan
01-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Don't they give you some pills for that?

When I was in the Navy, I had a urethral stricture widened, requiring a catheter for a day or two afterwards. When they removed it, I took the pills they gave me and felt no pain whatsoever when I peed.

Of course, they neglected to tell me that it turns the urine the color of Tang (bright orange). What a surprise that was!

I had that done repeatedly when i was very young [hm, before kindergarden so call it 4 years old ... ] over the course of at least a winter, spring and summer before they decided to do some sort of operation. I never had any sort of meds ... and I can clearly remember the pain and literally holding it in until i peed myself because of the pain ... I would have loved some sort of pain med ...

we wont get into what i consider the absolute value of medical child abuse .. suffice it to say that between that, and a spinal tap if I got my hands on a time machine, there would be 2 supervising physicians that would have seriously shortened lifespans.

CookingWithGas
01-08-2009, 07:32 PM

And yes, they do insert the whole length.Hang on a second. That is not what they used on me. The full apparatus includes a long black flexible tube (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cystoscope-med-20050425.jpg)with fiber optic bundles plus a water hose. After they look around your empty bladder, they fill it with water for some reason and look some more. But it was most assuredly not a long rigid metal tube as in the photo. That would never work. In men you have to take a sharp right turn at Albuquerque to get to the bladder.

chorpler
01-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I had that done repeatedly when i was very young [hm, before kindergarden so call it 4 years old ... ] over the course of at least a winter, spring and summer before they decided to do some sort of operation. I never had any sort of meds ... and I can clearly remember the pain and literally holding it in until i peed myself because of the pain ... I would have loved some sort of pain med ...

we wont get into what i consider the absolute value of medical child abuse .. suffice it to say that between that, and a spinal tap if I got my hands on a time machine, there would be 2 supervising physicians that would have seriously shortened lifespans.

Ah, yes, the lovely "It doesn't matter if kids and babies feel pain during a medical procedure" philosophy. I've never understood it and it really pisses me off.

I was once essentially brought out of a coma by the pain of a catheter insertion. Fun stuff!

To the OP: Go buy some Uristat, or some Cystex. They're both available at the supermarket in the same place as the tampons and whatnot, because they're marketed for urinary tract infections, but the last time I had a catheter in (checking for bladder problems), I got some Uristat and it did an excellent job of numbing my urethra and fixing the "My urine has been replaced with flaming gasoline" syndrome (although it does turn your urine bright orange, or dark red (nearly black) if you take two, and it stains clothes and underware and the like, so beware). I've heard that Cystex works too, but I have yet to try it.

Moirai
01-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Jesus Christ... :eek:

The only times I've had catheters is when I delivered my babies, and they took them out while I was still numb. The way boys hate wiener pain, though- well, I can't even imagine it...

OtakuLoki
01-08-2009, 09:19 PM

Do they give you a blindfold with that? :eek:

whiterabbit
01-08-2009, 09:42 PM
I had back surgery when I was nine, and while I was out when they put that catheter in, I remember when the otherwise nice nurse took it out. Yowch! And I'm a girl, so it's a much shorter pathway, but still. Owie.

It was really really weird not having to pee for days.

Best Topics: coffee couple cyka cyrillic psychonauts waterloo figments klingon home world dutch nickname exclamation phrases prepubescent orgasm ass crease smarties nestle usa canoe weight limits plastic toilets nellybelle roy rogers purchase chloroform faux scallops sook meaning neighbor of senegal what is braunschweiger patel translation edible styrofoam f2 hybridization mythbusters monty hall coal tar dandruff refrigerate batteries sports vs games ma/ms most remade movie public buttcrack injured crows what is ridx printing gold ink nigger breeding vs jewelry civilization iv tips wax dissolver la bamba in english hiding a criminal is called to much cum to swallow clavicle fracture figure 8 brace what does 13.1 stand for hearing going in and out shannen doherty crooked face how to make egg wash for frying is it illegal to open someone else's package my cat has scabs under her chin cremation weight of ashes what are bowling shoes pirate names for dogs french fries in a pan julia louis dreyfus nip hungry after chinese food jinx owe me a coke black and decker sonic pest repeller can i put my straight talk sim card in another phone plungers for contact lenses why use cold water for coffee do you capitalize mental disorders fastest muscle in the human body kool aid sugar free what ear is gay sweat shop free shoes how to clean brita water pitcher can i take 100mg of benadryl happy endings san antonio what does rolly pollies eat if you stare long enough into the abyss how to raise gpa after graduation i went to the animal fair song difference between flan and custard