PDA

View Full Version : What's The Youngest You've Seen Male Baldness

Markxxx
01-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Inspried by the "Is Prince Charles Going Bald Thread," I knew a guy and he started losing his hair around 19 and by 21 he was pretty much bald. Both his father and older brother were bald early too.

I was just wondering what is the earliest you've seen male pattern baldness in someone. Obviously I am discounting things like diseases or cancer treatment, I mean "the natural" male pattern baldness type of thing.

(Actually I just thought that this doesn't really ask a general question, I'll ask the mod to move it, my apologies)

Jman
01-22-2009, 10:21 PM
I don't win this one overall here, but I'm the youngest I've known go bald. I started thinning pretty seriously at around 24, and by the time I was 27 I had practically nothing left on top. Such is life.

Moirai
01-22-2009, 10:22 PM
High school, actually. My brother really started to go bald while he was in the army, so for him it was his 20's. Heh- after all that head-shavin', he couldn't wait to grow his hair long again. Only problem was, a bunch of his hair apparently didn't get discharged along with him! :eek:

missred
01-22-2009, 10:28 PM
In my dad's senior picture in high school, he's pretty thin on top. By the time I was born (he was 25), the hair on top was a distant memory.

A couple of brothers I knew in HS were bald when they graduated.

Cisco
01-22-2009, 10:29 PM
My best friend started very noticeably receding at about 14 or 15. It got worse and worse throughout his teens and then pretty much held. By 16 he was making a Big Deal about it and looking into things like propecia, rogaine, transplants, etc. Now at 28, his hairline is waaaaaaay back, but doesn't seem to be moving anymore. His dad is the same way.

samclem
01-22-2009, 10:30 PM
(Actually I just thought that this doesn't really ask a general question, I'll ask the mod to move it, my apologies)

Moved to our polling station---In My Humble Opinion.

samclem Moderator, General Questions

Kimstu
01-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Yup, I had a high school classmate who developed a noticeable bald spot by the time he was seventeen or so.

Freudian Slit
01-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Didn't Phil Spector start losing his hair in his very early twenties?

KneadToKnow
01-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Another early twenties here. Not me, but a friend in college. He was a year or two ahead of me, so he'd have been 21 or so. The bald spot hadn't arrived yet, but the reservation had been made and the table was set.

kunilou
01-22-2009, 10:42 PM
A high school classmate of mine was both receeding and thinning by the time we got to senior year. The day after winter break he walked in wearing a toupee.

Teenagers can be so cruel.

Rufus Xavier
01-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Yep, I went to high school with a balding guy. Actually, he looked like he was in his mid-twenties when he was still 16. Once he was standing outside a liquor store when a couple of college freshman came up to him and asked him to buy beer for them. When he explained that he was younger than they were, they got upset, telling him he should have just said no if he didn't want to buy them beer, instead of making up some outrageous lie about being just 16.

drm
01-22-2009, 11:16 PM
My brother's friend was very noticeably thinning at around 19.

I know there was a high school friend of mine who was going bald in 10th or 11th grade but I'll be darned if I can remember who it was.

appleciders
01-22-2009, 11:31 PM
I knew a couple of guys whose hairlines were receding noticeably by their senior years of high school. One of them is noticeably thin on top now at 21; can't speak to the other because I haven't seen him in a few years. Another friend is now balding perceptibly at 21.

Myself, I've been watching my hairline carefully- I either have one hell of a widow's peak or it's sneaking backwards (I'm 21.) It may just be the widow's peak, though, since it hasn't moved perceptibly since high school. Dad has a severally receded hairline that seems to be done receding but thick, not-gray hair at 51, my maternal uncle has a full head of hair at 44ish, and my maternal grandfather looks like a cue ball and has since his forties.

joyfool
01-22-2009, 11:36 PM
I used to have a very close friend that I played softball with who was somewhat noticably heading that direction by tenth (15?) grade. Another guy I graduated with had the same problem before high school's end, but I didn't pay attention to when it began.

Miss Woodhouse
01-22-2009, 11:40 PM
My husband's hair started receding at about 18 and set in to serious loss over the next three years. By the time I met him when he was 23, he had a large bald spot in back that was almost completely connected to his receding hair in the front.

And I married him anyway. ;)

Hazle Weatherfield
01-22-2009, 11:41 PM
I knew a couple of guys in high school that had noticably thinning hair at 16 or 17.

matt_mcl
01-23-2009, 03:44 AM
My brother's hair is pronouncedly thinning, and he's 25.

CAT=^..^=
01-23-2009, 04:57 AM
There was a guy in my High School who was very bald by age 17 or 18. He had no hair on top, and just a bit around the sides. He wore a hat about 99% of the time. I was shocked the first time I saw him without his hat.
I felt really bad for him. He was quite a jerk actually, but I suppose he was acting that way to compensate.
My last boss also went bald very young. He was just out of H.S. when he started thinning, and he was about 75% bald by the end of college.

Cicero
01-23-2009, 05:07 AM
Friend of mine started balding at 16.

GuanoLad
01-23-2009, 05:46 AM
I had a classmate, Adam, who didn't appear to be going bald when I saw him at 15, but his Dad was completely Bozo-the-Clown bald. The next time I saw Adam was about two years later, and he was halfway to his Dad's level of bald. Presumably two years after that, all gone, but I haven't seen him since so I can't confirm.

I started losing my hair at about 27, and now, at 39, though it's still reasonably plentiful in the dorky locations, it's definitely receding faster and faster.

Nava
01-23-2009, 05:48 AM
By 17, Dad had some serious "entryways." It's clearly already starting in his 15yo pics. He liked to say his brow had continued growing after the rest of him stopped: the barber had to shave the back of his neck and about one inch down.

Harmonious Discord
01-23-2009, 07:14 AM
I had a roommate that lost his top hair by his 19th birthday.

Marley23
01-23-2009, 07:54 AM
I knew two guys who were losing their hair when they entered college, at 18.

Pithy Moniker
01-23-2009, 08:04 AM
My brother and my dad both had really long foreheads before they reached 19. I was luckier made it to my mid to late 20s before I started getting thin up top.

bouv
01-23-2009, 10:49 AM
I went to high school with a couple of twins. They were seniors when I was a freshman, and were both bald by graduation. I know they shaved their heads rather than have what little hair they had left, but you could tell from where it did grow in that they had, at best, a tiny hemispherical strip at about ear level and nothing else.

Zsofia
01-23-2009, 11:13 AM
My dad's hair was pretty much gone by 19 or 20. I believe Patrick Stewart had the same thing.

pbbth
01-23-2009, 11:18 AM
My boyfriend was grey by 17 and balding by 18. Now he just shaves his head entirely and he looks damn good that way.

ralph124c
01-23-2009, 11:18 AM
My wife's nephew-a really good-looking kid (he looked like a young Brad Pitt). By age 20, he was showing a bald spot. By 23, he has lost most of it.

dangermom
01-23-2009, 11:24 AM
I knew a guy in high school whose forehead just got higher and higher. By the time he was 18, he was pretty dang bald.

Jayn_Newell
01-23-2009, 11:29 AM
18. A guy I knew in college was already seriously thinning.

Sarahfeena
01-23-2009, 11:29 AM
I remember that in his junior year of college, my brother ran across the ID from his freshman year. He compared the pictures on the two IDs and went :eek:.

He's 40 now, and pretty darn bald (sorry, bro!), but I don't remember how fast or slow the process went for him. It definitely started around 19 or 20, though.

He was one of those babies that didn't have any hair until he was about 2, as well. Poor guy only had about 15 decent years of hair. It was pretty while it lasted...blonde and wavy.

Elvis Chimney
01-23-2009, 11:35 AM
I started losing my hair at about 15. By 17/18 it was getting really noticeable. Pretty soon it was looking fairly ridiculous, particularly since for some unknown reason I persisted in keeping it long - I looked like a tragic middle-aged rocker at the age of 20. A hit with the ladies I most definitely wasn't.

Fortunately I started shaving it not long afterwards (the only solution IMHO).

Swallowed My Cellphone
01-23-2009, 12:05 PM
I knew a guy in highschool whose hairline was receding so fast you'd think it was afraid of his eyebrows. Seriously, it was like he was losing an inch a year (ETA: though my memory may be exagerating). He had this Bruce Willis (http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/54/039_15135~Bruce-Willis-Posters.jpg) hairline by 16.

ETA: He was also really tall, so there were rumors he was narc like on 21 Jumpstreet, and just pretending to be a teenager.

PotLuck
01-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Yup, I had a high school classmate who developed a noticeable bald spot by the time he was seventeen or so.Ditto, and his baby face coupled with his Friar Tuck hairline made him look like a 6'2" middle-aged toddler. He was a great example of a good personality winning out over movie-star good looks; his charm, smarts and sense of humour ensured he was never short of good friends or romantic attention.

Ro Carter
01-23-2009, 04:38 PM
There was a guy I knew in high school who's hair line started to recede right around freshman year (roughly 13 years old, I think). By senior year, his hair line was about even with the front edges of his ears. I haven't seen him since, so I have no idea if he is completely bald now, or if the hair has stabilized.

rocking chair
01-23-2009, 07:39 PM
16ish, i believe.

Cicero
01-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Just means you have a lot of face to wash.

wunderkammer
01-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Two of my classmates were balding on top (bad enough that they started buzzing their hair off completely) by the time they were 18. One is diabetic--maybe that had something to do with it.

devilsknew
01-23-2009, 08:20 PM
I knew two guys- best friends, both about 23. One had typical male pattern baldness far advanced to the point of Yinkle, and the other was graying. I guess that's cheating though, because he just had natural salt and pepper black hair since youth, streaks of white and grey against black.

Mudshark
01-25-2009, 05:09 AM
Isn't baldness on the X chromosome you get from your mother?

Anyway I've always had a high hairline. Even when I was 8 years old if I had short hair I looked like I was balding up front. As I got older I became tired of people asking if I was balding, so I let my hair grow longer. Now about going grey? I've been getting grey hairs since I was 16. Luclily my hair is naturally light brown and they are hard to see, or it's dyed and you can't tell.

CutterJohn
01-25-2009, 11:55 AM
I had a buddy in the Navy that was doing a good Cpt Picard impersonation at 25, AND was missing all his teeth from some weird gum disease.

I also knew a kid in high school that was able to grow a decent goatee at 13, and a full beard at 15. He bought the beer.

levdrakon
01-25-2009, 12:30 PM
My best friend in high school had a hairy chest and beard by the time we became friends around 16. Who knows when he sprouted though, probably at least a couple years earlier.

I always felt bad for my guy friends who started losing their hair in their early twenties. I always thought it made them look more masculine, and in general, they looked just fine. But you can't tell a guy in his twenties he looks good with less hair. They never believe you, even if it's true. I myself, was hyper paranoid I'd lose my hair so I know how they felt. I wish I owned stock in Rogaine; young guys who even suspect their hair is thinning gobble that stuff up.

Luckily, I never did lose my hair. At least not yet. Everyone in my family has a slightly high, receded hairline though. Guys and girls. Not enough to look like it's receding, just sort of high, if that makes sense. The middle foerhead has hair, but the - I dunno - temples I guess, recede.

Best Topics: can teller talk baby carrots slimy reuseable syringe big leg woman wwii flash whale on him john pinette imdb reverse polarity magnets lps collars ebay topless cancun translate arigato horehound taste assholes and elbows lara antipova susan spungen nancy expert marksman hippos enemies chimpanzee human sex first nature definition 8 guage shotgun building pier salami on pizza newark airport identifier buying chloroform boner while cuddling galadriel scary thong messageboard stefnie duck [email protected] attila vs genghis whoopie hat high humidity in cold weather blue merle rat terrier jay leno comedians in cars getting coffee why do ducks quack at night can you minor in engineering what does blu ray dvd combo mean first time you saw a penis skywalker ranch fire dept automotive computer memory saver two fingers behind head meaning brushing teeth with bleach meaning of toss your salad my name's paul and this is between y'all how to unseal a letter how are animal and fungal cells similar and different how do check cashing stores verify checks comcast sent me a new modem kitchen remodel project order how to recarbonate soda sanding a floor by hand what is the difference between jos a bank suits joan of arc civ 3 new glasses adjustment period astigmatism where to buy eyeglass screws skin peeling on heels of feet fun size candy bars smaller lg window air conditioner drain plug bag of weed song family guy kent state message board white gravy vs brown gravy where to place ez pass paul vigil number trick white stuff on mouse coca seeds for sale usa treadmill belt repair tape