PDA

View Full Version : Fuck UPS.

Waffle Decider
02-09-2009, 08:55 PM
UPS. Fuck you.

I was expecting a package today. I've decided to work from home today to wait for the package, because if no one is home, the package will be delivered to the condo office, which is located in a different building and is only open from 10 - 6, which is kind of a pain in the ass for me.

So I waited for them all day. 7 PM came around, and there was no package yet, even though the tracking webpage said the package had been "out for delivery" since 4 AM.

I checked the website again around 7:30. This time, it said, "Delivered". What the fuck?! I was home all the time! According to the site, someone in the condo office signed for it at 7:16. But they're closed at 6! I walked over and checked the office, just in case someone was working late there, and yup, it was closed. Either someone in the office worked late and left between 7:16 and around 7:35, or UPS was making something up here.

And hey, dickhead UPS driver, fucking check that no one is home before you fucking deliver to the condo office, m'kay? I can kind of understand if you skip that during daytime because most people are out at work; but come on, after 7? Don't you think there's a good chance that people may be home by then? Fuck you.

Atomicflea
02-09-2009, 09:05 PM
I used to think that UPS would use common sense when delivering packages, but no longer. Now I write a novella in the comments section of any order giving explicit instructions about what to do with the package.

zweisamkeit
02-10-2009, 06:50 AM
I used to think that UPS would use common sense when delivering packages, but no longer. Now I write a novella in the comments section of any order giving explicit instructions about what to do with the package.

Why bother going to the trouble? They won't actually read those instructions. They'll drive up, glance to see if you are staring at them RIGHT THAT SECOND. If you're not, oh golly, "attempted delivery" (or delivery to the office). Heck, they don't even need to get out of their truck that way. So much more efficient.

Sapo
02-10-2009, 08:26 AM
I used to think that UPS would use common sense when delivering packages...

Will you be here all week? Should I try the fish?

I had a UPS store, I could fill the whole thread with stories about UPS half-assedly making attempted deliveries. They could call them alleged deliveries instead.

Duke
02-10-2009, 08:32 AM
I love the title. A friend of mine used to depend on package deliveries for his side business and hated when customers used UPS. He used to call them "the fuck-UPS."

Atomicflea
02-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Will you be here all week? Should I try the fish?
I lived in another country damn it! I had to learn by doing!:mad:

spinky
02-10-2009, 12:47 PM
They'll drive up, glance to see if you are staring at them RIGHT THAT SECOND. If you're not, oh golly, "attempted delivery" (or delivery to the office).That's weird; they don't do this to me. For me, they stand at the bottom of the flight of stairs that leads up to my porch and throw the packages onto the porch. They don't check to see if I'm home.

Sapo
02-10-2009, 01:10 PM
I lived in another country damn it! I had to learn by doing!:mad:
Sorry to hear.

Actually, UPS service varies a lot by location and by driver. You would think a company this big would somehow try to have a more uniform customer experience, but here we are.

Contrary
02-10-2009, 01:14 PM
I ordered a shirt two weeks ago. Anticipated delivery was February 5. No package that day (I know, shocking). I check the web site. No update, still shows my shirt is in Shrewsbury MA (I live in Boston). So I'm hopeful since at least it's in the same state.

Friday their tracking site shows it as being in Suisun City, California. WTF? Saturday it shows it departed from San Pablo, CA. Granted I'm not all that familiar with California towns but CA sure as hell isn't BOSTON MA.

That status hasn't changed since Saturday. I've emailed the retailer asking them to get my shirt to me. We'll see what happens.

ivan astikov
02-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Bog standard UPS delivery. (http://yourdailymedia.com/media/1187345213/UPS_Delivery)

I think you have to pay more to get your parcel placed down gently.

Athena
02-10-2009, 05:02 PM
I hate to be a party pooper, but I get UPS deliveries probably twice a week on average, and I can't remember the last time they screwed up. The only thing that bums me out is that I used to be first on the delivery schedule, but they've made a change and now I'm closer to last, so I get my stuff at 4 or 5 instead of before 10am.

FoieGrasIsEvil
02-10-2009, 05:09 PM
I hate it when they leave packages, often containing expensive items, just sitting on your front porch when you aren't home to receive the delivery.

I'd actually much rather have to drive somewhere to pick an expensive package up than have someone waltz onto my property and swipe it because it's just sitting there.

kaylasdad99
02-10-2009, 07:16 PM
I'd love to have people send me expensive packages.

control-z
02-11-2009, 02:02 PM
UPS is just about flawless for me. The fuckups are DHL and Airborne.

LVgeogeek
02-11-2009, 04:18 PM
We have had a few problems with UPS in the past, not so much now.

We generally have the same delivery driver all the time and delivery problems started occurring after my husband had ordered some surplus ammunition for a few vintage rifles... anyway, I guess the driver had hauled these very heavy boxes off the truck, drug them up to the door only to find that we were not home (they needed signature confirmation). He ended up having to go pick it up at the sorting facility downtown. After that we had nothing but problems.

The most flagrant BS from UPS occurred a few weeks later when I had ordered some things on Amazon.com that I needed ASAP, so I paid to have them priority shipped. I was home and was expecting the package (UPS website said 'out for delivery') so I waited and waited. Saw the UPS truck come up the street, turn around in front of my house and leave.

I checked the website again and it said delivery attempted, recipient not home. I was livid. I called UPS to complain and asked them to dispatch the driver back to my house- they said they couldn't (I suspect, wouldn't) I would have to wait until Monday.

I didn't manage to get my stuff until Monday- but I did get my shipping (almost $30) reimbursed by Amazon- even though it was UPS's fault.

The post office basically did the same thing when I was waiting for the delivery of my husbands wedding band. (It had tracking so I knew it was on it's way) The mail man never bothered to drive up to the house, just left the "come pick it up" slip in the mail box in the front of the neighborhood. I gave the USPS a ration of shit for that too. (It was non-gated townhouse neighborhood with all the cluster mail boxes up at the entrance of the neighborhood)

LurkMeister
02-11-2009, 04:25 PM
I've noticed that at my new place just about all packages are left on my front porch without any attempt to let me know they're there. USPS, UPS, and FedEx all do this; the only exception that I can recall was one FedEx package which I was told when I ordered it required a signature. Recently this has included two very large boxes which were very clearly visible from the street.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: heaver definition torpedo vs missile define roshambo heart plug dune nitris tank giovanni pronunciation trilobites extinct howie scream origin smell like metal superpowers after wwii slang kike bare drive hex key allen key difference ham ok for dogs if i was gay arm sore after tetanus shot what kind of beer is corona can you put a ziplock bag in the microwave best over the counter athletes foot treatment pi kappa alpha secrets where is good eats filmed usaa auto insurance dividend hood air deflector worth it double-pane windows contain nitrogen rather than air to prevent