PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft General Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

Quasimodem
08-09-2009, 07:43 PM
"You can then pick different pieces to look at side-by-side. It's got a lot of options, which can seem a little confusing at first, but if it looks like something you'd be interested in, I'd be happy to throw together a little how-to with screenshots."

Found it again!

I didn't miss it or forget it the first time, but this is the first time I have had a chance to get back to your sweet offer, SFG!

But only when you have time, okay, and THANK YOU! :)

Quasi

Electronic Chaos
08-09-2009, 09:12 PM
ETA: One thing I just noticed the other day in Camp Taurajo. I was inside the inn there and wandered upstairs ... the buildings there, including the inn, are clearly tauren architecture, and I found it odd that the beds in the inn aren't nearly large enough for a tauren.

You made the ridiculous assumption that the beds are for the Taurens, when in fact they're for weary travelers. It is a well known fact that cows sleep standing up.

Broomstick
08-09-2009, 10:08 PM
The beds are big enough for Taurens... it's the hammocks that are too small.

Actually, my cow girls usually just lie down on a rug or fur or whatever, being in-tune-with-nature Druids, Shamans, and Hunters.

Mister Rik
08-09-2009, 11:38 PM
You made the ridiculous assumption that the beds are for the Taurens, when in fact they're for weary travelers. It is a well known fact that cows sleep standing up.

:D

Gary Robson
08-10-2009, 01:10 AM
You made the ridiculous assumption that the beds are for the Taurens, when in fact they're for weary travelers. It is a well known fact that cows sleep standing up.Want to try some tauren-tipping? You can start with my death knight ;)

Darkhold
08-10-2009, 01:34 AM
It would trash the economy almost as effectively as removing Soulbound since no one would have any reason to buy any gear, not to mention there would be even less reason than there is now to properly run low level instances.Really? Is that why wool is so cheap everywhere because people can farm it? The economy is 99% people who can't be bothered to do it themselves already. Looking at what stacks of even copper goes for on the AH makes my brain bleed sometimes. There's millions of items that are easy to get but people just pay for it anyway.

Why do you care so much that people run low level instances anyway? I don't see how it effects your enjoyment of the game.
Problem? Sure, but useful BoEs are relatively rare and if everything was account bound it would happen on every single boss kill.I still don't see the problem. I get to kill a boss once get something useful for an alt and don't have to kill him again and again and again and again so I just happen to have the correct character kill him with the correct dice roll to get what I need?

Also to the person about the greens :p my ally characters needed them darnit. My low lvl enchanter needed fuel as well.

Mogle
08-10-2009, 03:42 AM
Really? Is that why wool is so cheap everywhere because people can farm it? The economy is 99% people who can't be bothered to do it themselves already. Looking at what stacks of even copper goes for on the AH makes my brain bleed sometimes. There's millions of items that are easy to get but people just pay for it anyway.

One stack of wool is the same as any other stack of wool and it is destroyed when you use it.
The gear the drops in instances is better than anything you can expect to find on the ah, so there would be no reason to buy anything from the ah.

Why do you care so much that people run low level instances anyway? I don't see how it effects your enjoyment of the game.

Because some people might actually enjoy running instances? Problem is that so few people bother that finding a group is almost impossible.

I still don't see the problem. I get to kill a boss once get something useful for an alt and don't have to kill him again and again and again and again so I just happen to have the correct character kill him with the correct dice roll to get what I need?
So, you would be fine with me joining Naxx on my druid tank and then roll on all the set tokens, The Turning Tide for my warlock, Envoy of Mortality for my hunter and Betrayer of Humanity for my paladin?

Ferret Herder
08-10-2009, 05:31 AM
Wool isn't cheap. :p At least not for Horde in most places, it seems.

Not having many soulbound items (there were some BOP, but those were mostly quest items) screwed royally with the economy in EverQuest. Jewelcrafting was a fun and interesting tradeskill for a while, and then people started selling off their old jewelry that they'd outleveled for less than the materials cost - you had to buy the metal bars off NPC vendors, IIRC - and most tradesmen couldn't compete. A few high-end jewelcrafters could get work but that was about it.

Blizzard fine-tuned the system to keep the economy and the game itself running, and I suspect you can find other systems out there too if you look around. I think this system works better than others I've seen, typically.

aruvqan
08-10-2009, 05:34 AM
Really? Is that why wool is so cheap everywhere because people can farm it? The economy is 99% people who can't be bothered to do it themselves already. Looking at what stacks of even copper goes for on the AH makes my brain bleed sometimes. There's millions of items that are easy to get but people just pay for it anyway.

Also to the person about the greens :p my ally characters needed them darnit. My low lvl enchanter needed fuel as well.

Love to farm BFD, Stockades, DM .... the cloth sells like hotcakes because I sell it for silvers. I am high enough as an enchanter now that I sell the low end dusts fairly cheaply also. I made enough in the past 3 days to get my DK flying mount and training [i just hit 62 last night] though I had to make the trip to HH to get the flight training.

aruvqan
08-10-2009, 05:40 AM
Wool isn't cheap. :p At least not for Horde in most places, it seems.

Not having many soulbound items (there were some BOP, but those were mostly quest items) screwed royally with the economy in EverQuest. Jewelcrafting was a fun and interesting tradeskill for a while, and then people started selling off their old jewelry that they'd outleveled for less than the materials cost - you had to buy the metal bars off NPC vendors, IIRC - and most tradesmen couldn't compete. A few high-end jewelcrafters could get work but that was about it.

Blizzard fine-tuned the system to keep the economy and the game itself running, and I suspect you can find other systems out there too if you look around. I think this system works better than others I've seen, typically.

I was rich enough in EQ that what I did was experiment to make new crafted items ... like Velium Inlaid Cestus (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=26822) [and sumbit the screenshots to alla's for fun] becuse I had started playing way back at the beginning ... and crafting was interesting as you could work without a recipe and see what you could come up with. There was quite a culture of people who did experimental tradecrafting. [I also had a raid character that did nothing but raid for 6 hours a day, 5 to 6 days a week. I was also customer service and spent about 6 hours a day in game on Winterskiss the Cookiemaker as a gm.]

I had no life *sob*

Quasimodem
08-10-2009, 07:59 AM
I had no life *sob*

Yeah you do!!:)

Your life consists of helping poor, mentally challenged pissants like ME!

When you ain't busy levelin' your own self, that is!

Thanks!

Quasi/Bill/Wolkie/Silka:)

ArrMatey!
08-10-2009, 08:06 AM
On a whim, I'm trying a druid again. Didn't like 'em much when I started playing (a few months pre-BC), but somehow I'm finding the Tauren version better than the Nelfs now. Dunno if it's due to massive class-changes in the in-between time or what. So, having achieved his first animal form, Wootbear is now much more self-name-appropriate. :)

Mogle
08-10-2009, 08:44 AM
On a whim, I'm trying a druid again. Didn't like 'em much when I started playing (a few months pre-BC), but somehow I'm finding the Tauren version better than the Nelfs now. Dunno if it's due to massive class-changes in the in-between time or what. So, having achieved his first animal form, Wootbear is now much more self-name-appropriate. :)
Present day druids and Vanilla druids are like night and day, these days the developers actually want the balance and feral trees to be fully functional!
And the new models are pretty too :D

Raza
08-10-2009, 08:56 AM
I (79 hunter) had my first attempt at Wintergrasp last night, and...it was a BLAST! I am definitely not a PVPer, but wanted to earn some Honor Points for buying better equipment. It was quite chaotic, but a lot of fun, and I picked up...I lost track, maybe 4 or 5 achievements and about 6000 Honor Points (and our side won, giving me 3 Wintergrasp Marks of Honor). It'll definitely be on my daily rotation now.

Question: during the chaos I noticed a message in the chat box that I had (through my actions) been promoted to Lieutenant. After the battles were over and victory was achieved, the "buff icon" at the top said was just a Recruit and needed a few more kills to become a Corporal. Does my/everyone's rank get reset each battle?

Bosstone
08-10-2009, 09:47 AM
On a whim, I'm trying a druid again. Didn't like 'em much when I started playing (a few months pre-BC), but somehow I'm finding the Tauren version better than the Nelfs now. Dunno if it's due to massive class-changes in the in-between time or what. So, having achieved his first animal form, Wootbear is now much more self-name-appropriate. :)I gave Druids the stinkeye for quite some time. For some reason they just didn't appeal to me when I read about them online. Finally I gave one a shot, and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying him. It's like a nature-based Paladin with a bit more complexity than a normal Paladin. He's only up to 18, so I haven't yet gotten to play with the Cat Form, but I'm already enjoying the hell out of him.

Skammer
08-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Question: during the chaos I noticed a message in the chat box that I had (through my actions) been promoted to Lieutenant. After the battles were over and victory was achieved, the "buff icon" at the top said was just a Recruit and needed a few more kills to become a Corporal. Does my/everyone's rank get reset each battle? I only do WG casually, but I do know that you start over at the bottom rank each level.

I really do like standing in the middle of a big WG battle and throwing heals around like candy.

Jas09
08-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Question: during the chaos I noticed a message in the chat box that I had (through my actions) been promoted to Lieutenant. After the battles were over and victory was achieved, the "buff icon" at the top said was just a Recruit and needed a few more kills to become a Corporal. Does my/everyone's rank get reset each battle?Yes, the rank is reset for each battle. Getting a higher rank is what allows you to create the different vehicles at the siege workshops. A high number of vehicles (and controlling the siege workshops to create them) is basically a prerequisite for a successful attack. For defense, well, I've very rarely successfully defended - I think the key is to attack the towers to the south, this knocks a lot of time off the clock.

Redwing
08-10-2009, 09:56 AM
I really do like standing in the middle of a big WG battle and throwing heals around like candy.

Heh heh heh heh. I love doing this. It's especially fun as a pally healer to follow some rogue around and make his health see-saw. Dropping a HoJ on some ally who thinks he's got a shot is amusing as well, especially when they leave the rogue to focus on me :D. Hmmm. I wonder if I could get a giant chicken or two to stand on top of me in WG...beacon one and heal the other or myself as needed. Could be entertaining.

jayjay
08-10-2009, 10:12 AM
I gave Druids the stinkeye for quite some time. For some reason they just didn't appeal to me when I read about them online. Finally I gave one a shot, and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying him. It's like a nature-based Paladin with a bit more complexity than a normal Paladin. He's only up to 18, so I haven't yet gotten to play with the Cat Form, but I'm already enjoying the hell out of him.

It gets even better once you get Cat Form. It's much more fun to level as pseudorogue than as pseudowarrior. Plus Prowl FTW!

Shot From Guns
08-10-2009, 11:06 AM
The only things I tend to skip over are those abbreviations y'all use which boggle this demented mind, and when I don't understand something I should, but don't 'cause sometimes folks don't realize I'm a bit "challenged

Anytime you run across something here or in-game that's confusing, don't be afraid to ask! There's a lot of WoW-jargon and bits of information that people pick up and take for granted when they've been playing for a long time. I'm happy to describe anything and everything in as excruciating a level of detail as you'd like. :D

"Looks like picked the wrong week to stop sniffin' glue!" - Lloyd Bridges in Airplane. [snip] Y'all can't see what I have in my bank/regular bags, can you?

1.) Airplane is an awesome movie.
2.) No one can see the contents of your bank or bags but you. If your guild has a shared bank, that can be seen by anyone in your guild who has the appropriate access.

I also wish I could mail [Heirloom items] to my alts on other servers

If you really want to transfer an item between servers, it's possible--by transferring a character and having the item in that character's inventory (bags, bank, or equipped). So, if it's worth $25 and either leveling a mule to 10 or transferring an existing alt, you can do it.

But all those people have got me wondering ... what are they all doing?

Dalaran is my hearth, so it's not usual for me to be just sitting there when I'm online to talk to someone, waiting for a raid to start, etc. If someone is LFG, they're probably also hanging out in Dal.

Still, getting buckets two days in a row is kinda cool.

Grats! I need to go back and start doing the Shatt fishing daily again when it's the Crocolisk one--I still have exactly zero of those pets.

Question: Tonight aruvqan taught me to how to uncheck the graphic so I don't have to look at Wolkie in his helmet with the upside-down horns, but how do my enemies see him, or anyone else I may meet, for that matter?

When you hide your helm or cloak, what you see is what everyone else sees. So if your helm is hidden, everyone sees your smiling face (or your scowling one, if that's the face you chose :D).

I didn't miss it or forget it the first time, but this is the first time I have had a chance to get back to your sweet offer, SFG!

You're very welcome! I'll try to remember to get to this when I'm home tonight (can't do it from work, silly filter).

Does my/everyone's rank get reset each battle?

WG ranks are a measure of your participation in a given WG battle and are used to unlock better kinds of siege vehicles, so they're reset after every WG. They are not the same as the PvP ranks WoW used to have.

aruvqan
08-10-2009, 12:00 PM

Thanks!

:D

Shot From Guns
08-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Side note: aruvqan, I keep saying your name in my head like "Archavon" (as in "Vault of"). :smack:

Darkhold
08-10-2009, 12:35 PM
One stack of wool is the same as any other stack of wool and it is destroyed when you use it.
The gear the drops in instances is better than anything you can expect to find on the ah, so there would be no reason to buy anything from the ah. I honestly don't get where you're coming from. You just admitted wool and sundries would be bought at the AH. If you're saying crafted items would go for cheaper they usually go for less then their material cost already I don't think making Bind on Pickup items Bind to Account would really change the economy that much. Really how many people buy crafted items from the AH anyway (aside from bags)?Because some people might actually enjoy running instances? Problem is that so few people bother that finding a group is almost impossible.I think at this point the only people running low levels are people that enjoy it (such as you) and people that have just gotten the game. Are there really people out there (aside from the occasional guy making a twink) that is running these low level instances for gear anymore? So, you would be fine with me joining Naxx on my druid tank and then roll on all the set tokens, The Turning Tide for my warlock, Envoy of Mortality for my hunter and Betrayer of Humanity for my paladin?If your group agrees to it sure. If not then you're a jerk. Same as any other non-bind on pickup item.

Shot From Guns
08-10-2009, 12:50 PM
If you're saying crafted items would go for cheaper they usually go for less then their material cost already I don't think making Bind on Pickup items Bind to Account would really change the economy that much.

Do you have any level 80 characters? There is a huge market for BOE, crafted epics for people who are starting raiding.

Getting rid of Soulbinding would ruin the WoW economy and make it even harder than it already is to find at-level groups for existing instances.

Jas09
08-10-2009, 01:01 PM
I think at this point the only people running low levels are people that enjoy it (such as you) and people that have just gotten the game. Are there really people out there (aside from the occasional guy making a twink) that is running these low level instances for gear anymore?Agreed, the old instances are pretty much dead unless you have a group levelling that likes to do them together. The gear is pretty much irrelevant (made even more so by the heirloom items).If your group agrees to it sure. If not then you're a jerk. Same as any other non-bind on pickup item.But this is just wrong. There will always be jerks in any online game, and one of the things that Blizzard has done very well is make sure that the damage they can cause is limited. BoP is a significant part of that (it gives the jerks less of an incentive to be jerks).

I'm actually a little worried about this new trading mechanism for this reason. It does give a jerk an incentive to roll on something they might otherwise pass on, and then demand some sort of payment from a fellow member that could use the item. I haven't seen it happen yet, and hopefully it won't, but the potential is there.

And yeah, I make pretty good money on a few BoE craftables (Ice Striker's Cloak, Giantmaim Bracers, for example). If everybody could buy a boss drop instead that market would completely disappear.

Infovore
08-10-2009, 01:03 PM
So, is anyone else loving the new Trial of the Champion 5-man instance as much as I am? There is some *sweet* gear in that place! My main is already in full raid gear so there's not much there for him even in heroic, but my primary alt (DK), whom I had been neglecting somewhat lately due to not being very good at playing a DK...made out like a frickin' *bandit* in there yesterday! He went from barely pulling 1400 DPS to (with some friendly advice on gear and rotations from a more skilled DK and about 10 runs of TotC with guildies) around 2300 DPS, and from blues in almost every slot to purples in everything but two rings, shoulders, and sigil! There's definitely something to be said for running instances with guildies who have alts who are better geared than you are--you get to pick up almost all the relevant goodies that drop. :)

I highly recommend this place to anyone who is thinking about getting into raiding. It's not that hard (we 4-manned it several times when one of our DPS disconnected), and the gear is very, very nice.

Oh, and I also love the limited-window trade mechanism (you can trade BoP items with others in your group for up to 2 hours after). Nice way to check out something and see if it really is an upgrade, and give it to someone else if it isn't.

And don't even get me started on the Engineers-only auctioneer in Dalaran. *Sooooo* useful. :)

Bosstone
08-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Hell, I've even taken to buying crafted items at lower levels. Now that I've got a couple of high-level bankrollers, every few levels on my baby Druid or Mage or whatever, I swing by the AH and load up on whatever's a good, cheap upgrade. More and more I find that what I go for are the crafted items. Blizzard's been adjusting them to make them more appealing, and while really good BOE drops are priced at 10, 20, 50, 100 gold to gouge the twinks, crafted stuff tends to sell for less than 1 gold and is perfectly good for leveling.

Mogle
08-10-2009, 01:05 PM
I honestly don't get where you're coming from. You just admitted wool and sundries would be bought at the AH.

Yes, because often it is easier/more efficient to farm gold and buy whatever materials you need.

I think at this point the only people running low levels are people that enjoy it (such as you) and people that have just gotten the game. Are there really people out there (aside from the occasional guy making a twink) that is running these low level instances for gear anymore?

The core problem is that the game currently does not offer enough rewards for running instances at lower levels, if anything Blizzard should give us more incentives to do dungeons properly, not less.

If your group agrees to it sure. If not then you're a jerk. Same as any other non-bind on pickup item.
You're the one who wants to make it possible, I just want to know if you're willing to accept all the consequences.

As far as I'm concerned if you want something with a character you go there and get it with that character.

Mister Rik
08-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Well this is very curious ...

My main on Lightbringer got mail from a character named Hg, who I don't know. The mail had no text, but attached were four full stacks of Saronite Ore, partial stacks of Copper Ore, Iron Ore, and Tin Ore, and assorted types of stone.

I assumed this stuff had been sent to me by mistake (maybe a typo when entering the intended recipient's name), so I left the stuff in the mailbox and wrote back to Hg, asking if they meant to send it to me, and letting them know I'd hold onto it until I heard back.

Later, on a whim, I decided to look up Hg on the Armory. There were 29 different characters named Hg, but none of them were on Lightbringer. The character name (isn't Hg the symbol for helium or hydrogen?) suggested maybe a goldseller, but the 29 Hg's showing on the Armory are all at least lvl 10, with the highest being lvl 79, so I've no reason to assume that the Hg who mailed me was some lvl 1 scammer.

So it looks like this Hg mailed the stuff to me (why me?) and then deleted the character. My main is a miner, so I can use the stuff, but this is just ... weird.

Jas09
08-10-2009, 01:06 PM
On a different subject, any thoughts about the new instances?

I've cleared all of the ones available, and had a pretty good time in all of them.

The regular 5-man was pretty damn easy, but I guess it's supposed to be that way. Farming it should really drive down the price of Abyss Crystals (since it drops purples that DE into them), which is probably a good thing. On heroic it provides a bit of a challenge, especially during the transition to the ground phase (picking up all three champions before a healer gets gibbed is tricky) and in the Black Knight's third phase (pretty significant AoE damage if the DPS is lacking).

The raid encounter is really fun, if perhaps a bit easy. The 25-man PuG I was in yesterday one-shotted it, which was surprising. Although I guess it isn't any easier than Flame Leviathon, and we did have a very good explanation from the raid leader. The Jormungar phase in particular is pretty damn fun, and the Snobolds in phase 1 make me laugh.

Anybody else have thoughts on these?

Bosstone
08-10-2009, 01:10 PM
So it looks like this Hg mailed the stuff to me (why me?) and then deleted the character. My main is a miner, so I can use the stuff, but this is just ... weird.I doubt it's a gold seller, as they wouldn't be trading in ore and stone.

Remember that the Armory doesn't show characters under level 10. The character probably isn't deleted, it's simply a lowbie. My guess is it's a bank toon that was trading materials between his own toons or to someone else. Definitely hang onto the ore and stuff until you hear back, as I'm pretty sure it was a mistake, but if you don't hear back after a while or find out that Hg really is deleted, sell it or do whatever. Their mistake, their loss.

I would keep a list of what all was in the mail, just in case he comes back in two months and demands to know what happened to his stuff, though.

Jas09
08-10-2009, 01:11 PM
I highly recommend this place to anyone who is thinking about getting into raiding. It's not that hard (we 4-manned it several times when one of our DPS disconnected), and the gear is very, very nice.Oh yes, yes it is :) Finally got an upgraded melee weapon when Marrowstrike (http://wowhead.com/?item=47522) dropped! And then got the T8.5 helm (http://wowhead.com/?item=46143) from running heroics and this chest (http://wowhead.com/?item=47251) from the new 25-man raid. I've never seen such a big boost to my DPS in one weekend! Happy hunter...

Ferret Herder
08-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Random note from yesterday: One of my guildies is starting a druid, and has him up to 10th level. He was kicked out of a RFC (Ragefire Chasm, the dungeon in Org) run because - he doesn't have Ventrilo! (That's a voice chat program for those who haven't encountered it, aka "Vent", typically used for raids and such.)

Seriously. Vent for a lowbie dungeon. He managed to find a group that didn't require it. ;)

Jas09
08-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Random note from yesterday: One of my guildies is starting a druid, and has him up to 10th level. He was kicked out of a RFC (Ragefire Chasm, the dungeon in Org) run because - he doesn't have Ventrilo! (That's a voice chat program for those who haven't encountered it, aka "Vent", typically used for raids and such.)

Seriously. Vent for a lowbie dungeon. He managed to find a group that didn't require it. ;)That's awesome. "LFM RFC. Must have Vent. Link Achiev".

Those troggs are serious business.

Bosstone
08-10-2009, 01:14 PM
So, is anyone else loving the new Trial of the Champion 5-man instance as much as I am? There is some *sweet* gear in that place!I want to hit level 80 so bad. :( My Hunter is almost 75, but my partner may be coming back into the game soon, so I'll be switching back to my 67 Paladin. Two steps forward, one step back.

Shot From Guns
08-10-2009, 01:14 PM
So, is anyone else loving the new Trial of the Champion 5-man instance as much as I am?

The jousting is stupid (HAY GUYZ HERE'S THIS SHITTY VEHICLE MECHANIC AGAIN I KNOW IF YOU DO IT ENOUGH TIMES YOU'LL LOVE IT INSTEAD OF HATING IT), and the rest is a cakewalk. But the gear is good--I picked up a few new items for my off-spec set (DPS).

The core problem is that the game currently does not offer enough rewards for running instances at lower levels, if anything Blizzard should give us more incentives to do dungeons properly, not less.

IMO, the incentives are great--better XP and gear than you'd get from questing or grinding at the same level. My WAG is that it's just harder to find groups because people are being run through instead of grouping with others at their level.

My main on Lightbringer got mail from a character named Hg, who I don't know.

Only characters level 10+ show up on the Armory. My guess is that someone's mule sent the items to the wrong character. My advice would be to send a mail to this Hg telling them that you received the items (which it appears that you've done), wait a week or two, and then use or sell the items as you see fit if you haven't heard back. (This is a character in the guild that's just you and your alts, right? Otherwise, check the Guild tab in your Social window, sorted by name, to see if Hg is there.)

Jas09
08-10-2009, 01:18 PM
IMO, the incentives are great--better XP and gear than you'd get from questing or grinding at the same level. My WAG is that it's just harder to find groups because people are being run through instead of grouping with others at their level.Is this true (the XP thing)? I'd always heard that the best per-minute XP is straight questing. I guess it would be true with a good group that blows through the instance (and maybe runs it a few times once they have it down). But add in the waiting around and the (inevitable, eventually) wipes and I can't see how its better XP than just questing.

Shot From Guns
08-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Oh, and my crazy WoW weekend... I ran every single 80 Heroic in the game on Saturday. That's what, 13 instance? I picked up a few new pieces of off-spec gear, as well as enough badges to get my first piece of 8.5, what my friend Corey calls my "sad goat chest." There were a few Heroics I'd never gotten around to doing because I didn't need the gear, so I finally got my Champion of the Frozen Wastes title. Then, to top it all off, I won the roll on the Bronze Drake from the timed CoS run.

Shot From Guns
08-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Is this true (the XP thing)? I'd always heard that the best per-minute XP is straight questing. I guess it would be true with a good group that blows through the instance (and maybe runs it a few times once they have it down). But add in the waiting around and the (inevitable, eventually) wipes and I can't see how its better XP than just questing.

A good group won't have the waiting or the wipes. You won't have XP-per-hour of a runthrough by an 80, but a well-run at-level group is still probably going to net you much more XP (and definitely better gear) than an equivalent amount of time spent questing. The questing involves a lot of time spent in transit, not killing anything--whereas the mobs in the instance are all nice and concentrated, and they give extra XP because they're elite.

What questing will give you better XP than is straight-up grinding.

Ferret Herder
08-10-2009, 01:25 PM
That's awesome. "LFM RFC. Must have Vent. Link Achiev".

Those troggs are serious business.
Hee, my husband said "RFC iz srs biznis" in guild chat after the guy mentioned being booted. From there it went to comments about gear checks and such.

Regarding the ToC instance, on Saturday my husband and I got into a guild group and did the heroic, then ground the heck out of the regular instance for hours. I tanked the heroic as my sorta-equipped druid and am much better equipped now, including getting that lovely tanking trinket, The Black Heart (http://wowhead.com/?item=47216), on normal.

Sunday we tried the heroic again, and failed repeatedly. Most of the same people were there, but we didn't have our "thunder chicken" (Moonkin) along, I played my priest, the DK tanked instead of dps'd, and my husband went as his DK rather than his (healing) shaman; the rest of the group was the hunter from the day before (the DK's wife) and another hunter. We switched out my priest for my warlock, and my husband's DK for his shaman, to deal with the poison. Still failed repeatedly. The hunter-married-to-the-DK said that we needed root to force the rogue NPC to stay away from the group (which causes more poison problems), and the missing moonkin was the problem. I don't even know if root works on her. Meanwhile, my husband thinks the problem was the hunters standing (repeatedly) in the green poison cloud, and the DK running further away from the healer and the totems when he would move out of the cloud. I'm biased because I'm also mostly a healer, but I tend to agree with a healer's perspective.

Jas09
08-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Regarding the ToC instance, on Saturday my husband and I got into a guild group and did the heroic, then ground the heck out of the regular instance for hours. I tanked the heroic as my sorta-equipped druid and am much better equipped now, including getting that lovely tanking trinket, The Black Heart (http://wowhead.com/?item=47216), on normal.

Sunday we tried the heroic again, and failed repeatedly. Most of the same people were there, but we didn't have our "thunder chicken" (Moonkin) along, I played my priest, the DK tanked instead of dps'd, and my husband went as his DK rather than his (healing) shaman; the rest of the group was the hunter from the day before (the DK's wife) and another hunter. We switched out my priest for my warlock, and my husband's DK for his shaman, to deal with the poison. Still failed repeatedly. The hunter-married-to-the-DK said that we needed root to force the rogue NPC to stay away from the group (which causes more poison problems), and the missing moonkin was the problem. I don't even know if root works on her. Meanwhile, my husband thinks the problem was the hunters standing (repeatedly) in the green poison cloud, and the DK running further away from the healer and the totems when he would move out of the cloud. I'm biased because I'm also mostly a healer, but I tend to agree with a healer's perspective.Sounds like your problem was with the second half of the first phase (with the three faction champions)? I've done the heroic maybe 4 times now and it really makes a big difference which ones you get. I assume you had a kill order marked and being followed? If people are dying to the poison cloud then that is *definitely* a problem :) We've certainly never used any CC on this phase.

If you have the healer (Shaman) up you should try to be interrupting his heals (I believe they are all interruptable).

I think the general priority should be Shaman > Mage > Warrior > Rogue > Hunter. At least that's how we've been handling it.

Oh, and that tanking trinket is badass. Grats.

Bosstone
08-10-2009, 01:38 PM
For anyone who doesn't follow WoW Insider, they just reported a leak of the new races in the next expansion. (SPOILER)Link (http://wow.com/2009/08/10/cataclysm-races-leaked/)(SPOILER)

They're closemouthed about their source, but I've found WoW Insider to be pretty darn reliable. If they're satisfied with the veracity of the info, so am I. Blizzard will be announcing the expansion info at Blizzcon this month anyway.

Darwin's Finch
08-10-2009, 01:44 PM

My main on Lightbringer got mail from a character named Hg, who I don't know. The mail had no text, but attached were four full stacks of Saronite Ore, partial stacks of Copper Ore, Iron Ore, and Tin Ore, and assorted types of stone.

I assumed this stuff had been sent to me by mistake (maybe a typo when entering the intended recipient's name), so I left the stuff in the mailbox and wrote back to Hg, asking if they meant to send it to me, and letting them know I'd hold onto it until I heard back.

Later, on a whim, I decided to look up Hg on the Armory. There were 29 different characters named Hg, but none of them were on Lightbringer. The character name (isn't Hg the symbol for helium or hydrogen?) suggested maybe a goldseller, but the 29 Hg's showing on the Armory are all at least lvl 10, with the highest being lvl 79, so I've no reason to assume that the Hg who mailed me was some lvl 1 scammer.

So it looks like this Hg mailed the stuff to me (why me?) and then deleted the character. My main is a miner, so I can use the stuff, but this is just ... weird.

What you can do is add Hg to your friends list. If the toon has been deleted, you'll be alerted that no character by that name exists. If you're able to add it, you'll see his level, as well as being able to tell when he's online and can thus just whisper him directly, rather than waiting for a couple months to determine what to do with the stuff.

Oh, and Hg = Mercury ;)

jayjay
08-10-2009, 01:44 PM
For anyone who doesn't follow WoW Insider, they just reported a leak of the new races in the next expansion. (SPOILER)Link (http://wow.com/2009/08/10/cataclysm-races-leaked/)(SPOILER)

They're closemouthed about their source, but I've found WoW Insider to be pretty darn reliable. If they're satisfied with the veracity of the info, so am I. Blizzard will be announcing the expansion info at Blizzcon this month anyway.

Can you summarize? I can't go to WoWinsider (or any primarily gaming website) here at work. Spoiler if you feel the need. New races always make me feel all tingly inside.

Ferret Herder
08-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Sounds like your problem was with the second half of the first phase (with the three faction champions)? I've done the heroic maybe 4 times now and it really makes a big difference which ones you get. I assume you had a kill order marked and being followed? If people are dying to the poison cloud then that is *definitely* a problem :) We've certainly never used any CC on this phase.

If you have the healer (Shaman) up you should try to be interrupting his heals (I believe they are all interruptable).

I think the general priority should be Shaman > Mage > Warrior > Rogue > Hunter. At least that's how we've been handling it.
Yeah, we reset the instance once to try to get a better group of champions, and used the kill order you listed. IIRC, the first selection was shaman, warrior, rogue; the DK complained that the warrior would charge him and knock him out of healing range/whatever each time he tried to move from the poison cloud. Second time was shaman, mage, rogue - mage kept nuking the crap out of our shaman. The DK also complained that he had only one interrupt.

Yes, green cloud death is definitely a problem. I didn't see it the first time I ran the instance, the day before on the heroic, on my bear-druid and had to turn up my spell effects on my crummy comp - the DK is the one who told me about that. We finally quit; there are only so many repair bills - and times that you can say "hunters, don't stand in the cloud" - before you get sick of it.

We did have one really weird effect - at one point the hunter misdirected to her husband (tanking DK) and the shaman NPC actually went off on her immediately. I even saw my Big Brother mod report the misdirect had happened appropriately, so that was weird.

Jas09
08-10-2009, 01:45 PM

They're closemouthed about their source, but I've found WoW Insider to be pretty darn reliable. If they're satisfied with the veracity of the info, so am I. Blizzard will be announcing the expansion info at Blizzcon this month anyway.This matches the rumors that have been circulating. And might just make me roll an Alliance toon...

Alliance = Worgen
Horde = Goblin

Ferret Herder
08-10-2009, 01:47 PM
This matches the rumors that have been circulating. And might just make me roll an Alliance toon...

Alliance = Worgen
Horde = Goblin
No, that is clearly good news for the Horde. ;) I deleted a lvl 30 pally on my server list just to free up a slot for my new Hordeling.

Bosstone
08-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Jas09 has the races in the spoiler. My own thoughts:
I think they're kind of odd choices, but also compelling. Apparently Undermine, home of the goblins, is on an island near the Maelstrom, so if the next expansion focuses on the Maelstrom, they're a natural choice. Then, of course, there's Gilneas, hidden behind that gate in Silverpine Forest. I made a pilgrimage the other day just to see the gate. The idea of it opening and worgen pouring forth to aid the Alliance is really neat.

Also, has anyone else noticed that huge gate in Stormwind Harbor near the boat to Northrend? They're clearly planning to open up the area between Stormwind and Dun Morogh eventually, and it's possible that will come with Gilneas, to give the lowbie worgen someplace to play other than Silverpine.

Mister Rik
08-10-2009, 01:53 PM
I would keep a list of what all was in the mail, just in case he comes back in two months and demands to know what happened to his stuff, though.
Yeah, I'm gonna leave it in the mailbox for now - that will hold it for 30 days (and I have no room in my personal or guild banks for the stuff ATM either).

Only characters level 10+ show up on the Armory. My guess is that someone's mule sent the items to the wrong character. My advice would be to send a mail to this Hg telling them that you received the items (which it appears that you've done), wait a week or two, and then use or sell the items as you see fit if you haven't heard back. (This is a character in the guild that's just you and your alts, right? Otherwise, check the Guild tab in your Social window, sorted by name, to see if Hg is there.)
Yeah, this is on Eilyssana, my main, who is in my vanity guild (Order of The Rik). Interestingly, my Eilyssana seems to be the only Eilyssana in the entire game, on all servers, at least according to the Armory (so I suppose there may be one or more lower than lvl 10).

Yeticus Rex
08-10-2009, 01:55 PM
I too had some serious gaming going on this weekend as well.......in Vegas. Maybe I will find my way back in tonight after Yeti Jr. hits the sack (school night).

Tom Scud
08-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Jas09 has the races in the spoiler. My own thoughts:
I think they're kind of odd choices, but also compelling.

Goblins for the Horde I've seen rumored a fair amount, and makes sense. It goes further in making the Horde and Allies similar to each other - the Horde now has a small, annoying race, probably with a magic focus, and the Allies now have big furries. I'd kind of expected the Allies to pick up Furbolgs, but Worgen work as well.

Tom Scud
08-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Oh, hey, here's a PUG story: wound up running SM Cathedral in a group with 3 priests (levels 34, 35, and 38 i think) and a 42 Druid tanking. There was also a shammy along, but whatevs. It was crazy fun - the tank was in serious overdrive mode, zooming off to the next group as the first group was falling over, and we were all sort of trailing behind him, alternately shielding him, throwing heals on him, spraying dots all over the place, shooting wands in random directions, and occasionally firing off holy novas just for the sheer joy of it. Occasionally one of us would sit out a fight sequence because we were oom and drinking, and it really didn't even slow anything down. We wiped once when towards the back of the cathedral a runner ran off directly towards the final boss, but even with that it was the most fun I've had in a WoW instance run.

jayjay
08-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Ooh...the rumored races sound cool! And the reasoning is right...Gilneas is one of the few pieces of land big enough for a newbie zone that isn't currently in play. All the rest are either Hyjal or tiny, weirdly-shaped odds and ends in the middle of mountain ranges between current zones or little strips of beach behind the coastal mountains.

Tom Scud
08-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Ooh...the rumored races sound cool! And the reasoning is right...Gilneas is one of the few pieces of land big enough for a newbie zone that isn't currently in play. All the rest are either Hyjal or tiny, weirdly-shaped odds and ends in the middle of mountain ranges between current zones or little strips of beach behind the coastal mountains.

Well, they could always open up Pandaria :).

aruvqan
08-10-2009, 02:21 PM

Thanks!

Going to have a couple days hiatus, at 5pm I'm headed to pick up mrAru to head over to a hotel in New Haven as I have a 7 am tee off with my surgical oncologist. I know I will be staying overnight at a minimum, more days depending on what he finds after rummaging around inside. At least I will not need a colonoscopy for a couple years and I may or may not still have an appendix ... though it has never given me any issues in the past :D

[we prefer to spend a night in a hotel next to Yale-New Haven hospital instead of fighting traffic at some ungodly hour of the morning.]

So try not to die too many times, or get lost in Barrens until I get back and maybe Ill drag you into the Hinterlands to kill big birds.

Bosstone
08-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Well, they could always open up Pandaria :).It saddens me that Pandaria will never happen. It's an April Fool's joke Blizzard's tolerated but will never take seriously. A shame, because a neutral race would be really neat. A true neutral race would be best, where they're on their own side but can team with either Horde or Alliance. Failing that, a race with a starting zone like DKs, where they choose whether they go Horde or Alliance at the end of an intro story, would be just as good.

I know Blizzard never will do anything like that due to the hard wall they want to maintain between the Alliance and Horde, including player silhouettes for PVP, but it'd be such a neat addition.

Darkhold
08-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Yes, because often it is easier/more efficient to farm gold and buy whatever materials you need. Right so not much would change for the AH. It'll still be easier to farm gold then to run instances for alts. It'll have an impact I'm sure but it won't suddenly destroy the economy.
The core problem is that the game currently does not offer enough rewards for running instances at lower levels, if anything Blizzard should give us more incentives to do dungeons properly, not less.Obviously BoP items aren't doing it though. Why keep something that's just awkward? Why can't my main give some decent items he can't use to another character in my account?
You're the one who wants to make it possible, I just want to know if you're willing to accept all the consequences.I tremble in fear of these consequences you speak of. In all seriousness though if they tried it and it turned into a huge screw up they can always change it back.As far as I'm concerned if you want something with a character you go there and get it with that character.What about what happened to me? I wasn't even in an instance when I got a world drop BOP that was totally useless to my main but would have been perfect for my alt. This was simply idiotic. I couldn't even vendor it for cash. Instead of a moment of 'wow what LUCK!' it was a moment of "What the hell? I guess I'll never see that pattern again". Getting rid of Soulbinding would ruin the WoW economy and make it even harder than it already is to find at-level groups for existing instances.I'm not saying get rid of soulbinding. I'm saying change Bind on Pickup to Bind to Account. And I wouldn't mind having an ability to send soulbound items to my enchanter for scrapping. Though that's another can of worms altogether.

Shot From Guns
08-10-2009, 02:26 PM
aruvqan, have, um, "fun"? I guess?

Meanwhile, my husband thinks the problem was the hunters standing (repeatedly) in the green poison cloud, and the DK running further away from the healer and the totems when he would move out of the cloud.

You and your husband were right. What is so hard about running out of the green shit on the ground? Seriously. Move out of it and it stops hurting you. You don't need to run across the whole arena--just step out of the vile cloud of green death.

If you're able to add it, you'll see his level

Did they change that? IIRC, you can't see the level of someone on your friends list unless they're online at the time.

]Interestingly, my Eilyssana seems to be the only Eilyssana in the entire game, on all servers, at least according to the Armory (so I suppose there may be one or more lower than lvl 10).

There could also be one or more on the EU servers. I was the only US Sleutel for a long time (until some jerk Belf mage stole my name), but there are quite a few EU ones.

There was also a shammy along, but whatevs. It was crazy fun - the tank was in serious overdrive mode, zooming off to the next group as the first group was falling over

I love it when there's a good group and we can just chain-pull.

Shot From Guns
08-10-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm not saying get rid of soulbinding. I'm saying change Bind on Pickup to Bind to Account. And I wouldn't mind having an ability to send soulbound items to my enchanter for scrapping. Though that's another can of worms altogether.

1.) Account-Bound vs. Soulbound would still mean a big hit to the economy. It would also introduce all the aforementioned problems of, "But my alt can use this!"

2.) Allowing you to send soulbound items to your chanter would also harm the economy, because it would create an influx of higher-level mats. If you want to DE things on a character, make that character an Enchanter. Otherwise, you are choosing to give up that benefit in exchange for the benefits of whatever other professions that character has.

Personally, the only change I'd wish for is to make Soulbound items able to be held, but not equipped, by other characters on your account.

Infovore
08-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Personally, the only change I'd wish for is to make Soulbound items able to be held, but not equipped, by other characters on your account.

Yes, this. Or, alternatively, Blizz: GIVE US MORE BANK SPACE!!!

There's that whole empty line of space below the current row of bag slots in the bank vault--give us another one!

I'm sure I'm not the only person who hangs onto mementos from old raids and whatnot, outdated tier sets, cool looking weapons...please give us something to do with them. Let us send them to alts for safekeeping, designate one alt as a "special" bank alt who can hold soulbound items...even if we have to designate an item as "inactive" when the alt has it...just do something. You keep giving us more content, but you don't give us more places to put the stuff from it.

aktep
08-10-2009, 02:44 PM

The new autocomplete in the mailbox interface appears to pick up more than just your friends and guildies - for me it starts listing people near me, or names from chat channels as I'm typing in a name. A misguided mouse click and suddenly you're mailing from your bank toon to some random person, instead of your crafter.

Tom Scud
08-10-2009, 02:55 PM
The new autocomplete in the mailbox interface appears to pick up more than just your friends and guildies - for me it starts listing people near me, or names from chat channels as I'm typing in a name. A misguided mouse click and suddenly you're mailing from your bank toon to some random person, instead of your crafter.

Also, (though it certainly wouldn't apply to Mister Rik's character) I've tried to send mail to people as if the old autocomplete was still on - by typing in the first three letters of the name and then clicking "send". Fortunately, so far I haven't actually sent anything to the wrong person.

Quasimodem
08-10-2009, 02:56 PM
So try not to die too many times, or get lost in Barrens until I get back and maybe Ill drag you into the Hinterlands to kill big birds.

You just take care of Ms. Aruvqan! :) I have SFG, jayjay, Mister Rik, Mogle, Bosstone (if I left anyone out, consider the source, please!) to keep me out of trouble.

And, as the conductor (Tom Hanks) said to the little girl in Polar Express: "I'd follow you anywhere, young lady!"

Bill/Quasi/Wolkie/Silka

Gary Robson
08-10-2009, 03:06 PM
The new autocomplete in the mailbox interface appears to pick up more than just your friends and guildies - for me it starts listing people near me, or names from chat channels as I'm typing in a name. A misguided mouse click and suddenly you're mailing from your bank toon to some random person, instead of your crafter.If you do accidentally mail something to the wrong person, is there any way of finding out where it went? There doesn't appear to be any sort of mail archive.

I had an embarrassing situation arise when a guildie sent me some stuff to disenchant. I opened the email, pulled the gear out (which deleted the email), disenchanted everything, and then forgot who sent me the stuff. There's nothing like the caller ID history list on the phone that lets me see who the last dozen people were to send me mail. I ended up having to announce it in guild chat until someone said, "yeah, that was me."

Mogle
08-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Right so not much would change for the AH. It'll still be easier to farm gold then to run instances for alts. It'll have an impact I'm sure but it won't suddenly destroy the economy.

Wool is wool, it doesn't matter how you get it. The gear that you can pick up from instances is better than what you'll find on the ah.

Obviously BoP items aren't doing it though. Why keep something that's just awkward? Why can't my main give some decent items he can't use to another character in my account?

No, but removing BoP would kill any chance of fixing it.
And it isn't really awkward, Soulbound has been working just fine for more than four years.

What about what happened to me? I wasn't even in an instance when I got a world drop BOP that was totally useless to my main but would have been perfect for my alt. This was simply idiotic. I couldn't even vendor it for cash. Instead of a moment of 'wow what LUCK!' it was a moment of "What the hell? I guess I'll never see that pattern again".
Which pattern was it? Of the top of my head I can only think of one, and that can at least be vendored. But this is really an issue with that specific pattern, not soulbound as a whole. At rate they kind of fixed it in the Burning Crusade so you won't see BoP patterns drop unless you can use them.

A good group won't have the waiting or the wipes. You won't have XP-per-hour of a runthrough by an 80, but a well-run at-level group is still probably going to net you much more XP (and definitely better gear) than an equivalent amount of time spent questing. The questing involves a lot of time spent in transit, not killing anything--whereas the mobs in the instance are all nice and concentrated, and they give extra XP because they're elite.

Keyword here is good, usually I'm happy if the group doesn't fall apart half way through because someone throws a hissy fit or leaves because his dinner is ready.

Bosstone
08-10-2009, 03:19 PM
I had an embarrassing situation arise when a guildie sent me some stuff to disenchant. I opened the email, pulled the gear out (which deleted the email), disenchanted everything, and then forgot who sent me the stuff. There's nothing like the caller ID history list on the phone that lets me see who the last dozen people were to send me mail. I ended up having to announce it in guild chat until someone said, "yeah, that was me."Whenever I send stuff to another player, I always add a note to the mail. The mail does not disappear if there's text, but it will if it's only items or money. It's an extra step to delete the note if it's not necessary, but it does add permanence to the mail which can be helpful, like in that situation. So I'd blame your guildmate. :D

Infovore
08-10-2009, 03:19 PM

Does anyone else hate the new autocomplete? I liked the old one--you could start typing in a name, and if it was a guildie or on your friends list, it would autocomplete, you hit Enter and were one your way. Now it drops a drop-down list, *doesn't* autocomplete, and you can't even use the arrow key to move down the drop-down list. You actually have to *click* on the name. I don't like it at all. I wish they'd go back to the old way.

Bosstone
08-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Does anyone else hate the new autocomplete? I liked the old one--you could start typing in a name, and if it was a guildie or on your friends list, it would autocomplete, you hit Enter and were one your way. Now it drops a drop-down list, *doesn't* autocomplete, and you can't even use the arrow key to move down the drop-down list. You actually have to *click* on the name. I don't like it at all. I wish they'd go back to the old way.Actually, you can. When the box of names appears, hit Tab. The first name in the list will be highlighted, then you can use the arrow keys to page through and hit Enter to enter the name.

That said, I prefer the old autocomplete too, especially for sending things between my toons.

Nava
08-10-2009, 03:22 PM
My own thoughts: I need more spaces dagnabit!

Quasimodem
08-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Ferret Herder, IW.......... just EVRYONE in this thread who cares about me, ah reckon! :)

Shot From Guns
08-10-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only person who hangs onto mementos from old raids and whatnot, outdated tier sets, cool looking weapons... [snip] You keep giving us more content, but you don't give us more places to put the stuff from it.

Exactly! So much of the stuff in my bank is Soulbound outfits and items from special events--things that I couldn't just go out and grind any day of the week I choose. Some of them I'd have to wait for the holiday to get again; some were one-shots that will never be obtainable again, ever.

If you do accidentally mail something to the wrong person, is there any way of finding out where it went?

I think there are mailbox addons that will track this, but there's nothing in the default UI.

And it isn't really awkward, Soulbound has been working just fine for more than four years.

Yeah, seriously--it ain't broke, so let's not "fix" it. "But I don't wanna have to grind it again!" isn't really a valid reason, IMO.

Keyword here is good, usually I'm happy if the group doesn't fall apart half way through because someone throws a hissy fit or leaves because his dinner is ready.

Yeah, that's the problem with group content. Better rewards, but the payoff depends on finding four to 39 more people who aren't complete idiots. :D

Whenever I send stuff to another player, I always add a note to the mail.

Not to mention, if someone's doing you a favor (e.g., by DEing a bunch of greens or picking some locks), it's polite to thank them again, anyway.

Does anyone else hate the new autocomplete?

The fact that the old kind of autocomplete for mail has stopped working is currently listed as a known issue. (The why the hell did you let the new one go live, silly Blizzard?) Personally, it's driving me nuts to have autocomplete boxes flickering on and off as I type in chat. Hey, Blizz, guess what--if I'm not typing immediately after an /r or /invite or /ginvite or something else that requires an exact name to work properly, don't try to autocomplete for me.

Infovore
08-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Yeah, that's the problem with group content. Better rewards, but the payoff depends on finding four to 39 more people who aren't complete idiots. :D

I can't remember if this was posted here or somewhere else (and I'm too lazy to check back multiple pages), but just in case it wasn't here, you might find it amusing (http://cracked.com/blog/understanding-the-world-of-warcraft-using-super-mario-brothers/). Me, I nearly hurt myself laughing because it's *so* true. :)

Mister Rik
08-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Okay, this was probably a little cheesy on my part, but ...

I've mentioned before the difficulty I've had in Sholazar Basin trying to both kill Artuis and keep Jaloot alive so that I can start doing the Oracles dailies. I've managed to produce a dead Artruis three times. The first time when he finally killed me when he was down to a sliver of HP and Jaloot finished him off while I was running back to my corpse, and I got nothing out of it; the second time I killed him and was able to loot his phylactery and get me a handy necklace (and officially complete the quest), but Jaloot didn't survive; the third time I again killed him without Jaloot surviving. Since then, apparently due to some of my gear changes (I keep running out of mana very quickly for some reason when I fight this guy), I've been unable to even get as far as him siccing Jaloot and the other guy on me. Needless to say, I've been very frustrated because I need to kill him and have Jaloot survive in order to get the Oracles dailies.

So today I was in Sholazar flying around farming saronite. I happened to be flying over the area where that cave is, and I glanced at my minimap and spotted a dimmed-out blue "!" below me. I descended as fast as I could, entered the cave, and ran as fast as I could to the area where you fight Artruis. I passed 2-3 other players who were on their way out, apparently having just beaten Artruis. I got in there and there was Jaloot with the blue "!", so I clicked on him and got his message right before he faded out. "You may only complete 22 more daily quests today" appeared in my chat window.

Still, I'm not certain that I'm actually able to do the dailies now. Jaloot let me get several yards away before a yellow "!" appeared over his head (to give me, I assume, the quest to go back and talk to Soo-say), and then he faded out before I could get back to him. I guess I'll check with Soo-say tomorrow and find out.

Electronic Chaos
08-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Okay, this was probably a little cheesy on my part, but ...

I've mentioned before the difficulty I've had in Sholazar Basin trying to both kill Artuis and keep Jaloot alive so that I can start doing the Oracles dailies. I've managed to produce a dead Artruis three times. The first time when he finally killed me when he was down to a sliver of HP and Jaloot finished him off while I was running back to my corpse, and I got nothing out of it; the second time I killed him and was able to loot his phylactery and get me a handy necklace (and officially complete the quest), but Jaloot didn't survive; the third time I again killed him without Jaloot surviving. Since then, apparently due to some of my gear changes (I keep running out of mana very quickly for some reason when I fight this guy), I've been unable to even get as far as him siccing Jaloot and the other guy on me. Needless to say, I've been very frustrated because I need to kill him and have Jaloot survive in order to get the Oracles dailies.

So today I was in Sholazar flying around farming saronite. I happened to be flying over the area where that cave is, and I glanced at my minimap and spotted a dimmed-out blue "!" below me. I descended as fast as I could, entered the cave, and ran as fast as I could to the area where you fight Artruis. I passed 2-3 other players who were on their way out, apparently having just beaten Artruis. I got in there and there was Jaloot with the blue "!", so I clicked on him and got his message right before he faded out. "You may only complete 22 more daily quests today" appeared in my chat window.

Still, I'm not certain that I'm actually able to do the dailies now. Jaloot let me get several yards away before a yellow "!" appeared over his head (to give me, I assume, the quest to go back and talk to Soo-say), and then he faded out before I could get back to him. I guess I'll check with Soo-say tomorrow and find out.

Hah, I've killed Altruis three times now, too. The first one, I didn't read anything about the quest, so I didn't know I had to protect the one of the faction I was picking. I was just in "Kill anything that attacks me!" mode. The second time, I actually pulled it off successfully after reading everything. And then, on my way out I passed a Troll priest, and asked if he wanted any help because I was feeling generous, and knew I would have liked some help.

Earlier today, I was doing the dailies in Grizzly Hills, now that I'm more comfortable with PvP. I managed to finish them all without except one being harassed by any Allies. The one I was working on was the "get three damaged shredders and return them." So I get two of them just fine, and on the third I start getting attacked by someone. I get it as far as I can, but it's too late and it's destroyed. I turn around, and there's at least 4 guys standing there, so I start laying DOTs on them, and get as far into the Horde area as I can, letting the guards help. Of course, through all of this, I was fully expecting to die, but thought I could at least take one or two of them out...

...except they ALL died, and I had barely a scratch (Though, I had fired off Death Coil, which gives a 300% return on health, and Haunt which gives 100% return). These were level 80's, too. Presumably not well equipped for PvP, but 80's nonetheless. Two of them tried attacking me twice after that, and I melted them down just as easily. And then they did it again. I'm sure they would have kept trying, except I managed to finish the last quest in between all of this, and left the area.

Darkhold
08-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Wool is wool, it doesn't matter how you get it. The gear that you can pick up from instances is better than what you'll find on the ah.
I think we just can't communicate on this issue. To me there's nothing holy about running instances over and over 'properly' hoping I'll get lucky. If (like me) you create tons of alts it really gets silly having to do the same instance 3-4 times per character just so I'll get a specific dagger when I could just take a character that's done it a few times and maybe even get two or three usable items for a few characters.No, but removing BoP would kill any chance of fixing it.
And it isn't really awkward, Soulbound has been working just fine for more than four years.I disagree it's working fine. I find it artificial to begin with but I can accept BoE for the economy. BoP is just annoying.Which pattern was it? Of the top of my head I can only think of one, and that can at least be vendored. But this is really an issue with that specific pattern, not soulbound as a whole. At rate they kind of fixed it in the Burning Crusade so you won't see BoP patterns drop unless you can use them.Citrine Golden Pendent of Healing. Obviously this wasn't fixed in Burning Crusade as Jewelcrafting didn't exist until that Xpack. It dropped from a mob in Desolace for my Engineer. This was about a month ago. Perhaps it was a bug but it just highlighted for me how annoying this mechanic was. I brought it back to Orgimmar and attempted to vendor it. It had no sell price.

Before anyone sneers yes this is a relatively low level pattern but I'm a bit of a completionist and this was just frustrating to me.

Anyway this is obviously this is something that we can't really agree on. You see it as game altering and I see it as a minor change that could be reversed if more people hate it then like it. If you like you can have the last word.

Quasimodem
08-11-2009, 01:49 AM
Y'all, what does bein described as "Holy" mean in WoW?

Are you suddenly Messianic or what?

Not being sarcastic (too late for that;)), but just wanted to know if it gives your toon the right to "heal", not die and have to be rezzed, walk on water, or whatever?

Thanks

Quasi

Mogle
08-11-2009, 03:50 AM
.Citrine Golden Pendent of Healing. Obviously this wasn't fixed in Burning Crusade as Jewelcrafting didn't exist until that Xpack. It dropped from a mob in Desolace for my Engineer. This was about a month ago. Perhaps it was a bug but it just highlighted for me how annoying this mechanic was. I brought it back to Orgimmar and attempted to vendor it. It had no sell price.

My gut reaction is that they messed up with that pattern, because I don't think that there are any BoP patterns in Outland or Northrend that can be looted if you don't have the profession.

Anyway this is obviously this is something that we can't really agree on. You see it as game altering and I see it as a minor change that could be reversed if more people hate it then like it. If you like you can have the last word.
Agreed, lets drop this discussion.

Paladins and Priests each have a talent tree is named Holy, so describing someone as Holy in wow is just a quick way to describe his or her talent spec.

Ferret Herder
08-11-2009, 05:21 AM
Paladins and Priests each have a talent tree is named Holy, so describing someone as Holy in wow is just a quick way to describe his or her talent spec.
And to clarify further, it's also generally a way to say that character is being a healer.

Skammer
08-11-2009, 09:42 AM
My main is a Holy priest. I usually encourage genuflection.

jayjay
08-11-2009, 09:58 AM
My main is a Holy priest. I usually encourage genuflection.

High-church flummery! :D

You'll get ONE incense cone and like it!

Shot From Guns
08-11-2009, 10:19 AM

Further comments to what's already been said...

1.) Holy is the healing spec for Pallies and Priests, but Restoration is the healing spec for Druids and Shamans. (All Holy specs are healing, but not all healing specs are Holy.)

2.) Holy is also a school of magic (compare to Shadow, Nature, Frost, Fire, and Arcane). Not all spells that do Holy damage appear under Holy trees or are used exclusively by people specced into Holy trees.

Skammer
08-11-2009, 10:38 AM
2.) Holy is also a school of magic (compare to Shadow, Nature, Frost, Fire, and Arcane). Not all spells that do Holy damage appear under Holy trees or are used exclusively by people specced into Holy trees.
This is a good point. Paladins, especially, do a lot of holy spell damage - even Retribution and Protection pallies. And I seem to remember - unless it's changed - that you can't have resistance against Holy magic, unlike the other schools.

Tom Scud
08-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Also, Discipline priests are basically healers. (Well, damage-preventers, but same difference).

Tom Scud
08-11-2009, 10:40 AM
And of course Disc priests do a lot of holy damage as well. (At least if they have reflective shield).

Telperien
08-11-2009, 10:42 AM
I finished the Northrend Nesingway quests last night, earning the achievements The Snows of Northrend and Hemet Nesingwary: The Collected Quests. I also got Hemet's Trophy Gun (http://wowhead.com/?item=39486) as a reward.

I started a druid and am thinking of making him a healer. I don't have any other healers (my paladin is Retribution) and haven't really been interested in healing, but I thought I would try it out and see if I enjoyed it.

Gary Robson
08-11-2009, 10:44 AM
I think we just can't communicate on this issue. To me there's nothing holy about running instances over and over 'properly' hoping I'll get lucky. If (like me) you create tons of alts it really gets silly having to do the same instance 3-4 times per character just so I'll get a specific dagger when I could just take a character that's done it a few times and maybe even get two or three usable items for a few characters.I understand you and Mogle have dropped the discussion, but I have a different view from both of you.

I understand that the current ethics of the game involve quite detailed loot rules that most guilds follow. If I'm running with one of those groups, I only roll on items that toon can use for his current spec, and discuss items he can use for an second spec.

BUT, there are a lot of us (I'd go so far as to say a significant majority of people who have reached level 80) who have alts. I wish we could put together a group with a prior understanding that we're all playing our best toons and farming for our alts. Everybody rolls on everything, unless you just plain can't use it. Or perhaps you take turns: once you get a piece of gear, you stop rolling until everyone else has gotten a piece of gear. Unfortunately, players don't have that option because of the BoP system.

Shot From Guns
08-11-2009, 11:19 AM
By special Quasimodem request...

The Wowhead Gear Research How-To

Here is a link to the full gallery (http://img10.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=wowhead01.jpg) of images. Each image will also be linked in its respective step.

1.) Go to http://wowhead.com. This (http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5139/wowhead01.jpg) is the page you will see. (Feel free to laugh at how many of the bookmarks on my bar are WoW related.)

2.) Mouse over (http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8987/wowhead02.jpg) the drop-down above the search box that's labeled Database. You will see a list of categories under a heading called Browse.

3.) Mouse over (http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/7488/wowhead03.jpg) the Items section under the Browse heading. You will see another menu pop open to the right.

4.) Let's pretend we're going to find Wolkie a shiny new chest piece. Keep expanding (http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1928/wowhead04.jpg) the menus: from the Items section, mouseover Armor, then Plate, then Chest. You'll see that there's no arrow over Chest; there's nothing to expand. So go ahead and click it!

5.) You're now taken to a page (http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9448/wowhead05.jpg) with every single Chest piece of the Plate armor class. This is obviously way more information than you need. If you look at the top, there's a list that shows the section of the database you're browing. It says Database > Items > Armor > Plate > Chest. (You could change any of these sections by mousing over one of those and selecting something else, but we're not going to do that right now.) Opposite that directory listing, on the right side of the screen, there's a link that says Create a Filter. Click that.

6.) Now you have a filter (http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7610/wowhead06.jpg) with a bunch of options you can apply to narrow down your search! There are a lot of options you don't need to use most of the time, but they're still nice to have once in a while. The two things that are going to be the most useful for finding upgrades are Required level and Quality. Required level is the minimum level your character needs to be to wear the item; Quality is a measure of how good the item is compared to other items of its level. Since Wolkie is currently 38, let's search for a Rare (blue) chest in the 35-45 range.

7.) Once you enter in the information and hit the Apply Filter button, this (http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2292/wowhead07.jpg) is what you'll see (note where the information was entered). There are two chest pieces that match the criteria we've selected. You can see the stats (http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6155/wowhead08.jpg) for each individual item by mousing over them, just like you would in the game. Now let's look at them side-by-side: click the check boxes next to each one, and click the Compare button.

8.) Here's the comparison page (http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5521/wowhead09.jpg). Each item's stats are listed side-by-side, with the highest one for each category highlighted in green. There is a summary at the bottom called Gains that gives you a general idea of what the benefits of each piece of armor are.

9.) To add another item (http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6662/wowhead10.jpg) to the comparison, click on + Item. Start typing a name of an item to add to the comparison (I'm using the chest that my character currently wears). One of the neat things about Wowhead is that its search boxes try to predict what you're looking for, and will offer a drop-down of potential items as you type. The selection will narrow down as you type more. You can either type the full item name and hit enter, or type the partial item name and click on the one you want.

10.) Now we have a three-way item comparison (http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4237/wowhead11.jpg). When you're looking at more than two items, it can be helpful to set one item as your focus, to which the other items are then compared. At the top of each item's box, there's an icon that looks like an eye. When you mouseover the eye, you will see a box that says Set focus. Click the eye to set your focus to this item.

11.) Now we're comparing all other items (http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3258/wowhead12.jpg) directly to the one that has focus. You will see that the eye icon is white instead of gray. (Clicking it again will remove the focus, or you can click another eye to make that item the focus.) This is a pretty skewed comparison, since I'm putting one of the best items in the game up against some armor designed for someone 40 levels lower than me. The numbers won't always be big and red. :p

12.) Now that you've looked at the items side-by-side, let's look at them individually.

a.) Click on Carapace of Tuten'kash (http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/8177/wowhead13.jpg). On its page, you can see its stats without mousing over it. You can see a screenshot of what it looks like. (On female toons, it's that stupid metal bikini. I had this chest when I was 40, and I always wore a tabard over it. :D) Perhaps most important is the Dropped by tab at the bottom of the screen. There, you can see that this chest has a 29% chance to drop from Tuten'kash, a level 37 Elite boss in the Razorfen Downs instance.

b.) By comparison, if you look at the page for Truesilver Breastplate (http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6421/wowhead14.jpg), you see that it has a Created by tab that tells you it's made by Blacksmithing. The Reagents section tells you what is needed to make it--mousing over each reagent gives the name of it, and the icon tells you how many you need. The Skill section tells you that a smith has to have a BS skill level of 245 or higher to make the chest. (The color coded numbers matches the color of the recipe in their Blacksmithing window--it tells you how likely they are to gain a skill ponit by making the recipe at that level. A 245 BS would get a point, 265 probably would, 275 might, and a 285+ BS would never get a point from making it.)

So, there you have it: a way to search for items that are useful around your level, and how to find where to get them (either what monster to kill or what materials to collect and what profession to have make it). I hope that was helpful--let me know if anything wasn't clear!

Shot From Guns
08-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Oh, and in reply to other things...

1.) Yes, I totally neglected Discipline Priests! I love our Disc Priests.

2.) For people who dislike BoP/Soulbinding because they want to gear alts: why not just... run the alt? IMO, there's already enough EZ Mode in this game without making the best gear even easier to obtain. If you have problems with your main filling an important role for some fights, why not ask if you can park your main outside and bring it in only for the fights where it's needed, while you use your alt for the rest of the run? No one is forcing you to have more than one character; IMO, if you want the extra toon, that means you have to put the work into gearing it. You shouldn't just be handed everything because you already have one higher-level character.

Skammer
08-11-2009, 12:15 PM
High-church flummery! :D

You'll get ONE incense cone and like it!

That's it! No more heals for jayjay!:D

Nava
08-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Shot From Guns, that's the best handbook on anything I've seen in a long time. Bravissimo!

Tom Scud
08-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Oh, and in reply to other things...

1.) Yes, I totally neglected Discipline Priests! I love our Disc Priests.

Surprisingly fun to solo with, mainly on account of reflective shield. I love me some reflective shield. Makes me feel like a schoolyard bully: "Stop hitting yourself! Why do you keep hitting yourself! Come on, stop hitting yourself!"

(It is kind of odd that the entire talent tree is built around one spell (Power word: Shield). Is there anything like that in any other class?)

Redwing
08-11-2009, 01:03 PM
I don't understand the hate for BoP. You need to go through some type of progression to learn how to get the most from any toon you've got, so why not get your gear then? If you're talking about leveling gear, the I doubly don't get it, as you'll get what you need from quests, and bonus instance drops when you're questing in there. You change it, you kill tradeskills as anything other than raid bonuses, you give me an easy path to wealth, and you create even more twinks. You also make pugging much more risky, someone is less likely to pass or greed on stuff if he can give it to his alts, or worse, sell it.

I'd rather instance run any day than rep grind. I've still got to complete both my main's and my alt's Northrend rep grinds. If I never see the Sons of Hodir again, I'll be happy, and the Tournaments worse, and getting at least your race to champion isn't really optional any more.

Shot From Guns
08-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Shot From Guns, that's the best handbook on anything I've seen in a long time. Bravissimo!

Glad you liked it, thanks!

I love me some reflective shield. Makes me feel like a schoolyard bully: "Stop hitting yourself! Why do you keep hitting yourself! Come on, stop hitting yourself!"

I love Spell Reflect the same way. (Which is why it's a damn shame that there are so few bosses it works on.) I always cackle to myself when I pop SR and see a spell flicked back to hit its caster.

Skammer
08-11-2009, 01:06 PM
How is Discipline spec for solo questing? I've been thinking about dropping my secondary spec in Shadow in favor of Disc, but I don't want to gimp my questing ability too much. I levelled 70 to 80 as Holy and that was a marathon!

Nava
08-11-2009, 01:12 PM
This is probably a moral failing on my part, but I love it when I'm grouped with someone (same class and spec as me) who left our "social/raiding guild" for a "heavy raiding" one... and I'm doing 10% more DPS :p

Tom Scud
08-11-2009, 01:14 PM
How is Discipline spec for solo questing? I've been thinking about dropping my secondary spec in Shadow in favor of Disc, but I don't want to gimp my questing ability too much. I levelled 70 to 80 as Holy and that was a marathon!

Not sure about high levels. I'm running a level 39 and finding it very survivable (I'm able to solo mobs 5+ levels above me and deal with crowds of mobs 2 levels higher), but it's probably a lot slower than shadow or another dps build.

I have run into a quest where the slowness is a problem - it's a thing in Desolace where I have to put down a ghost magnet, and in order to do it safely I have to clear off a bunch of undead and necromancers from all around. Anyway, by the time I get my magnet set up, the skellies and necromancers are all repopping.

Ferret Herder
08-11-2009, 02:21 PM
It makes you more durable while leveling. Check out my Disc 57/Holy 14 (http://wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Sen%27jin&n=Suweerti&group=2) secondary spec, which I use for tank healing in raids or for soloing on dailies and the like. The talents do things like boost your stamina and shielding, increase the effect of insta-cast spells, improve your mana usage and regen, speeds spell casting, boosts crits, and so on. You may not have the pure damage dealing of shadow but you yourself are much tougher and a better caster, and as a bonus, you can use the spec to heal a tank in a raid.

Redwing
08-11-2009, 02:27 PM
This is probably a moral failing on my part, but I love it when I'm grouped with someone (same class and spec as me) who left our "social/raiding guild" for a "heavy raiding" one... and I'm doing 10% more DPS :p

Heh. My favorites are always the 13yr old pugs from the heavy guilds who go on and on about how good they are, and start dropping numbers. Numbers that I'm beating in a 5 man. The best part is letting them know that I'm not a main raider, and the main raiders kick my ass.

Mister Rik
08-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Did a little bit of shuffling in my vanity guild, deleting three of my alts and creating three new ones. My main reason being to have better class/race/sex diversity. I looked at the 10 toons in my guild and thought, a) 8 female toons and 2 male toons; b) 4 humans, 4 draenei, 2 night elves; c) do I really need 2 paladins and 2 warriors on the same server?; d) no hunter, no druid.

So ... I deleted my lvl 20 female human rogue and replaced her with a male gnome rogue, deleted my lvl 13 female night elf warrior and replaced her with a male night elf druid, and deleted my lvl 13 male draenei paladin and replaced him with a male dwarf hunter. So now the sex balance is 6 females/4 males, and I have every Alliance race and class represented:

Human female paladin 80
Draenei female shaman 24
Human female warlock 4 (actually my bank/AH alt)
Night elf female priest 9
Draenei female mage 20
Draenei female warrior 22
Human male death knight 59
Night elf male druid 13
Gnome male rogue 8
Dwarf male hunter 4

For those who care/are interested, here's a gallery of all my Order of the Rik (http://facebook.com/album.php?aid=125117&id=661212628&l=d4561db14b) toons :) I update the pics whenever a toon gets new gear that gives a significantly different appearance.

My pally has a new hat, as I finally sprung for a Spiked Titansteel Helm to replace the inappropriate Brilliant Titansteel Helm I'd bought earlier (all that gold down the drain :( )

I was working on leveling my new druid yesterday and encountered what I think may have been a bug/glitch. I was doing the quest Ferocitas the Dream Eater (http://wowwiki.com/Quest:Ferocitas_the_Dream_Eater), and had an inordinate amount of trouble fighting my way through the Gnarlpine Mystics because, not only were they respawning at an ridiculously fast rate (as in, I'd kill one, loot the corpse, move on to the next one, kill it, loot it, and then while I was sitting drinking, the first one I killed has respawned and is now shooting me from behind with its spells), but for some reason I wasn't getting the usual "a few seconds to get away from a newly-respawned mob before it aggroes" - I was getting attacked immediately by mobs respawning next to me. Pre-immediately, actually. The Mystics were respawning, aggroing on me, and beginning to cast their spells before they had even completely faded into existence. Normally when you see a mob spawning near you, you get a few seconds to move away before the aggro triggers, but not this time. I had translucent, barely-visible mobs already winding up to cast at me.

The result was that quest took a ridiculously long time because I couldn't "clear a path" to Ferocitas because the situation I described was forcing me to keep running like hell away from him. I finally discovered a "back way" to sneak in and whack Ferocitas. The reason I think there was a glitch somewhere is that I've done that same quest with at least six other night elf toons, including other druids, and never had that much trouble.

And then there's the Ban'ethil Barrow Den. God I hate that place! I've now been through there with seven night elves and at least one human, and I still can't figure out where the hell I'm at when I'm down in there. Though I've figured out I'm fine until I have to start killing the shamans to find the drop for that ghosty druid guy. I know where to find the four Relics of Wakening in the chests (for the quest that originally sends me in there), and I can easily find the path from the entrance all the way down to the physical form of Rageclaw at the bottom. But when I have to run around killing shamans until one of them drops that item (can't remember what it's called now), I get so turned around that I get completely lost and can't find my way back to where I need to go. I went through 23 Ice Cold Milks and a handful of Refreshing Spring Waters that mobs dropped down there simply because I had to keep killing the same mobs over and over (I didn't have Bear Form yet so had to use spells) because I was going round and round in circles. The only solutions I can think of are to just sit in one place for an extremely long time, killing and looting the nearby shamans as they respawn (as opposed to running all over the place hunting them down), or nag Blizzard to do something about the fact that the minimap in absolutely useless in places like that. I think somebody else here already mentioned that - the dungeon spirals down down down into the earth, but the map shows all the passages smooshed flat, all the same color, with no indication of depth, and what looks like an intersection is really one passage crossing over another with no way to get directly from one to the other. :mad:

The Lurker Above
08-11-2009, 02:43 PM
(It is kind of odd that the entire talent tree is built around one spell (Power word: Shield). Is there anything like that in any other class?)

I'd argue that frost mages are built entirely around shatter. Even more than disc priests are built around PW:S.

Telperien
08-11-2009, 02:46 PM
The Barrow Den drives me bonkers too. I may just avoid it. I get so lost there and everything has respawned by the time I get un-lost.

I love Hodela in the tux. Very classy. If you have the Carbonite add-on, there's an box you can check in the options to force the minimap to be a map of the indoor area you are in. I'm at work so I don't remember exactly whether the option is under Map or Map Minimap. It's very helpful for indoor areas and instances.

lizardling
08-11-2009, 02:57 PM
First Kara run last night. This was the first time most of us in the pug other than the RL had ever seen the inside of Karazhan. We cleared the first floor and ended up 6-manning Moroes and co. with 1 geared 80 DK tank, 1 holy priest, assorted DPS. RL was pleased by that since most of the pug was in the early 70s and we didn't exactly have a lot of CC to keep the adds off the tank (in fact, I ended up kiting adds away from the tank to keep them busy). Then we got Wizard of Oz, which was fun and I got to use the Python line, "NO SINGING!"

People had to go to bed after that so we'll do a fresh run later this week with as many of the same people as we can. Getting warm bodies and dealing with loot ninjas and drama, though, made me want to stab myself in the eye with a fork. A lot. :p

Afterward, I went to Sholazar for some peace and quiet while solo questing, and I'm looking forward to getting Hemet's gun and seeing what all this Oracle/Frenzyheart hullaballoo is about. :D

Jas09
08-11-2009, 03:06 PM
I'd argue that frost mages are built entirely around shatter. Even more than disc priests are built around PW:S.And Elemental Shaman are pretty heavily invested in Lightning Bolt. I've seen chart-topping Elementals with about 66% of their damage from that one attack (for comparison, Explosive Shot is my largest damage contributor at ~45%).

Mister Rik
08-11-2009, 03:19 PM
A-HA! Remember that naked sunbathing gnome on the Dalaran bank steps I mentioned who is always there and never moves? She moved! She moved! I was doing my traditional placing of a Tiny Ragdoll next to her, and she up and ran off! Holy crap! I had to follow. She ran from the bank steps to the Violet Hold, talked to Archmage Lan'dalock, then ran back to the bank steps and went to sleep. So it would appear she does actually have a purpose: checking to see what one of the VH dailies is (she didn't talk to Archmage Timear, so my guess is she's looking for a specific daily to try to get a specific piece of gear).

Speaking of Archmage Lan'dalock, Blizzard clearly had some wiseass assigning names to the toons in Dalaran. Yesterday I overheard another NPC referring to somebody named Lacenleather (it was Linda Ann Kastinglow - a great name for a mage - on Krasus' Landing who said it).

If you have the Carbonite add-on, there's an box you can check in the options to force the minimap to be a map of the indoor area you are in. I'm at work so I don't remember exactly whether the option is under Map or Map Minimap. It's very helpful for indoor areas and instances.
I'll try that out. I have Atlas, but that only works for instances.

Mister Rik
08-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Speaking of Archmage Lan'dalock, Blizzard clearly had some wiseass assigning names to the toons in Dalaran. Yesterday I overheard another NPC referring to somebody named Lacenleather (it was Linda Ann Kastinglow - a great name for a mage - on Krasus' Landing who said it).

Hmm. Okay, I suspect Lacenleather was the name of a player character who's probably Exalted with the Kirin Tor. Because Arcanist Alec just said, "Totemkai, wonderful to see you. Wonderful.", and a /who revealed that Totemkai is a player toon (and yup, I see Alec just said the same thing with a different name). I'm only Revered with the Kirin Tor, so I don't get addressed by name, I guess.

Jas09
08-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Speaking of Archmage Lan'dalock, Blizzard clearly had some wiseass assigning names to the toons in Dalaran. Yesterday I overheard another NPC referring to somebody named Lacenleather (it was Linda Ann Kastinglow - a great name for a mage - on Krasus' Landing who said it).While you are correct that the person being addressed on Krasus' landing was most likely a player (I got that treatment for the first time yesterday after getting exalted with Kirin Tor), Blizz does like the funny NPC names.

For example, the two new raid gear vendors at the Argent Tournament are Champion Isimode and Champion Faesrol. No doubt a jab at those who claim that WoW is now Easymode and all you have to do to win is Faceroll.

Shot From Guns
08-11-2009, 03:35 PM
IAnd then there's the Ban'ethil Barrow Den. God I hate that place!

Every sane person does. Barrow dens are kind of like mazes, only more sadistic. The problem is that the WoW minimap flattens all elevations--the tunnel running over your head looks exactly like the tunnel running under your feet. IMO, they should shade the passages to make the map more three-dimensional.

Hmm. Okay, I suspect Lacenleather was the name of a player character who's probably Exalted with the Kirin Tor.

Some NPCs will asskiss when you're Exalted with their faction. I've always found it hilarious. And while Lacenleather is a player, there are other silly names. For instance, did you notice that one of the wandering NPCs in Dal is a Troll named Juwannamana? Then there are the two new NPCs used to turn your character's XP on and off--their names taken together sound like "best in slots."

Mister Rik
08-11-2009, 03:53 PM
For instance, did you notice that one of the wandering NPCs in Dal is a Troll named Juwannamana?

I just spotted him yesterday, coming up the bank steps.

Nava
08-11-2009, 04:03 PM

I'd argue that frost mages are built entirely around shatter. Even more than disc priests are built around PW:S.

Shatter isn't a spell, though. It's a talent that You Better Get, specially in combination with Fingers of Frost. Shatter gives you extra crit chance against frozen targets, FoF makes your next two spells count as if the target was frozen; that means they can't walk, shatter counts and your insta-cast Ice Lance can do something decent. But neither is a spell.

Frosty the Snowgnome (and his colleagues from other races) should be able to combine Frostbolt, Ice Lance, Frost Nova, Water Elemental (with his own nova), Blizzard and Frostfire, at the very least. The instant Fireballs are nice, too (from Brain Freeze).

Mister Rik
08-11-2009, 04:46 PM
At last!

I strolled into the cave where Artruis hangs out and saw that he was yelling, so I headed in hoping to find a group of Alliance toons I could join up with. All I found was an empty room with the corpse of a dwarf. A mouseover on the corpse showed he was "Resurrectable", so I raised and healed him up. It was a dwarf hunter, and so once we were all patched up we teamed to take on Artruis, saved Jaloot, and now I can finally do Oracles dailies :)

lizardling
08-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Every sane person does. Barrow dens are kind of like mazes, only more sadistic. The problem is that the WoW minimap flattens all elevations--the tunnel running over your head looks exactly like the tunnel running under your feet. IMO, they should shade the passages to make the map more three-dimensional.

THIS SO MUCH. ARGH. That's a lot of the reason why I hate Sunken Temple and BRD so much -- hell, any place that's got lots of levels that get squished into one giant blob on a map. Gee, thanks, that's a big help when trying to get from Point A to B.

Mister Rik, I love your Ragdoll usage. :D

Mister Rik
08-11-2009, 05:58 PM
THIS SO MUCH. ARGH. That's a lot of the reason why I hate Sunken Temple and BRD so much
I actually abandoned some quests into Sunken Temple purely because I couldn't figure out how to get where I needed to go.

Mister Rik, I love your Ragdoll usage. :D
Well, she looks so adorable sitting/lying there with her big pink pigtails ...

Now I'm wondering what would happen if I launched one Paper Zeppelin after another at somebody. Could I completely fill their bags? :D

Mogle
08-11-2009, 06:39 PM
THIS SO MUCH. ARGH. That's a lot of the reason why I hate Sunken Temple and BRD so much -- hell, any place that's got lots of levels that get squished into one giant blob on a map. Gee, thanks, that's a big help when trying to get from Point A to B.

BRD has a pretty flat layout, the minimap is just useless because it's so damn big with lots of twists and turns making it pretty hard to get a feel for it, but once you've figured it out it's pretty easy.
The Sunken Temple is a maze though, I still get lost in there.

Mister Rik
08-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Dang. I guess I can forget about ever getting the Hail To The Chef achievement. It requires earning Outland Gourmet, and at least one of the required recipes (Buzzard Bites) is a quest reward. I already did the relevant quest a long time ago, and since I didn't have the Cooking profession at the time I probably just vendored or tossed the recipe :(

Is that something I can have a GM fix for me, or has too much time passed?

Quasimodem
08-11-2009, 07:49 PM
:):):)SFG: "I think I love you......"!:):):)

I know, I know: "Go and see if your diaper needs changing, old man!";)

That what you just did for me, and the time you took, was just the most wonderful thing in the whole wide world!

THANK YOU!!!!

Quasi

Quasimodem
08-11-2009, 07:57 PM
No post, no thread. Just needed to get that damn "play on words" out of my mind, so now y'all have it! ;)

Nyaaa-nya-na-na-Nah!:D

Quas'

Jas09
08-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Dang. I guess I can forget about ever getting the Hail To The Chef achievement. It requires earning Outland Gourmet, and at least one of the required recipes (Buzzard Bites) is a quest reward. I already did the relevant quest a long time ago, and since I didn't have the Cooking profession at the time I probably just vendored or tossed the recipe :(

Is that something I can have a GM fix for me, or has too much time passed?Two options. One, have a GM restore it (I'm pretty sure they will since its an achievement requirement). Two, buy it on the AH (it's not a soulbound recipe).

Quasimodem
08-11-2009, 10:27 PM
.... the game won't level me up to 39?

Thanks for any help!

Quas'

jayjay
08-11-2009, 10:35 PM
.... the game won't level me up to 39?

Thanks for any help!

Quas'

Is the XP bar all the same color or is it two different colors? You may have rested XP and that won't put you over until you earn it by fighting. Or you may be less than a bubble off...you may only need a very little bit, but it looks like your bar is full.

Quasimodem
08-11-2009, 10:40 PM
It's all blue jayjay? Do I need to go back and kill some more bad guys?

Quasimodem
08-11-2009, 10:42 PM
And I have lately been more than "less than a bubble off plumb"! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!:D:D:D

Q

jayjay
08-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Are you using the default XP bar (with the "bubbles") or a modified one? I think blue means rested XP with the default bar.

Quasimodem
08-11-2009, 10:55 PM
No, it;s blue all the way across w/ no bubbles, and it has never been a problem before. I levveled to 38 the same way, jay.

Q

jayjay
08-11-2009, 11:15 PM
No, it;s blue all the way across w/ no bubbles, and it has never been a problem before. I levveled to 38 the same way, jay.

Q

Well, it's possible you just have a little bit to go and it's so small a bit that you can't really see it. Try killing a couple more monsters.

Mister Rik
08-11-2009, 11:20 PM

Q

Go to your Interface menu and choose "Status Text", then check the box that says, "Experience Bar Text". That will show you the numbers showing exactly how much XP you have compared to how much you need. You might be just a few XP points away, and it will look like your bar is full but you won't be quite there.

ArrMatey!
08-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Well, she looks so adorable sitting/lying there with her big pink pigtails ...

Now I'm wondering what would happen if I launched one Paper Zeppelin after another at somebody. Could I completely fill their bags? :D

My gnomey has her own tiny green rag doll: I hit myself with baby spice so I'm the same size as it and 'commune' with it before particularly tough raid fights. Doing so after a couple of wipes has yeilded a 100% success rate. The TGR loves me!

As for the multiple zeps, I saw a great moment in Stormwind, think I have a screenie of it somewhere: You can run slightly faster than the zeps, so it could theoretically follow you forever if you didn't stray too far from the thrower. There was a guy running in circles while his guildies kept throwing them at him. At one point there was somewhere between 10 and 15 zeps chasing him in the circle. Both bizarre and truly amusing!
Oh, and yes, you could theoretically fill their bags. There are a few other throwables out there as well.

Quasimodem
08-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Just went back and killed me some more Yeti, and that's what it took, ah reckon!

Christ, I'm tired, little honeys!

See the blog. I'm wore out.

Q

Shot From Guns
08-12-2009, 09:44 AM

Paper Zeppelins, those leather balls, the haunted jewelry... All these things can be transferred indefinitely until the person runs out of bag space.

Is that something I can have a GM fix for me, or has too much time passed?

If the recipe is BoP, you can probably have a GM restore it for you. If it's not, they'll probably just tell you to camp the Auction House.

That what you just did for me, and the time you took, was just the most wonderful thing in the whole wide world!

Aw shucks, weren't nothin' to it. If any of it's unclear, you just let me know and I'll be happy to break it down further.

Just went back and killed me some more Yeti, and that's what it took, ah reckon!

Grats on 39! (Almost to your 100% speed land mount--only one more level!) And I'm sorry to hear about Betty. Many hugs being mentally sent your way.

Bosstone
08-12-2009, 09:57 AM
If the recipe is BoP, you can probably have a GM restore it for you. If it's not, they'll probably just tell you to camp the Auction House.Apparently, since the recipe is necessary for an achievement, GMs will get it back in your hands if you tossed it for some reason. Wowhead has some anecdotal evidence on that score.

Course, if you want to be self-sufficient about it, it's only the work of a few hours to generate a new DK, run through the starting area, run to Hell Pen and do the three-quest quest chain to get the recipe, then send it to your main. A DK should be able to do the quests easily enough at 58.

Skammer
08-12-2009, 10:16 AM
I've got the Hail to the Chef achievement (took forever to get the Stormchops recipe); now I'm working on the Chef's Hat. I need about 40 more Dalaran Cooking Awards and its mine!

I guess the next obsessive step is acquiring 160 recipes. I only have 114 right now.

Shot From Guns
08-12-2009, 10:43 AM
I guess the next obsessive step is acquiring 160 recipes.

Grats on Chef! Speaking of obsessive, I finally got my recipe for [Dirge's Kickin' Chimaerok Chops] (http://wowhead.com/?item=21025)! So, if you need literally any Cooking recipe in the game (short of Thistle Tea--screw you, Rogues), come find me on BT. :D Now I have to start freaking out about the new Thanksgiving recipes, because if they're not all obtainable in one year... Ulp.

Okay...the World of Warcraft Questions (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=498145) thread is getting reaaaally long...29 pages and over 1000 posts.

By the way, guys, this is the first post of this thread. Note the cited number of pages and posts on the previous thread, and laugh heartily.

jayjay
08-12-2009, 10:53 AM
By the way, guys, this is the first post of this thread. Note the cited number of pages and posts on the previous thread, and laugh heartily.

Yeah...I've long since looked back at that, uttered a mild "Oops!" and hoped no one would remember the post...especially since I basically sucked all the attention right out of the previous thread that Quasi started to drag everyone over here. :D

Shot From Guns
08-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah...I've long since looked back at that, uttered a mild "Oops!" and hoped no one would remember the post...especially since I basically sucked all the attention right out of the previous thread that Quasi started to drag everyone over here. :D

Like a diamond, an OP is forever. :D Looks like the previous thread was started by Mister Rik, though, not Quasi.

Tom Scud
08-12-2009, 10:59 AM
This thread is better named, anyway.

Skammer
08-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Speaking of Thanksgiving, I was looking at the World Events achievements yesterday and noticed for the first time the added achievements for Thanksgiving, Pirate's day and... one other that I forget now. And I thought Brewmaster was the only one I had left!

Thankfully Brewmaster is all I need for the Violet Proto-drake mount. But the Thanksgiving achievement comes with not just a title but a plump turkey vanity pet!

jayjay
08-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Speaking of Thanksgiving, I was looking at the World Events achievements yesterday and noticed for the first time the added achievements for Thanksgiving, Pirate's day and... one other that I forget now. And I thought Brewmaster was the only one I had left!

Thankfully Brewmaster is all I need for the Violet Proto-drake mount. But the Thanksgiving achievement comes with not just a title but a plump turkey vanity pet!

Thanksgiving? I thought that was covered with the Harvest Festival.

Shot From Guns
08-12-2009, 11:11 AM

Apparently they're expanding.

Darwin's Finch
08-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Paper Zeppelins, those leather balls, the haunted jewelry... All these things can be transferred indefinitely until the person runs out of bag space.

Happy Fun Rock, too (I picked up about a dozen of these from running Dire Maul for goblin rep...). I started randomly tossing them to fellow Hordies in Dalaran after the day's grinding.

aruvqan
08-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Yes, this. Or, alternatively, Blizz: GIVE US MORE BANK SPACE!!!

There's that whole empty line of space below the current row of bag slots in the bank vault--give us another one!

I'm sure I'm not the only person who hangs onto mementos from old raids and whatnot, outdated tier sets, cool looking weapons...please give us something to do with them. Let us send them to alts for safekeeping, designate one alt as a "special" bank alt who can hold soulbound items...even if we have to designate an item as "inactive" when the alt has it...just do something. You keep giving us more content, but you don't give us more places to put the stuff from it.

Or we can help each other make guilds for the bank space .... you roll up alts, and make it your guild bank, and it has its own private guild. I can roll up either horde or alliance on any server on 2 accounts to sign charters... if you would help me by rolling up a random alt on my servers to sign guild charters for me ... you can send almost any tradeskill item to your bankerbot ... it is amazing how much space you have when you dont have stacks of tradeskill items hanging around in your bank, and sending from one char to another on the same account is instant..,

Darwin's Finch
08-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Course, if you want to be self-sufficient about it, it's only the work of a few hours to generate a new DK, run through the starting area, run to Hell Pen and do the three-quest quest chain to get the recipe, then send it to your main. A DK should be able to do the quests easily enough at 58.

This is what I did to obtain the Alliance-only recipes. Since they weren't showing up on the AHs, I deleted my Horde DK, started a new Alliance DK, did all the quests with recipe rewards, then, with the help of a friend, transferred them to my Horde toon via the neutral AH.

aruvqan
08-12-2009, 11:21 AM
You just take care of Ms. Aruvqan! :) I have SFG, jayjay, Mister Rik, Mogle, Bosstone (if I left anyone out, consider the source, please!) to keep me out of trouble.

And, as the conductor (Tom Hanks) said to the little girl in Polar Express: "I'd follow you anywhere, young lady!"

Bill/Quasi/Wolkie/Silka

Ha, I knew you were watching my elfs ass!:D

Tom Scud
08-12-2009, 11:23 AM

Apparently they're expanding.

They have to give the people with more than half a decade in the game SOMETHING to do between expansions.

(For myself, I'm not sure what I'm going to do once I get my disc priest up to 60. So far, I've been able to level pretty much exclusively in areas my previous 0-80character never touched, or only touched lightly: Tirisfal Glades -> Ghostlands -> Ashenvale -> Camp T area of Barrens -> 1000 Needles -> Stranglethorn -> Desolace, and now back in Stranglethorn doing more quests. Up next: probably Feralas and the Swamp of Sorrows and maybe Azshara.

I'm not sure what I'll do for level 52-58 as my original hopped around most of the areas rather than seeing one of them through. And my DK spent a lot of time in Un'Goro and Silithus while he was levelling up his mining (and later getting the Champion of Cenarius achievement). Probably go check out the Plaguelands.

Shot From Guns
08-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Or we can help each other make guilds for the bank space

That doesn't solve the problem of storing Soulbound items, though, which is the specific issue we were discussing. Even if you sent all of the unbound stuff to your mules (which I do), that still leaves the problem of what to do with all the Soulbound stuff you want to keep.

aruvqan
08-12-2009, 11:34 AM
And then there's the Ban'ethil Barrow Den. God I hate that place! I've now been through there with seven night elves and at least one human, and I still can't figure out where the hell I'm at when I'm down in there. Though I've figured out I'm fine until I have to start killing the shamans to find the drop for that ghosty druid guy. I know where to find the four Relics of Wakening in the chests (for the quest that originally sends me in there), and I can easily find the path from the entrance all the way down to the physical form of Rageclaw at the bottom. But when I have to run around killing shamans until one of them drops that item (can't remember what it's called now), I get so turned around that I get completely lost and can't find my way back to where I need to go. I went through 23 Ice Cold Milks and a handful of Refreshing Spring Waters that mobs dropped down there simply because I had to keep killing the same mobs over and over (I didn't have Bear Form yet so had to use spells) because I was going round and round in circles. The only solutions I can think of are to just sit in one place for an extremely long time, killing and looting the nearby shamans as they respawn (as opposed to running all over the place hunting them down), or nag Blizzard to do something about the fact that the minimap in absolutely useless in places like that. I think somebody else here already mentioned that - the dungeon spirals down down down into the earth, but the map shows all the passages smooshed flat, all the same color, with no indication of depth, and what looks like an intersection is really one passage crossing over another with no way to get directly from one to the other. :mad:
Well, it helps to realize that there is a *second* tunnel that runs from where you have to kill Rageclaw that runs up to where the dead druid is ... it is sort of a funky double helix. I have run the damned thing enough times I have it memorized *sigh* I know back in closed beta I ran it over 100 times in one day tweaking it for spawn location. If it would help, take one of your seriously higher level toons into it and run it until you have the tunnels memorized - then you will have 4 or 5 more tunnel systems memorized [it is duplicated in Stonetalon, and Ashenvale, and um ... ferales if memory serves. If you are alliance, you can just walk around the one in stonetalon as it has cenarius druids inhabiting it, and as long as you have good faction with them they wont try to kill you.

aruvqan
08-12-2009, 11:36 AM
The Barrow Den drives me bonkers too. I may just avoid it. I get so lost there and everything has respawned by the time I get un-lost.

I love Hodela in the tux. Very classy. If you have the Carbonite add-on, there's an box you can check in the options to force the minimap to be a map of the indoor area you are in. I'm at work so I don't remember exactly whether the option is under Map or Map Minimap. It's very helpful for indoor areas and instances.

Isnt carbonite still broken?

I use alpha map myself, it locates the bosses and other points of interest, and tracks with cute little tombstones which bosses.elites.rares you have killed. Very handy.

Bosstone
08-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Well, it helps to realize that there is a *second* tunnel that runs from where you have to kill Rageclaw that runs up to where the dead druid is ... it is sort of a funky double helix.It's not that hard a map at all, although it can be confusing. It's a triangle, basically, consisting of the first room, the room with Rageclaw's spirit (the quest giver), and the room with Rageclaw's body. Each is connected to the others by a single tunnel.

B
/|
Exit-F |
\|
S

F=First room (2 relics)
B=Rageclaw's body (1 relic)
S=Rageclaw's spirit (1 relic guarded by named furbolg)

jayjay
08-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Although it should be noted that the relic by Rageclaw's spirit is actually in a chamber more or less underneath the chamber with the spirit, and the relic by Rageclaw's body is actually in a side chamber off of a chamber more or less above the "circle room" where Rageclaw's body actually walks around.

Skammer
08-12-2009, 01:45 PM
I have a 46 pally and my friend has a 45 priest and since level 20 we've leveled exclusively by doing dungeon runs. I tank, he heals, and we get dps from the SDMB guild or, if necessary, with pugs. (He and/or I can also dps if we get a better tank or healer).

We run (almost) every Wednesday night, on Cairne, starting around 8:45-9:00 pm (Central/server time). We try to be done by 10:30-11:00. This is an open invitation to anyone with a toon on Cairne who wants to join us whether you are in the SDMB guild or not. We are looking for toons reasonably level-appropriate; not runthroughs by level 80s.

Tonight, 8/12, well be running Mara again -- probably the orange side. Once we hit level 48, we'll move on to Sunken Temple.

If you want to join us tonight or any night, /w or send an ingame message to Rillian to get in the group.

Mister Rik
08-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Hmm. I do have a human DK, so I suppose I could run him up there to do it. Checking WowHead (http://wowhead.com/?item=27684), though, it's apparently not soulbound, so I'll check the AH and maybe contact a GM first.

Like a diamond, an OP is forever. :D Looks like the previous thread was started by Mister Rik, though, not Quasi.
It was me me me! Actually, I think I did jokingly mention a couple thousand posts back (no, I'm not searching for it) that this thread had exceeded the post count of my thread and maybe we should start a new one, but everybody just ignored me :(

Happy Fun Rock, too (I picked up about a dozen of these from running Dire Maul for goblin rep...). I started randomly tossing them to fellow Hordies in Dalaran after the day's grinding.
I found one of those on an ogre outside Dire Maul a long time ago, and I've made a number of unsuccessful attempts since then to auction it off, but I've never been able to find a taker. I finally got tired of it taking up bank space, but because I wasn't sure how rare the thing was i didn't want to just destroy it. I finally just stood in SW and threw it at people until somebody didn't throw it back.

I was working on leveling my draenei warrior (got her to 24), and did that quest where I got sent to Lakeshire to talk to a dwarf who was issuing a "challenge" to warriors. Whee! That was fun, even if it was too easy - running through the Rethban mine and fighting gnolls ... DRUNK! Since that quest (hey, I'm an Arms warrior - what am I supposed to do with this shield?) leads to the one where another dwarf offers to make me some fancy armor, I take it all Alliance warriors get this quest at around the same level? I think I got it at level 20 or 21. My orc warrior got a similar quest in the Barrens.

I do find it kind of curious that you get handed a list of materials to gather, but are not given any clue as to where to find said materials. I know I can look it up online nowadays, but was the original intent that you would just stumble upon the stuff? I figure that must be the reason the quest level is so much higher than your actual character level when you get the quest (in this case, it's a level 28 quest, handed to me at level 22). In the case of this draenei warrior, I did indeed randomly discover one of the items - the 50 Scorched Spider Fangs - while I was in the Wetlands working on another quest. I happened to pass my mouse over one of the spiders in the Wetlands and saw I was supposed to kill it for a quest, and saw that they had the Scorched Spider Fangs. I'm sure glad most of them dropped 2 fangs, because that would have taken a long time at 1 fang each.

What puzzles me is that, when I did the hammer quest on my human pally, I'm positive the questgiver told me where to go to get the materials, though I could be misremembering, since that was months ago. So I was confused when my belf pally did the equivalent quest and wasn't told the locations (and now the same with my warriors).

Bosstone
08-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Check your inventory. You're given a shopping list (http://wowhead.com/?item=6842) when Furen gives you the quest.

lizardling
08-12-2009, 02:30 PM
I hit 80 last night when I turned in the post-Frenzyheart quest to the High Oracle guy in Sholazar after stumbling around trying to figure out how to open them up. Dinged, did a dance for my first 80 evar. :D

I still think the Oracles are a little creepy. (momma said never trust something with a mouthful of teeth THAT big... )

Tom, the Plaguelands are two of my favorite zones in vanilla for the sheer lore involved. I'd definitely say go for it.

Skammer, that's a mighty tempting offer and I'll keep it in mind.

Shot From Guns
08-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Since that quest (hey, I'm an Arms warrior - what am I supposed to do with this shield?) leads to the one where another dwarf offers to make me some fancy armor, I take it all Alliance warriors get this quest at around the same level?

Yup. All classes have Class-specific quests for various weapons, bits of armor, etc.

Skammer
08-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Congratulations on 80 lizard! And seriously, think about joining our Wed night dungeon runs. I'm excited because we're getting close to the instances that no one does anymore (ST, BRD, DM, etc). Even Mara -- I had never done it before this toon and we've found it's hard to get a pug for it a lot of the time.

Mister Rik
08-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Check your inventory. You're given a shopping list (http://wowhead.com/?item=6842) when Furen gives you the quest.

D'OH! :smack:

Yeticus Rex
08-12-2009, 03:42 PM
I've got the Hail to the Chef achievement (took forever to get the Stormchops recipe); now I'm working on the Chef's Hat. I need about 40 more Dalaran Cooking Awards and its mine!

I guess the next obsessive step is acquiring 160 recipes. I only have 114 right now.

Still missing the Kibbler's Bits and Broiled Bloodfin recipes for "The Outland Gormet", that's still a toughie unless the new patch made it easier to obtain since these are low percentage finds for the Rokk's rewards. This is really the only thing I need for the title "Chef", but I would like to finish the whole list of cooking achievements.....

I'm at 142/160 recipes learned for "Chef de Cusine".....mostly picking up cheaper Alliance recipes at a neutral AH, some of them for only 2 or 3 gold, others I've spent up to 10g. You can also buy Horde recipes and put them on the neutral AH for the same amounts so it kind of works like a straight up trade or a cheaper way to get the achievement.

At 89/100 Dalaran cooking awards......so that will come soon if I keep grinding.

And then the final achievement is getting the Chef's hat.......just straight up grinding and no luck involved there.

Shot From Guns
08-12-2009, 03:58 PM
I hit 80 last night

As a guildmate use to say, "Rats! Big ones! From the Congo!" Woohoo!

Telperien
08-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Isnt carbonite still broken?

I use alpha map myself, it locates the bosses and other points of interest, and tracks with cute little tombstones which bosses.elites.rares you have killed. Very handy.

It's been fixed. It was useless for the first couple of days after the patch, though.

Gary Robson
08-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Or we can help each other make guilds for the bank space .... you roll up alts, and make it your guild bank, and it has its own private guild. I can roll up either horde or alliance on any server on 2 accounts to sign charters... if you would help me by rolling up a random alt on my servers to sign guild charters for me ... you can send almost any tradeskill item to your bankerbot ... it is amazing how much space you have when you dont have stacks of tradeskill items hanging around in your bank, and sending from one char to another on the same account is instant..,This works very well. I used to have two bank toons, and then we decided to shut down our little lowbie fun guild. I kept the guild with its two-tab guild bank, deleted one of the bank toons, and bought all the bank slots for the other, filling them with 16-slot bags I had left over. That little dude has a *ton* of space, and since I started using ArkInventory, it's auto-sorted and easy to find stuff.

Having enough room to hold onto stuff when it's selling cheap on the AH makes a big difference. Saronite on my server is going for about half of what it was two weeks ago, so I'm just accumulating it until it goes back up. I also keep 10-12 stacks of every kind of cloth used in first aid, just to help my next toon level through it easily without being subject to the vagaries of the AH pricing.

lizardling
08-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Hee, thanks, guys. :D

In the back of my head there's this little blue troll having a minor fit over what to do next now that she's hit level cap. Practically though, I expect I'll quest some more through Icecrown to get stuck into the higher zone Northrend rep and gear grinds. Well, and grinding Sporeggar and Kalu'ak rep for funsies and pets. :D

That said, I've been comparing both the Blizzard and the RatingsBuster systems of crunching gear data, and there's discrepancies. I'm not sure how the math adds up since I haven't sat down to run the numbers, but it is rather noticeable. Has anyone figured out which one is more 'reliable'?

Mogle
08-12-2009, 05:50 PM
That said, I've been comparing both the Blizzard and the RatingsBuster systems of crunching gear data, and there's discrepancies. I'm not sure how the math adds up since I haven't sat down to run the numbers, but it is rather noticeable. Has anyone figured out which one is more 'reliable'?
I think(but I haven't done any number crunching) the difference is that:
1) RatingBuster takes talents into account, Blizzard's system doesn't.
2) RatingBuster will show the total effect on the derived stats, eg attack power, mana, health, crit chance.

Both are probably reliable but Blizzard's is, imo, quite useless since it just tells you the raw stat differences between the items and not how they actually affect you.

Quasimodem
08-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Hey SFG:)

I went through all the steps, but one tripped me up and I haven't been able to get it to create a filter.

Here's what I did:

1. Went through all the drop-downs and went over to CHEST and clicked on it.

2. What came up was a list of like 200 plate chest pieces (400? could have been displayed)

3. Tried to create filter and filled in Wolkie's real name at the top ) "Wolkenlaufre"

4. But then I saw these 2 rectangular boxes with hyphens between them.

5. One asked for LEVEL (and I put 39 in the first box - didn't know WHAT to put in the second)

6. The other one asked for LEVEL REQUIRED, and I put in 35-45

7. Filled out all the rest of the info and clicked APPLY FILTER and got a message that nothing meeting my criteria could be found.

So that is where I am now.

Also tried to go to the WEAPONS section for 2-handed swords and the whole thing just dropped away - couldn't click on it, IOW.

I know what I'm doing wrong has to do with those two boxes, but don't how to correct it.

Thanks for your help!

Quasi

Quasimodem
08-12-2009, 11:59 PM
.... and although my guardian did help me kill one Syndicate Spy in Stratham (sp), he wasn't able to help me when I got triple teamed going after a Syndicate Mage, and I died (again! :smack:).

So right now I'm wating to rez in the graveyard of the Alterac Ruins.

Question: I have this dog for ten minutes and we only used up about three when I got killed. Does his usable time time freeze or am I going to lose his protection?

Thanks

Q

BTW: I won the three charges as drops. Pretty cool having a guardian at level 39! :)

Oh, yeah: I'm at 1250 XP on the way to 77+k. Gonna be a laong haul! :)

Quasimodem
08-13-2009, 12:09 AM
That damn dog is useless! Just got killed again by a Syndicate Spy and Hulking Tiger!

When the tiger came up, I thought I'd let the dog handle the Spy, but I think all he can do is growl.

Maybe I'm expecting him to fight when that's not really his role?

And yeah, I lost the first one when I died.

Q

Mogle
08-13-2009, 03:59 AM
3. Tried to create filter and filled in Wolkie's real name at the top ) "Wolkenlaufre"

The name of the item you're looking for, not your character's name. Since you're not looking for a specific item just leave this blank.

5. One asked for LEVEL (and I put 39 in the first box - didn't know WHAT to put in the second)

This is the item level. All items have a level that determines how powerful they're supposed be. You can leave this blank, though in this case it didn't do much since you left the right box empty you only excluded items with an item level below 39, and there are no plate items below item level 40.

7. Filled out all the rest of the info and clicked APPLY FILTER and got a message that nothing meeting my criteria could be found.

Yep, because there is no chestpiece called Wolkenlaufre.

That damn dog is useless! Just got killed again by a Syndicate Spy and Hulking Tiger!

When the tiger came up, I thought I'd let the dog handle the Spy, but I think all he can do is growl.

Maybe I'm expecting him to fight when that's not really his role?

And yeah, I lost the first one when I died.

Q
Summoned pets like that are a useless gimmick at best and a liability at worst since they will attack anything in sight and can't be controlled by you.

Shot From Guns
08-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I went through all the steps, but one tripped me up and I haven't been able to get it to create a filter.

Okay! Here's what you do. The only two sections you want to pay any attention to are Required level and Quality. For Required level, put in a range that extends below and above your current one. (Since Wolkie is about 38, I used 35-45 in the example (http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2292/wowhead07.jpg).) Then click on one of the quality levels. I used Rare (blue) because that's going to a good upgrade.

If you look at the linked screenshot, you can see that "35" and "45" are filled in by Required level, and "Rare" is highlighted over on the right under Quality.

Everything else you can leave blank.

In the back of my head there's this little blue troll having a minor fit over what to do next now that she's hit level cap.

IMO, this is where the fun starts! First, start running Heroics. Definitely get into ToC and Heroic ToC--this is the best 5-man gear in the game. Once you've ditched your greens, you can start running Naxx with your guild, or looking for PuGs. (Try searching YouTube for Tankspot's how-to guides, posted by a user named Ciderhelm. They're some of the best raid boss guides out there, and they're useful for everyone--not just tanks.)

Question: I have this dog for ten minutes and we only used up about three when I got killed. Does his usable time time freeze or am I going to lose his protection?

He's up for 10 minutes with each charge, unless he's killed or you die. Then you lose any of that remaining time. (You got the collar that summons him off a guy in the crypts underneath the Raven Hill cemetary, right? I got that once, too! :D)

Unfortunately, this is one of those items that sounds a lot cooler and more useful than it ends up being, due to some poor design on Blizzard's part. You can't control the pet at all, and IIRC it's set permanently to "Aggressive" mode: it's going to run off and attack anything it sees, regardless of whether or not you want it to attack that thing. So you can't tell it what enemy you want it to attack, you can't tell it to stop attacking, you can't tell it to only attack things that attack you, you can't tell it to just ignore everything and keep running... :(

Skammer
08-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Is anyone familir with Maraudon?

We ran it last night, both wings up to Celebras. I had both the pieces for the scepter, which I handed in. Then there's a second piece to the quest where you have to read this book he summons - you turn that in and he gives you the scepter.

I did the first part and read the book, but I didn't realize I had to talk to Celebras to finish the quest and I hearthed out. Now, I don't really need the scepter (it's just a staff with +Int and +Spi), but I hate to give up the XP for the quest. So I need to get back to him.

I can use the portal near the instance entrance to skip to the falls. Once I get there, is it possible to get back up to Celebras? Or do I have to go all the way through the Orange/Purple wing to get to him again? I'm trying to avoid having to do the whole instance again.

Tom Scud
08-13-2009, 12:09 PM
This seems like a situation where getting an 80 to run you is perfectly acceptable practice. (If this is on Cairne/Burning Dog Legion, I'd be happy to help - Muzungu is my 80 but I'm more frequently on Rumpole these days).

Mister Rik
08-13-2009, 12:19 PM
I can use the portal near the instance entrance to skip to the falls. Once I get there, is it possible to get back up to Celebras? Or do I have to go all the way through the Orange/Purple wing to get to him again? I'm trying to avoid having to do the whole instance again.

LOL - took me a while to figure that one out, too. If you get out of the water and into those lower caves and go to your right (as you're facing away from the pool), there's a kind of roundabout path back up to Celebras.

Skammer
08-13-2009, 12:28 PM
This seems like a situation where getting an 80 to run you is perfectly acceptable practice. (If this is on Cairne/Burning Dog Legion, I'd be happy to help - Muzungu is my 80 but I'm more frequently on Rumpole these days).
Thanks Tom; this is Rillian in BDL. Kene is my main but I can't run myself through!

If we can start from the falls and go up the ramp, it should go very quick. I just can't solo more than 2 elite mobs at a time :D

Mister Rik
08-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Big Annoyance of the Day: I got around to finally reaching lvl 25 with my draenei shaman yesterday. Yay, she can wear a hat now! So off she went to the AH to look at hats, where she found only two leather helms she could wear. Both "requires level 25", both with level-appropriate stats like +2 Strength, +3 Spirit, both ordinary green items ... and both for sale by the same guy for 240-245 gold. :confused::confused:

Useless Item of the Day: My belf paladin found a "Requires level 36" mail helm with "+23 Nature Spell Damage" on it. Yay randomness :p

Curious Question of the Day: Have the Bloodsail Buccaneers near Booty Bay always had custom art? How do they rate custom art? And why only the male Bloodsails? Yarrrr!

Weirdness of the Week: My main (lvl 80 human pally) has recently put several stacks of Saronite Ore on the AH, only to have them come back a couple days later as "Auction Expired". Then she mails them off to my AH/bank alt, who posts them at the same price, and they sell almost immediately. This has happened several times now. Very odd.

Anybody else use the TourGuide (http://jamewowpro.blogspot.com/2009/01/james-leveling-addon-work-in-progress.html) addon, which integrates Jame's Leveling Guide (http://wow-pro.com/node/754) into the game? I've started using it just to speed things up a bit, and following the instructions does seem to make for quicker leveling just because it cuts out a lot of unnecessary running back and forth. The only tricky part is picking up with it on a toon that's already got several levels. The guides are broken up into "chapters" for different level ranges, so my belf paladin for example was already to level 41 and started with the guide chapter to go levels 42-43 in STV. But since the guide assumes you're starting at level 1 and progressing through the "chapters" in order, sometimes a higher-level chapter will have instructions to turn in a quest that it told you to pick up in a previous chapter, so it can be a little confusing trying to figure out what you missed.

Tom Scud
08-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Useless Item of the Day: My belf paladin found a "Requires level 36" mail helm with "+23 Nature Spell Damage" on it. Yay randomness :p

Could be nice for an elemental shaman (don't they get mail at level 40?)

jayjay
08-13-2009, 01:17 PM

That's what I was going to post. Yes, shamans get mail at 40.

I had tour guide for a while, but this was well after I'd become fairly familiar with most of the quests in all of the newbie zones, and I found that I was doing a lot more running around if I followed TG exclusively because it had me doing things that were widely separated consecutively instead of simply grabbing and doing all the quests in one area (say, Sen'jin Village) before going off to to quests in another area (Razor Hill). It had me going back and forth, apparently going strictly by quest level. It just didn't strike me as very efficient.

Skammer
08-13-2009, 01:28 PM

I had tour guide for a while, but this was well after I'd become fairly familiar with most of the quests in all of the newbie zones, and I found that I was doing a lot more running around if I followed TG exclusively because it had me doing things that were widely separated consecutively instead of simply grabbing and doing all the quests in one area (say, Sen'jin Village) before going off to to quests in another area (Razor Hill). It had me going back and forth, apparently going strictly by quest level. It just didn't strike me as very efficient.
This is why I like QuestHelper - it has you do your quests in a pretty efficient order to reduce running back and forth, and you can adjust the level filter so it will only point you to do quests that are 1 level above your, or 2, or 3 or whatever you set it at.

Bosstone
08-13-2009, 01:43 PM
This is why I like QuestHelper - it has you do your quests in a pretty efficient order to reduce running back and forth, and you can adjust the level filter so it will only point you to do quests that are 1 level above your, or 2, or 3 or whatever you set it at.I find its ordering algorithm to be suspect at times, though. If I'm in location A, it'll tell me the next objective is at location B, and from there I should go to C, D, then back to A. During transit to or upon reaching B, suddenly it'll decide I need to go to F next instead. It doesn't always happen, but it happens enough that I generally ignore the order of quests and decide that for myself. Everything else it does is very very handy, though, and the recent update of coloring in the areas where I can complete the next objective is really nice.

Skammer
08-13-2009, 01:59 PM
I find its ordering algorithm to be suspect at times, though. If I'm in location A, it'll tell me the next objective is at location B, and from there I should go to C, D, then back to A. During transit to or upon reaching B, suddenly it'll decide I need to go to F next instead. It doesn't always happen, but it happens enough that I generally ignore the order of quests and decide that for myself. Everything else it does is very very handy, though, and the recent update of coloring in the areas where I can complete the next objective is really nice. Yes, but if that happens I just tell QH to ignore whatever quest I don't want to do at that time. There are also occasional glitches when it will send me on a quest inside a dungeon that I would need a group for.

One thing I love (and this is with or without QH) is coming back into town and handing in five or six quests at once. Whee!

Bosstone
08-13-2009, 02:03 PM
One thing I love (and this is with or without QH) is coming back into town and handing in five or six quests at once. Whee!Absolutely, especially in the early levels. I've been playing my baby Druid off and on in Bloodmyst Isle, and there's something very satisfying about gaining a level through rested XP, then returning to base and handing in enough quests to gain almost another level right there.

Shot From Guns
08-13-2009, 02:27 PM
So off she went to the AH to look at hats, where she found only two leather helms she could wear. Both "requires level 25", both with level-appropriate stats like +2 Strength, +3 Spirit, both ordinary green items ... and both for sale by the same guy for 240-245 gold.

It's because they're the earliest ones you can get. People gouge on the price. Hell, I've seen white (or sometimes even gray) shoulders and helms for the minimum level going for ridiculous prices.

My main (lvl 80 human pally) has recently put several stacks of Saronite Ore on the AH, only to have them come back a couple days later as "Auction Expired". Then she mails them off to my AH/bank alt, who posts them at the same price, and they sell almost immediately.

That's the AH for you: it's all about timing. You can list a bunch of something for weeks and have it keep getting returned to you, and then suddenly someone needs it and they buy up everything in sight.

I find its ordering algorithm to be suspect at times, though.

I re-prioritize quests a decent amount of the time. (Right-click on a map objective, go the option called something like "Priority," and adjust accordingly.) I can't wait until they bring the "/qh find" option back, though (unless they did with the latest version), even if they just start with coordinates instead of NPC names.

Gary Robson
08-13-2009, 02:40 PM
IMO, this is where the fun starts! First, start running Heroics. Definitely get into ToC and Heroic ToC--this is the best 5-man gear in the game. Once you've ditched your greens, you can start running Naxx with your guild, or looking for PuGs.Took me five minutes of Googling to figure out what the heck ToC is. Everything either linked me to Warcraft Table of Contents files or to forums where everybody knows the abbreviations and never spells it out.

Anyway, how good do you have to be with jousting to run Trial of Champions? We can't get broadband out at my house (no cable TV, DSL, etc.), so my Internet is satellite, which has a latency of 800 to 1200 ms. I tried jousting a couple of times and just couldn't react fast enough. Do I need to hang out after work and use my office computer to joust for a while before being able to run it?

Ferret Herder
08-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Anyway, how good do you have to be with jousting to run Trial of Champions? We can't get broadband out at my house (no cable TV, DSL, etc.), so my Internet is satellite, which has a latency of 800 to 1200 ms. I tried jousting a couple of times and just couldn't react fast enough. Do I need to hang out after work and use my office computer to joust for a while before being able to run it?
It's not that big of a deal. If your connection sucks, just hang back and take shots when you can; let your group know what your issue is. The jousting portion is that three groups of three go out, one group at a time - just charge as often as you can and keep your 3 shields up. Perhaps in your situation, you might find just shield breaking for your teammates to be better. When you have all 3 unhorsed, the next group goes. If you get too beat up, ride over to a spare mount (while your mount still has enough life in him to get there) and click over to the spare to get a fresh one. After the third group, then the three bosses come out and joust. After all three are unhorsed, everyone gets dumped off their mounts and the fight starts in earnest.

Unlike most instances, you can run back inside during a "boss fight", so use that to your advantage if need be.

Telperien
08-13-2009, 03:06 PM
I made myself an Endless Mana Potion and an Endless Healing Potion. Now I don't have to carry around all those other healing and mana potions, though I do keep certain other potions around. They're alchemist-only, however. The SO was very jealous when I showed him. I also have been profiting very well from three new recipes I learned in Dalaran: Transmute Titanium (8 Saronite Bars=1 Titanium Bar), Skyflare Diamond, and Earthsiege Diamond. I've almost maxed my Alchemy. It's at 435 now, IIRC, and I should be able to hit 450 by the weekend at least.

I'm trying to make flasks and transmutes since they're the only things left that give me skillups, but the flasks aren't as easy since all of them (I think) require Frost Lotus, which is selling for 20 to 25 gold for one on my server. They don't appear often out in the world; sometimes you get one when you pick a Lichbloom. I'm still saving for Cold Weather Flying so I am trying to do the most profitable things now and the flasks aren't that at the moment.

Shot From Guns
08-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Took me five minutes of Googling to figure out what the heck ToC is. Everything either linked me to Warcraft Table of Contents files or to forums where everybody knows the abbreviations and never spells it out.

Whoops, mea culpa.

Anyway, how good do you have to be with jousting to run Trial of Champions?

You can completely blow. If your group wipes before you take all three named jousters off their mounts, when you zone back in, they'll all be dismounted. It will also reset them if you just all zone out. (I'm not sure what would happen if you wiped on the unnamed adds that you start with.)

We usually have the person with the least jousting experience work as our "trampler." When you're fighting the three named jousters, any time one of them is unhorsed, you have to keep running over them to keep them on the ground, or they'll walk over to a new mount and you'll have to kill them again. (Not from 100% HP, though, fortunately.) You kill the jousters as close together as possible, and the trampler just rides back and forth over them, spamming their #2 ability (Shield Breaker?) at whatever jousters are still up.

Shot From Guns
08-13-2009, 03:15 PM
I made myself an Endless Mana Potion and an Endless Healing Potion.

Depending on how often you use those, you might want to just use Crazy Alch. IIRC the Endless versions give you significantly less HP/Mana. Of course, you still have to pick up the Goldclover to make the Crazy Alch ones.

but the flasks aren't as easy since all of them (I think) require Frost Lotus, which is selling for 20 to 25 gold for one on my server.

All flasks require 1 Frost Lotus. AFAIK, Frost Lotus can drop off of any Northrend herb, but it has a higher chance to drop off the higher level ones, so farm as much Lichbloom and Icethorn as you can. In Freya's room in Ulduar, there are actually Frost Lotus plants, which I nearly peed myself over the first time I was in there. (Aaaaaand I was the only Herbalist in the group!)

Ferret Herder
08-13-2009, 03:29 PM
All flasks require 1 Frost Lotus. AFAIK, Frost Lotus can drop off of any Northrend herb, but it has a higher chance to drop off the higher level ones, so farm as much Lichbloom and Icethorn as you can.
Not to mention that you get two flasks from one combine, and that alchemists have the effect for double the time.

Telperien
08-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Depending on how often you use those, you might want to just use Crazy Alch. IIRC the Endless versions give you significantly less HP/Mana. Of course, you still have to pick up the Goldclover to make the Crazy Alch ones.

All flasks require 1 Frost Lotus. AFAIK, Frost Lotus can drop off of any Northrend herb, but it has a higher chance to drop off the higher level ones, so farm as much Lichbloom and Icethorn as you can. In Freya's room in Ulduar, there are actually Frost Lotus plants, which I nearly peed myself over the first time I was in there. (Aaaaaand I was the only Herbalist in the group!)

I'd been using the Mad Alchemist's Potions ever since I learned them, actually. I do keep a few around now but I don't need to use them as much now as I used to.

I'm in Storm Peaks now and picking like mad. I often start to saunter toward an herb, see a mob in my path, and send my pet after it so I can pick the herb in peace.

Mister Rik
08-13-2009, 03:48 PM

Okay, I'd completely forgotten about the shaman's Earth Shock and Lightning Bolt spells doing nature damage. The Lightning Bolt in particular kind of crossed me up - every other fantasy game I've played, including Diablo II, classifies lightning-based spells as "lightning/electricity damage"; of course, WoW doesn't have "lightning damage" per se, but I guess my brain figured it would be counted as fire damage or something.

Yeah, in newbie zones it's not that much of a help, just because of the limited number of quests. But I think the point of TG becomes more clear at higher levels. From what I've seen so far, if you follow the sequence of action it suggests you find yourself turning in a large number of quests in the same location all at once, whereupon a number of other quests become available in that location. In some places it has you accept Quests A, B, and C (while ignoring other nearby questgivers), then directs you to go work on Quest B, which puts you in close proximity of the "out in the world" NPC who hands out Quest D, who sends you to talk to Questgiver E, who wants to send you back to town, and who happens to be in close proximity to the mobs you need to kill for Quest A, who are also near the mobs for Quest C. Then once you've gotten what you need for Quests A and C, it sends you back to town where you get to hand in Quests A, B, C and E all at once, triggering a new sequence of quests.

So what it's really doing is cutting out the guesswork and greatly reducing the amount of running back and forth you might otherwise do. I suppose if you're intimately familiar with a zone and already know where all the different mobs and "out of town" questgivers are, you could probably figure out an efficient path for yourself, and in that case QuestHelper is probably just as useful, But the one problem I've found with QH is that, barring manually assigning priorities to quests, it almost always points at whatever goal is closest to your current location and, importantly, only for quests that are already in your quest log, and without regard to whether a quest is too high-level for you at the moment. Also, QH doesn't show you the level of a quest until you've already accepted it, which can result in a log full of quests that are currently too high-level for you (hello Stranglethorn Vale! My past experience in Grom'Gol has shown me that I get there, complete the first few quests that are offered which happen to be close to my character level, and then the next quests in the chains leap up by several levels and are too difficult to do right now, so they sit there in my log while I wander around trying to locate more appropriate quests).

What TG does is try put you on the most efficient path while keeping your log uncluttered. By directing you to take only certain quests, you keep you log limited to just those that you can actually do right now. Then it will direct you to accept one particular quest, which is level-appropriate and which sends you to an area where you can pick up more level-appropriate quests. Of course, the flip-side of finding yourself under-leveled for the nearby quests is finding yourself over-leveled for the nearby quests. And if you're over-leveling the quests you're not getting maximum XP, so at some point TG will just have you ignore the remaining quests in a location and will send you elsewhere. This also eliminates the problem of "Okay, I've hit level 31 ... let's see, there are six zones labeled as being 'Level 31-40' ... which one do I go to, and where do I find the questgivers there who will give me level-31 quests?" TG will point you right to them, and will probably first point you to an NPC in your current zone who wants to send you to them.

TG also points you at obscure questgivers you might otherwise miss. It pointed one of my draenei toons to a questgiver on Silvermyst Isle (the little island off the SW of Azuremyst) I never even knew existed (the daughter of that sad nelf fisherman who thinks his whole family is dead - you get to escort her back to him). The quest reward was something I would have found extremely useful had I gotten it at the appropriate level. I was sure I had done every single quest in that zone, but it turned out I hadn't.

I find its ordering algorithm to be suspect at times, though. If I'm in location A, it'll tell me the next objective is at location B, and from there I should go to C, D, then back to A. During transit to or upon reaching B, suddenly it'll decide I need to go to F next instead.
The current problem I'm having is that, no matter where I am, it insists on pointing my main to various flight points and zone borders to do that Betrayal quest in Zul'Drak. Even if I'm currently in, say, Tanaris or even Shattrath. This, regardless of how many times I'd directed QH to ignore that particular quest/location - it always comes back each time I log that toon in.

Everything else it does is very very handy, though, and the recent update of coloring in the areas where I can complete the next objective is really nice.
I really like that new feature. Before I'd always run to the spot indicated on the map, and then aimlessly wander around trying to locate the target mob, or wondering why the hell it wasn't spawning. Like the quest from Priestess A'moora in Darnassus to kill that spider matriarch, Lady Mynamesoundstoomuchlikeshattrathtoremember. The mob actually has three different places it can spawn, but previous versions of QH only indicated the nearest spawn point and gave no indication there were other possible locations. The first time I did that quest I camped that one spot for nearly an hour.

It's because they're the earliest ones you can get. People gouge on the price. Hell, I've seen white (or sometimes even gray) shoulders and helms for the minimum level going for ridiculous prices.
Huh. I'd just never seen that happen before. On the other hand, there does seem to be a dearth of low-level gear on the Alliance AH on Lightbringer lately. My ~20th-level toons have had a hard time finding anything even for sale, at any price.

That's the AH for you: it's all about timing. You can list a bunch of something for weeks and have it keep getting returned to you, and then suddenly someone needs it and they buy up everything in sight.
But saronite ore? That's always seemed to be a consistent quick-seller. I send it to my AH alt, she posts it, and collects the money the next day. Every time. But then my main tries to sell it herself, and it doesn't sell. Every time. So she sends it to the alt, who sells it in a day. More random weirdness, I guess.

Skammer
08-13-2009, 04:07 PM
The current problem I'm having is that, no matter where I am, it insists on pointing my main to various flight points and zone borders to do that Betrayal quest in Zul'Drak. Even if I'm currently in, say, Tanaris or even Shattrath. This, regardless of how many times I'd directed QH to ignore that particular quest/location - it always comes back each time I log that toon in. I was having this problem, too, until I activated the zone filter.. so now it only directs me to quests that I can complete in the zone I'm currently in. But yeah, it's not perfect.

Shot From Guns
08-13-2009, 04:16 PM
I was having this problem, too, until I activated the zone filter.. so now it only directs me to quests that I can complete in the zone I'm currently in.

The command is /qh filter zone for anyone who's curious. Very useful. (One of my other favorites is /qh solo to toggle solo mode, which will include or ignore the quest objectives of people you're partied with.)

Gary Robson
08-13-2009, 04:49 PM
But saronite ore? That's always seemed to be a consistent quick-seller. I send it to my AH alt, she posts it, and collects the money the next day. Every time. But then my main tries to sell it herself, and it doesn't sell. Every time. So she sends it to the alt, who sells it in a day. More random weirdness, I guess.On my server (Khaz Modan), I was doing that with saronite at 25G a stack or so. This last few weeks, people have been posting it for 15G a stack (I've seen it as low as 12G), and I'm just sitting on it waiting for the price to go back up.

The prices of most of the low-end Northrend herbs have crashed in the last month, too. I'm getting half what I was for tiger lily and such. Frost lotus has held its price, though.

Telperien
08-13-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't have the Crazy Alchemist's Potion recipe yet, since I've only done Northrend Alchemy Research once. I should finally be able to try it again tonight.

Quasimodem
08-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Okay! Here's what you do. The only two sections you want to pay any attention to are Required level and Quality. For Required level, put in a range that extends below and above your current one. (Since Wolkie is about 38, I used 35-45 in the example (http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2292/wowhead07.jpg).) Then click on one of the quality levels. I used Rare (blue) because that's going to a good upgrade.

If you look at the linked screenshot, you can see that "35" and "45" are filled in by Required level, and "Rare" is highlighted over on the right under Quality.

Everything else you can leave blank.

Gotcha, thanks Mogle and SFG

(You got the collar that summons him off a guy in the crypts underneath the Raven Hill cemetary, right? I got that once, too! :D)

Dogwhistles, actually, and they were drops from somewhere, but I don't remember where.;)

Yeticus Rex
08-13-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm trying to do all the classic instances (in order of difficulty) with my 80 (mostly solo up to this point).....but if anyone wants to tag along for the ride to get the achievements/blue gear for your lowbie, then the more the merrier......just holler......

Check out my main's "to do" list on "Classic" "Dungeons and Raids" (http://wowarmory.com/character-achievements.xml?r=Cairne&cn=Yeticalayla&gn=Burning+Dog+Legion) to see what's left if you want to join.

Bosstone
08-13-2009, 05:41 PM
It's too bad you've already done RFK. I still need to run in there to get the Vial of Phlogiston for the Brutal Hauberk, and I've just hit 26. Any more levels and it won't really be necessary.

Quasimodem
08-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Me.

Thanks to an elf called Ambassador Amberale.

This great guy, playing as a female elf, took me through some quests in The Badlands, and he must have spent an hour and a half of his time, helping me, advising me, and was just as excited as I was to hit 40, pick up some new weaponry, raise my Warrior profiency, and make Silka faster.

He also had me buy some 20 slot bags, so I would not run out of room so quick while questing.

I have never met him, but he must have "the patience of Job" in order to deal with someone like me.

Combined with the help y'all give me here, this has just been the greatest gaming experience, and it has given me so much pleasure.

He doesn't frequent this website, but he DOES read my blog and knows what's going on w/ me, so that makes it even MORE special.

In one of my "moods" I quit the guild called "Legends of Azeroth" (mostly kids who didn't understand my problem), but he stayed after me, and reminded me of a guild I was trying to form, called the "EOAD FEEBS", and he created a tabard with the picture of a cat on it, because he had seen me write about my cat, Bert, and how much I love him, and right now we have (at last count) three members.

Just wanted to say thanks to y'all and to him for all your help!

Q

Gary Robson
08-14-2009, 01:46 AM
Congrats on 40, Quasi!

Quasimodem
08-14-2009, 02:35 AM
Thanks, IW!!! ;););)

Q

Whew! THAT one was a hard one to achieve! :)

Q

Mister Rik
08-14-2009, 04:24 AM
My funny for the day:

I rolled up a human male warrior on a RP server, and left Northshire for Goldshire at level 5. I started up the road to SW to talk to the mining trainer there (considering the fact that the first quests in Goldshire all send you into the nearby mine, why the hell isn't there a mining trainer in Goldshire?). I only got a few steps when I got a whisper from another player, a female warrior. Our brief conversation went like this:

Her: can u help me?
Me: whatcha need?
Her: can u give me 30 copper?
Me: ooo, I'm afraid I can't spare it right now, sorry

The reason this is particularly funny is that I recognized her name; she had started her character at approximately the same time I started mine (that is, I spotted her in Northshire earlier, when we were both level 1). And ... she was still level 1. So as near as I could tell she made her character and then ran straight to Goldshire to beg for copper. Maybe she was a bank alt who wanted to buy a cat before hitting SW :p

Shot From Guns
08-14-2009, 09:50 AM
I got the last of the badges I needed for my 8.5 helm Wednesday night, so now I have my two-piece bonus! I'm actually surprised by how much I like the design. From the screenshots I'd seen, and from the equipment preview window, I thought I was going to hate it, but now that I can actually see it on Sleutel, it looks pretty cool.

Still not a big fan of the sad goat chest, though. :D

Dogwhistles, actually, and they were drops from somewhere, but I don't remember where.;)

Duh! :smack: I was thinking of the Felhunter, which is a dog-ish demon.

Guess Who's Now A Level 40?

Woohoooo!!! Did you go get your fast horse yet? Do you have a nice pasture picked out for Silka? :D

He also had me buy some 20 slot bags, so I would not run out of room so quick while questing.

Bags are your best friend. I use one 22-slot bag and the rest are 20-slot. I'm debating whether I want to blow the ~800g per bag to upgrade the 20-slotters to the 22-slot Glacial Bag.

In one of my "moods" I quit the guild called "Legends of Azeroth" (mostly kids who didn't understand my problem)

A guild full of kids and immature adults would be enough to try anyone's patience, let alone someone with EOAD having a bad day. :p

jayjay
08-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Gratz on 40, Quasi! You're doing great. I've had probably over 100 toons in the 4 years I've been playing, and exactly 1 of those is over lvl 60 through my own efforts (not counting Death Knights). I have a real problem with getting bored, starting an alt, and forgetting the first toon for months, sometimes.

Gary Robson
08-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Got my shadow priest up to level 75 last night!

I wonder if it's possible to get from 75 to 80 doing only stuff that my main didn't do. Hmmmm.

jayjay
08-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Got my shadow priest up to level 75 last night!

I wonder if it's possible to get from 75 to 80 doing only stuff that my main didn't do. Hmmmm.

Considering that I managed to get to 80 and still have about 95% of Grizzly Hills and a good 50% of Dragonblight still undone, I'd guess it's at least possible.

Bosstone
08-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Considering that I managed to get to 80 and still have about 95% of Grizzly Hills and a good 50% of Dragonblight still undone, I'd guess it's at least possible.I just hit 75 myself and I'm only just now starting on Dragonblight. I went through all of Howling Fjord and Borean Tundra (except for Coldarra) and I've been religiously doing all the dailies I have access to.

Telperien
08-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Grats, Quasi! I found something interesting in Dalaran. They have a pet store there, which sells, among other things, Pet Grooming Kits. (http://wowhead.com/?item=43352) So you can groom your pets, but not your horse.

I'm doing stuff for the goblins in K3 up in the Storm Peaks, which means I spend a lot of time blowing things up. Or getting myself blown up--there's a quest for which you have to go into a minefield, and till I figured out the path, I was actually having a lot of fun flying into the air by walking into mines. Once, I died to a mine, and then my dead body was blown into the air. It was pretty funny to watch.

Farming herbs for Frost Lotus is my new least favorite thing. On the other hand, I have oodles of Lichbloom, Icethorn, and Crystallized Life.

Shot From Guns
08-14-2009, 11:32 AM

I should think so. There are tons of quests I didn't do until after I hit 80 (or still haven't done).

So you can groom your pets, but not your horse.

Yeah, it's kind of a shame, i'n'it? I think the problem is that pets are targetable and mounts aren't. There's no way to dismount and keep your mount out.

Yeticus Rex
08-14-2009, 04:48 PM
It's too bad you've already done RFK. I still need to run in there to get the Vial of Phlogiston for the Brutal Hauberk, and I've just hit 26. Any more levels and it won't really be necessary.

Hey, if you still need to do RFK.....just hit me up anyways when/if you see me on....I don't mind doing it for my Doper guildies!

Skammer
08-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Hey, if you still need to do RFK.....just hit me up anyways when/if you see me on....I don't mind doing it for my Doper guildies! Me neither! If you're in the Burning Dog Legion and ever need help with an instance, just speak up in guild chat. There's almost always someone willing to help.

Quasimodem
08-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Got a quest in the Uldan, but can't find the Badlands. I'm at/in the North Gate Pass right now. Am I head right? Can't tell w/ my Quest Helper....

Thanks

Q

PS: Thanks for the GRATZ! ;)

Quasimodem
08-14-2009, 08:13 PM
I think I'll just hulk out and fly to Alterac and kill me some Syndicate Mages, and check back later here. ;) No one in the game answers me....

Ferret Herder
08-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Badlands should be straight south of Loch Modan, I think.

Quasimodem
08-14-2009, 08:36 PM
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff71/Drummerboy49/pimpin.jpg

That Shield Smash sure does come in handy, doesn't it? I don't "die" near as often now!

And for SFG: No, no pasture for Silka, but I like to think she goes somewhere nice to graze, when I don't need her! :)

Sorry! Someone once told me how to crop out the other stuff that appears with the image, but I forgot.

If you'll tell me again, please, I will write it down and tape it to the screen this time.

Thanks.

And thanks for the directions. I went through some weird place with a statue on either side and then through Stone Splitter Vale (sp?), but turned back, because I then got to to the South Gate Pass. Shoulda kept goin' huh? ;)

BTW, my in-game guru, Amberale wants me to learn herbalism, and I'm just about ready to switch professions anyway, since I can't seem to please my blacksmithing trainer! :D

Thanks,

Q

Ferret Herder
08-14-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the path straight south of the Loch (http://wowwiki.com/File:WorldMap-LochModan.jpg). Been a while since I've made that run, though, so I'm a tad rusty.

Mister Rik
08-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Okay ... what the hell?

I just finished doing today's Dalaran fishing daily, "The Ghostfish" and was flying back to Dal. I'd tabbed out to my browser to read webcomics during the flight (taking the FP rather than using my own flyer). As I was flying over Wintergrasp I heard music I'd never heard before, so I tabbed back to WoW and saw on my screen that the Horde had just won Wintergrasp. Then I looked at my chat window and saw this:

The Sunken Ring siege workshop has been captured by the Alliance!
The Horde has captured Wintergrasp Fortress!
The south-eastern keep tower has been destroyed!
You create: [Wintergrasp Mark of Honor]

I checked my Currency window and sure enough, I now have 1 Wintergrasp Mark of Honor.

So ... that can't be intentional on Blizzard's part, can it? I had no involvement whatsoever in that Wintergrasp battle (and I was on an Alliance toon, and the Alliance lost the battle) - I was just taking a taxi through the airspace. Yet I apparently got credit for participating. :confused:

Mister Rik
08-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Being a tailor is fun! Here's a shot of my main, Eilyssana, visiting with her cousin Milly Osworth back in Northshire :D

http://mister-rik.com/hosted/eilyssana_milly.jpg

I had just made the Blue Overalls a couple days ago, and when I was playing my new human warrior last night I saw what Milly was wearing and thought, "Hey, Eilyssana can make the Lavender Mageweave Shirt, too ..." Just wish I could have matched the belt as well. I do notice that Milly's overalls seem to be "custom" - notice the wider cuffs on the legs.

Quasimodem
08-14-2009, 10:24 PM
They're pretty cute, Rik!:)

You know what else would be cute?

If when you're running/riding through rain, you had the option of using an umbrella, which would of course disappear when you dismounted for battle.

I know, I know - they didn't have umbrellas in medieval times, but they sure as hell didn't have motorcycles, either! :D

You'd think they'd "lock up" inside that rusting armor, wouldn't you? Unless they had steel wool and WD-40!:D

But, who am I to suggest anything? :D

Nobody believes that swords and other weapons carried on the back ought be sheathed, either! ;)

Just stuff I think about while waiting to rez. Need to get that Nagaz head from that guy in the house, and two more Shadow Mages!

Q

jayjay
08-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Mister Rik, it's a known bug. I don't know if they consider it important enough to bother fixing or not, but it's been around since the patch that came up before this last one.

Mister Rik
08-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Well, I've come to the conclusion that the market for Saronite Ore on my server has completely tanked. Even my bank alt can't sell it any more - she just got 8 full stacks back as "auction expired", and if I remember correctly she's got at least 10 more stacks currently posted. So I had her send those 8 stacks back to my main, and had my main smelt it all into bars. We'll see if those sell any better - I checked and there weren't nearly as many bars as ore on the AH.

So I'm not sure if somebody just flooded the market recently, or if Saronite Ore has suddenly become less useful since the patch, or what's going on.

OTOH, my main has a stack of 10 Titansteel Bars sitting in her bank waiting to be auctioned off. It looks like the price is still up on that.

jayjay - I don't see fixing it being a high priority, I suppose. I mean, what are the odds of the timing working out exactly like that for the same character too many times, and I don't imagine there's much I can purchase with a single WG Mark of Honor :D

Quasimodem
08-15-2009, 01:18 AM
Someone very kindly pointed out to me tonight that I was wearing cloth gloves on Wolkie's hands.:smack:

It was funny how that happened: She's a Level 58 DK, and she and her mount were just parked near the Alterac Ruins, when she whispered to me: "Cloth hands?", and I said "Huh?", and then she explained, and both of us got a good lol out of it.

She must have "looked" at Wolkie in the Armory, right, or could she see it just by clicking him?

I do not know how that happened, because as soon as I level, I ALWAYS see what's available for him AT that level and buy it, but I found another kind soul and she helped me get that tiara quest, and right now I'm at 40+k on the way to 74k.

I need to learn that "whirling throwing blades skill" though, because even though I bought it, I do not yet have the profiency to use it.

I guess that' s the "weapons trainer", right?

Thanks!

Quasi

Mister Rik
08-15-2009, 01:26 AM
She must have "looked" at Wolkie in the Armory, right, or could she see it just by clicking him?
If you right-click on another character's portrait, you'll get a menu. Choose "Inspect" from that menu and you can see all their gear the same way you look at your own.

Quasimodem
08-15-2009, 05:15 AM
Oh, God!

D. hates it so bad when she comes in from working and sees me sitting at the WoW screen justa levellin' my buns off. :)

(41, now, BTW)

She takes a look at my swollen ankles, and just FREAKS, 'cause she knows I will have been at it for 8 hours or more. and she's afraid I'll have a heart attack and/or a stroke.

So I suggested we hang me upside-down, turn the screen around so I could see it "right-side-up" and then the swelling ankles would not be a problem.

She came back with: "But then you'd be a fecal-cephalic!":D

Which we already knew in the first-damn place, right?;)

Quasi

aruvqan
08-15-2009, 07:15 AM

I hold my auction stuff on my mule until saturday morning, then set it up for the 48 hour option. I also tend to only sell stuff in full stacks, or sets for quests [like 4 chilled meat, 4 northern stew, 4 rhino dogs ...]

aruvqan
08-15-2009, 07:17 AM

the guy in Scarlet Monastary, he also drops nice leather gloves for hunters.

aruvqan
08-15-2009, 07:22 AM
Okay ... what the hell?

I just finished doing today's Dalaran fishing daily, "The Ghostfish" and was flying back to Dal. I'd tabbed out to my browser to read webcomics during the flight (taking the FP rather than using my own flyer). As I was flying over Wintergrasp I heard music I'd never heard before, so I tabbed back to WoW and saw on my screen that the Horde had just won Wintergrasp. Then I looked at my chat window and saw this:

The Sunken Ring siege workshop has been captured by the Alliance!
The Horde has captured Wintergrasp Fortress!
The south-eastern keep tower has been destroyed!
You create: [Wintergrasp Mark of Honor]

I checked my Currency window and sure enough, I now have 1 Wintergrasp Mark of Honor.

So ... that can't be intentional on Blizzard's part, can it? I had no involvement whatsoever in that Wintergrasp battle (and I was on an Alliance toon, and the Alliance lost the battle) - I was just taking a taxi through the airspace. Yet I apparently got credit for participating. :confused:
I snuck in [by flying there from sholazar basin] to do some fishing and caught the tail end and got a mark .... so it must be a bug\\\ feature

aruvqan
08-15-2009, 07:24 AM
Oh, God!

D. hates it so bad when she comes in from working and sees me sitting at the WoW screen justa levellin' my buns off. :)

(41, now, BTW)

She takes a look at my swollen ankles, and just FREAKS, 'cause she knows I will have been at it for 8 hours or more. and she's afraid I'll have a heart attack and/or a stroke.

So I suggested we hang me upside-down, turn the screen around so I could see it "right-side-up" and then the swelling ankles would not be a problem.

She came back with: "But then you'd be a fecal-cephalic!":D

Which we already knew in the first-damn place, right?;)

Quasi
Do what I do, when I am flying somewhere I get up and gimp around to get the blood moving a bit =)

SteveG1
08-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Being a tailor is fun! Here's a shot of my main, Eilyssana, visiting with her cousin Milly Osworth back in Northshire :D

http://mister-rik.com/hosted/eilyssana_milly.jpg

I had just made the Blue Overalls a couple days ago, and when I was playing my new human warrior last night I saw what Milly was wearing and thought, "Hey, Eilyssana can make the Lavender Mageweave Shirt, too ..." Just wish I could have matched the belt as well. I do notice that Milly's overalls seem to be "custom" - notice the wider cuffs on the legs.
Heh heh.

One of my guildies does things like that too, playing around with various clothing combos. She has the overalls, a flannel shirt, a hat, and uses it all for fishing. It's her fishing outfit. :)

Gary Robson
08-15-2009, 12:56 PM
What the heck happened with the Book of Glyph Mastery?

I first got one as a random drop a few months ago. It sold instantly on the AH for 287 gold. I got another a week later. The listing expired twice, and it finally sold at 150 gold. I got a third one last month. I listed it twice, and finally sold it at 97 gold. I got another one, and current prices on the auction house start at 12 gold 50.

The price has dropped by 95% in a few months?

The Lurker Above
08-15-2009, 01:15 PM

I first got one as a random drop a few months ago. It sold instantly on the AH for 287 gold. I got another a week later. The listing expired twice, and it finally sold at 150 gold. I got a third one last month. I listed it twice, and finally sold it at 97 gold. I got another one, and current prices on the auction house start at 12 gold 50.

The price has dropped by 95% in a few months?

Sounds about right. All the serious scribes have all the glyphs from the books. The supply of books stays the same but the demand has taken a nosedive.

Mister Rik
08-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Heh heh.

One of my guildies does things like that too, playing around with various clothing combos. She has the overalls, a flannel shirt, a hat, and uses it all for fishing. It's her fishing outfit. :)
Here's Eilyssana's current "around town" outfit (http://mister-rik.com/hosted/eilyssana_farmgirl.jpg). The shirt is the Yellow Lumberjack Shirt, the boots are from the STV fishing contest, and the hat is ... I can't remember. I have several hats of that shape.

I got kind of lucky with the Top Half of Advanced Armorsmithing: Volume II (http://wowhead.com/?item=18782). When I found it, Auctioneer said the market price was something like 234g. I started there, and ended up posting it maybe five times, lowering the price each time. It finally sold for around 170g.

Now this is interesting. I just logged in my bank/AH alt, and found that those 10 stacks of Saronite Ore I had up did finally sell. After collecting all the gold, I found three mails from another player (it took him/her three mails to contain the entire message). Here's what they said:

I'm sending this to all my fellow ore farmers. As of lately, I've noticed the value of Saronite Ore drop drastically. I don't know about you, but I spend good time farming the ore to make some cash for my gaming needs. SO! I've come up with an idea. Let me know what you think, but there are enough of us that we can effectively control the market. People will always buy Ore what ever the cost, but they will always choose the cheapest seller. I say we all agree to a price and stick with it to drive our profits back up. Let me know what you think, but it's getting to the point of where mining isn't worth the time it takes to make a reasonable amount of cash. My pitch is that we settle for no less than 25 gold per stack of Saronite. Sure, there's gonna be someone out there that's gonna try selling theirs for less, but they don't do it in the volumes that we do. I usually post about 20 stacks a day and I'm content, ut then we're nearing in on almost 10 gold a stack which is killing us.

There are about 20 of us on the Auction House daily, so if we can all agree on controlling this together instead of undercutting each other, then we can effectively bring our profit margins back up ... let me know what you think, maybe I'm just crazy, but it might be worth a shot.

Hmmm. I'm game, unless Blizzard frowns on price-fixing :D

Quasimodem
08-15-2009, 11:17 PM
I don't know if I'll ever be as "involved" with my toons as y'all are (dressing them, tailoring clothes, etc.), but I do enjoy the screen shots, and seeing what you've accomplished with them!

And NO, I DON'T print them out, and hold them in one hand as I'm laying in bed, either, mah little heatherns! :D

Right now, I'm in that "valley" between 40 and 50, and just enjoying not dying as much, although me and Wolkie need to keep our eyes on that "HEALTH-BAR", and not rush right back into a fight after killing a three-on-one team! :D

Wollkie (my mule in SW) in the meantime is getting rich on the auctions with 20g!:)

He's now a 9, and I decided to level him, because he's Wolkie's bro' and deserves better than just standing beside a mailbox!:)

We have a third sibling (Wolky) who's still in Northshire and is level one!

Wish we could all three of us appear on horseback at the same time! Wouldn't that be just the COOLEST thing? The "Earps" in Azeroth! :D

Thanks

Quasi

Quasimodem
08-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Been thinkin' about ya', and I know you went for some tests.

I hope they turned out just the way you wanted!

Bill

Quasimodem
08-15-2009, 11:40 PM
Wish we could all three of us appear on horseback at the same time! Wouldn't that be just the COOLEST thing? The "Earps" in Azeroth! :D

Well, maybe not the Earps, but maybe their mentally-challenged relatives???? :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D

OMG! :D

We'd be The Three Stooges of Alexstracsa!

"It's this way!"

"No, it's that way"

"Whoop, whoop, whoop! Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk!"

(Followed by that "Curly 360" on the floor!:))

"Look at the grouse, look at the grouse!"

"Wise guy, eh?" (followed by that two-fingered "eye-punch", blocked by that vertical nose "salute"!)

"Niagara Falls!"

Okay, hell, I'll quit!;) just needed something to do while I was rezzin'.

Maybe some of you enjoyed that little interlude? :)

Quas'

aruvqan
08-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Been thinkin' about ya', and I know you went for some tests.

I hope they turned out just the way you wanted!

Bill

Thanks, Im home now ... and healing up. I feel like a mule kicked me in the stomach and I seem to be spending a lot of time sleeping but Ill be back in game sometime in the next few days =)

Gary Robson
08-16-2009, 12:18 PM
And NO, I DON'T print them out, and hold them in one hand as I'm laying in bed, either, mah little heatherns! :DJust for the record, when you use that pale turquoise color for your text, I can barely see it on my notebook computer. The color is too close to the pale blue background, and too close to the highlight color. If you're highlighting important stuff, you may be doing the opposite of what you intend with it. Bright colors show well, though.

(If you're doing that to hide it, or because it's UNimportant, then carry on! :D)

Quasimodem
08-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Hmmmm. Okay, IW, :) I was doing it mainly for shits & giggles, and when I left-click and mouse over it, it appears for me. Usually, it indicates one of those "nudge-nudge, wink-wink, say no more, say no more!" things - kinda like a "spoiler box", I reckon, only different!

But thanks for letting me know! :)

(Just think! All those funny lines lost forever in the ether! :):):))

God, I DO love you kiddos!

Quasi

Quasimodem
08-16-2009, 02:01 PM
This friggin' "Quest-Helper" just ain't gittin' it, y'all.

I KNOW The Badlands Are SOUTH of Loch Mordan, but I can never remember the WAY there, and the friggin' MAP is of NO help at all!

I mouse all over the map, but it just will NOT reveal a path for me!

My next quest is in the Uldans, and I distinctly remember a meeting stone there, but I can't even find my way to the Badlands anymore.

FARG!:rolleyes:

Thanks

Q

Mister Rik
08-16-2009, 02:30 PM
This friggin' "Quest-Helper" just ain't gittin' it, y'all.

I KNOW The Badlands Are SOUTH of Loch Mordan, but I can never remember the WAY there, and the friggin' MAP is of NO help at all!

I mouse all over the map, but it just will NOT reveal a path for me!

Starting at the Thelsamar flight point, travel directly West (you'll be moving away from the road), sticking close to the hills. You'll come to an opening in the hills; if you look South, the terrain looks the same and there are troggs in that valley. Continue on past that opening, still sticking close to the hills, and you'll soon come to another gap in the mountains. If you look South into that gap, you'll see the landscape changes from green grass to red dirt. That's the pass you want to take.

You'll find Uldaman on your right almost as soon as you go through the pass. At your level, take some friends with you if you want to go in there :)

Mister Rik
08-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Hooray, I got my Buzzard Bites recipe restored :)

(I found a couple on the AH, but ... not for 300g.)

Quasimodem
08-16-2009, 10:20 PM
You'll find Uldaman on your right almost as soon as you go through the pass. At your level, take some friends with you if you want to go in there :)

Thanks Rik. Guess that means I'll be running into some high-level bad mammajammas, huh? :)

Q

Mister Rik
08-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks Rik. Guess that means I'll be running into some high-level bad mammajammas, huh? :)

Lots of elites. Like Deadmines, only meaner :D

jayjay
08-16-2009, 10:26 PM

Q

Yep. Uldaman is pretty much level-par for you right now, and the mobs are elites, which means they can take a LOT more damage than regular at-level mobs (and sometimes hit harder, as well). Any dungeon is going to require at least a five-toon party if you're at-level with it.

martu
08-17-2009, 05:28 AM
Grats to all of you who have gained a level or two recently.

My WoW time has been curtailed a bit so not much of an update from me, I did ding 55 on my pally last night and got a nice new chest piece from a random mob drop with +Str. I have been trying to level cooking and fishing on my warlock which has not been as dull as I expected, in about 4 evenings he has gone from a skill of 1 in both to Fishing 260 and Cooking 273, following a guide to do both at the same time highly recommended.

Wednesday night we hit Sunken Temple for the first time. It’s been a while since I did an instance (SM I think) so I am really looking forward to it.

Skammer
08-17-2009, 08:50 AM
I gathered enough gold so that now my 73 rogue alt has both an elite flyer *and* coldweather flying, so she is cruising through Northrend.

And she was in the best PUG ever the other night -- in about an hour and half, we went through the two Dragonblight dungeons (AN and OK) twice each without a wipe. It helped of course to have a level 80 tank and level 78 healer. She dinged 74.

Wednesday night we hit Sunken Temple for the first time. Are you doing the run with us in Burning Dog Legion? If so, cool. Can you remind me who your toon is? (This is Rillian, 47 pally).

Infovore
08-17-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm so proud of myself--my little DK alt tanked a bit of Ulduar, and I didn't completely and utterly embarrass myself. :)

Most of our guild was already saved to Uld, so we decided to do an "alt run" with a combination of mostly alts of main raiders, a couple of folks who don't raid very often, and one main who didn't get into the regular run. I've been working on my DK's tank set and getting advice from some seasoned tanks (I leveled him as DPS and have next to no experience as a tank), and as it happened we needed a second tank and I was the only one available so I gave it a shot.

I managed to off-tank Razorscale (AoE tanking is my bane, so all those little dwarves were a lot of fun), XT (my main is a mage--I don't pay attention to the adds that need to be tanked, and had no idea there were so *many* of them! but I managed to hold onto about eight of them long enough for the team to kill the boss) and Ignis trash (Ignis too, but we failed miserably on him--not sure if it was my tanking, the healing, or low DPS--I suspect a combination of the three).

Anyway, I was satisfied with my performance--need a *lot* of improvement still, but that did wonders for my confidence level. Think I'll try some heroics now. :)

Tom Scud
08-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Wednesday night we hit Sunken Temple for the first time. Itís been a while since I did an instance (SM I think) so I am really looking forward to it.

Are you doing the run with us in Burning Dog Legion? If so, cool. Can you remind me who your toon is? (This is Rillian, 47 pally).

My priest alt is now up to 45, so he should be ready to join the big kids in the alt instance this week (hopefully). I need to go do the Sunken Temple chain quest in the Hinterlands (as well as the fishing pole quest) before then, hopefully.

Skammer
08-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Tom, I'll be online tonight (probably on Kene) so let me know if you need help with that Hinterlands chain.

Shot From Guns
08-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Got a quest in the Uldan, but can't find the Badlands. I'm at/in the North Gate Pass right now. Am I head right?

The thing to remember with the Badlands is that you can't get there from the road (which goes south into Searing Gorge). You have to go east of the road, then go south down through the middle of the southern end of Loch Modan.

P.S. Thanks for all funny comments in your posts since Friday--you've got me laughing on a Monday morning. :D

You know what else would be cute? If when you're running/riding through rain, you had the option of using an umbrella, which would of course disappear when you dismounted for battle.

... That is the best idea ever. I always turn my helm on when my character's riding in the rain, even if it's an ugly one I normally have hidden.

Someone very kindly pointed out to me tonight that I was wearing cloth gloves on Wolkie's hands.:smack:

Oh, and I forgot to mention this when I looked Wolkie up to see what level he was, but speaking of armor... The main stats you want are Strength, Stamina, and Agility. I noticed that a lot of your gear has Intellect on it, which is unfortunately absolutely useless for Warriors. (They like us strong and dumb, apparently. :p) Other good stats that you might start seeing are things like Hit Rating, Attack Power, and Critical Strike Rating. Other bad stats are Spell Power and X Mana per 5 Seconds. A mediocre stat is Spirit--you'll probably see some of it on your gear, but all it does is make you regenerate health faster when you're not in combat, when you could heal up faster by bandaging or eating.

I need to learn that "whirling throwing blades skill" though, because even though I bought it, I do not yet have the profiency to use it. I guess that' s the "weapons trainer", right?

Right! If the one you talk to doesn't have it, you can ask them who does. You're going to want to look for something like "Thrown Weapons."

Long gryphon flights are a great time to stretch your legs!

Hmmm. I'm game, unless Blizzard frowns on price-fixing

Good luck trying to get everyone to cooperate. I've had this same problem with the Black Tabby and some of the Horde pets. There's always one jerk who keeps posting for the stupid low price.

Someday, I would like to take everybody who doesn't understand how to undercut properly (hint: dropping from 19g to 9g to 2g is not how to do it) and stab them all in the face.

Followed by that "Curly 360" on the floor!

I now desperately want an animated emote for this.

XT (my main is a mage--I don't pay attention to the adds that need to be tanked, and had no idea there were so *many* of them! but I managed to hold onto about eight of them long enough for the team to kill the boss)

How did you end up with eight Pummellers on you?! You must have had the worst luck ever. Usually only one or two spawn per phase two, and tanking them by XT gets them killed off by incidental damage before the wave of adds. Good job holding on to all of them!

(Fun XT story: We decided to try for hardmode for shits 'n' giggles one time, so I was in DPS gear and Arms spec. A couple of our best DPS were out that day, so we didn't quite burn through the heart in time, and the adds spawned. I managed to swap back to Defensive stance and throw on a shield in time to grab the Pummellers, and it's a credit to our healers that they were able to keep me up in DPS spec and gear that was entirely DPS except for the shield and weapon--gear that was not all plate.)

Ferret Herder
08-17-2009, 10:16 AM
My tiny, happily slacker, way-casual-re.-raiding* guild hit Ulduar this week for the first time in a while (we have some harder-core raiding fans who'll PUG Naxx25/Ulduar), and ripped through the start. First time guild kills were Ignus and Kologarn. We probably could have taken down Kologarn the first time except that I was too focused on my Grid healing layout (we refer to healing as playing whack-a-mole, where all you see is the health bars going up and down, and nothing else about the encounters) and didn't see the initial warning message that Kologarn was fixing his gaze on me. When your priest dies, things tend to go awry.

Also, my BElf mage is trying to get away from her 'chocobo' mount, and has started the ravasaur mount training quest series out of Un'goro. After taking a terribly long time to get enough poisonings from the venomhide ravasaurs, she got a baby ravasaur to tend to. These first two days, he's only wanted silithid eggs to eat. Lots of yummy protein and fat for a growing baby dino! He's also at a weapons-grade level of cute, for now.

* I was in a hardcore, uber-raiding guild (top 2 on our server) back in my EverQuest days. No more of that for me!

Telperien
08-17-2009, 10:17 AM
My DK and my friend's priest went to Hellfire Citadel this weekend. We had a PUG with two warriors and a rogue. Apparently we weren't going fast enough for the rogue, who would run up and aggro patrols while we were taking a short rest. My friend called her on it and she left in a huff. We picked up another DK and the rest of the run went fairly smoothly. We wiped a couple of times on the last boss. The other DK kept asking if he could tank as well, but my friend didn't think it was a good idea. On our third try, he finally said OK, so the other DK switched to Frost Presence since he wasn't Frost-specced. That time we killed the last boss without losing anyone. The DK was gracious and didn't say, "I told you so."

I'm trying for Master of Elixirs on my hunter, which is proving to be a giant pain. It's Black Morass that is the trouble. We couldn't get in at all last night. I probably should have gone the route most people seem to go, which is transmute spec then switch, but I'm nearly done now so I might as well stick with it.

Infovore
08-17-2009, 10:25 AM
How did you end up with eight Pummellers on you?! You must have had the worst luck ever. Usually only one or two spawn per phase two, and tanking them by XT gets them killed off by incidental damage before the wave of adds. Good job holding on to all of them!

Good question! I might have tanked them too far away from the group--remember, I'm the tank equivalent of a 16-year-old kid fresh out of a rather inadequate driver training class, piloting a Porsche (I have quite a nice tank set for a toon that's done very little raiding and most of it DPS)--or I might have just gotten really unlucky. In retrospect I might have exaggerated a little bit--it might have only been 7 or even 6 (I wasn't pausing too much to count them!) but there were definitely a lot. My taunt button got a workout, as did my Death Grip button. Once I had them all gathered up it wasn't that hard to hold on to them, since nobody else was hitting them. It was exhilarating and scary. I could get to like tanking, for sure.

martu
08-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Are you doing the run with us in Burning Dog Legion? If so, cool. Can you remind me who your toon is? (This is Rillian, 47 pally).

Nope I am EU unfortunately, much as I'd like to join up.

Bosstone
08-17-2009, 10:37 AM
My little PUG story for the weekend: I was playing on my Hunter in Dragonblight when a Mage asked on General if anyone wanted to kill Alystros, the giant green pissed-off parrot in the Emerald Dragonshrine. I had that quest, so I joined up with him. It's a 3-man group quest, but I like I think I'm pretty strong, especially with my Tankbear. Plus, Alystros is a 74 Elite, and the Mage was 75 and I was 76, so we figured we'd have a chance. Ahem.

Attempt 1: We got Alystros down maybe halfway before we died. I realized I was using my attack macro that makes Yogi Cower in a group instead of Growl, so he wasn't holding aggro. Plus the Mage laughed at me for not using Feign Death. I swapped the macro for my tanking macro and we tried again.

Attempt 2: We wiped with 200 HP left on Alystros. :smack: I realized I hadn't even tried using my traps, so I wired myself up to throw down traps like crazy and crank up my DPS.

Attempt 3: I used my traps, all right...and forgot to put Mend Pet on Yogi. He died instantly, and we followed shortly thereafter.

Thankfully, the Mage was incredibly patient with me, and as we were recovering from the third failure a 72 DK showed up. We pulled him into the group and took Alystros down without any further trouble. Lesson: There is a world of difference between solo and group tactics. On the upside, I finally starting taking note of FD and how to use it to clear out my aggro.

In other news, unrelated relationship drama means I most likely no longer have a WoW partner to play with, so I started questioning why I was still working my Alliance characters. I'm shifting over to Cairne to play my Hordies more, both my Warrior and my new baby Druid Nahren. I got him to level 10 in 3 hours last night, and I plan to finally play through the Ghostlands for the first time.

Skammer
08-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Nope I am EU unfortunately, much as I'd like to join up.
Ha, that's funny b/c we are doing Sunken Temple on Wednesday too. :D

Just as well - I was starting to get worried we would have too many people wanting to be in the party!

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: lawful evil picayune cigarettes violet vampire penguin nativity scene bruising gin frasier crane accent pseudoephedrine sleep do digestifs work best scottish accents illegal alien genesis is ninny idgie ship stowaway streight dope garbage disposal vent spots on eyeglasses that won't come off christmas in heaven singer how to connect dishwasher to garbage disposal cant uninstall world of warcraft riders on the storm song meaning do different races smell differently how to attach a belt buckle without snaps how much is thirty pieces of silver worth today 6 13 guinness glass best rum to mix with coke names ending in o