PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Caddyshack question

VunderBob
03-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Did the groundhog/gopher/whatever ever have a name?

I know in the movie itself he doesn't. I'm thinking more along the lines of the mechanical shark in Jaws being called Bruce by the crew.

VunderBob
03-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Answering my own question, Wikipedia says the guy was in the credits as "Chuck Rodent". No, I ain't makin' a cite.

Snowboarder Bo
03-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Not quite right.

The character of Mr. Gopher was played by Chuck Rodent, as listed in the credits. In reality, the gopher (and his tunnels) were constructed by FX wiz John Dykstra.

Why do I know this? Because Caddyshack is one of my all-time favorite flicks. I've seen it too many times to count (well over 100, perhaps over 200), and can recite the entire movie from start to finish.

I also was there when they blew up parts of Rolling Hills Golf & Tennis Club in Davie, FL. I grew up in nearby Plantation, FL.

Shoeless
03-16-2009, 01:43 PM
What I always wondered was, why did the gopher sound like Flipper?

Nars Glinley
03-16-2009, 02:13 PM
What I always wondered was, why did the gopher sound like Flipper?

What's a gopher supposed to sound like?

Ike Witt
03-16-2009, 02:39 PM
What's a gopher supposed to sound like?

I would assume not like a sea mammal....

DrFidelius
03-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Chuck Rodent did a lot of voice-over work before he appeared in front of the cameras in Caddyshack. His performances were never limited by race or species.

Nars Glinley
03-16-2009, 03:15 PM
I would assume not like a sea mammal....

So, barking or meowing would be OK?

The Scrivener
03-16-2009, 03:28 PM
So, barking or meowing would be OK?

Isn't it bad enough that he sounds like Kenny Loggins? ;)

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: bigamy illegal drinking soured milk walnut lumber buyers government workers lazy limey define compost cooked vegetables anthrax powder color arrow volley french accordian music hells angels hammer conceptual drawing definition when do fedex packages usually arrive straight and box lottery what causes affairs to end left or right ear piercing for guys home bowling lane cost what does tolo mean great big gobs of greasy grimy gopher slang for brazil nuts roto rooter pipe shield review patsy cline and willie nelson how long does a forwarded package take fukien chinese language crossword