PDA

View Full Version : Plural of gas?

Sailboat
07-09-2009, 01:23 PM
As in atmospheric gases or gasses?

US English, please.

I could swear I'm used to seeing "gasses," but I went to look it up online and I see many places and some dictionaries happily using "gases." This seems startlingly new to me.

Is this something that's in transition, or have I been reading too many British chemistry papers, or is the Web full of nitwits?

Polycarp
07-09-2009, 01:32 PM
I've always seen the single -s- version in any proofread printed material.

Machine Elf
07-09-2009, 01:48 PM
My wooden dictionary gives the plural as "gases." It gives the past-tense and gerund verb forms as "gassed" and "gassing", respectively.

TheMadEngineer
07-09-2009, 01:51 PM
This is a case of English not conforming to its own rules, again... personally I would prefer the spelling "Gasses" be used as it does not imply in any way a hard "A" sound should be used, however "Gases" is the correct spelling.

Shot From Guns
07-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Compare to bus and its plural buses. Makes you wince, but it's the official spelling.

robcaro
07-09-2009, 03:45 PM
My dictionary shows "gases or gasses."

DSYoungEsq
07-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Both are correct. I believe the -ss- is the older way, to conform with the need to show that the "a" is pronouced as a short vowel, but the more modern way is to simply add the -s or -es regardless of syllable quality.

Mangetout
07-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Actually, never mind

Chessic Sense
07-09-2009, 06:12 PM
I use "gases" as a plural noun and "gasses" as a third person singular verb.

Balthisar
07-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Compare to bus and its plural buses. Makes you wince, but it's the official spelling.
As was brought up in another thread, "busses" is still acceptable, and is my preferred spelling for the same reason that "gasses" is my preferred spelling. I'm accustomed (in the welding world) to seeing both "gases" and "gasses" depending upon the nation of origin.

Zackmo
07-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Both my dictionary and my chemistry textbook use the one-'s' spelling.

Colophon
07-10-2009, 01:25 PM
I don't think it's a British/American issue, as the single-"s" spelling is the most common one here in the UK, too.

Terminus Est
07-10-2009, 01:40 PM
The OED lists the plural as "gases" with no mention of an alternative. It gives several citations for "gases", with the earliest from 1791. There is one citation for "Gasses" from 1779, but in that case, the singular was also spelled "Gass".

TruCelt
07-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Vapors

Best Topics: reheat hot wings one parenthesis dumpster capitalized 4 quid bread slang banned cadences mama gena reviews kansas vs california houston streetwalkers tree spiking death atsc modulator hogg book meat truck scams lowes hydrangea asian shovel teeth peeled grapes eating a shoe hanr block hairy cracks vsop mean 808 police code real life resolution alcohol with bactrim dealdash woman supercharger clutch dreams of music teflon tape leaking fr?hliche geburtstag battery boiling ejaculation after castration tossed the salad stimulate cats appetite use of washers tough songs 18 dba law and order aftershock ending can alcohol withdrawal cause diarrhea faberge spider brooch price electric baseboard heater won't turn off when do most states prefer to hold their primaries ronnie milsap no glasses fig newtons are named for profiles xt assessment sample questions how long does it take for dog vaccinations to be effective received amazon package for someone else who makes clover valley foods visine eye drops for contacts is la noire a good game sea sickness patch cvs pill stuck in throat what to do why is my electric smoke detector chirping nero wolfe books in order calories bag of popcorn long bug with lots of legs and pinchers why do i sweat when i sleep when its cold executive summary before or after table of contents is yoda an alien the probability of an event that must occur is legal age to drink in germany how to drive over speed bumps jacket for 30 degree weather cover letter barnes and noble why does my cat's tail quiver how high can you jump into water and live riding the white pony urgent care for food poisoning not at this address stamp