PDA

View Full Version : Is there a polite version of "don't shit where you eat?"

Transistor Rhythm
08-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Looking for a saw, adage, whatever that doesn't have poop in it to signify the same lesson. "Don't dip your pen in the company ink" was suggested by a friend, but I think that has a different connotation.

Diogenes the Cynic
08-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Don't foul your own nest.

Don't shoot holes in your own boat.

Don't kill ur own d00dz.

KneadToKnow
08-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Depends on what you're trying to say, exactly, as the variety offered by Diogenes suggests.

pravnik
08-26-2009, 11:48 AM
The slightly more polite version is the "hamburger rule:" don't get your meat at the same place you get your bread.

ETA: Actually, that one has the same connotation as the "company ink" adage, so that might not be what your looking for.

hobscrk777
08-26-2009, 03:05 PM
"Don't excrete fecal matter where you eat"?

cactus waltz
08-26-2009, 03:22 PM
"Don't excrete fecal matter where you eat"?

Ahem.

"Don't excrete fecal matter where you digest nutritions."

Nancarrow
08-26-2009, 03:27 PM
The slightly more polite version is the "hamburger rule:" don't get your meat at the same place you get your bread.

ETA: Actually, that one has the same connotation as the "company ink" adage, so that might not be what your looking for.

Another one I like is "don't get your honey where you get your money". Which actually was the only place I ever got my honey but it worked out OK.

kunilou
08-26-2009, 03:31 PM
There's also "don't pee in the pool" and the colorful but now arcane "don't wrestle a pig in its own wallow."

Depending on what you're trying to say, there's always "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

Manduck
08-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Don't dookie where you cookie.

dracoi
08-26-2009, 03:55 PM
I've said "You're making the bed you're going to lie in" as a way of giving the same kind of warning.

Napier
08-26-2009, 04:08 PM
"Don't build the latrine upstream of the mess."

Harmonious Discord
08-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Pigs don't wallow in the trough.

cmyk
08-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Don't poop in your own mouth.

Oh, wait. That's even worse.

Daithi Lacha
08-26-2009, 04:17 PM
It's an ill bird that fouls its own nest.

A classic, but there's that poop again!

Markxxx
08-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Don't cut off your nose to spite your face

Harmonious Discord
08-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Dissidents will be shot.

Close, but maybe not close enough.:)

Machine Elf
08-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Dont poo wer u nom

don't mind me
08-26-2009, 05:22 PM
No fishing off the company pier.

drachillix
08-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Looking for a saw, adage, whatever that doesn't have poop in it to signify the same lesson. "Don't dip your pen in the company ink" was suggested by a friend, but I think that has a different connotation.

No love for "Dont mix business with pleasure"?

Harmonious Discord
08-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Don't eat asparagus for the drug test.

The Great Philosopher
08-26-2009, 05:46 PM
I think it would help if you explain the context a bit more. "Don't shit where you eat" usually refers to avoiding romantic endeavors at work, but if that is the context you're talking about then I'm not sure I understand why you're rejecting "don't dip your pen in the company ink" as having a different connotation.

Bryan Ekers
08-26-2009, 05:47 PM
"You watch Mad Men? Well, don't do what they do."

Kizarvexius
08-26-2009, 06:10 PM
He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind.

capybara
08-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Don't rock the boat, especially if you're in it?

Magiver
08-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Don't Piss in the Well (http://museumofconceptualart.com/songs/dontpiss.html)

kaylasdad99
08-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball?

Bartman
08-26-2009, 07:36 PM
I think it would help if you explain the context a bit more. "Don't shit where you eat" usually refers to avoiding romantic endeavors at work, but if that is the context you're talking about then I'm not sure I understand why you're rejecting "don't dip your pen in the company ink" as having a different connotation.

I'm not the OP, but I've always taken the first to have a far broader meaning than the later. Dipping your pen in company ink has an almost exclusively sexual connotations. Where as shitting where you eat, can include any non work activity including 3 hour martini lunches, e-bay, facebook (much of the internet really), or anything else other than what you are supposed to be doing.

KneadToKnow
08-26-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm not the OP, but I've always taken the first to have a far broader meaning than the later. Dipping your pen in company ink has an almost exclusively sexual connotations. Where as shitting where you eat, can include any non work activity including 3 hour martini lunches, e-bay, facebook (much of the internet really), or anything else other than what you are supposed to be doing.

Concur. The most straightforward equivalent to "don't shit where you eat" I know of is the aforementioned "don't mix business with pleasure." But because different people have different associations with even that fairly innocuous phrase, I too was hoping to get a better sense from the OP of what they meant to warn against in literal terms.

bengangmo
08-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Ahem.

"Don't excrete fecal matter where you digest nutritions."

Don't excrete fecal matter where you ingest nutritions

Transistor Rhythm
08-26-2009, 08:58 PM
I guess I just hear it used as a sort of generic, catch-all "avoid all conflicts of interest" warning, whether they're personal, sexual, professional, whatever - just as a sort of tough-guy way of pointing out a potential conflict of interest that someone may be heading into.

Rhythmdvl
08-27-2009, 02:07 AM
Don't tug on Superman's cape?

Don't spit into the wind?

Don't pull the mask off an old Lone Ranger?

Don't mess around with Jim?

Best Topics: snl belissima jar of pimentos opposite of ocd hymie shameless long popsicles ilovethefishes song blvd stand for grandfather seizures shadowrun background psg1 trigger baby mole snakes in vietnam sibling sexuality experiences synagogue vs temple madeline rhue toaster oven cake cheques vs checks brompheniramine otc amdro gopher gasser completed puzzles penguin taste stalin handsome ohta faction mercurochrome wiki racoon intelligence leftover meatball ideas hand cycle machine fax digital line three lane archive mac11 full auto mary and rhoda uncut geode fun clicker games mirror screen saver how to open a filing cabinet without key clearing check engine light before inspection dark side cookies meme is high mileage oil bad for a car fever like symptoms no temperature blood type on birth certificate what does clicks mean in military terms fire extinguisher in eye how to use a cable auger iphone keeps disconnecting and reconnecting to computer why do my allergies get worse at night tractor trailer fuel tank capacity where does the word gattaca originate from do i have a dvd burner best font for business letters are dogs allowed in petco check oil light blinking how long car battery last without driving us drivers and canadian traffic tickets revenge pictures of your ex girlfriend can sugar go bad gas in diesel tank spokane to missoula driving time grow spurt at 18 what is amnesia like average cost to replumb a house origin of wendy name superb choice laptop batteries reviews hit a deer and didn't call police what is a city block longest river in united states mercurochrome with mercury for sale how real is the sopranos