PDA

View Full Version : Was Mr. Pibb ever marketed and advertised in any proactive way?

Argent Towers
08-28-2009, 12:47 PM
The thread about hipsters and PBR got me thinking...I've always wondered about Mr. Pibb, the Coca-Cola version of Dr. Pepper, and why you don't see any advertisements for it. I think it's actually the best drink of the Coke family besides Coke itself, and yet, it exists basically in a vacuum. If a vending machine has it, then you can buy it, and I guess you can purchase it at a supermarket too. But you never see ads for it on TV, in magazines, on the radio, or anywhere else. There's no cachet associated with it whatsoever; you never even hear people talk about it. In fact, off the top of my head, I can't even really recall what the Mr. Pibb can actually looks like.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon about the dark horse of sodas?

pravnik
08-28-2009, 12:56 PM
It used to be, in the 70's. I remember the jingle for the TV commercial, something like "so have a Mr. Pibb, mister!"

Drygon
08-28-2009, 12:59 PM
I think I saw ads for it a few years ago on TV but that was in Atlanta (major Coke area).

However, I have to disagree with your premise that it actually tastes good. Compared to Dr. Pepper, Mr. Pibb tastes like they took water a monkey shit in that they then ran through the ass of a cow and let the pigs drink and then bottled their steaming diarrhea (IMHO).

Nars Glinley
08-28-2009, 01:01 PM
There definitely were Mr. Pibb commercials. The first 30 seconds of this youtube (http://youtube.com/watch?v=YqR9ut3X8-U) link has one that I vaguely remember. I have no idea why Coke doesn't market the stuff, given Dr. Pepper's popularity.

silenus
08-28-2009, 01:09 PM
I don't think Coke needs to advertise Mr. Pibb. If they have a lock on a restaurants soda business, it will be an option at the fountain. Why bother to try to knock off Dr Pepper when they don't stand a chance? Just make the alternative available and save your advertising dollars.

kenobi 65
08-28-2009, 01:25 PM
(Disclaimer: I work in advertising, and used to have Dr Pepper's parent company as a client.)

In a fair number of markets, the local Coca-Cola bottler also bottles Dr Pepper, and the other brands from that company (including 7Up, A&W, Canada Dry, etc.) I would imagine that, in those markets, they don't make much, if any, Mr. Pibb.

For that matter, the beverage companies do *very* little advertising behind their smaller brands, especially the brands in the traditional soft-drink segments, like Mr. Pibb. They put the lion's share of their marketing support behind (a) "new age beverages", such as sports drinks and teas, and (b) diet sodas.

Freddy the Pig
08-28-2009, 02:34 PM
In a fair number of markets, the local Coca-Cola bottler also bottles Dr Pepper, and the other brands from that company (including 7Up, A&W, Canada Dry, etc.) I would imagine that, in those markets, they don't make much, if any, Mr. Pibb.That must be why I never see it in the Chicago area. I never knew what it was until I went to college and partook of an occasional Mr. Pibb. That was like, 30 years ago and I haven't had one since.

Easy_Easter
08-28-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm a fan of the "Mr." and "Dr." beverages, even enjoyinig the generics. From a brand-loyalty standpoint, "Pepper" is my favorite, and I even have a pair of Dr. Pepper pajamas (D.P.PJ.'s). When I go to a restaurant, I order as follows: "Dr. Pepper...or Mr. Pibb". Most of the time, the server comes back with "Is root beer okay?" Root beer, really? Sometimes they try to foist a cherry Coke on me. NOT THE SAME THING!!! Ugh.

As far as advertising, Mr. Pibb's lack of advertising sure beats Dr. Pepper's lame ad campaigns... l love the beverage, but loathe the marketing. I am sort of embarrassed for them. Bring David Naughton back...

Never Say Dice
08-28-2009, 03:18 PM
I recall that Mr. Pibb and Sprite were created specifically to kill off the programs that 7-UP and Royal-Crown Cola and Dr. Pepper had to place their own brands of vending machines with national gas stations. By offering to stock all the flavors with one supplier, they had the upper hand. So Coke never wanted it to succeed, only that competitors to Coke should fail.

myskepticsight
08-28-2009, 03:56 PM
I've always been a fan of Pibb. As a kid I saw it a lot more often. Now it's not in most gas stations I visit. Last night I went to a random gas station on the way home from campus and they had it so I bought one. Tastes better out of a can though, as does Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew and 7up.

Irishman
08-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Back in the '70s they had commercials, but I haven't heard or seen any since the early '80s. (Going strictly by memory, no cites.)

Nowadays, it isn't even Mr Pibb anymore. It's "Pibb Xtra" - whatever that Pibb stuff is, they put extra in.

I kinda like it every once in a while. It doesn't taste quite like Dr Pepper, but it tastes distinct enough from Coke to be a change.

Cardinal
08-28-2009, 05:34 PM
This seems like the thread to ask this:

It's been a good while since I had a Dr. Pepper that really gave that plum-and-vanilla taste. I usually drink the diet, but even when I do get the regular stuff, it doesn't seem to really get it "right". I can distinctly remember getting that taste from the last squirt-in-a-cup vending machine I've used, in about 2001. Is it using different sugars? Aeration? Aliens?

Kingspades
08-28-2009, 05:45 PM
I remember a Mr. Pibb radio campaign from roughly ten years ago. It used the unfortunate slogan, "Put it in your head." The commercial I remember was a bunch of disjoint snips of songs and voices, as if you were channel surfing. My favorite part of the spot was the over-the-top radio announcer voice plugging, "The great taste of Mr. Pibb! Now in the convenient five hundred thousand gallon drum!" That's still the first thing I think anytime I see Mr. Pibb for sale.

Oakminster
08-28-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm a fan of the "Mr." and "Dr." beverages, even enjoyinig the generics. From a brand-loyalty standpoint, "Pepper" is my favorite, and I even have a pair of Dr. Pepper pajamas (D.P.PJ.'s)...

There are forums where mentioning that you have DP PJs might get you an awful lot of email....
:p

Cisco
08-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Nowadays, it isn't even Mr Pibb anymore. It's "Pibb Xtra" - whatever that Pibb stuff is, they put extra in.

I've heard that they added more caffeine when they changed it to "Pibb Xtra", though I don't know for sure if that's true. It was just a moronic move, if you ask me. EVERYONE still calls it Mr. Pibb, and no one seems to know what, if anything, they changed. Or why.

installLSC
08-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Bob Hope (no not THAT Bob Hope but a PR man) wrote a book about his stint with the Atlanta Braves called "We Could've Finished Last Without You". In that book, he also mentioned he tried to market Mr. Pibb. The problem was that Dr. Pepper-like beverages don't have a generic flavor like cola, root beer, and orange sodas. He remembered struggling to mention Mr. Pibb without saying it tasted like Dr. Pepper, and he concluded this is why you don't see much Mr. Pibb marketing.
Then again, Mr. Pibb has a suprisingly high profile due to being the only Pepper like option at Coke fountains. Remember Ramblin' root beer? Unlike Mr. Pibb, you never saw that soda outside of restaurants. Yet since my college was Coke only, I had Ramblin' tons of times. Coke phased Ramblin' out in favor of Barq's when it bought that brand. That's a shame because I legitimately liked Ramblin'.

Argent Towers
08-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Bob Hope (no not THAT Bob Hope but a PR man) wrote a book about his stint with the Atlanta Braves called "We Could've Finished Last Without You". In that book, he also mentioned he tried to market Mr. Pibb. The problem was that Dr. Pepper-like beverages don't have a generic flavor like cola, root beer, and orange sodas.

This is a very good point. What is the name for that Dr. Pepper/Mr. Pibb drink? As a kid, I was always told that it was supposed to be prune-flavored (and that Dr. Pepper used artificial prune flavoring whereas Mr. Pibb used the real thing.) But that doesn't seem to make much sense and the guy who told me was (and still is) a big bullshitter who makes up a lot of nonsense.

Fun fact: Wikipedia says that "In the 1990s, the marketers of Mr. Pibb distributed a video game. It featured a cartoon man similar to the cartoon used on the original Mr. Pibb can, whose mission was to escape from a school inhabited by zombies. He defeated the zombies by burping at them and he could increase his burp capacity by drinking Mr. Pibb. This video game was played through MS-DOS on a PC, and was distributed in floppy disk format (3.5" diskette) and (less common) PC CD-ROM."

Lynn Bodoni
08-29-2009, 12:47 AM

It's been a good while since I had a Dr. Pepper that really gave that plum-and-vanilla taste. I usually drink the diet, but even when I do get the regular stuff, it doesn't seem to really get it "right". I can distinctly remember getting that taste from the last squirt-in-a-cup vending machine I've used, in about 2001. Is it using different sugars? Aeration? Aliens? The manufacturers have almost certainly switched from cane sugar to high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). HFCS is cheaper than cane sugar, but it does give a different taste to the food it's in.

I, personally, can't stand Sierra Mist, which is Pepsi's version of Sprite and 7 Up. Any restaurant that contracts with Pepsico isn't going to carry 7 Up or Sprite, it'll only carry Sierra Mist, and that means that I can't get a soda from that restaurant. Sierra Mist is NASTY.

NDP
08-29-2009, 12:58 AM
What is the name for that Dr. Pepper/Mr. Pibb drink? As a kid, I was always told that it was supposed to be prune-flavored (and that Dr. Pepper used artificial prune flavoring whereas Mr. Pibb used the real thing.) But that doesn't seem to make much sense and the guy who told me was (and still is) a big bullshitter who makes up a lot of nonsense.

I haven't had a Mr. Pibb in years so I don't if this is still true but the difference between it and Dr. Pepper used to be that Mr. Pibb had chocolate in it whereas Dr. Pepper had the aforementioned prune juice. Does Mr. Pibb still have chocolate as part of its formula?

BigT
08-29-2009, 01:05 AM

It's been a good while since I had a Dr. Pepper that really gave that plum-and-vanilla taste. I usually drink the diet, but even when I do get the regular stuff, it doesn't seem to really get it "right". I can distinctly remember getting that taste from the last squirt-in-a-cup vending machine I've used, in about 2001. Is it using different sugars? Aeration? Aliens?

Also, vending machine versions generally have more carbonation and less syrup. I find that Sonic is the only drink place that gets it right any more.

jackdavinci
08-29-2009, 04:11 AM
Don't they sing about Mr Pibb in "Lazy Sunday"?

Harvey The Heavy
08-29-2009, 05:55 AM
The closest I've seen to a Mr. Pibb commercial was that American Dad episode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.T._the_Abusive_Terrestrial).

Here in SoCal, Pibb is only available at fountain locations, usually McDonald's and Del Taco. I really wish I could get it at the store.

Jophiel
08-29-2009, 09:29 AM
I remember a Mr. Pibb radio campaign from roughly ten years ago. It used the unfortunate slogan, "Put it in your head."I think the campaign was earlier than that. Early or mid 90's?

My friends and I would bark "Put it in your head!" at one another when we saw one of us drinking a Mr. Pibb. Not really because it was trendy or anything -- we were mainly laughing at what a stupid and unappealing slogan it was for a food product.

kenobi 65
08-29-2009, 01:07 PM
The manufacturers have almost certainly switched from cane sugar to high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). HFCS is cheaper than cane sugar, but it does give a different taste to the food it's in.

True, though they undoubtedly made that switch well before 2001.

Fountain drinks will sometimes have a very different taste than bottles/cans, depending on how the machine is calibrated (syrup level, carbonation level).

Also, I know that, at least up until a few years ago, the "original" Dr Pepper bottler down in Texas was still making it with cane sugar.

Cisco
08-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Also, I know that, at least up until a few years ago, the "original" Dr Pepper bottler down in Texas was still making it with cane sugar.

They still do, it's called Dublin Dr. Pepper. They claim that's the ONLY PLACE IN THE WOOORLD you can get it, but there's a shop in Scottsdale that sells it.

GardeningSpirit
08-29-2009, 01:43 PM
I have a hard time finding diet Mt. Dew. There's regular Mt. Dew all the time, but for some reason the diet is very rare. I'm thinking they are going to stop making it.

Cisco
08-29-2009, 01:48 PM
I have a hard time finding diet Mt. Dew. There's regular Mt. Dew all the time, but for some reason the diet is very rare. I'm thinking they are going to stop making it.
I think soda is still far more regional than we realize. I have been looking for 2-liters of Caffeine-Free Coke for years here and have not found one. Occasionally I'll see a 12-pack of cans, but never a 2-liter. And 3 of the most popular sodas where I grew up are unavailable here (Cheerwine, Sun Drop, and Mello Yello. And Mello Yello is a Coke product for god's sake.) Big Red, which is readily available here, was unavailable back home. My sister-in-law drinks Diet Mt. Dew and I've never heard her mention having trouble finding it.

Irishman
08-29-2009, 03:48 PM
I think the Caffeine Free Coke thing is a marketing decision. I haven't been able to find it in 2L either for several years. I buy it in 12 packs, which are reasonably available, but nobody carries 2L.

Cisco said:
I've heard that they added more caffeine when they changed it to "Pibb Xtra", though I don't know for sure if that's true. It was just a moronic move, if you ask me. EVERYONE still calls it Mr. Pibb, and no one seems to know what, if anything, they changed. Or why.

Yeah, that was really the point of my mocking. I seem to recall they made it with extra caffeine. This is when Jolt cola hit the market, and Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew were known for their caffeine as much as their flavor. But the name "Pibb Xtra" does not really convey that, and since their marketing is almost nil anyway, when you do see the can and remember it as Mr. Pibb, you kinda get lost and wonder what "Pibb" actually is, and why they put in extra.

Markxxx
08-29-2009, 03:59 PM
It would cost too much to hire Scott Baio and David Naughton to sign in a Mr Pibb commercial :)

joebuck20
08-29-2009, 05:58 PM

I notice that too. However the Dublin, TX-made Dr. Pepper still has that distinct flavor. I used to live in Texas, where you could procure it at any specialty grocery store. However it is hard to find elsewhere in the country.

GrandWino
08-29-2009, 07:08 PM
I just want to add that Mr. Pibb + Red Vines = Crazy Delicious (http://nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/chronicles-of-narnia-lazy-sunday/2921/).

Cisco
08-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Yeah, that was really the point of my mocking. I seem to recall they made it with extra caffeine. This is when Jolt cola hit the market, and Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew were known for their caffeine as much as their flavor.
I have no idea when Jolt Cola actually debuted, but I first had it in the '80s; Mr. Pibb was renamed Pibb Xtra sometime this decade. Also, Dr. Pepper's caffeine content is merely average among popular sodas.

drastic_quench
08-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Interestingly, Dr. Pepper isn't owned by Pepsi, it's a product of Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc. (formerly Cadbury Schweppes Americas Beverages).

If I order pop at a restaurant, it's Coke. If they have Pepsi products, my first question is "Dr. Pepper?". I'd never bother with Sr. Pibb, because I'd always go with Coke.

DadWagonDriver
08-29-2009, 11:03 PM
They still do, it's called Dublin Dr. Pepper. They claim that's the ONLY PLACE IN THE WOOORLD you can get it, but there's a shop in Scottsdale that sells it.

Directions, please!

TBG
08-30-2009, 01:22 AM
Around here Dr Pepper is Coke's version of Dr Pepper, except at some restaurant fountains were Pibb Xtra is Coke's version of Dr Pepper. Quite confusing, but I just drinks whatever they gots.

(yeah I know all about how coke distributes it in some regions, not in others, don't think you have to fight ignorance for me there)

Cisco
08-30-2009, 01:32 AM
Directions, please!
It's called Pop the Soda Shop. It's just east of Scottsdale road on McDowell. Google it. You're going to want rock-solid directions because it's hard to see if you're headed west. It's kind of set back a little on the north side of the road. They have everything conceivably available in the US, and occasionally even some things that aren't supposed to be available in the US.

usar_jag
08-30-2009, 07:15 AM
(Disclaimer: I work in advertising, and used to have Dr Pepper's parent company as a client.)

In a fair number of markets, the local Coca-Cola bottler also bottles Dr Pepper, and the other brands from that company (including 7Up, A&W, Canada Dry, etc.) I would imagine that, in those markets, they don't make much, if any, Mr. Pibb.This is partially true. I used to work for Coca-Cola Enterprises. We did, in fact, bottle Dr. Pepper in our market place, and the Pepsi Americas plant less than 5 miles away bottled Dr. Pepper, as well. By contract, Pepsi could sell the product in the metro area. CCE had to ship the Dr. Pepper to other markets.

We also bottled a lot of Mr. Pibb in our location, so the fact the we contracted with Cadbury Schwepps, did not affect the volume of Pibb that we bottled.

Dignan
08-30-2009, 04:43 PM
I think I remember the radio commercials for Pibb. Maybe there was a TV campaign on Channel 1 News, in the late 90's? I think I remember seeing TV commercials for it, but I'm not certain. Though I'm not sure they need much marketing, since the only time I would ever drink it was when I would ask for Dr. Pepper at a restaurant, and the waitstaff would say they have Mr. Pibb instead. I didn't ever seek it out, and have a feeling most people see it as a substitute. I rarely drink soda anymore.

This is a very good point. What is the name for that Dr. Pepper/Mr. Pibb drink? As a kid, I was always told that it was supposed to be prune-flavored (and that Dr. Pepper used artificial prune flavoring whereas Mr. Pibb used the real thing.) But that doesn't seem to make much sense and the guy who told me was (and still is) a big bullshitter who makes up a lot of nonsense.

I've heard the Dr. Pepper flavor described as caramel flavored soda.

Cisco
08-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Dr. Pepper does not taste remotely like prunes or caramel to me. The most common flavor I've heard people ascribe to it is cherry, but it does not taste remotely like cherries to me, either. It tastes like Dr. Pepper. Similarly, I tried for the longest time to pin down the flavor of Red Bull, and eventually had to just resign to the fact that it tastes like Red Bull.

(cue the jokes about how it tastes like [something gross]; played out.)

Mehitabel
08-30-2009, 07:44 PM
Here in NYC, Pibb is found on soda fountains in Chipotles and Burger Kings.

I seem to remember a commercial when I was very little with the lyrics, "Mr. Pibb, it goes down smooth, Mr. Pibb". Don't know why they wouldn't keep that campaign going.

Sir T-Cups
08-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Dr. Pepper does not taste remotely like prunes or caramel to me. The most common flavor I've heard people ascribe to it is cherry, but it does not taste remotely like cherries to me, either. It tastes like Dr. Pepper. Similarly, I tried for the longest time to pin down the flavor of Red Bull, and eventually had to just resign to the fact that it tastes like Red Bull.

(cue the jokes about how it tastes like [something gross]; played out.)

Red Bull tastes like crushed liquidated "Smarties".

Also, I always enjoyed Pibb better than Pepper, and was very disappointed when they changed the name from Mr. Pibb to Pibb Xtra.

(Plus Pepper was all hoity-toity with his doctorate. Asshole

Steampunk Willie
08-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Similarly, I tried for the longest time to pin down the flavor of Red Bull, and eventually had to just resign to the fact that it tastes like Red Bull.

The main flavour is grapefruit and I would be suprised to find out anyone who has had one didn't realize that. I'd say its closest flavor cousin would be Fresca. Red Bull is just its Big City cousin that picked up an ecstacy addiction.

WarmNPrickly
08-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Red bull doesn't have the bitter taste of grapefruit. I think I'd love an energy drink that tasted like grapefruit. Red bull is just liquid Smarties.

Cisco
08-31-2009, 12:29 AM
The main flavour is grapefruit and I would be suprised to find out anyone who has had one didn't realize that. I'd say its closest flavor cousin would be Fresca. Red Bull is just its Big City cousin that picked up an ecstacy addiction.

This is a joke, right? Beyond tasting not even remotely similar to grapefruit, googling "red bull" grapefruit doesn't seem to return any relevant results, and this (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=413050) is a 2-page thread discussing the flavor of Red Bull, wherein not one person mentions grapefruit.

Least Original User Name Ever
08-31-2009, 10:01 AM
Also, vending machine versions generally have more carbonation and less syrup. I find that Sonic is the only drink place that gets it right any more.

It's probably you. If it's even a halfway decent chain, Pepsi or Coke will come in periodiucally to adjust the mix and make sure it's spot on to ensure that people are getting an accurate product at every store.

Red Skeezix
08-31-2009, 02:05 PM
In my area Mr. Pibb is unheard of due to both Coke and Pepsi selling Dr. Pepper. I think you can tell the difference by the shape of the bottle, as the Coke version has the funnel shaped bottle.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: starfleet enlisted ranks shogun rice recipe safety football definition arabic skin tone black syphilis fencing crime d2 skullders boil baked potatoes briefcase with handcuffs ayla and jondalar living in sedona anaesthetic pronunciation oatmeal box hot mess urban dictionary off the beaten path boston how many udders do cows have enfocus studio dresses at ross what does marzipan smell like babies looking in mirrors best man speeches for dad how many ways can you spell steven is white merlot a red wine medical nitrous tanks for sale how long can you leave cheese out at room temperature dog chicken bones myth open a can of woop ass as popular war advances peace is closer