PDA

View Full Version : What's the word for people with no limbs?

Turpentine
12-30-2000, 06:39 PM
I need a word for these fraternal twins I know who are thalydimide babies-

They don't have any arms or legs.

they can't be called amputees, because they were born that way.

What's a polite way of referring to their condition?

jcgmoi
12-30-2000, 06:55 PM
Webster says apodal, having no limbs, feet, or foot-like appendages.

Accented on 1st syllable.

zev_steinhardt
12-30-2000, 07:35 PM
No legs: paraplegic
No arms/legs quadraplegic

Zev Steinhardt

Derleth
12-30-2000, 07:48 PM
[bad joke]
First base.
[/bad joke]
While I think apodal might be the technically correct term, I would simply say limbless to be sure of being understood.
[nitpickin' good fun]
I always though the Latin root pod- simply meant foot, hence gastropod (stomach-footed) and cephalopod (head-footed).
[/nits done been picked]

Yeah
12-30-2000, 08:39 PM
The general term for "Gross hypo- or aplasia of one or more long bones of one or more limbs" is ectromelia. "The concept includes amelia, hemimelia, and phocomelia." (from the National Library of Medicine)

Note: hypoplasia is "a condition of arrested development in which an organ or part remains below the normal size or in an immature state." From Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. Aplasia is when an organ or part fails to develop at all.

The form of ectromelia associated with exposure to thalidomide in utero is "phocomelia" which is a particular type of hypolasia in which the limbs are "seal-like," hence the term phocomelia which means "seal limbs."

Yeah
12-30-2000, 08:46 PM
"No legs: paraplegic
No arms/legs quadraplegic"
No cigar.

The "plegic" part of both words denotes paralysis. If a person doesn't have a limb the limb cannot be considered paralyzed so a person without legs couldn't be paraplegic and a person without arms/legs couldn't be quadriplegic.

Anonymous Coward
12-30-2000, 09:50 PM
<another bad joke>
Q: What do you call a man with no arms or legs in a swimming pool?

A: Bob

:)

Booker57
12-30-2000, 09:51 PM
<hijack>
What do you call a man with no arms or legs?
Matt

Where do you find a dog with no legs?
Right where you left it.
<hijack>

fenrir
12-30-2000, 11:14 PM
What do you do with a dog that has no legs?
Take him for a drag.

What do you call a cow with no legs?
Ground beef.

Rysdad
12-30-2000, 11:23 PM
Under a car: Jack

In a pothole: Phil

King Rat
12-30-2000, 11:53 PM
Hanging on a mountain ledge: Cliff

Hanging on a wall: Art

jb_farley
12-31-2000, 12:08 AM
two of em standing by a window?

Curt 'n' Rod.

jb

jb_farley
12-31-2000, 12:09 AM
What do you do with a dog that has no legs?
Take him for a drag.

Why did the guy call his dog with no legs "Cigarette"?

Cuz every once in a while he'd take him out for a drag.

jb

manhattan
12-31-2000, 12:16 AM
As pleased as I am to encounter jokes that are actually older than I am, could we please dispense with the wisecracks and help out the OP, if a scientific term exists besides apodal?

jb_farley
12-31-2000, 12:40 AM
you mean I didn't make that up?

jb

Speaker for the Dead
12-31-2000, 01:13 AM
There was a thread about people without limbs, I think.

I just have to say these two:

What do you call a cow with 2 legs?

Lean beef

What do you call a cow with no legs on the side of a hill?

Lean groud beef

Max the Immortal
12-31-2000, 03:09 AM
What's a polite way of referring to their condition? [/B]

Basket case?

*ducks and runs*

jb_farley
12-31-2000, 03:14 AM
I just learned the other day where that phrase comes from!

That's hilarious! (but mean- ahem, yes very mean)

jb,
tee hee

zev_steinhardt
12-31-2000, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Yeah

The "plegic" part of both words denotes paralysis. If a person doesn't have a limb the limb cannot be considered paralyzed so a person without legs couldn't be paraplegic and a person without arms/legs couldn't be quadriplegic.

After checking m-w.com, I see that you are right. I stand corrected and thank you Yeah.

Zev Steinhardt

12-31-2000, 08:57 AM
I was watching a show last night about old-style Sideshows, with interviews of people who had been in some. The monkey-faced girl, the alligator boy, the human balloon, the half-girl and the dog-boy (not all were interviewed).

I realise that this definitely doesn't apply to all people like this, but these freaks were perfectly satisfied referring to themselves as freaks. 'twas really cool, too.

handy
12-31-2000, 09:56 AM
blessedwolf, yes, they can call themselves that, you can't.

But there is a video called Freak City. Kinda cute.

As for what to call these other people, it's best to ask them.

AskNott
12-31-2000, 12:07 PM
Hold it. Stop. Bite yer keyboard. No more jokes about the limbless, please.

Once you give up your decency to get a cheap laugh, you'll soon be asking (shudder!):
1.What do you tell a woman with two black eyes?
2.How is a black man like an apple?
3.How many Jews can you fit into a VW Beetle?

jb_farley
12-31-2000, 12:46 PM
how many?

Derleth
12-31-2000, 12:58 PM
jb:
Think about it. That's one joke so bad even I won't crack it. Shame on him for mentioning it.

Anachronism
12-31-2000, 01:19 PM
Let's stop giving Manhattan a hard time and send all the bad jokes here ---> Here (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=53342), I posted two of the answers for AskNott's jokes.

AskNott
12-31-2000, 07:05 PM
I did not post the punch lines, because the jokes are bigoted, despicable trash. I signed off after I posted them, so that I could go wash my hands. My point, if it sailed over your head, was that telling jokes at the expense of cripples puts you in the same category as Klansmen, Nazis, and wife-beaters. The pond scum category, that is.

--Nott

SomeRunner2001
03-04-2018, 12:39 PM
17 long years later:

A cripple.

With so many people using the word these days it's fair to say that it's lost a lot of its derogatori-ness.

Jk

Also, holy crap! This thread was created 5 months before I was born! It's insane to think that these words were posted before 9/11, Youtube, touchscreen phones and so much more.

The world has truly changed so much since then.

Colibri
03-04-2018, 12:45 PM
SomeRunner2001, we prefer that old threads in General Questions only be bumped to provide new factual information. "Cripple" isn't a specific word for the condition asked about by the OP, and so doesn't answer the question. Therefore I'm closing this.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: most useless element 2x4x8 lowes r'lyeh quote embarrassing fart is chloroform deadly cephalexin for chlamydia sumo wrestler testicles girl seeing tang astronauts omeprazole cvs religious thing klebsiella planticola coke ii doctor wants to see me after blood test not urgent what happens to returned items hodges-directory.us what is my thumb is numb 2 hour parking rules after 6pm calories in 12 oz mountain dew what happens if you snort keef funny jokes for cancer patients what are vending machines in black mass funny garden club names dog digging under fence solutions