PDA

View Full Version : Baseball: how do I score this?

zamboniracer
09-23-2009, 09:12 AM
During last night's Cleveland Indians vs. Detroit Tigers game there was a play where the batter was out because the batted (actually bunted) ball hit him while he was in fair territory after leaving the batter's box on his way toward first base. I was keeping score at the game and understand that the catcher gets the put out. My question is, what do I write down in the little box on my scorecard for this play?

Freddy the Pig
09-23-2009, 09:56 AM
During last night's Cleveland Indians vs. Detroit Tigers game there was a play where the batter was out because the batted (actually bunted) ball hit him while he was in fair territory after leaving the batter's box on his way toward first base. I was keeping score at the game and understand that the catcher gets the put out. My question is, what do I write down in the little box on my scorecard for this play?I write down 2U-INT, with the little squiggle line underneath it to indicate a bunt. The U means unassisted to distinguish it from a pop-fly, just as you write 3U on a grounder to first base. The INT indicates that there was an interference call. Of course there is no one standard system of scoring and everybody will have their own preferences.

ElvisL1ves
09-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Of course there is no one standard system of scoring and everybody will have their own preferences.
Phil Rizzuto was said to use a notation of "WW" - for "Wasn't Watching". ;)

zamboniracer
09-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Phil Rizzuto was said to use a notation of "WW" - for "Wasn't Watching". ;)

That's the thing. I WAS watching. (WHY I was attending the Indians/Tigers game is a different question. :D )

The Indians usually post the scoring notations for difficult play on a small panel at the bottom right side on the huge left field scoreboard. For this particular play they punted and left that panel empty. :rolleyes:

RickJay
09-23-2009, 03:42 PM
It's such an unusual occurrence that it probably never occurred to anyone to come up with a standard notation, though "INT" is pretty common and logical to denote interference.

Whenever weird-ass plays happen if I'm scoring, what I often do is put a star (or two stars, or three, if it's a game with a lot of weird stuff) next to the play and actually describe it on the bottom of the scoresheet. So I'd have noted that as 2U* and then at the bottom something like "* - Smith out int. contact w/ own bunted ball"

ElvisL1ves
09-23-2009, 05:55 PM
That's the thing. I WAS watching.But the guy who let his own batted ball hit him wasn't. :D

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: halls candies best pineapple vodka bernie rhodenbarr vsop means niggertoe nut everclear illegal shrimp feces backward hats song title baby american dvds defibrillator paddles clear genghis khan pronounced lorne armstrong firefighters oxygen tank pod cost vs uhaul super bowl boxes payouts swimming in gym shorts why do dogs hump stuffed animals definition of dude hair how to make braunschweiger sausage pop start an automatic what is updating offline areas song plays in itunes but not on ipod blocked devices list xfinity robert hanssen in prison mice in insulation in basement never buy unfrosted ever