PDA

View Full Version : Snappy Answers to the Question "How Are You"?

HeyHomie
01-22-2010, 11:42 AM
I'm bored of saying "fine" every time I'm asked this. I'd like something positive and uplifting, rather than negative or snarky.

So far the best I've been able to come up with is "If I were any better I'd be twins."

Jelly Roll
01-22-2010, 11:44 AM
The receptionist at our office often replies with, "I'm so happy I have to sit on my hands to keep from clapping." Cracks me up every time.

Lanzy
01-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Its not a question, its a greeting.

Fine, how are you? Is the correct response.

RTFirefly
01-22-2010, 11:57 AM
I like "Quite how, thank you."

Wallenstein
01-22-2010, 11:59 AM
"Hangin' loose and full of juice"

tdn
01-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Awesome!

Valgard
01-22-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm bored of saying "fine" every time I'm asked this. I'd like something positive and uplifting, rather than negative or snarky.

So far the best I've been able to come up with is "If I were any better I'd be twins."

Fine? Bullshit! Hair is fine. How's your hair? Fine! That makes a lot more sense to me. I say "I'm not unwell thank you" or "I'm moderately neato" if I'm in a particularly jaunty mood.

I know a woman who responds to "How are you?" with "Blessed". She's a pretty cheery lady.

Shade
01-22-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm in the UK, and I often try to give a basic response embellished with a bit of information as an opening to conversation if the other person wants. Something like:

Hi! How are you?
I'm good! I just [interesting fact]

But then I visited America, and discovered that what everyone said is true. "How are you?" is more like "How do you do", and replying to "how are you" literally is nearly as weird as to "how do you do"? ("I don't know, how do you do what?" :)) If I tried the above, it'd be more like:

How are you?
I'm good! I--
I'm fine. What can I do for you today?

So in short, I'd think about giving up on snappy and settling on maybe "great" :)

PoorYorick
01-22-2010, 12:53 PM
I know a woman who responds to "How are you?" with "Blessed". She's a pretty cheery lady.
Gah, I'm starting to positively hate that. In my neck of the woods, it's generally said by sanctimonious twits. "Have a blessed day," pronounced in two syllables: "bless-ed."

Sorry, personal problem, I know.

Gagundathar
01-22-2010, 12:55 PM
I like to reply, "I don't know. I've never tried me."
That usually gets me a general WTF look.
Works REALLY well with upper management.

jali
01-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Gah, I'm starting to positively hate that. In my neck of the woods, it's generally said by sanctimonious twits. "Have a blessed day," pronounced in two syllables: "bless-ed."

I hate this! Hate it.

Since I moved to Atlanta, I hear this on a regular basis. Ugh.

Randy Seltzer
01-22-2010, 01:02 PM
My smart-ass answer to "How are you?" or "How are you doing?":

"I'm rockin' pretty hard. I'd give myself about a seven and a half. Maybe an eight."

If they're game, they'll often follow up with: "Seven and a half? What's that out of?" (It's surprising how consistently I get this.)

To which I'll usually respond: "Three! WOOOO!!!"

palindromemordnilap
01-22-2010, 01:05 PM
"Your attempt at social interaction is hereby acknowledged."

melodyharmonius
01-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Some of the things I say:

Just peachy keeny ducky!
Fantastic! (in the Dr. Who voice, of course)
Outstanding!
Fabulicious!
Hunky dory, morning glory

Yeah, I roll like that.:cool:

melodyharmonius
01-22-2010, 01:07 PM
"Your attempt at social interaction is hereby acknowledged."

roflmao. I could totally hear my SO saying that. I don't have the dry wit to carry it off. I'm too bubbly.

Jackknifed Juggernaut
01-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Maybe one day you'll be lucky enough to find out. ;)

Yllaria
01-22-2010, 01:14 PM
I know someone who always says, "I'm better than I was, but not nearly as good as I'm going to be." He's a deliberate positive thinker. And I see him seldom enough that I forget and walk right back into it.

RandMcnally
01-22-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm doing rather well, thank you.

Indistinguishable
01-22-2010, 01:18 PM
My smart-ass answer to "How are you?" or "How are you doing?":

"I'm rockin' pretty hard. I'd give myself about a seven and a half. Maybe an eight."

If they're game, they'll often follow up with: "Seven and a half? What's that out of?" (It's surprising how consistently I get this.)

To which I'll usually respond: "Three! WOOOO!!!"
This made me laugh so hard.

elbows
01-22-2010, 01:19 PM
"Spectacular, by all reports!"

DoctorJ
01-22-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm fine as frog hair!

blondebear
01-22-2010, 01:25 PM
"Better than some, not as good as others."

tdn
01-22-2010, 01:33 PM
I used to work with a guy that would greet me with "Yo, how's it hangin'?" I'd respond with a rather generous assessment of how low my penis dangles.

Sparky812
01-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Try screaming "WHY!? WHAT ARE THEY SAYING ABOUT ME?"

Garanteed, they won't ask again. Problem solved!:D

Drain Bead
01-22-2010, 01:42 PM
I usually say "solid."

joyfool
01-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Some of the things I say:

Just peachy keeny ducky!
Fantastic! (in the Dr. Who voice, of course)
Outstanding!
Fabulicious!
Hunky dory, morning glory

Yeah, I roll like that.:cool:

I've been known to say "Peachy keen, jelly bean." but now I'm going to have to borrow "Hunky dory, morning glory." too.

Chez Guevara
01-22-2010, 01:43 PM
I guy I know plays back 'How are you?' with 'I'm fine, thanks', but 'How's your wife?' invariably elicits the response 'Better than self-abuse'.

Surly Chick
01-22-2010, 01:48 PM
My latest response is "I'm livin' the dream." which I blantantly ripped off from a CBP guy at O'Hare immigration. It made me laugh out loud after an 18 hour trip in coach...

melodyharmonius
01-22-2010, 02:02 PM
I've been known to say "Peachy keen, jelly bean." but now I'm going to have to borrow "Hunky dory, morning glory." too.

Yeah, it makes people guffaw, grin or at least shake their head smirking. It works well for what I'm aiming for!

melodyharmonius
01-22-2010, 02:08 PM
I think you should come up with random responses that SOUND like they mean something, but don't really mean anything at all. Like:

How are you?
Californication, baby!

How's it going?
Going! Gone! Enron!

Sailboat
01-22-2010, 02:22 PM
"All right so far, but there's still time for everything to go horribly wrong."

LurkMeister
01-22-2010, 02:52 PM

A woman where I used to work would say "I'm blessed!" in a voice that I swear rattled windows a block away.

How I respond depends on who's asking and what kind of mood I'm in. With friends I'm likely to give a semi-serious answer if they haven't seen me in a while.

Valgard
01-22-2010, 03:20 PM
I have responded to a woman saying "Have a good one" with "Honey, I've got a great one."

pudytat72
01-22-2010, 03:27 PM
"I'm here"

Lots of possible implications and ways to say it.

Hampshire
01-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Try screaming "WHY!? WHAT ARE THEY SAYING ABOUT ME?"

Garanteed, they won't ask again. Problem solved!:D

I don't scream it but use the similar "Why, what have you heard?" while eyeing them suspiciously.

kevlaw
01-22-2010, 05:13 PM
"Not too bad, considering...." if I am in an upbeat mood.
"Hanging on in quiet desperation" if I am feeling poetic.

Heart of Dorkness
01-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Depending on my mood:

"Rockin' like Dokken"
"Oh, you know... kicking ass, taking names, as usual. You?"
"Not dead yet, so... there's that."

VunderBob
01-22-2010, 06:15 PM
"Dressed and awake..."

or

"Vertical and ventilating..." If the mark doesn't look like they'd understand, I'll substitute "Upright and breathing..."

Qadgop the Mercotan
01-22-2010, 06:28 PM
"I'm so happy I can hardly stand myself".

SpectBrain
01-22-2010, 07:40 PM
I have a friend that responds to "How are you?" with "Glad to be here!" and my own personal favorite is "I'm more like I am now than I was before."

Kobal2
01-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Existential : "I don't know, I just am."
Philosophical : "I think."
Douchey : "Like you, only better."

Oakminster
01-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Overworked and underpaid.

I'm here. How good could that possibly be?

needscoffee
01-22-2010, 07:54 PM
"Nothing that a tower and an AK-47 wouldn't solve." - from The Matchmaker, with Janeane Garofalo.

figure9
01-22-2010, 08:14 PM
1. Do you really care?
2. Can't complain. Nobody listens to me anyway.

Runs With Scissors
01-22-2010, 09:41 PM

Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Qwakkeddup
01-22-2010, 10:59 PM
As fast as I can get it out,,,"I'm better than I was, but I'm not so well as I was before I got to be as bad as I am now."

Works peachy when I am feeling a little devilish.

Also good if I have been sick for a while.

ShotgunZen
01-23-2010, 01:56 AM
My stock response is:

Better than nothin’

Although occasionally I’ll go with
FANTASTIC! Which always gets the response” Really?” to which I respond “Well, no, not REALLY. But I AM adequate for most tasks”

Also occasionally:
Amazing.... and I've got written testimonials

tumbleddown
01-23-2010, 02:21 AM
A friend has taken to answering the question with "I'm am." It's utter nonsense but it's cute. (Well, if you knew her, you'd think it's cute.)

I tend, in person, to give a cheery Big Gay Al "I'm super, thanks for asking!" But without the lisp.

Dahnlor
01-23-2010, 03:26 AM
I also use "I am" fairly often. The same way God would answer. If particularly perky, I'd say "I am very!"

"Well, I'm here"

"Yup"

Or I might answer like this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JC2gIPnUCgw

Mister Owl
01-23-2010, 08:19 AM
A man I used to listen to on the radio would reply "I am better than most, but not as good as some." My personal reply is often "I am not unwell." Most people have to pause to think that one through.

davey77
01-23-2010, 12:29 PM
If I were doing any better, I'd have to hire you to enjoy it with me.

Crowbar of Irony +3
01-23-2010, 10:48 PM
"You want the short version, or the long version?"

Roland Orzabal
01-24-2010, 12:38 AM
My standard answers are "I am well" and "Superhappygroovalicious". With just a bit of practice, both can be said with precisely the degree of sincerity or sarcasm you require.

BigT
01-24-2010, 08:09 AM

I've never understood this. The word "Hi" is already a greeting. There must be some purpose to the "how are you" part besides just being a greeting. I'm pretty sure the point is to try and start a bit of conversation. And that isn't going to happen if you give the same boring response every time.

So it may be a greeting, but there are quite a few possible responses.

Indistinguishable
01-24-2010, 12:50 PM
I've never understood this. The word "Hi" is already a greeting.
As are "Hello", "Hey", and "Howdy" (short for "How do you do?", let us note). There's nothing preventing the language from having more than one ritual greeting.

Bam Boo Gut
01-24-2010, 01:36 PM
"Not as good as you" Arrggh - I hate that.

Response to "What's up?"
"The cost of living"

Stana Claus
01-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Said in an Eeyore voice: "Just another day in Paradise. Thanks for asking."

VunderBob
01-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Response to "What's up?"
"The cost of living"

or, "My nipples. It's cold out there..."

janis_and_c0
01-24-2010, 07:33 PM
"Not too bad for an amateur"

An Older Gentleman I used to go to church with would say "Pretty good for a young feller"

Clothahump
01-24-2010, 09:28 PM
"If I were any better, I'd be illegal!"

BigT
01-24-2010, 09:32 PM
As are "Hello", "Hey", and "Howdy" (short for "How do you do?", let us note). There's nothing preventing the language from having more than one ritual greeting.

My point was that you don't usually hear "how are you?" by itself. It's always "Hi. How are you?" If both are greetings, then one is superfluous, unless there's extra meaning besides the greeting in one of them. Ergo it's not just a greeting.

ElectricZ
01-25-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm in the UK, and I often try to give a basic response embellished with a bit of information as an opening to conversation if the other person wants. Something like:

Hi! How are you?
I'm good! I just [interesting fact]

But then I visited America, and discovered that what everyone said is true. "How are you?" is more like "How do you do", and replying to "how are you" literally is nearly as weird as to "how do you do"? ("I don't know, how do you do what?" :)) If I tried the above, it'd be more like:

How are you?
I'm good! I--
I'm fine. What can I do for you today?

So in short, I'd think about giving up on snappy and settling on maybe "great" :)

Here are a couple instructional videos to help you out, Shade. :)

Part 1 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=_elUqZtHdzw)
Part 2 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ffUDDYYIX04)

Indistinguishable
01-25-2010, 02:46 PM
My point was that you don't usually hear "how are you?" by itself. It's always "Hi. How are you?" If both are greetings, then one is superfluous, unless there's extra meaning besides the greeting in one of them. Ergo it's not just a greeting.
Sure, it still could be. The social ritual could be to say something like "Hi, how are you?" as a greeting and then for the other person to invariably respond something like "I'm fine, how are you?" in acnkowledgement, with "Fine. So, ..." completing the greeting handshake and entering the conversation proper. Or maybe not; it's a question of whatever the custom is. But there's no linguistic rule saying that if an initial segment of a phrase is a greeting, then the phrase as a whole cannot be merely a greeting itself. The language game works however it works.

joemama24_98
01-25-2010, 03:33 PM
"Busier than a three-legged cat trying to cover shit"

or

"busier than a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest"

Mister Rik
01-25-2010, 10:25 PM
"How are you?/How ya doin'?"

"Yes."

Taomist
01-25-2010, 10:45 PM
I sooooo miss Carlin.
I shall use 'moderately neato' tomorrow in honor of the dead guy. <3

Taomist
01-25-2010, 10:48 PM
"Busier than a three-legged cat trying to cover shit"

I need to use this at work as well, as most folks greeting me do so at such times when I'm trying frantically to grow 3 extra arms, an extra head and a couple of legs in the attempt to do the 6 things at once often required. The looks on their faces <which I won't see, as I'll be too busy> will be priceless, but I will savor the possibilities. When I have time.

Askance
01-26-2010, 07:42 PM
How am I ... what?

Jragon
01-26-2010, 07:44 PM
*Long, psychotic gaze*

Johnny L.A.
01-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Two from dad (sorry if they're repeats):

Better than most!

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!

melodyharmonius
01-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Here's how one of my former co-workers used to greet people:

What's the dill, pickle? Everything kosher?

or

I'm blessed by the best, I must confess!

Course, it's not the same without his intonations and so forth.

JFLuvly
01-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Them: How are you?

Me: Just Fucking Lovely!

Kiber
01-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Still Breathin'.

(I like to start with the basics.)

Rocketeer
01-27-2010, 09:50 AM
My favorite is "Livin' the dream" accompanied by a rueful look.

TruCelt
01-27-2010, 09:55 AM
I used to work with a guy who always responded with a cheery "Just Peachy!" One particularly grumpy day, I said "So, Peachy in April, that would be, small, green and bitter?"

From that day forward he was "Mandarin Orangey."

Wheelz
01-27-2010, 02:10 PM
"I've been worse."

Usually it's true.

Labdad
01-27-2010, 02:58 PM
I used to know a classy old gentleman who always had the same reply to "How are you:" "Very well, thank you. I hope you are."

BigT
01-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Sure, it still could be. The social ritual could be to say something like "Hi, how are you?" as a greeting and then for the other person to invariably respond something like "I'm fine, how are you?" in acnkowledgement, with "Fine. So, ..." completing the greeting handshake and entering the conversation proper. Or maybe not; it's a question of whatever the custom is. But there's no linguistic rule saying that if an initial segment of a phrase is a greeting, then the phrase as a whole cannot be merely a greeting itself. The language game works however it works.

Of course there's no rule. But there is generally a sort of logic to how these things develop. It may eventually become a pure greeting, but I don't think it really has yet, as it still has some meaning beyond other greetings such as Hi or hello.

To me, it seems to be less of a greeting than a transition from a greeting into normal conversation. Greetings such as "hi", "hello", or "hey" are often used by themselves as merely acknowledging the existence of the other person. "Hi, how are you?" seems more often to be used as a way to start a conversation, while giving both sides an easy way to decline.

You know, I guess my confusion is because I wouldn't call what you described above as merely a greeting. The whole thing may be my misunderstanding of a term.

JoWright
10-13-2017, 12:59 PM
My response is"it could go either way"

Annie-Xmas
10-13-2017, 01:21 PM
AI usually say "Above ground and working. Anything else is a bonus."

Tread
10-13-2017, 02:45 PM
any better, and I'd have to be naked

Velocity
10-13-2017, 02:46 PM
"I'm still sucking air."

Satchmo
10-13-2017, 04:29 PM
Braiiinnnnnssss!

Actually, I usually say "Pretty good, for me."

Tim R. Mortiss
10-13-2017, 04:42 PM
I generally answer with "Swell." Some people take it as postmodern sarcasm, others take it as rustic charm.

Although I'm always tempted to assume an exaggerated Mr. Data voice and say "I am functioning within acceptable parameters."

harmonicamoon
10-13-2017, 05:55 PM
Had a co-worker that would always say, "Just trying to eek out a meager existence in today's haggard world".

It is interesting to note that here, where I live, people don't ask that question.

Normally it is, "Where ya going?" whatcha doing?

And zombies never ask.

kopek
10-13-2017, 09:55 PM
Well since someone awoke it ------ in real life (in person) when someone asks I stop, check my pulse, and then answer. Some people like that response and some reply with something along the lines of "shithead".

Grumbacher Red
10-13-2017, 10:57 PM
I'm fine as frog hair!

I came in here to say this!

My version of it is "I am just fine. Fine as frog's hair." :D

Or if you are having an ex-tree good day you could say "I am finer than a frog's hair split down the middle."

I gotta agree the "Bless-ed day" thing is pretty played. Hate it. It is boring and extremely unimaginative. My boss says that "living the dream" thing. I see there are plenty of people trying to make that happen.

If you are feeling good there's "I'm happy as a bump on a pickle" or "happy as a tick on a fat dog".

Or if you are having a busy day, you could say you are "busier than a one-eyed cat watching 3 rat holes" or "this place is busier than a stump full of ants".

Or,

If you want to keep it simple just say, "I am doing quite well, thank you!"

QuickSilver
10-14-2017, 09:52 AM
Never better!

Annie-Xmas
10-14-2017, 12:15 PM
Sometimes I say "Could be better," then pause and add "Could be worse."

Leaffan
10-14-2017, 12:57 PM
I never ask that, but it's so ingrained in culture that when I say "hello" people answer with "good, you?"

😕

QuickSilver
10-14-2017, 01:03 PM
I never ask that, but it's so ingrained in culture that when I say "hello" people answer with "good, you?"

��

I'm a bit of a dick. When greeted by a sales store clerk, "Hello, how are you?", I simply say, "Thank you". He/she doesn't care how I am any more than the last 100 people he/she greeted or the next 200 he/she is going to greet in the same fashion. Just say, "Hello", and let's both get on with me ignoring you as you count the minutes 'til closing while you fold the same goddamn sweaters for the 17th time today.

Brown Eyed Girl
10-14-2017, 01:20 PM
I'm a bit of a dick. When greeted by a sales store clerk, "Hello, how are you?", I simply say, "Thank you". He/she doesn't care how I am any more than the last 100 people he/she greeted or the next 200 he/she is going to greet in the same fashion. Just say, "Hello", and let's both get on with me ignoring you as you count the minutes 'til closing while you fold the same goddamn sweaters for the 17th time today.
I may be the outlier, but I care. For so many reasons... If you're happy, you spend and my job kind of depends on that. If you're not happy about something that I can maybe fix, like you're looking for something you haven't found yet, I get a sense of job satisfaction which impacts my mood. Let's face it, I am surrounded by people all day long. If they are pleasant, my life is pleasant. If they aren't, I'm working hard just to try not to be miserable. Humans are social animals. They feed off each other whether they realize it or not. If you're interacting with someone who is forced to acknowledge your presence and be available to you, what would you prefer they say as opposed to using greetings that are social norms?

QuickSilver
10-14-2017, 01:30 PM
I may be the outlier, but I care. For so many reasons... If you're happy, you spend and my job kind of depends on that. If you're not happy about something that I can maybe fix, like you're looking for something you haven't found yet, I get a sense of job satisfaction which impacts my mood. Let's face it, I am surrounded by people all day long. If they are pleasant, my life is pleasant. If they aren't, I'm working hard just to try not to be miserable. Humans are social animals. They feed off each other whether they realize it or not. If you're interacting with someone who is forced to acknowledge your presence and be available to you, what would you prefer they say as opposed to using greetings that are social norms?

It's a pet peeve of mine, when strangers ask me how I am. So a "Hello, please let me know if I can be of service", is all I'm ever interested in hearing from a sales clerk. I know how stores work. I know you're there to help me find a size or check stock or ring up the sale. If you've done that, you've made me happy and you've done your job well. Asking me how I am when you don't even know my name, is simply not something anyone should expect of you.

Clothahump
10-14-2017, 02:31 PM

Mine is, "If I were any better, I'd be illegal." :D

velomont
10-14-2017, 06:53 PM
Of course there's no rule. But there is generally a sort of logic to how these things develop. It may eventually become a pure greeting, but I don't think it really has yet, as it still has some meaning beyond other greetings such as Hi or hello.

To me, it seems to be less of a greeting than a transition from a greeting into normal conversation. Greetings such as "hi", "hello", or "hey" are often used by themselves as merely acknowledging the existence of the other person. "Hi, how are you?" seems more often to be used as a way to start a conversation, while giving both sides an easy way to decline.

You know, I guess my confusion is because I wouldn't call what you described above as merely a greeting. The whole thing may be my misunderstanding of a term.

I guess we could simply walk around silently, for fear that our use of socially accepted conventions will be scrutinized and analyzed by those more clever than us.

But seriously, "Hey Phil, how are you?" "I'm good, thanks" isn't rocket science. Can someone explain:

Why this is confusing; and
Why the need for sarcastic responses.

kayaker
10-14-2017, 07:21 PM
Lately I've been answering, "About as good as can be expected". When they ask for clarification/details, I tell them to think about it. It really does make sense wether I'm peachy or battling terminal illness.

kopek
10-14-2017, 10:41 PM
I came in here to say this!

My version of it is "I am just fine. Fine as frog's hair." :D

If you lived near me I would have some terrific swag for you from
http://froghairfishing.com/

Best leader material out there right now and since I'm been balding a lot I love their hats. Quite appropriate. ;)

kaylasdad99
10-15-2017, 08:55 AM
For many years, my go-to response was "reasonably well, thank you, and I hope you are the same."

For about the past year, however, I've gone with "As well as can be expected."

Brown Eyed Girl
10-15-2017, 12:17 PM
It's a pet peeve of mine, when strangers ask me how I am. So a "Hello, please let me know if I can be of service", is all I'm ever interested in hearing from a sales clerk. I know how stores work. I know you're there to help me find a size or check stock or ring up the sale. If you've done that, you've made me happy and you've done your job well. Asking me how I am when you don't even know my name, is simply not something anyone should expect of you.

That may work for 90% of retailers, but my job requires quite a bit more than that. Asking how you are and gauging your answer helps me figure out how best to communicate with you so that I can get through the line of questioning that is required of me to fulfill my duties. It's okay to shut me down if you don't need that level of service, but at least do so in a friendly manner and don't assume I don't care. I actually like my job.

LynnM
10-15-2017, 12:22 PM
Anthropologists call this "phatic communication."

Most cultures have phatic communication/expressions. I doubt many people make a big deal of it. Its purpose is to convey goodwill and sociability, not the communication of important information.

"In linguistics, a phatic expression is communication which serves a social function such as small talk and social pleasantries that don't seek or offer any information of value.[1] For example, greetings such as "hello" and "how are you?" are phatic expressions.[2]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phatic_expression

"The term phatic communion was coined by British anthropologist Bronislaw Malinowski in his essay "The Problem of Meaning in Primitive Languages," which appeared in 1923 in The Meaning of Meaning by C.K. Ogden and I.A. Richards."
https://thoughtco.com/phatic-communication-1691619

phatic
Of or relating to communication used to perform a social function rather than to convey information or ideas.
https://thefreedictionary.com/phatic

Leaffan
10-15-2017, 12:35 PM
A bit of a sidetrack: a Chinese colleague of mine told me that the standard greeting in his part of China was "Did you eat?"
I think a better translation would be "Have you eaten?" But really, that's not what the question was about. It was intended as a simple introductory comment, exactly like "How are you?"
People are weird.

Grumbacher Red
10-15-2017, 12:48 PM
If you lived near me I would have some terrific swag for you from
http://froghairfishing.com/

Best leader material out there right now and since I'm been balding a lot I love their hats. Quite appropriate. ;)

:p Clever marketing off of a little known phrase! thanks!:D

Best Topics: parrots pirates keurig size settings herbal smoke cafe bullet sonic boom stop radiator leak auto defrost sweeping vacuum funny logging jokes vodka gallon lithograph vs serigraph pee trough female athletic cup comic book exclamations rex hamilton burned popcorn persona 3 blocks huge jawbreaker place kick holder lars guinard excel sin geometric growth equation liquid bandage burns what is winvnc barney mean signature pick 5 cincinnati hot plate vodka ethanol didn't use to an opossum perler ironing paper kimchi safeway kissing with lipstick ron jeremy ugly comfortmaker furnace review can a hospital force you to stay oil light comes on when stopped off the shelf prescription glasses nero wolfe books in order ashen skin color heart attack best replacement for microsoft money test drive cars for fun photos of liza minnelli why is there a notch in dog tags how much force is needed to destroy the earth crown fell out no tooth left how many inches in 16 feet does lysol kill mold all deodorants give me a rash slap my ass and call me season of the witch lyrics meaning why is my skin so bad all of a sudden how do you pronounce reuters thick t-shirts how much to tip for car wash how to say ramen noodles tying string around skin tag best book on world history bed bugs in japan cost to put down a cat do bulls have udders how to open pump bottles easiest jobs to get hired how to delete google account off computer deer weight to meat ratio how long is a million hours wheel spikes for trucks hyenas names in lion king how much advil should i take can a clogged heater core cause overheating what does the third derivative tell you