PDA

View Full Version : Pantyhose - under or over

aceplace57
02-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Perhaps the Dope can resolve an age old question. :)

Are panties worn under or over pantyhose? Or, omitted altogether?

I've taken my own informal research back in my dating days. :) Seems like every lady had her own preference. I still look back fondly at the time when women still wore dresses and hosiery.

Well - this was supposed to be a poll. A keyboard malfunction and general stupidity (on my part) means we'll have to get by without one.
Perhaps the mods will help?

Waenara
02-09-2010, 03:08 AM
Good lord! I've never even contemplated this. I rarely wear pantyhose, but to me it seemed self-evident that panties go under the pantyhose.

I get grossed out even thinking about the other way.

Audrey Levins
02-09-2010, 03:13 AM
Pantyhose have a built-in panty; I see no need to wear another pair underneath them. Much less over them.

I should add I wear hosiery rarely, and it's usually tights in winter or as part of a costume. (Fishnets at Halloween, etc.)

As a kid my mother made me wear panties underneath my pantyhose, but she herself didn't. No, I don't know why. I just recall the one time I (logically) assumed that the panty built into the hosiery was sufficient, she walked into my room, noticed, and told me in no uncertain terms to put some underwear on underneath them anyway.

Pullet
02-09-2010, 03:18 AM
Don't your pubes get caught in the mesh? Or do you go hairless?

Pullet
Fine Purveyors of Thighs Too Large for Hose since 1989

HazelNutCoffee
02-09-2010, 03:21 AM
Who wears panties OVER pantyhose?

I do wear panties over garters (suspenders) though. The ads always show them under but sometimes you need to take your panties off before you unsnap your garters. Makes it easier.

Shirley Ujest
02-09-2010, 04:34 AM

Pullet

Pubes.....is there a more cringe worthy word for the short hairs?

/Control Top FTW

sandra_nz
02-09-2010, 05:33 AM
Under, although if you have pantyhose that just won't stay up, wearing your knickers over the hose will make a big difference.

I don't like to have hose so close to that area though (depending on the gusset material), so I have on occassion worn two pairs of knickers - one over and one under.

Ferret Herder
02-09-2010, 06:23 AM
Always under, though I haven't worn hose in forever. I also don't recall most pairs that I once wore having any kind of "panty" insert; it probably depends on brand and style.

I simply cannot imagine wearing underpants over top of hose - not to mention that ill-fitting hose rarely had the crotch area fit anywhere near where it should.

DianaG
02-09-2010, 06:27 AM
I have on occassion worn two pairs of knickers - one over and one under.
That's am awful lot of underwear.

Underwear definitely go under the pantyhose. There's not a natural fiber to be found in those things. *shudder*

Underwear definitely go over garters though. If you're wearing the garters for fun and frolic, you want to be able to leave them on, and if you're wearing them for more practical purposes, well... at some point you're gonna have to pee, and those things are a pain in the ass to fasten and unfasten, even when you're not working in a tiny stall.

scareyfaerie
02-09-2010, 07:07 AM
Under, of course. In fact, I'm demonstrating that right now!

Heckity
02-09-2010, 07:19 AM
Definitely over!!! There is the built-in gusset already - and they look a whole lot sexier with the panties over. You never have to haul them up as the panties lock them in place.

When I was inclined to wear them, I often had a one piece (you know the kind with snaps in the crotch) that I put over. I can't imagine panties under - that would be like too confining or something.

PookahMacPhellimey
02-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Under.

I'm actually amazed to hear that there is even another option, thouh of course do whatever works for you.

Over people: does this mean you change your tights (your pantyhose) each day? Because I would tend to wear mine for a few days, but with knickers underneath.

twickster
02-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Definitely over!!! There is the built-in gusset already - and they look a whole lot sexier with the panties over. You never have to haul them up as the panties lock them in place.

When I was inclined to wear them, I often had a one piece (you know the kind with snaps in the crotch) that I put over. I can't imagine panties under - that would be like too confining or something.

If you're wearing them over, why are you wearing them at all?

Another "under" here.

(You couldn't do a poll because polls aren't enabled in MPSIMS, which is where you started this -- but I'm gonna movie it to IMHO.)

DianaG
02-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Definitely over!!! There is the built-in gusset already - and they look a whole lot sexier with the panties over.
The flaw in your theory is that pantyhose do not look sexy. At all. Ever.

EmAnJ
02-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Ewwwww! Under, for sure. Pantyhose and tights aren't natural fibers and if I go without, I get slightly sweaty, and sweat from that region smells nasty. Gross.

I also wonder if you switch them every day. I don't, because I wear panties underneath, and can get a good half a dozen wears out of one pair. I can't imagine not using panties and wearing them more then one day - that's like wearing panties more then one day!

salinqmind
02-09-2010, 10:24 AM
OMG! UNDER!!!:eek:

DianaG
02-09-2010, 10:27 AM
I can't imagine not using panties and wearing them more then one day - that's like wearing panties more then one day!
Yeah, but it's also like wearing socks for more than one day. I'm really not getting this "wear more than once between washings" thing, panties or no.

Ferret Herder
02-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Exactly. :eek:

Really Not All That Bright
02-09-2010, 10:51 AM
I do wear panties over garters (suspenders) though. The ads always show them under but sometimes you need to take your panties off before you unsnap your garters. Makes it easier.
I'll be in my bunk.

nicole1912
02-09-2010, 10:51 AM
It had never, ever occurred to me that you could wear your underwear over pantyhose.

Pantyhose are what we call tights, aren't they? (For the avoidance of doubt, long usually thin full length socks that join at the crotch, worn under skirts...) Why would you wear your underwear over them? It would be like wearing your underwear over your trousers.

My mind is genuinely boggling at the concept.

Hello Again
02-09-2010, 11:02 AM
EW. synthetics + natural sweat = Horrible for vag health!! no I would never wear nothing under my pantyhose, and that little square inch of woven fabric does not cut it for me.

Heckity I am trying to imagine a world in which something as strong as a pair of pantyhose is falling down and something as weak as a pair of panties can hold them up. I literally wrestle my pantyhose on... compare to panties which are hardly industrial strength. Are you so skinny that pantyhose are literally sagging off you?

Ferret Herder
02-09-2010, 11:13 AM
It had never, ever occurred to me that you could wear your underwear over pantyhose.

Pantyhose are what we call tights, aren't they? (For the avoidance of doubt, long usually thin full length socks that join at the crotch, worn under skirts...) Why would you wear your underwear over them? It would be like wearing your underwear over your trousers.

My mind is genuinely boggling at the concept.
In the US we've got pantyhose and tights. They're similar in construction, but pantyhose are made of thin nylon, usually get runs easily, and are semi-sheer to sheer. Tights are made of a thicker material, usually opaque, and less likely to run. But yeah, long "socks" that go all the way up the legs, join at the crotch, and then keep going up the body to stop around the waist, held up by a built-in elastic band.

Heckity
02-09-2010, 11:17 AM
This is very illuminating for me - surely I'm not the only 'over'?

First off, pantyhose are not sexy in and of themselves. Panties are however. If you wear 'em over, at least there is some semblance of sexy. If you're wearing a one piece, french-cut teddy - it can look pretty enticing. You wouldn't wear pantyhose over that would you?

I'm not so skinny that my pantyhose fall off - but I hate the feeling of them sliding down or even the waist band rolling a little.

I do not ever wear them two days in a row. As DianaG notes, it would be like wearing socks two days in a row - icky.

I'll keep watching this thread with interest -

Freudian Slit
02-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Under for sure. This is making me so glad I don't wear pantyhose, though. Blech. I hate that stuff.

DianaG
02-09-2010, 11:23 AM
If you're wearing a one piece, french-cut teddy - it can look pretty enticing. You wouldn't wear pantyhose over that would you?
I can't imagine a scenario in which I would wear pantyhose with that, at all.

Pantyhose are a purely practical item. You wear them to the office and to funerals. They don't belong in any context that includes sex, that's what thigh highs are for.

Freudian Slit
02-09-2010, 11:32 AM
If you're wearing a one piece, french-cut teddy - it can look pretty enticing. You wouldn't wear pantyhose over that would you?

I probably wouldn't wear anything at all because itchy legs/= sexy to me. Plus, I think I have awesome legs that aren't necessarily enhanced by hosiery.

EmAnJ
02-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Yeah, but it's also like wearing socks for more than one day. I'm really not getting this "wear more than once between washings" thing, panties or no.

You only wear things like jeans and your bra once before washing?

Freudian Slit
02-09-2010, 11:49 AM

You wear a bra more than once? I heard about people doing that in college, but I thought it was just a "not doing laundry enough" thing. I only wear it again if I'm going to go to the gym and I don't want to waste a good one.

I'll wear jeans or a skirt way more than once. But not things on my upper body like a bra or shirt.

Anaamika
02-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't wear pantyhose. I will occasionally wear tights, in the winter, and I always wear panties underneath. The pantyhose just doesn't have the same comfy feel.

However, garters & stockings always require the panties over.

DianaG
02-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Jeans I typically wear two or three times between washings. Bra maybe twice, depending on what kind of a day I had. But socks? SOCKS? My feet are not exceptionally sweaty, but anything that goes on them gets washed after one wearing, especially if it's made of non-breathable synthetic fibers.

EmAnJ
02-09-2010, 11:59 AM
You wear a bra more than once? I heard about people doing that in college, but I thought it was just a "not doing laundry enough" thing. I only wear it again if I'm going to go to the gym and I don't want to waste a good one.

I'll wear jeans or a skirt way more than once. But not things on my upper body like a bra or shirt.

Of course I do (not workout bras of course). I shower every day and my upper body doesn't get sweaty or anything, so I don't consider the bra to be dirty. I'd go through bra like mad if I washed them after every use - they lose shape from washings so I try to limit it. I'll wear a bra three or four times before I wash it. I also wear shirts more then once.

Maybe if you sweat a lot or don't shower every morning?

EmAnJ
02-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Jeans I typically wear two or three times between washings. Bra maybe twice, depending on what kind of a day I had. But socks? SOCKS? My feet are not exceptionally sweaty, but anything that goes on them gets washed after one wearing, especially if it's made of non-breathable synthetic fibers.

I don't wear socks twice - I agree with you on that one for sure!

Freudian Slit
02-09-2010, 12:05 PM
I shower pretty obsessively, and don't sweat that much. I guess I just would feel kind of gross wearing something (other than pants/skirt) more than once.

EmAnJ
02-09-2010, 12:09 PM
I shower pretty obsessively, and don't sweat that much. I guess I just would feel kind of gross wearing something (other than pants/skirt) more than once.

Just wondering - do you wear sports bras mostly? I ask because you mentioned wearing an already worn bra to the gym. Does that mean you wear a regular bra to the gym, or do you wear sports bras rather then regular bras on a daily basis?

Freudian Slit
02-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Just wondering - do you wear sports bras mostly? I ask because you mentioned wearing an already worn bra to the gym. Does that mean you wear a regular bra to the gym, or do you wear sports bras rather then regular bras on a daily basis?

No, I wear regular bras only. But if I wore a bra last night and am going to the gym in the morning, I might just put on the same bra to go to the gym, but I wouldn't put it on if I were actually getting dressed to go somewhere.

(I.e., I wear regular bras or tank tops with built in bras to the gym.)

Snickers
02-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Wow. I'm surprised at all the panty wearers, but the synthetic fibers argument makes sense. Me? I'm starkers under pantyhose - that's what the gusset is for. Yes, I wash them after each wearing.

I think it's because I took dance classes all throughout grade school and high school. When I was tiny, I quickly figured out that panties + tights under a leotard was a) uncomfortable and b) looked ridiculous. So I omitted them altogether, years before a lot of the girls in my dance classes did. I can't be for certain as I didn't pay much attention, but it seemed that most of the girls in dance classes did the same, sooner or later.

If my mom noticed, she certainly never cared.

MitzeKatze
02-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Add me to the list who never even thought of wearing panties over pantyhose.
Back when I occasionally wore them at all, it was always panties under or skip the panties altogether (it would depend on the pantyhose themselves...cotton crotch meant no panties, all nylon then panties under).

However I routinely wore pantyhose for just a few years of my life, moving on to thigh highs then no stockings at all. I did pull out an old pair of pantyhose the other day to wear under dress pants (for the warmth!) and it occurred to me how very silly they look. I am so happy that bare legs and/or tights became socially acceptable.

Lynn Bodoni
02-09-2010, 01:04 PM
You only wear things like jeans and your bra once before washing? Only once. For that matter, I don't wear clothing for more than six hours before washing. I wear my panties for a full day, and put on clean ones after the shower. If I wear more than panties, I only wear it for just about six hours, then I feel the need to change, even if everyone assures me that I smell fine. I guess it's just one of my idiosyncracies.

When I wore pantyhose, I wore a light control garment over them, to keep them in place. These control garments are not as stiff and controlling as a girdle, but have more control than a panty. I usually wore the ones with legs, they came down about an inch or two on my thighs. I wore the kind of pantyhose that had a cotton gusset in the crotch. And yes, I washed them after every wearing.

zweisamkeit
02-09-2010, 01:06 PM
No, I wear regular bras only. But if I wore a bra last night and am going to the gym in the morning, I might just put on the same bra to go to the gym, but I wouldn't put it on if I were actually getting dressed to go somewhere.

(I.e., I wear regular bras or tank tops with built in bras to the gym.)

... Wow. That would be so amazing to do. I'm jealous. :(

Freudian Slit
02-09-2010, 01:10 PM
... Wow. That would be so amazing to do. I'm jealous. :(

How come you can't?

02-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Very Large Boobs, I'm guessing.

DianaG
02-09-2010, 01:15 PM
That'd be my guess as well. Mine are hardly huge, but I wear a sports bra and a tank with a built in bra when I work out.

EmAnJ
02-09-2010, 01:25 PM
I would never wear a regular bra to the gym either. Not near enough support. I'm a B cup too.

zweisamkeit
02-09-2010, 01:30 PM
How come you can't?

Bigger boobs don't take kindly to bouncing. :) I have to wear an Enell sports bra, which basically looks like a bullet proof vest. It's the only one I've had that actually locks n loads the boobs.

ivn1188
02-09-2010, 02:33 PM

Exactly. :eek:

First off, pantyhose are not sexy in and of themselves.

That might be true for some or even most people, but there are plenty of others who find them appealing.

Pullet
02-09-2010, 02:49 PM
So, all these folks have posted in defense of no panties/panties over hose. But no one has answered my question about pubic hair. Doesn't it get snagged in the mesh of hose? Do you go hairless? Cornrows? Someone explain!!

Glory
02-09-2010, 03:31 PM
I love the Dope sometimes, I never considered anyone would ever wear panties OVER hose. The mind boggles.

I have worn hose without panties, and there was no snagging of hair at all, I have also never thought about that. When I consider the fabric of hose (legs/crotch) I can't think of anything snagworthy.

And changing one's clothes every 6 hours - trying to figure out just how much laundry I would generate changing clothes 4 times a day:

6-12 - get up shower, get dressed
12-6 - arbitary clothes change at work - would coworkers notice?
6-12 - get home from work, change clothes
12-6 - change into jammies

PS - I wear most clothes only once (underwear, socks, definitely) but get multiple wearings out of bras, jeans, sweaters and some dress pants (hate the cost of drycleaning).

Heckity
02-09-2010, 03:45 PM

Well, sometimes I like to feel sexy just for me. A nice one-piece teddy over pantyhose for work - no one knows I feel all slinky underneath my professional suit. ;)

02-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Wouldn't you wear thigh-highs with that, though?

EmAnJ
02-09-2010, 03:55 PM
And changing one's clothes every 6 hours - trying to figure out just how much laundry I would generate changing clothes 4 times a day:

6-12 - get up shower, get dressed
12-6 - arbitary clothes change at work - would coworkers notice?
6-12 - get home from work, change clothes
12-6 - change into jammies

PS - I wear most clothes only once (underwear, socks, definitely) but get multiple wearings out of bras, jeans, sweaters and some dress pants (hate the cost of drycleaning).

I feel the same way! I wear the same pj nightshirt a few nights in a row too. I couldn't imagine what my water, detergent and electricity bill would look like with that much laundry!

DiosaBellissima
02-09-2010, 03:59 PM
So, all these folks have posted in defense of no panties/panties over hose. But no one has answered my question about pubic hair. Doesn't it get snagged in the mesh of hose? Do you go hairless? Cornrows? Someone explain!!

Why would your pubes get stuck in hose but not actual panties? Regardless, whether hairless or with hair, I've never noticed this problem at all. Haven't tried cornrows yet though.

Underwear with pantyhose is stupid- they are PANTYhose- panties and hose. Unless you have a leaky vagina, you ought to be cool. No, I don't wear them multiple times between washings, but I wouldn't do that with underwear either (I do it with bras, though).

DianaG
02-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Well, sometimes I like to feel sexy just for me. A nice one-piece teddy over pantyhose for work - no one knows I feel all slinky underneath my professional suit. ;)
Whatever makes you happy. :) It's just that I'm picturing lingerie over shiny pantyhose and it seems so, so... Jamie Lee Curtis in the 80s. But pantyhose are the anti-sexy to me. I literally can't fit the words "sexy" and "pantyhose" into the same sentence in my mind without a "NOT" in there.

DiosaBellissima
02-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Whatever makes you happy. :) It's just that I'm picturing lingerie over shiny pantyhose and it seems so, so... Jamie Lee Curtis in the 80s. But pantyhose are the anti-sexy to me. I literally can't fit the words "sexy" and "pantyhose" into the same sentence in my mind without a "NOT" in there.

Rude. I never feel sexier than when I have myself stuffed into my Just My Size tan control tops. Breathing is the antithesis of sexy.
;)

Girl From Mars
02-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Wow - I think I discovered several new things in this thread. As far as I am concerned:

Pantyhose/tights - worn over underwear, but going commando works better a lot of the time.

Stockings are sexy, tights and pantyhose never.

If your pubes get caught, you,re doing it wrong.

And for extra points, stockings/pantyhose shoud not be worn with open toes shoes. Especiallly nude. You're not fooling anyone.

Panties is a word that makes me feel squicky.

MeanOldLady
02-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Bigger boobs don't take kindly to bouncing. :) I have to wear an Enell sports bra, which basically looks like a bullet proof vest. It's the only one I've had that actually locks n loads the boobs.Plug for Champion sports bras! Advtange 1: They make them in my size. You can't just walk into Sports Authority and say, "Hey, I need a sports bra... oh, and make that in size bazillion," and expect to find one. I ordered it online, but Champion does make them. Other brands do not. Advantage 2: I could do a backflip in the damn thing, and the ladies wouldn't move. This is key.

Panties under, but I don't wear hose because they're ugly.

DiosaBellissima
02-09-2010, 04:33 PM
And for extra points, stockings/pantyhose shoud not be worn with open toes shoes. Especiallly nude. You're not fooling anyone.

For what it's worth, it is very on trend (designer wise) to wear brightly colored, opaque tights with peep toe pumps (not fully open toe though).

MitzeKatze
02-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Panties is a word that makes me feel squicky.

I'm surprised by how many people feel the same way. I am just the opposite..."panties" are what girls or women wear and "underpants", "underwear", "briefs" or any other word for panties makes me think of what men wear and it feels just wrong to use it for women's clothing.

Mama Zappa
02-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Who wears panties OVER pantyhose?

Agreed! How else do people go to the potty when wearing hose with garters???

Girl From Mars
02-09-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm surprised by how many people feel the same way. I am just the opposite..."panties" are what girls or women wear and "underpants", "underwear", "briefs" or any other word for panties makes me think of what men wear and it feels just wrong to use it for women's clothing.
These are probably just as utilitarian, but my words of choice are undies or knickers.

Girl From Mars
02-09-2010, 04:49 PM
For what it's worth, it is very on trend (designer wise) to wear brightly colored, opaque tights with peep toe pumps (not fully open toe though).
It's not a blanket ban! TO be honest, I did think of that trend when I wrote that, but the difference I think is that they are being worn for that effect - the contrast etc. What I was getting at was the 'I want to wear those shoes but it's too cold/I haven't shaved/fake tanned' mindset.

Green Bean
02-09-2010, 05:32 PM
I don't wear pantyhose ever. Uncomfortable, unsexy, fragile, and annoying.

But I do wear tights. A lot.

And guess what?

I wear my panties over 'em!

Yes, girls. I am an "over."

I don't like tights that are too tight. So they tend to slide down a lot. Maybe a dozen years ago, I was complaining about my sagging tights, and a friend asked me why I didn't just put my underpants over them. Crazy, I said. Then I tried it. And it worked wonderfully!

I admit that it looks totally ridiculous. Especially if I'm out of black underpants. 'Cause as silly as black underpants look over black tights, hot pink underpants look exponentially sillier.

Of course I wash them between wearings. And I'm completely squicked out by the people who are saying that they wear their pantyhose multiple times without washing them. They cover your feet! They're the same as socks! Ewww!

CT_Damsel
02-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Neither. I do not wear the dreaded heat trapping pantyhose. I wear a garter belt and stockings. Always hoping for my Seven Year Itch moment.

MitzeKatze
02-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Yes, girls. I am an "over."

I don't like tights that are too tight. So they tend to slide down a lot. Maybe a dozen years ago, I was complaining about my sagging tights, and a friend asked me why I didn't just put my underpants over them. Crazy, I said. Then I tried it. And it worked wonderfully!

I admit that it looks totally ridiculous. Especially if I'm out of black underpants. 'Cause as silly as black underpants look over black tights, hot pink underpants look exponentially sillier.

This makes sense on the surface, but I have to ask...Just how tight are your panties?

It seems to me that in order to hold up sagging/slipping tights or pantyhose, they'd need to be spandex "foundation garment" type of panties at the very least and not the simple, cotton bikinis or lacy, silky numbers which I think would probably be pulled down by the tights. Maybe I am not thinking right but it just doesn't seem like a pair of panties would be enough to hold them if they weren't staying put on their own.

Pullet
02-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Why would your pubes get stuck in hose but not actual panties? Regardless, whether hairless or with hair, I've never noticed this problem at all. Haven't tried cornrows yet though.

Weird. I have had that problem with panties, usually synthetic fiber ones. I also sometimes get my head hair snagged in the upholstery of car seats. Doesn't seem to matter how trim either location is, either. So, maybe I just have hair that is the right diameter or something.
I also have thighs big enough to stretch every pair of hose I have ever tried to the absolute limit, leaving a wide, hair-snaggling grid of doom.

EmAnJ
02-09-2010, 08:50 PM
i also have thighs big enough to stretch every pair of hose i have ever tried to the absolute limit, leaving a wide, hair-snaggling grid of doom.

Ahahahahahahaha!

Hazle Weatherfield
02-09-2010, 09:30 PM
I didn't know people still wore pantyhose! It's been at least 20 years since I wore them; they give me terrible athlete's foot and also I just assumed that they had gone out of fashion. I can't wear them.

Magicicada
02-09-2010, 09:34 PM
It took me years to get that the panty in pantyhose meant that you didn't, in theory, need both. Then I actually tried it, and...well, let's just say I'm a brunette. Very, very brunette. Thick, lustrous brunette. Without a Brazilian. And my pantyhose, back in the days when I wore them, were not of the fake suntan dark type. The effect was very much like a hairy wrestler in a light-colored leotard.

And yeah, the panties over the garter belt thing--I made that discovery at a very tense moment!:p

Green Bean
02-09-2010, 09:44 PM
This makes sense on the surface, but I have to ask...Just how tight are your panties?

It seems to me that in order to hold up sagging/slipping tights or pantyhose, they'd need to be spandex "foundation garment" type of panties at the very least and not the simple, cotton bikinis or lacy, silky numbers which I think would probably be pulled down by the tights. Maybe I am not thinking right but it just doesn't seem like a pair of panties would be enough to hold them if they weren't staying put on their own.My panties aren't tight at all. I don't like tight anything. They're just normal cotton high-cut underpants that probably need to be replaced because the elastic is getting weak.

But they hold the tights up.

I don't know why it works, but it works.

Glory
02-09-2010, 10:56 PM
I didn't know people still wore pantyhose! It's been at least 20 years since I wore them; they give me terrible athlete's foot and also I just assumed that they had gone out of fashion. I can't wear them.

I wore hose for the first time in 10 years last April to my step father's funeral in San Antonio, TX. It was a formal occasion in the South, I didn't even think twice, hose was appropriate for that situation.

DianaG
02-09-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm just not getting past the fact that I wear panties under my pantyhose/tights to have some natural fibers between me and the nastiness that pantyhose/tights are generally made of. I'm all about cotton and silk for my girly bits. I can't fathom wearing them over the pantyhose/tights, because what would be the point? (Although I've never had a problem with mine falling down, provided they fit correctly.)

Green Bean
02-09-2010, 11:24 PM
(Although I've never had a problem with mine falling down, provided they fit correctly.)Count your blessings. I've never found a pair that fits correctly.

The synthetic fibers against the girly bits don't bother me. You never wear microfiber undies? (Okay, maybe you don't, but I do sometimes.)

Anyway, for those of you who's tights fall down, I'd recommend at least trying the undies over thing. I guarantee you that you'll feel like a damn fool, but if it works for you, you will be so happy.

Hazle Weatherfield
02-10-2010, 12:10 AM
I wore hose for the first time in 10 years last April to my step father's funeral in San Antonio, TX. It was a formal occasion in the South, I didn't even think twice, hose was appropriate for that situation.

Oh, I'd definitely wear them if protocol said so, but, still; as you say, it had been ten years. I just don't think they're worn that much anymore.

MitzeKatze
02-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Anyway, for those of you who's tights fall down, I'd recommend at least trying the undies over thing. I guarantee you that you'll feel like a damn fool, but if it works for you, you will be so happy.

You've convinced me anyway. :) If there comes a day when I must again wear pantyhose (although thigh highs are still readily available for situations that call for stockings, so I do not foresee needing pantyhose again) and if I feel them slipping, I am going to try panties over them. It sounds ridiculous, but also kind of fun, like a secret instead of "no one knows I am wearing my slinky underthings" it will be "no one knows I am wearing my underthings in the wrong order". ;) I just hope I don't have a car accident or something the day I decided to give it a try. :p

Eyebrows 0f Doom
02-10-2010, 12:28 AM
:confused: What the...? Over!?? Unless you're Superman, underwear goes under the rest of your clothing.

And I'm confused as to how pantyhose can fall down? On the *rare* occasions when I've had to wear them, they're like thin elasticy things that stretch with a tighter band at the top. How do they get loose? Are people talking about two kinds of things? These (http://lindadang.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/pantyhose.jpg)are what I am thinking of.

Hazle Weatherfield
02-10-2010, 01:16 AM
Also, to me, pantyhose replace the panty; hence the name. I cannot imagine adding bulk to this, overriding the purpose of the pantyhose completely! :confused:

amarinth
02-10-2010, 02:30 AM
Anyway, for those of you who's tights fall down, I'd recommend at least trying the undies over thing. I guarantee you that you'll feel like a damn fool, but if it works for you, you will be so happy.If they're falling down, it probably means that I got a pair that was too small and the crotch is very far below where it should be. (I used to believe the sizing charts on the back. Those are a horrible lie.) Underwear wouldn't even fit on top. Plus, that would just be weird. It also never occured to me that someone would wear underwear over pantyhose.

xash
02-10-2010, 03:55 AM
Poll added over panties. Vote once, then wash.

-xash
Administrator

PookahMacPhellimey
02-10-2010, 06:26 AM
Oh my! I feel like Pigpen. I do A LOT less laundry than most of you, seemingly. I do shower every day and I really can't say I feel dirty, but, yes, I would get several days' wear out of both bras and tights. And I'm not even disclosing about pyjamas... :)

Those of you whose tights fall down should try Falke tights. Never fall down and never rip. I fell off my bike last month and had a great big bleeding hole in my knee but the tights were not even broken. Those were the woollen kind but still.

Heckity
02-10-2010, 08:46 AM
And guess what?

I wear my panties over 'em! Yes, girls. I am an "over." I don't like tights that are too tight. So they tend to slide down a lot. Maybe a dozen years ago, I was complaining about my sagging tights, and a friend asked me why I didn't just put my underpants over them. Crazy, I said. Then I tried it. And it worked wonderfully!

Maybe it was me, who told you, Greenbean. I have shared my thinking with many friends who have become overs. Thank goodness you joined the discussion - I was starting to feel, unusual in my underlovely habits. (I learned that word 'underlovelies' here on the board - sorry I don't recall who first used it. Much nicer than 'panties' or 'underpants').

Personally I don't feel entirely dressed without the panties over. With only the panty hose on - regardless of the "panty" in the name, a wee cotton gusset is just not enough for me.

Should my skirt flip up coquettishly - and it has been known to do that - I'd rather give a glimpse of panty than a landing strip.

sweetie pea your 'hairy wrestler' cracked me up.

MsRobyn
02-10-2010, 08:55 AM
I don't wear pantyhose that often, but when I do, I generally wear my undies over them. It's just more comfortable because I don't get bunched undies under nylon that I can't deal with unless I go to the bathroom. But that's just me.

BobLibDem
02-10-2010, 10:06 AM
My wife wears them under the hose, but I can see the virtues of over. It would increase the VPL factor, which can be quite a turn-on.

Cubsfan
02-11-2010, 06:50 AM
That might be true for some or even most people, but there are plenty of others who find them appealing.

Tru dat!

Hello Again
02-11-2010, 12:23 PM
My wife wears them under the hose, but I can see the virtues of over. It would increase the VPL factor, which can be quite a turn-on.

I can see if that floats your boat (though I admit I found your post squicky, even though, as turnons go that is quite an innocent one), but in the workplace, VPL is unprofessional. And *most* women, who wear pantyhose* at all, do so because it is required by their work dress code.

*pantyhose. Not garters, not thigh highs, not fishnets, plain ol' horrible sweaty stupid looking expensive easily destroyed paintyhose.

norinew
02-11-2010, 02:10 PM
OK, it's been ages since I've worn pantyhose as a fashion. . .they really do seem to have fallen out of fashion! (Of course, in the winter, if you're wearing a skirt or dress, bare legs may be fashionably acceptable, but are still damned cold!) Anyway, panties under.

For those of you who say pantyhose are the anti-sexy, you'll have to tell my hubby that. When I have worn them in recent years, it's been in the bedroom, with a pair of scissors close at hand! ;)

corkboard
02-11-2010, 02:29 PM
The only good thing about pantyhose, and my wife would agree, is tearing them off the lady in a passionate burst of lust.

Shot From Guns
02-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Put me down as another "the very idea of wearing underwear OVER pantyhose squicks me out." The only time I ever remember wearing panties (god, I hate that word) over hose or tights was this Halloween, and (a) that's because they were part of my costume, and (b) I had another pair on under the hose.

BrassyPhrase
02-11-2010, 09:13 PM
When I wore pantyhose (young girl, didn't know there was anything else) I wore them over panties or no panties.

As an adult, I do thigh highs. I have skinny legs for a woman my weight and that's the only way to wear them.

tygre
02-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Former sales rep for Hanes Hosiery/DKNY/Donna Karan Hosiery here --

Our party line was always "underwear under the product". I think some of the confusion around panties and hosiery might stem from a product called Underalls, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underalls which were marketed as a garment to replaces panties + hosiery.

I recommended cotton panties rather than nylon/silk under hosiery for breathability. Nylon can help if the hosiery is very snug or a shaper product, though, but if at all possible, go up a size -- fit length/height first, then weight. Borderline weight, go up to the larger size.

Nylon = sheerness, lycra/spandex = durability. I don't recommend 100% nylon = it's sheer but it will bag and sag very quickly. I could ramble about hosiery for a while but will spare y'all.

02-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Put me down as another "the very idea of wearing underwear OVER pantyhose squicks me out." The only time I ever remember wearing panties (god, I hate that word) over hose or tights was this Halloween, and (a) that's because they were part of my costume, and (b) I had another pair on under the hose.
*ponders what sort of costume requires two layers of underwear*

Green Bean
02-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Our party line was always "underwear under the product". I think some of the confusion around panties and hosiery might stem from a product called Underalls, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underalls which were marketed as a garment to replaces panties + hosiery.Oh man, check out this commercial (http://youtube.com/watch?v=4jVzjC7ZFv8&feature=related).

Pantyhose while camping? Are they insane?

Hello Again
02-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Oh man, check out this commercial (http://youtube.com/watch?v=4jVzjC7ZFv8&feature=related).

C'mon, who hasn't worn pantyhose while hang gliding in a full-body jumpsuit!?

Girl From Mars
02-12-2010, 05:43 AM
C'mon, who hasn't worn pantyhose while hang gliding in a full-body jumpsuit!?
Or at least worried about spoiling the view for anyone else 4000 feet in the air. (Spoiling the view? Seriously?)

Shot From Guns
02-19-2010, 03:44 PM
*ponders what sort of costume requires two layers of underwear*

Annie Brackett. (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showpost.php?p=11735960&postcount=15)

Dr. Woo
02-19-2010, 04:43 PM

Pantyhose are a purely practical item. You wear them to the office and to funerals. They don't belong in any context that includes sex, that's what thigh highs are for.

Precisely. Pantyhose are strictly utilitarian (and I hate them). Also, although it's been some time since I've been to a funeral and my memory may be faulty, I don't think I've ever owned a pair of pantyhose that my panties could control to the point of keeping them up where they're supposed to be. It would be a David vs. Goliath thing.

I wear no panties with panty hose - panties + PH are just too much damn underwear for me.

aruvqan
02-19-2010, 05:26 PM
I wear stockings and garters now, but I have worn pantyhose in the past ... and I wore the underwear over them in case I flashed you saw lacy panties instead of cotton crotched pantyhose. it was an aesthetic thang.

Bites When Provoked
02-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Dammit, I just voted 'over' and I meant 'under'.

I voted based on the title of the post, rather than the wording of the poll. :smack:

-1 to Over
+1 to Under, please.

kapri
02-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Interesting conversation. I don't know why the underwear and laundering habits of other women are so interesting to me, but they are.

Here's what I do: First of all, I never wear nylon pantyhose, just cotton/spandex opaque black tights with a cotton crotch. Nothing under them, but--and I don't think anyone else has mentioned this--Spanx (okay, fake Spanx) over them! Makes for a nice, smooth line.

As for bra washing--I can't imagine wearing a bra only once and then washing it. My bras would wear out in months if I did that. I wear them several times before washing them--I don't really count how many times I wear them, but I do laundry on weekends and throw in whatever bras I think of; I have lots and lots of them. I shower and wear deodorant every day, so my boobs and my back aren't dirty--how can a bra get that dirty after a few hours? Here's an interesting article about this very thing, by the way: http://the-lingerie-post.com/2009/05/british-women-wash-bras-6-times-a-year/

NinjaChick
02-20-2010, 12:33 AM
Oh man, check out this commercial (http://youtube.com/watch?v=4jVzjC7ZFv8&feature=related).

The 80's were a weird time for society.

I've worn pantyhose all of once in my life (and certainly not while camping; it was my Bat Mitzvah). I wore underpants under them - it didn't occur to me to do anything else. Since I no longer am subject to parental and/or religious decree about what to wear, I have no use for them.

These days the closest I get are my athletic tights for winter outdoor workouts, which also get underpants beneath them (and something over, too, either shorts or thin pants depending on the weather).

JRG1976
07-28-2010, 05:04 PM

There a MANY men around that would beg to differ!

Guinastasia
07-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Under, definitely under!!! I've never even HEARD of wearing them over! It sounds like an infection waiting to happen! (Considering there's no breathable cotton crotch!)

zweisamkeit
07-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Under, definitely under!!! I've never even HEARD of wearing them over! It sounds like an infection waiting to happen! (Considering there's no breathable cotton crotch!)

All the pantyhose I've ever seen have a cotton crotch. I still wear my undies under them, but the point of the cotton crotch is so you can go commando underneath them if you want to.

DianaG
07-29-2010, 10:52 PM
But the cotton crotch generally has a layer of nylon on the underside of it, so... still not breathable. Pretty much for show, really.

DianaG
07-29-2010, 10:53 PM

There a MANY men around that would beg to differ!
I really don't get this. "I like MY women firmly encased in sweaty man-made materials". I mean, at least go for PVC.

AHunter3
07-30-2010, 12:23 AM
Under, of course. In fact, I'm demonstrating that right now!

You forgot to provide the link.

I hardly ever do that. But c'mon, 'demonstrating that right now'?

CanvasShoes
07-30-2010, 02:37 AM

Pullet

Ummmm pantyhose have built in panties, so no. Count me in as a none. One of the best ways to prevent panty-lines.

Shot From Guns
08-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Count me in as a none. One of the best ways to prevent panty-lines.

Thongs do the same thing, more or less.

08-02-2010, 12:40 PM
No. They really don't.

Shot From Guns
08-02-2010, 02:41 PM
No. They really don't.

Depends on the skirt/dress/pants/shorts in question, and the build of the person wearing them. If you're wearing a dark thong under a light piece of clothing, yeah, it's gonna be a problem, or if your thong is so tight that it cuts into your skin on the side, or if the clothing is tight enough above your ass to show the fabric there. But if your only problem is the lines of fabric along your actual butt, then yeah, thongs work just fine.

Acantha
08-02-2010, 02:53 PM
No. They really don't.

Depends on the skirt/dress/pants/shorts in question, and the build of the person wearing them. If you're wearing a dark thong under a light piece of clothing, yeah, it's gonna be a problem, or if your thong is so tight that it cuts into your skin on the side, or if the clothing is tight enough above your ass to show the fabric there. But if your only problem is the lines of fabric along your actual butt, then yeah, thongs work just fine.

To me, a thong is hell on earth. I have a long lower torso and they are uncomfortable as all hell. I can't understand how anyone wears those things.

Shot From Guns
08-02-2010, 03:36 PM
To me, a thong is hell on earth. I have a long lower torso and they are uncomfortable as all hell. I can't understand how anyone wears those things.

What do you mean by "lower torso"? Like, distance between your waist and the bottom of your crotch? 'Cause I'm six feet tall and built proportionately, and I don't have any problems that way with thongs. Granted, there's still the issue of having a piece of fabric wedged up your ass, but sometimes it's a necessary trade-off.

Acantha
08-02-2010, 03:47 PM

What do you mean by "lower torso"? Like, distance between your waist and the bottom of your crotch? 'Cause I'm six feet tall and built proportionately, and I don't have any problems that way with thongs. Granted, there's still the issue of having a piece of fabric wedged up your ass, but sometimes it's a necessary trade-off.

Yeah, I'm very long there, can't find pants that don't cut me in half either. I have never tried a thong that didn't feel like it was too short. I have a SIL who is over 6 feet and her lower torso and legs are both shorter than mine. I am much shorter than 6 feet.

Some people are built long on top and short in the leg/lower torso, I'm the reverse, all lower body and short on top. I loathe shopping for clothes because it seems the people who make clothes don't think people like me exist.

Shot From Guns
08-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I'm very long there, can't find pants that don't cut me in half either. I have never tried a thong that didn't feel like it was too short.

I definitely do run into that problem with pants and shorts--it's really hard for me to find a pair with enough room in the crotch that I don't end up with fabric riding all the hell up (ohai cameltoe, you are neither classy nor attractive... nor comfortable). I've just never seen it with underwear. Are you wearing thongs that would fall above your hips? If so, have you tried hiphuggers? Those might be much more workable for you.

Best Topics: retarded dads buh bye meaning towels in italian 2007 alternative songs scariest scp stories crushed submarine sink plug stuck shiver nick cave walgreens ink cartridges glue sniffing acid corrosive sopressata pronunciation best treatment for athlete foot over the counter how to name a registered dog comet it tastes like listerine best used land rover to buy do barbers get paid hourly comcast sent me a new modem what type of glue to use on foam are poke berries poisonous to dogs how to remove medical adhesive from skin lyrics low spark of high heeled