PDA

View Full Version : When am I no longer "young"?

Mr. Excellent
07-16-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm 26 years old now, and I've noticed that each year seems to pass more swiftly than the one before it. :eek: I turn 27 in a month, and my 30th birthday is beginning to seem not-terribly-far off.

I'm pretty sure than thirty still counts as young - I don't think anyone would deny that I'm still a fairly young man today, and I counted many thirty-year-olds in law school as friends and peers. Still do. So, I assume you can still count as "young" into at least your early thirties.

But, eventually you do become (yech) middle-aged. What's the cutoff? Is it 35? 40? 45? When do I stop being one of the hip new potential leaders of tomorrow, and part of the boring establishment?

Khaki Campbell
07-16-2010, 02:24 PM
You're no longer young when you feel that young people seem to all dress in the same way.

sherrylynn
07-16-2010, 02:26 PM
You're no longer young when the professional who's advice you seek - doctor, lawyer, whatever - is the same age as your children.

And 'Get off my lawn!'

Kyla
07-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Old = five years older than however old I am at the moment. So right now, old is 37.

Sorry, everyone who's 37+.

Colibri
07-16-2010, 02:30 PM
My personal definition is that "old" is ten years older than my current age.

I'm 58 and I'm still young.

Omega Glory
07-16-2010, 02:34 PM
31-34 puts you on the young side of middle age, and 35 is solidly middle aged.

pulykamell
07-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I just turned 35. Coupled with the transition out of the 18-34 demographic, I'm pretty comfortable with self-reporting as "middle aged."

Mr. Excellent
07-16-2010, 02:37 PM

Gah!

Skammer
07-16-2010, 02:39 PM
I plan on living until 92, so I won't be middle aged until 46. Of course that's getting close now so I might have to revise my plans.

Fuzzy Dunlop
07-16-2010, 02:49 PM
I am also 26 years old and I just made an appointment to get checked out and measured for Lasik. The woman I made the appointment with explained what they'd be doing, my eyes would be dilated, measured, and they'd do some tests to rule out potential complications that can happen with older patients.

Wait what was that last one?:confused:

They're not common, but we test in advance to rule out some things...

No no no, did you call me an older patient? I'm twenty-six years old. Who the hell are your youngster patients?:confused::confused::confused:

Unintentionally Blank
07-16-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm 40. Inside I feel 24...except when I sit in one position a little too long, then my left knee hurts a little when I stand up...wait. I'll bet from the OUTSIDE, I look like an old man getting up!

Crap.

I lift weights, and I'm a monster on a bike, and I exercise regularly, but my knee still stiffens up, and I still hobble about a bit until I can shake it out. That and that one muscle in my back....and my newly grown beard covers up the two laugh lines pretty well.

But I don't feel old. But I am to the kids that get on the train at the College stop. :(

Meatros
07-16-2010, 03:02 PM
When I was 18 a friend of mine shared a TownHouse with a few other people. One of those people would hang out with us a lot and he always struck me as being too old to hang out with us. Not old, exactly, but more on the 'middle-aged adult' side.

He was 28-30.

Now I'm almost 32 and I guess I'm a middle aged adult...

I suppose there's something to be hand in the idea that I don't think I would feel comfortable hanging around a bunch of people who were 18, and I was the only outlier.

Meatros
07-16-2010, 03:04 PM
No no no, did you call me an older patient? I'm twenty-six years old. Who the hell are your youngster patients?:confused::confused::confused:

I think I had Lasix when I was somewhere around 18 or 19.

tdn
07-16-2010, 03:06 PM
I'll bet from the OUTSIDE, I look like an old man getting up!

Last year my brother came to visit me for a few days. He had only been in my apartment for a few minutes when I turned away and then looked back to find... my father. It was weird.

So... my brother is old, I am not.

Proof: My brother is a grandfather. I'm not a great uncle, I'm a freakin' awesome uncle.

Unintentionally Blank
07-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Last year my brother came to visit me for a few days. He had only been in my apartment for a few minutes when I turned away and then looked back to find... my father. It was weird.

So... my brother is old, I am not.

Proof: My brother is a grandfather. I'm not a great uncle, I'm a freakin' awesome uncle.

Yeah, I looked down one say and thought "When did I get my Dad's hands?", I look in the mirror now and I've got one Grandfather's face* and the other Grandfather's hairline.

What I desperately hope is that I don't inherit my father's _health_....dead at 62 means I'm 2/3rds of the way there....but if it's my Mom's Father that dictates, I'm less than half way (he died at 95)

*= I need to stop hanging out in graveyards

Max the Immortal
07-16-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm 26 years old now, and I've noticed that each year seems to pass more swiftly than the one before it. :eek: I turn 27 in a month, and my 30th birthday is beginning to seem not-terribly-far off.

A friend of mine once said, "The back end of your twenties goes by really quickly. Just wait 'till you hit 30; you'll never shit the same again."

PookahMacPhellimey
07-16-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm 32 and don't feel middle aged. However, I have some fabulous younger friends who keep trying to drag me into nightclubs. Occasionally they succeed and I'm there thinking "Argh, the noise, the crowds,the inconvenience, I want my bed and good book". So then I suddenly feel absolutely ancient.

Still, for me the cut-off is about 40. But then I might have said 30 ten years ago...

Oredigger77
07-16-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm 27. Sorry dude, hate to break it to you but 30 is when you're no longer young. 35 is without a doubt middle age and when I'm planning my midlife crisis.

Zsofia
07-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Mmm. I don't know. I hit 30 this year, and it seems to be situational. I'm old to my friends, who are all my boyfriend's friends and he's four years younger than me. I'm crazy young to my coworkers, who are all ancient as Father Time and are right next to Jesus in their high school yearbooks. It's starting to be damned offensive that they keep carding me for beer, though.

Oakminster
07-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Harrumph. No, you silly puppies, 35 does not qualify as middle aged. You can't claim middle age until 40. Sadly, after 45, you can't deny being middle aged, either.

Rhythmdvl
07-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Did they take away all of your toys?
Did you mother send you Facebook links about your friends who’ve stopped being boys?
Do the children call you famous? What about the old men? Do they call you insane?
Do you have any idea which game to play? Which words to say?

ETA: Dammit! I should have told him “no, you’re not old,” and I should have let him go on smiling!

zweisamkeit
07-16-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm 28 and have been thinking about this a bit. But it strikes me as odd that people think early-mid 30s counts as "middle aged".

To me, it's like:

20s - young/early adult
30s - solidly adult
40s - older side of adult, upper 40s starts to be middle aged
50s - definitely middle aged
60s - depending on person, middle aged to oldISH
70s - old
80s - OLD
90s - JFC, old!

Edited to clarify: and I've felt this way since at least high school, so it's not just my attempt to not feel like I'm approaching middle age. ;)

cjepson
07-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Here's the way I like to look at it. If you died today, would people say, "Gee, he died young"? If so, then you're young. :p

purplehorseshoe
07-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Harrumph. No, you silly puppies, 35 does not qualify as middle aged. You can't claim middle age until 40. Sadly, after 45, you can't deny being middle aged, either.

Having turned 30 a month ago, I think I like Oak's answer best. Eventually, though, I have a feeling Colibri's answer will please me more. ;)

Zsofia
07-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Here's the way I like to look at it. If you died today, would people say, "Gee, he died young"? If so, then you're young. :p
Dude, these days that means you're young at 65! (I used to not get why my parents would be so sad at the death of somebody in their 40's...)

Manda JO
07-16-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm 33. It's really all about context. Drag me to a concert, I am going to feel old. At work, I'm in the middle slot--lots of people older than me, lots of people younger than me. I've been there almost a decade, which makes me an institution (high schools have short memories), so in that sense I am old. With my family, I am one of the younger kids (5 of 6), so I am young.

I do feel very adult, which is not the same as old, but I am surprised at how many people my age do not feel like adults at all. I find that to be strange. But then, I always wanted to grow up--I enjoy the ability to make actual decisions way more than I ever enjoyed the lack of responsibility of childhood.

I have lost a tremendous amount of weight this year and started working out a couple hours a day, and that has made me feel a lot younger.

panache45
07-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Dude, these days that means you're young at 65!

I will be 65 in 76 days, and I didn't start to feel middle-aged until 50. I have no idea when "elderly" kicks in, but I know I'm not there yet.

Cat Whisperer
07-16-2010, 05:02 PM
I suppose technically middle-aged would be the middle of the average human life - say 40-45. When are you no longer "young" is a more interesting question. There are landmarks for all the things of adulthood, but those landmarks happen at different times for different people (if at all). It could be when you stop feeling peppy and eager to take on the world, or it could be when you start feeling constant aches and pains and chronic health problems.

I'm 43, and looking back to pinpoint the exact time when I stopped being young is difficult. I'm going to say it isn't one point, but a series of events - your first apartment, your first serious relationship, your first live-in lover, your first abusive relationship, your first serious purchase (car, house, furniture, etc.), your first dead grandparent, your last dead grandparent, your first baby, your subsequent babies, your first marriage, your first divorce, your first dead parent, your last dead parent, and on and on it goes.

Zsofia
07-16-2010, 05:14 PM
I will be 65 in 76 days, and I didn't start to feel middle-aged until 50. I have no idea when "elderly" kicks in, but I know I'm not there yet.
When I was a kid, 70. Now, 80. Call me back in a few years and we'll compare notes. (My dad is 80 next May and that scares the living crap out of me. I saw him when I was walking into a restaurant one day a few years ago and dismissed him as an old man until I realized that was my dad. Eek!)

Omega Glory
07-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Gah!

At least you're marching toward middle age-dom now, when that stage isn't nearly as dreary as I gather it was a couple of generations ago, due to health advances, and things like that.

I remember talking to a friend about a lady when we were in our teens, and my friend was explaining to me that this woman was older, but "not ancient, like 40 or something," and me knowing just what she meant. I'm still in my twenties, but can't believe we felt that way.

Shark Sandwich
07-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Hang around people that are older than you, and you'll always be eternally young. I'm 42, and in my golf league, the next guy closest to my age is 46, so they always refer to me as "the youngster." It even works when you die at 78, and all of your friends are 80+, then the most common heard phrase at your funeral will be, "Man, I can't believe he died so young!"

RealityChuck
07-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Simple enough: you know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise your body can't fill.

handsomeharry
07-16-2010, 06:57 PM
When some dufe younger than you says that you are "X years young."

Best wishes,
hh

Spice Weasel
07-16-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm 28 and have been thinking about this a bit. But it strikes me as odd that people think early-mid 30s counts as "middle aged".

To me, it's like:

20s - young/early adult
30s - solidly adult
70s - old
80s - OLD
90s - JFC, old!

Edited to clarify: and I've felt this way since at least high school, so it's not just my attempt to not feel like I'm approaching middle age. ;)

This has always been my conceptualization as well. I wouldn't even dream of calling someone in their 30s middle-aged.

I'm 27 (and I almost said 28, and had to count. The significance of my exact age is certainly beginning to dwindle.) I've always considered that pretty young in the eyes of, well, older people, so I've kept my ''feeling old'' thoughts mostly to myself. The years are dragging, but the fact that I'm still in school might have something to do with it.

I do feel old a lot. People have been calling me ''ma'am'' for a couple of years now. My interest in the latest trends has diminished significantly over the years. When I was a teen, I envied college students, because I thought they dictated pop culture. When I got to college, I realized it was the teens who dictated pop culture. They still do. When I watch television I realize how much we worship at the cult of youth - and it's at least significantly in part because youth has the most disposable income.

I think a major ''WTF'' moment came to me last night while watching So You Think You Can Dance. Kat Deely was standing in front of an audience full of little girls. 14, 15, 16 year old girls. The entire audience. It was freaky.

I relish getting older. I feel like I've felt 50 years old forever. The older I actually get, the closer I feel I'm getting to the age that fits.

Marley23
07-16-2010, 07:14 PM
For years now I've been saying that after age 25, you need to stop worrying about being old. Give it a rest for, say, a few decades. But that's just me.

But, eventually you do become (yech) middle-aged. What's the cutoff? Is it 35? 40? 45? When do I stop being one of the hip new potential leaders of tomorrow, and part of the boring establishment?
Probably when you start playing golf. Especially if you don't like it and keep playing.

That's not the typical definition of middle age, but it's pretty accurate from a factual standpoint. I remember my freshman English teacher was very put off when he asked our class what middle age was, and I said "around your mid 30s," which would have been his age at the time. He said he hoped that wasn't true. I don't think I pressed the point but since average life expectancy is late 70s or 80, I think I was right. Usually middle age means around 50, give or take a few years, but since few people live to 100 it's a rather hopeful euphemism.

Tamerlane
07-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Usually middle age means around 50, give or take a few years, but since few people live to 100 it's a rather hopeful euphemism.

Usually? I don't know, that's never been my definition. Actuarial tables being what they are I can't regard anyone past 40 as anything other than middle-aged :). I just checked the wiki on this topic for the first time and noticed the U.S. Census defines it ( fairly sensibly from an actuarial POV ) as starting at 35, while a couple of different dictionaries start at 40 and 45, respectively.

As to the OP, I'd say you can get away with calling yourself young at 30, but probably shouldn't be by the time you hit 35. I suppose I kinda agree with the crowd that regards 30-40 as kind of the never-never land between "young" and "middle-aged" - solidly, but loosely defined adults.

Twoflower
07-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Did they take away all of your toys?
Did you mother send you Facebook links about your friends who’ve stopped being boys?
Do the children call you famous? What about the old men? Do they call you insane?
Do you have any idea which game to play? Which words to say?

You're old if you can remember the Jefferson Airplane.

Ludovic
07-16-2010, 08:18 PM
You will look a thing like Jesus.

Mr. Accident
07-16-2010, 08:36 PM
You really are as old as you feel. At least in my experience.

The majority of my day is spent around young girls, playing with them, talking with them, and watching tv with them. When I'm around them, I don't feel like into my teens yet, much less 29.

When I'm forced to be around a bunch of stuffed shirt boring adults, then I start to feel like I'm 29, or even older.

When I'm out clubbing with my friends in their late teens/early 20s, I feel like of a similar age with them. It's pretty much in how you perceive life. (Except when age related health problems decide to kick you in the 'nads.)

Vlad/Igor
07-16-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm 40. Inside I feel 24...except when I sit in one position a little too long, then my left knee hurts a little when I stand up...wait. I'll bet from the OUTSIDE, I look like an old man getting up!

Crap.

I lift weights, and I'm a monster on a bike, and I exercise regularly, but my knee still stiffens up, and I still hobble about a bit until I can shake it out. That and that one muscle in my back....and my newly grown beard covers up the two laugh lines pretty well.

But I don't feel old. But I am to the kids that get on the train at the College stop. :(Dude, I'm right there with you, including the left knee. It bothers me I can't sit cross-legged anymore without a lot of discomfort when getting up. I have free weights, but haven't touched them in a while. However, I can rip off 40 push ups in 3 minutes when I couldn't do 10 in a row at age 25. I still think young, even tough I'm starting to get crows feet (CRAP! that's one sure sign of advanced decrepitude). I'm not acting like my Dad at this age (47), but then I'm not my Dad and I'm living in a much different time. There's a disconnect between my mental and chronological age that I struggle with.

Critical Mass
07-16-2010, 09:05 PM
I can remember an incident that defined my realization youth had passed me by.

I was 31 at the time.

I was driving to work and a Mustang or some muscle car sped in front of me, cut me off and proceeded to cut off a couple of other cars in front of me.

And I thought - god damned kid weaving in and out of traffic. He's going to kill someone.

And then I thought that's something my dad would say.

It hit me all at once - I'm not young anymore.

I also got my first grey hair when I was 31.

Sam Stone
07-16-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm 47. As the late great Warren Zevon wrote, I'm too old to die young, and too young to die now.

When I was growing up, my grandfather used to complain about how old he was. This was starting about the time he was fifty. My mother started doing it as well. As a result I developed this habit where I always felt much older than I was. I can remember being 21 years old, and thinking I was an old man compared to the younger kids in college with me, who were children as much as three years younger than I was! I started thinking about being 'old' by the time I was 30, and was always very conscious of each year that passed by, putting me that much closer to old age.

But you know what? It doesn't bother me any more. I'm happy to be where I am. I'm in reasonably good health, and mentally I feel like I'm still 20. I play Rock Band and other video games, watch the latest comedies and enjoy them, I play tennis and swim and ride my bike with the family. I have a couple of good friends at work who I lunch with regularly, and I simply forget that I'm 16 years older than one of them and 8 years older than the other. We treat each other like peers, and that's fine.

I think the internet is changing our perception of age. I wouldn't have had any idea of the ages of any of you if you hadn't posted them. I had no idea that Panache45 was 65 years old. You simply can't tell by the way people talk online most of the time.

When my grandmother was about 75, she confided in me that whenever she looked in a mirror she felt a little shock, because in her own mind she was still a young girl, and seeing the old woman looking back at her always felt strange. If she were still around today, she could have an account here, and no one would know her age within a range of probably 40 years.

It used to be that being old meant you were too weak or sore or disabled to take part in the normal joys of life. Younger people treated you with deference and respect, but they wouldn't really engage with you. So you slowly disconnect from society and become crotchety and ever-more feeble until you die.

Now, I think you're 'old' when senescence causes you to lose the ability to interact with people in a normal way online. For some people, that never happens. Charles Simmons seemed sharp as a tack on here until he died, and he was in his late 70's or early 80's as I recall.

Time to stop thinking about being young or old. Your body's just the container for you. You're 'old' when you decide to act old or your brain stops working well enough for you to keep up with everyone else. Everyone else may think you're old, because all they see is the shell. You know better. And if you don't like the way people see you in the real world, hang out here more. On the internet, you're as old as you want to be.

Last thing - just because the average lifespan is 82 or 84 doesn't mean you're 'middle aged' when you hit 41 or 42 The average life expectancy is measured from birth, and includes accidents, infant death, etc. If you're 45 today, there's a very good chance you'll be around until you're 90 or older. Average life expectancy for someone 45 today is around 85, I believe.

EvilTOJ
07-16-2010, 11:01 PM
When try as you might, you just don't get carded that much any more.

elfkin477
07-16-2010, 11:07 PM
I also got my first grey hair when I was 31. If gray hair makes one old, I'll always be young. Redheads (really red, auburn doesn't count because it's too like brown) don't gray, we eventually go blondish then white.

I, apparently, am still young according to coworkers in their 50s+. When I protest that I'm older than I look and say I'm 33, they pat me on the head and say that's very young.

Kevbo
07-16-2010, 11:16 PM
You are no longer young when you begin to figure out that people older than you are often smarter as well.

Tamerlane
07-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Last thing - just because the average lifespan is 82 or 84

78ish in the U.S. ;).

If you're 45 today, there's a very good chance you'll be around until you're 90 or older. Average life expectancy for someone 45 today is around 85, I believe.

A very good chance? I hope you're right for my sake ( I'm ~42.5 ), but I'll admit to skepticism on that claim, Sam. If you ever dig up anything concrete on that I'd honestly be interested ( and thrilled if my skepticism in unwarranted ).

That said, I sure don't feel old or even middle-aged mentally ( sadly, as with some others I do feel it physically ). Me and my 47 year old co-worker were just discussing a month or so ago just how non-old we feel. I still read comic books, watch cartoons, play computer games and very occasionally joke around with said co-worker like a barely mature twelve-year old. I have a hard time thinking of myself as a sober, working adult, even though I've been holding the same general job for nearly 20 years now.

The thing is, I know that I am, more or less. But it is curious just how much a sense of playfullness adults can carry from childhood into adulthood. My pre-teenage self would have been shocked at that realization.

ETA: By the way at 42, I am in fact in the bottom 10% age cohort in my job classification ( in the youngest 5 or 6 out of 60-odd ). I'm in a gentrifying field and I've worked with older co-workers virtually my entire life. I can't even conceive of working with twenty-somethings - I don't think I ever have. It was either teens at McDonalds when I was a teen or thirties to sixties at every other job I've ever held for more than a day.

Cyberhwk
07-16-2010, 11:41 PM
The other day I was no longer among the lowest "non-teen" cohort in an online demographic survey. The one that makes me feel ill is seeing how young the kids are at my Alma Mater when I go back to see a football game.

TurboNuke
07-17-2010, 12:15 AM
I'm 42 now. I had some aches and pains in my 30's but looking back it wasn't bad at all. Turning 40 seems different: I now have a ton of aches and pains and I felt so old and crappy I took up exercising to improve how I feel. Luckily it worked. I feel pretty good but still lots of silly aches and pains and I'm starting to watching what I eat.

Also, at 39 I would've happily banged a 20 year old girl. I would've torn it up and felt that she wasn't getting shortchnged by banging an older guy. Now at 42, my dick isn't as hard as it was a few years ago. And erections seem to be harder to come by (heh). And knocking out 2 or 3 in an hour like I used to doesn't seem possible anymore.

The men in my family don't go gray or lose their hair so I'm good there.

Cat Whisperer
07-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Simple enough: you know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise your body can't fill.
My mind is making promises it can't remember.

Sam Stone
07-17-2010, 02:17 AM
A very good chance? I hope you're right for my sake ( I'm ~42.5 ), but I'll admit to skepticism on that claim, Sam. If you ever dig up anything concrete on that I'd honestly be interested ( and thrilled if my skepticism in unwarranted ).

For suitably small values of 'very good'. :)

I don't mean it's likely - it's not, because the average life expectancy of people in the U.S. who are age 45 is now about 84.5 for men, and 85.5 for women, I believe. So I was just extrapolating from that, assuming that the mortality curve isn't all that steep between 85 and 90. I mean, it's a lot steeper than it was between 70 and 80, but what I meant is that a reasonably significant number of those people will make it to 90.

Here's the chart I used for the data. But note it's based on Canadian statistics, which are a little better than the U.S's: Life Expectancy from Age 45 (http://statcan.gc.ca/kits-trousses/issues-enjeux/c-g/edu01c_0005a-eng.htm). I looked for data on life expectancy from 85, but everything I could find was way out of date. The values ranged from 2.1 to 5.1 years. So if half make to 85, and half of those make it to 90, then 25% of us will live to be 90. I consider that a good chance. Compared to our parent's generation, when only a tiny fraction would make it to 90.

Nobody
07-17-2010, 02:42 AM
Being in my 30's is weird. I'm sure I'm not thought of as being that young to people in their 20's or younger, but people in their 40's or older still sometimes refer to me as a young man or kid.

And add me to the list of people who thinks that being in your 30's isn't middle age. To me 40 is middle aged.

Hemulen
07-17-2010, 04:07 AM
My big 3-0's looming on the horizon, and I'm starting to worry... not about getting older, on the contrary it almost looks like I'm getting younger!:dubious: I always looked older than my years, but recently people have started asking for ID when I buy beer (which is something that's literally never happened before - not even when I was 16) and giving me student discounts just like that...
I definitely wouldn't put middle age any younger than 40, though I think there are significant individual variations both mentally and physically.

msmith537
07-17-2010, 07:09 AM

To me, it's like:

20s - young/early adult
30s - solidly adult
70s - old
80s - OLD
90s - JFC, old!

I would agree. I'm 37 and have a hard time considering 30s or 40s 'middle aged' these days. I think of middle aged as a greying balding paunchy guy who sits around on his couch all weekend. It has a negative connotation of someone past their prime.

30s and 40s are when most people are in their adult primes. They are typically well established in their careers and families.

That said, its not really 'young' any more. People in their 20s start feeling 'old' because they furthur from their college days of youthful lack of real responsibility. They may start to see physical signs that they won't look 21 forever.

Eliahna
07-17-2010, 07:14 AM
Want to know what makes me feel old? I'm nearly 34 - nearly! - and one guy I dated in high school just became a grandfather :/

cochrane
07-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Way back when I was a young pup, during the Vietnam era, they used to say "never trust anybody over 30." So, you're not old just yet. Also, if this were Logan's Run, well...but, hey, at least you don't have to worry about that.

6ImpossibleThingsB4Breakfast
07-17-2010, 02:05 PM
I'd have thought you're no longer young when you can't get into anywhere for half price and you no longer think about what lollies you're gonna buy.

The Shroud
07-17-2010, 11:23 PM
I'll finally feel old when I don't have any more older relatives to scoff when I say I'm old.

Soul
07-18-2010, 01:04 AM
You really are as old as you feel. At least in my experience.
(snip)

Crap, I'm ancient at 24!

Leaper
07-18-2010, 03:50 AM
According to an old thread of mine, (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?t=557786) the CDC/medical community thinks of "young" as anything below 65. So live it up, young folk!

mil0
07-18-2010, 07:15 AM
I'm 24, but I feel like 40. I miss my youth. I've already acquired a mind-boggling amount of illnesses including but not limited to: guyon's canal syndrome in my left hand, tendonitis in my right, near crippling IBS, constant heartburn, eye floaters, vitiligo, severe allergies, stretch marks while being normal weight, and last but not least a never-ending supply of hangnails.

Today when I was at Walmart I was checking out their canes & walker section. Unfortunately, the ones available didn't have a designated slot for my phone nor any flashy racing stripes so I decided against purchasing for the time being.

Enderw24
07-18-2010, 09:40 AM
I play bridge. It used to be that whenever I sat down at a table the old ladies would all coo and say "it's so nice to have young players playing this game."
they eventually stopped doing that.
That's when I became old.

Acantha
07-19-2010, 07:31 AM
You're no longer young when you feel that young people seem to all dress in the same way.

And you notice that their music sucks ass and their haircuts are stupid looking.

I don't even care if I'm old, my kids listen to some god-awful music. I hope I live long enough to see them grow some taste. :p

Perciful
07-19-2010, 09:43 AM
When you stop being a child in your heart. I know old people that act younger then some young people. It's a state of mind. I still have a sense of awe as if I was still a child although my body says otherwise. I see things over and over for the first time. That is awe.

Spice Weasel
07-19-2010, 10:33 AM
When you stop being a child in your heart. I know old people that act younger then some young people. It's a state of mind. I still have a sense of awe as if I was still a child although my body says otherwise. I see things over and over for the first time. That is awe.
I'm definitely silly and childlike in a lot of ways. For example, when asked how I felt the other day, I replied, ''Snail.'' As in, ''I feel snail.'' My husband tried to convince me that animal names do not count as feelings, but I knew damn well how I felt and meant to express it properly.

On the other hand, I was listening to a radio advertisement in the car for a major theme park. And the excited announcer was screaming, ''Adrenaline pumping, mind-blowing, intense fun fun fun!''

As a teenager, mind you, I used to go to the World's Best Amusement Park, Cedar Point, between 2-3 times every summer, and have an absolute blast.

But I haven't been in 7 years. As I listened to the advertisement, I felt it sucking the energy out of me. I complained, ''That doesn't sound like fun. That sounds exhausting.''

At which point Sr. Olives turned to me and said, ''You're old.'' And I knew he was right.

handsomeharry
08-09-2010, 10:06 PM
When you're 53 years and 7 months and 11 days old. It just happened to me. Without question. And, it has nothing to do with my lawn.

Last summer, I was listening to Devo's 'Gates of Steel', and my prime Rush on my mp3 player.

Two hours ago, I downloaded Nat King Cole and Bing Crosby. I'm still perusing Celine Dion's catalog.

Sigh.

Peremensoe
08-09-2010, 10:12 PM
When am I no longer "young"?

When this question occurs to you.

icexa
08-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Irrelevant. Have aspergers syndrome and shave your head regularly, beginning in your mid-twenties. I haven't aged visibly in a decade.

Rigamarole
08-07-2011, 09:17 PM
You're no longer young when you're resurrected from the dead over a year after being posted..

YaraMateo
08-08-2011, 12:18 AM
I am going to say 30 is the beginning of old. In that, if I saw two women at the mall. One was in her 20s and looked her age and one 30 and looked her age. One of them stole something. I had to id them, I'd say the 30 year old was a lady/woman. Where as I'd called the 20 something a girl. That's just the way I see them. You guys KNOW I'm not PC and I don't hold punches. 35 and over, though, is middle age. The average person lives to be around 75 in first world countries. So, anything over 38 can't me considered young/not middle aged. It's just denial. It 45-50 was considered the beginning of middle aged, you'd have to live to be 90-100. Most people won't. I'm going to stick with 30 as the beginning of old. Not in that, you're 30 you're going to die. I also notice when people reach 30s and up, people start using their age in ways. "She'/He looks good for (insert age)". "She/he is in good shape for (insert age)". You don't hear someone say "She's in great shape for 25!" :eek:

even sven
08-08-2011, 03:41 AM
I used to freak out about this in my twenties, but since reaching 30 I've become a bit zen about it.

What do I have to be afraid of? Adult responsibility? Well, I've been capable of getting knocked up since I was 12. But, so far kids and a mortgage and a soul destroying job have yet to come. It's starting to look like they actually aren't going to just magically come to destroy my fun loving life unless I invite them in. And if I do choose them, I can hardly bitch about it, right? Chooseing these things is a function of choosing these things- and you can choose them at 20 as easily as 40- and is not a function of "getting old."

Looking older? Yeah, I'm not happy about the wrinkles that are cropping up. But then, I wasn't exactly a supermodel in my 20s. It's not like I lost my chance to be a centerfold or movie star. I still look nice. I just don't look like a nice looking 18 year old. Big whoop. I still get hit on. I still have sex regularly. In fact, the sex seems to be getting better and better. Anyway, I figure that cosmetic enhancements will improve at a rate faster than I'm aging. The future looks bright!

My ability to have fun? Fuck that! Instead of sitting around dreaming of the stuff I want to do, I'm actually living it. Way better. Travel the world? Doing it! Dream job? Doing it! Going to a top school? Getting my MA at one! Learning languages? Four so far! Even if your dream is "having a lot of cats," your ability to live the life of your dreams increases and increases.

Body? Did my legs fall off? I recall spending my 20s eating Cheetos and playing video games. Despite having a greater chance of being healthy, it's not like I did much with it. Now, with my still-attached legs, I run 3K every single day and my body is hard and toned in a way it wasn't in my "skinnyfat" 20s. Yeah, I will gain weight if I eat nothing but Cheetos. So I don't do that. No biggie.

Partying? Well, someone has to be the oldest girl at the club. I run with a slightly younger crowd, and get out more than I did when I was younger. I'm yet to be kicked out of a hotspot for being over 30. And now, I can afford their drinks. Anyway, no reason to stop going out if you are still enjoying it. And if you really have trouble, move to DC where the nightspots are packed with older career girls. 30 has been my funnest year.

In short, old is something you choose. My hero is a mid fifties lady with a crop of gorgeous silver hair and a face wrinkled from smiles. She wears silver clothes that match her hair, runs marathons, is on the bleeding edge of technology and is currently travelling the word as a teacher. She is sexy, energetic, classy and living life to the fullest. I want to be just like her.

AK84
08-08-2011, 05:41 AM
I was buying groceries the other day and some punk errrr kid came up to me and asked me "uncle are you a Lawyer" (i was dressed for court). Wait a minute "Uncle!!!!!!". The little tykes mother was in tears from laughter.

OTH I remember someone saying that one sign is when you perfer a nice book to a nice girl; and I have been buying a LOT of books.

monstro
08-08-2011, 06:51 AM
It's situational.

A person in their late 20s who has a spouse, owns a house, has kids, and all that jazz is "older" than a person in their mid-30s who doesn't have those things. Not necessarily more mature, but just "older". I work with a co-worker who I just discovered is six years older than me. I just assumed she was at least 12 or 15 years older not only because she looks it, but because her office is full of pictures of her kids and that's all she talks about. I cannot relate, so she seems much older than she actually is.

When my mother was my age, she was juggling a house, a husband, two cars, and a house. I feel damn infantile compared to her right now, not having hit any of those milestones.

I just turned 34 this year. Which still feels youngish to me. But I know it will feel different next year when I can no longer be in denial about being "middle age". But I won't feel old. Just "older". I imagine people will still treat me as a youngish person because I simply look and act young. One day this will change and I will probably feel sad, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

Unintentionally Blank
08-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Nothing ages a person faster than losing a parent. The phrase "You are the oldest male in your family" just cut me to the quick.

I think the important part is: Don't grow up too fast. I felt older at 28 than I did at 33, mostly due to how I viewed my life. I feel a little older at 41 than I did at 33, but that's mostly because I don't work out as much as I used to. I may feel older, but I don't miss the constant aches and pains I had with the strenuous exercise. Yeah, I'm softer, but I currently can't afford to get the AC fixed, and I'll be damned if I do any major exercise with the house being 85 degrees.

msmith537
08-08-2011, 08:00 AM
I am going to say 30 is the beginning of old. In that, if I saw two women at the mall. One was in her 20s and looked her age and one 30 and looked her age. One of them stole something. I had to id them, I'd say the 30 year old was a lady/woman. Where as I'd called the 20 something a girl. That's just the way I see them. You guys KNOW I'm not PC and I don't hold punches. 35 and over, though, is middle age. The average person lives to be around 75 in first world countries. So, anything over 38 can't me considered young/not middle aged. It's just denial. It 45-50 was considered the beginning of middle aged, you'd have to live to be 90-100. Most people won't. I'm going to stick with 30 as the beginning of old. Not in that, you're 30 you're going to die. I also notice when people reach 30s and up, people start using their age in ways. "She'/He looks good for (insert age)". "She/he is in good shape for (insert age)". You don't hear someone say "She's in great shape for 25!" :eek:

That's what people who are like 22 think. Over 30 seems "old" if you come from somewhere/when high school or college is viewed as your "glory days". Where one is expected to find a job, get married and settle down right afterwards.

These days, people seem to go through an extended "post adolescent" phase between finishing school and their 30s, especially in more urban areas. 30s seems "old" for the same reason 21 used to seem old. Because you are getting to an age where you are expected to not act like you are still in college anymore.

I thought 30+ was old when I was in my early 20s as well. But I think that had more to do with still having a college fraternity party mentality.

Acid Lamp
08-08-2011, 08:34 AM
It's situational.

A person in their late 20s who has a spouse, owns a house, has kids, and all that jazz is "older" than a person in their mid-30s who doesn't have those things. Not necessarily more mature, but just "older". I work with a co-worker who I just discovered is six years older than me. I just assumed she was at least 12 or 15 years older not only because she looks it, but because her office is full of pictures of her kids and that's all she talks about. I cannot relate, so she seems much older than she actually is.

I agree entirely.

At 31, married, but without children or owning a home, we both feel like "young adults". In fact, now that we are both finally employed in positions that pay us decently by our standards we are just starting to feel "grown up". Middle age comes later now generally, but I can't call anyone below 40 middle aged. That seems to be the point where you are starting to wind down, and I'm just getting going after being in a boring holding pattern through my twenties.

Happy Lendervedder
08-08-2011, 09:18 AM
A few weeks ago I realized that on my next birthday, I'll be squarely in my late 30s. There's no way one can call 37 "mid-30s" anymore. That made me feel a little old for the first time ever. I still don't think 30s are middle aged. I've always considered that to be mid-40s to about mid-50s. As others have said, that's not technically the middle of the average lifespan, but it still seems fitting.

The Unexpected Okapi Debacle
08-08-2011, 10:29 AM
In short, old is something you choose.

Absolutely. I think it really depends on the individual and their lifestyle - one person's 40 is another person's 60. Personally, I've decided to skip middle age and go straight to being "old" a few seconds before I die, when it will finally be time to wind down.

msmith537
08-08-2011, 12:40 PM
A few weeks ago I realized that on my next birthday, I'll be squarely in my late 30s. There's no way one can call 37 "mid-30s" anymore.

Really? Because in a few months I'll be twenty nineteen.

johnpost
08-08-2011, 12:54 PM
when you can't understand the lyrics or if you still can understand the lyrics and don't like them.

Mr. Excellent
08-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Heh. I started this thread a little over a year ago, not long before my 27th birthday. Now my 28th is coming up - and in a lot of ways, I feel better now than I have in a long time. Over the past year:

My job has finally started to become tolerable (still not great, but tolerable).

I've kayaked the Hudson, and nearly died, and laughed at the fact I didn't.

I've learned I'm actually a pretty decent photographer.

Moved to a great new apartment in DC, right next door to old and valued friends.

This week, I'm learning to ride motorcycles - in fact, the last lesson is on my actual birthday. And in about a month, I'm going back to law school - just to audit classes, but it'll be good to get back into learning things. :)

Life is better this year than it was last year, and next year looks to be better still. Getting older rocks! Bring on middle age! (Okay, middle age can wait for a bit. But you get my point.)

sandra_nz
08-08-2011, 01:17 PM
I haven't been young for a long long time, thank goodness! I was stoopid when I was young! ;)

msmith537
08-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Life is better this year than it was last year, and next year looks to be better still. Getting older rocks! Bring on middle age! (Okay, middle age can wait for a bit. But you get my point.)

Not always. Yeah, things were great for me when I was 28 too. I just graduated business school and moved to Manhattan for a great job. A lot of my friends still lived close by and we used to hang out all the time. of course it rocked.

At 38, i've seen little to indicate that shit does, in fact, get better with age.

YaraMateo
08-18-2011, 10:59 PM
That's what people who are like 22 think. Over 30 seems "old" if you come from somewhere/when high school or college is viewed as your "glory days". Where one is expected to find a job, get married and settle down right afterwards.

These days, people seem to go through an extended "post adolescent" phase between finishing school and their 30s, especially in more urban areas. 30s seems "old" for the same reason 21 used to seem old. Because you are getting to an age where you are expected to not act like you are still in college anymore.

I thought 30+ was old when I was in my early 20s as well. But I think that had more to do with still having a college fraternity party mentality.

I'm trying to talk from a biological point of view. There comes a certain time when you can't (in good faith) say "X is young". I think a lot of this has to do with baby boomers and gen Xers. They just can't accept they're getting (for Xers)/are old (boomers). So, 30 is the new 20. 2020, 40 will be the new 20. 2030 50 will be the new 20. :eek: At some point this has to stop. It's the nature of things. At some point we're all young and all some point (unless you die young) you're gonna be old. Now, I'm not saying you're 30 and you're old as dirt. You're 30 and older and it's time to die. Fuck, you can be 100. Seriously, at a certain point you're not young any more. Saying you are (despite how you feel :rolleyes:) is just being in denial.

Nobody
08-18-2011, 11:03 PM
I feel young and will until I hit 40. Then I'll feel like, and start referring to myself as middle aged. But not a day before.
Edit: Well, even after I might still feel young, but I won't call myself that.

Skald the Rhymer
08-18-2011, 11:07 PM

I'm pretty sure than thirty still counts as young - I don't think anyone would deny that I'm still a fairly young man today, and I counted many thirty-year-olds in law school as friends and peers. Still do. So, I assume you can still count as "young" into at least your early thirties.

I have checked the records, son. You are not merely still young; you are still ridiculously young. Ridiculously. You're so young it makes me want to vomit. It's all I can do to keep from slapping you.

Further examination of the Moirae's plans for you indicate that you are scheduled to become middle aged on 7 December 2034. On that date whatever youthful optimism and vigor you still retain will be removed, by force if necessary, and it will be replaced with bitterness, cynicism, despair, and simmering rage. I'm not sure you'll even like Tolkien after that.

Eonwe
08-18-2011, 11:14 PM
I'm 31, and work with kids year-round.

When I started what I do, I was only 4 years older than the high school seniors, and still felt like a peer of theirs, of a sort.

Some time in the last, oh, three years, I've definitely felt that they (in general) are kids and I'm an adult. The way they interact with me has changed subtly, and there is a wall that wasn't there when I was, say 23 or 24.

So, by some measure anyway, I'm "old". Or, at least "old compared to some." When I was 20 I was too old to really fit in with the 10 year olds. I was fine with that. Now I don't really fit in with the 20 year olds, and I don't know how I feel about that.

Lukeinva
08-18-2011, 11:18 PM
When (ahem) younger girls start calling you sir.

msmith537
08-20-2011, 12:49 AM
I'm trying to talk from a biological point of view. There comes a certain time when you can't (in good faith) say "X is young". I think a lot of this has to do with baby boomers and gen Xers. They just can't accept they're getting (for Xers)/are old (boomers). So, 30 is the new 20. 2020, 40 will be the new 20. 2030 50 will be the new 20. :eek: At some point this has to stop. It's the nature of things. At some point we're all young and all some point (unless you die young) you're gonna be old. Now, I'm not saying you're 30 and you're old as dirt. You're 30 and older and it's time to die. Fuck, you can be 100. Seriously, at a certain point you're not young any more. Saying you are (despite how you feel :rolleyes:) is just being in denial.

As you get older, you care less about what 20 year olds think because you realize most of them don't know shit.

The whole X is the new X-Y thing is fine if that's what you need to continue to enjoy life to its fullest. People are throwing away the notion that once you hit 25, you should spend the rest of your life working and sitting in your recliner watching TV. Whether you are "young" according to some Madison Avenue definition of a target consumer demographic is irrelevant.

That said, I don't believe in perpetually trying to cling to your early 20s. As you age, you are expected to grow and mature and behaviors that were acceptible when you were 18, you should know better when you are 28, 38 or 48.

I also don't go for this whole youth culture worship. "Young" implies a lack of maturity and development. Being young is exciting because everything is new and everything seems possible. However, being young also means a lack of knowledge and experience and the wisdom that comes with it.

NoiseBomb
08-20-2011, 01:13 AM
We need a mid-tween category or something for the "no longer young but not quite middle aged, grudgingly accepting the bifocals but in denial about the streak of grey hair on our chins that gets shaved off every morning" folks. (age 38 falls into that one.)

Bri2k
08-20-2011, 06:26 AM
I'm 43 (turning 44 in a couple of months) and I definitely consider myself middle-aged. Assuming I make it to the ripe old age of 86. If you go by life expectancy, you actually hit middle age in your late 30s.

I experienced the whole "time is passing much faster now" thing and I think it boils down to percentages. When you're 10, a year is a much larger chunk of your life than when you're 30.

Bri2k

jackdavinci
08-20-2011, 07:17 AM
40. Or if you are gay, 30.

picunurse
08-20-2011, 07:56 AM
Lather (http://youtube.com/watch?v=RVstafKZDYY) was 30 years old today, they took away all of his toys. His mother sent newspaper clipping to him about his old friends that stopped being boys.

chappachula
08-20-2011, 09:21 AM
"old" is easy to define:
it's the age at which people do things that you don't want to do, and can hardly imagine yourself ever wanting to do.

the numbers are irrelevant--its the "doing" that determines who is old and who isn't.

You and the person in the cublicle next to you may be the same number, say 26 yrs old. But after work, you are planning to get drunk tonite, and she is planning to go shopping for baby formula. You can't imagine ever doing that, and don't even know which store carries baby products .

or if you are both a generation older, say 49, talking about vacations. You are planning a ski trip and a stop in Vegas with your buddies. She is planning a luxury cruise with a few friends some of whom will be bringing their grandchildren.

And when you're 80---you talk about the new car you bought, and she talks about the nursing home she's moving to.

GameHat
08-21-2011, 01:54 AM
"middle-aged" has definitely moved. I'm 30, and frankly I don't feel that much different than when I was 20. It is very strange - when I was a kid, 40 seemed like old. Now I work with guys in their 40s and they still seem youthful. I'd put middle age as starting at 45, though better medicine and health-care keep pushing that back. Probably the only age-things I've noticed for myself are:

1) I'm going gray. This for me started at age 23; I'm proably 30% salt on the salt and pepper scale.

2) I've mellowed my smart mouth and backtalk. I've always been a mouthy guy, but specifically from age 25 to 30, I've gotten way better at holding back. Part of this is probably biological (guys under 25 are WAY more recklessly impulsive) and part is probably just from working in a professional environment, where I got smacked down more than a few times for back-sassing upper-management.

I'd say, still, there are signs you are no longer young. I saw one today. I was playing in a charity golf tourney with two friends, aged 36 and 51.

Both are in better shape than me. But both started complaining of stiffness and aches after about 13 holes. My own out-of-shape ass didn't mind it at all. Both told me, "wait until you're older."

My grandfather once took me aside and said: "Look, you can do anything to your body until you're 50. After that you're slow to recover."

So maybe 45-50, you're no longer young? I'll let you know when I get there.

Nobody
08-21-2011, 02:40 AM
People are aging better today than in the past. A 50 year old today looks about like what a 40 year old looked like 20 years ago.

And young and old are so relative. I'm in my late 30's. Just 3 or 4 years ago people in their 40's and older were calling me kid, and a few days ago in a work meeting somebody mentioned the 80's, and said he thought I probably would have been to young to remember. I didn't correct him. :D

Yet, for all the talk some people will have about starting to get old in their 40s or 50s, what's the one thing somebody says if somebody in that age range dies? "They were so young." And, "They were too young to die."

I don't think we'll every agree on what's young, what's old, and what's in-between.

septimus
08-21-2011, 04:24 AM
I'm 61, called myself "middle-aged" the other day, and an older friend laughed and told me I was old; that "middle-aged" means 35 (half of the nominal threescore-and-ten). But I see that the Oxford English Dictionary takes my side: "from about 45 to 65."

When I was 21, 30 seemed old but by 29, it didn't. Similarly with 40, 50 ... and I still don't feel old at 61! I'm sure, however, that a magic mind swap would reveal that my 61-year old self has aches and pains I've grown used to, that I didn't have at 21.

The changing "speed of time" can be ... frightening. Sometimes when speaking of a news event, I'll describe it as "quite recent" and a friend will say "No, it was five years ago" and I'll say, "Yeah, that's what I meant." :D

When (ahem) younger girls start calling you sir.

It can be a bad sign when they start flirting with you. :cool: At age 40 you're a threat; by 60 you're a cuddly grandfather figure.

Koxinga
08-21-2011, 07:09 AM
I suppose I'm no longer young when I look at pictures of Gwen Stefani or Catherine Zeta Jones and say with some surprise, "wow, she's still looking pretty good for someone . . . my age."

Nobody
08-21-2011, 03:27 PM
I find Valerie Bertinelli hot, and she's 13 years older than I am.

overlyverbose
08-21-2011, 03:33 PM
I only just realized I was no longer young when I was at my son's kindergarten open house for parents (code for: opportunity for parents to fill out yet more forms). I was sitting with all the other parents filling out forms and looking around and thought, "Wow, people sure are having kids late these days. Everyone here looks old." Then I did a facepalm when I realized that we were all probably roughly the same age.

I certainly wouldn't classify myself as "old," but young I ain't.

terrim
08-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Ohhhhh please......:eek: young is a state of mind. i'm 42 so what lol. I will always be young. i can still think like a kid and go have fun like one. The moment you stop smiling or doing something absalutley silly is the day your old. I still go sledding and skateing, i still play ps2 and wii (i'm a closet nerd lol) Sometimes my son who is 18 will stay up 10-15 hours straight playing ps2 games. I still color in coloring books and love Tinker Bell and Stitch, I still cry at Bambi for heavens sake. Old is a state of mind, there is no middle age or old. Old is when I have finally passed on because my darn body gave out on me. So relax enjoy life have fun be fun.

MareIt
08-22-2011, 08:59 PM
I turned 35 today.

My perspective on age is warped by the fact that I work with a company that employs a TON of 23 year olds fresh out of college. However a Sr VP that is 75 has convinced me that age is a mindset not a number; he is younger than I am :)

Wesley Clark
08-22-2011, 09:02 PM
When your body starts fucking up and can't repair itself as well. I'm only in my early 30s, but my body isn't as resilient as it was just 5 years ago. I get a lot more chronic pains and get injured more easily. That may have to do with my lifestyle being different too though (I don't exercise as much, and my job is more physically demanding).

salinqmind
08-22-2011, 09:48 PM
I found an oldies station on the radio! I'm driving along in my sweet new ride, singing along to songs they played when I was in high school! Haven't heard them in years and years, feeling great, feeling fine. Then there's a commercial for senior citizen's apartments - hair salon, fitness center, deli, great view, blah blah - ? - and I learn: I was eligible to move in 5 years ago! :eek: Who? Me???

Declan
08-23-2011, 12:02 AM

Probably when 21 year old hotties, become either 31 or 41 year old hotties.

Enjoy your 28th, when the time comes you wont give it a second thought.

Declan

Silvorange
08-23-2011, 12:13 AM
I was going to start considering myself middle-aged when I turn 40, but I changed my mind. I am having my first "my body is wearing out"-related surgery (a microdiscectomy) in a few hours. I think of it as my graduation from youth.

I went to my 20-year high school reunion last year. I always thought those were for old people (20 years?!), but it was just a bunch of kids my age.

Rachellelogram
08-23-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm also turning 27 next month. For now, 35 looks like the first non-young year in my future. But TBH I don't feel very young now, either. My knees hurt, I'm stuck in a rut, and I'm pretty cranky most of the time.

I think that aging denial is fucking creepy. 50 is not young. 50 MIGHT be the tail-end of middle-aged, if people in your family often live to 90+. But there is no frame of reference in which a 50-year-old can call themselves young, unless it's strictly comparative vs someone much older. You might be able to say "I'm young compared to my grandmother, who is 105." But you can not say "I'm 50 and I'm young!" or "I'm 50 years young!" without actual young people thinking you're an object worthy of ridicule.

I'm cranky today.

nivlac
08-23-2011, 06:39 PM
There is no fixed age at which you go from "young" to "not young". It's all relative to the people around you. If you're in a room of senior retirees, then you can be 50 and still young. If you're 32 in a room of teenagers you'll feel as old as dirt. Since you probably spend most of your outside-of-home time at work, then one good benchmark is the age of your colleagues at work. When you go from being among the young turks in the office to being one of the "seasoned" veterans, then you've crossed over from young to not-so-young. Take this from a not-so-young.

Unintentionally Blank
08-23-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm also turning 27 next month. For now, 35 looks like the first non-young year in my future. But TBH I don't feel very young now, either. My knees hurt, I'm stuck in a rut, and I'm pretty cranky most of the time.

I think that aging denial is fucking creepy. 50 is not young. 50 MIGHT be the tail-end of middle-aged, if people in your family often live to 90+. But there is no frame of reference in which a 50-year-old can call themselves young, unless it's strictly comparative vs someone much older. You might be able to say "I'm young compared to my grandmother, who is 105." But you can not say "I'm 50 and I'm young!" or "I'm 50 years young!" without actual young people thinking you're an object worthy of ridicule.

I'm cranky today.

I felt older at 28 then I did at 32. The difference? Exercise.

Get off the couch and MOVE a bit.

msmith537
08-24-2011, 02:43 PM

I'm cranky today.

"I can't let you in cause you're old as fuck. For this club...not for the earth."

msmith537
08-24-2011, 08:35 PM
There is no fixed age at which you go from "young" to "not young". It's all relative to the people around you. If you're in a room of senior retirees, then you can be 50 and still young. If you're 32 in a room of teenagers you'll feel as old as dirt. Since you probably spend most of your outside-of-home time at work, then one good benchmark is the age of your colleagues at work. When you go from being among the young turks in the office to being one of the "seasoned" veterans, then you've crossed over from young to not-so-young. Take this from a not-so-young.

It's all relative though. As a 36 year old director in a management consulting firm who had been there 4 years, I was one of the "old guys". But when I took a job with a big insurance company where I was managing a team of people mostly a few years older, I was this young arrogant whippersnapper.

taffygirl
08-24-2011, 08:47 PM

To me, it's like:

20s - young/early adult
30s - solidly adult
70s - old
80s - OLD
90s - JFC, old!

I love this. You made my day!

VOW
08-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Turning 30 didn't bother me. When I reached forty, I was on a nonstop hamster wheel to work, take care of my family, pay the bills, and just survive.

Fifty hurt my feelings.

It was when I saw my poor naked body in a full length mirror, and I cried, "Oh my GOD!" that I realized I'm now over the hill and definitely on the downside.

I'm 58.

~VOW

Best Topics: collagen casing kosher nickelodeon name chauncey howell biography armon hammer song convoy zyrtec addiction volunteers firefighters sudafed expiration date tit breast revenue collection bureau hanging asphyxiation brylcreem for beard tom mullica cigarette galileo torture ever swiss watches songs thursday casterated men shubunkin koi dye facial hair fake scallop old acetylene tank skinny legged woman ikea spoons oven outlets agnostic christmas dope flannels how to drown randstad works lps collars ebay drinking sweat cat peeing excessively maladolescenza nude wife in stocking rocky and bullwinkle street sweeper what is red cream soda face cut out board whatever happened to susan powter amc 3d glasses fit over glasses why are pistachios expensive no touch male orgasm rose of jericho tattoo pictures dr adrian rogers 1931 quote how to fight with sai authors like stuart woods can you cheat a dna swab test vermont inspection sticker colors food for camping without cooking lemon glaze with lemon extract lending club income verification how does dog food taste how to know if the mailman came how to disable a bomb are jaguars good cars gi joe aircraft carrier for sale garbage disposal backing up into sink h salt fish and chips batter recipe nicotine patch for weight loss landlord wont fix hot water flushing cockroaches down the toilet to hit on someone six feet under brenda cheats soccer player ear flick oh no she di'int be kind everyone is fighting how do automatic flush toilets work cartoon angel and devil on shoulder contact lens plunger target how long do people stay drunk can't loosen oil drain plug how long can bread pudding sit out