PDA

View Full Version : Fifteen years after Rogaine. Any studies on reduction of baldness?

aceplace57
08-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Fifteen years (perhaps more) after Rogaine hit the market. Are there any studies on reduction of baldness?

I've watched the hairlines of friends and coworkers thin throughout the years. The literature says Rogaine is most effective for people under 40. I'm sure a lot of 25 year olds started using the stuff back in 1996. They are now approaching 40. There should be studies indicating how many of these men still have hair.

Just looking around I see little change in baldness among men I saw in the 1980's and guys I see in 2010. Sit in any stadium and you'll be blinded by the shiny chrome domes. :D

So has Rogaine helped significantly among the population or not?

Minoxidil is used to stimulate hair growth and to slow balding. It is most
effective for people under 40 years of age whose hair loss is recent. Minoxidil
has no effect on receding hairlines. It does not cure baldness; most new hair
is lost within a few months after the drug is stopped.
http://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000883

picunurse
08-07-2010, 01:38 PM
According to the label, it only works for a few months anyway. My husband used it for a while, but the ridiculous price, with only limited success wasn't worth it.

He also looked into hair transplant, but that too, is only temporary.

Belowjob2.0
08-07-2010, 02:57 PM
I've been using it for 3 years or so, in concert with saw palmetto. (The literature I read noted that a rogaine/ proscar regmen was effective, but that rogaine/saw palmetto was more effective, because there were a wider variety of active compounds in saw palmetto.

It's stopped my hair loss completely, and initiated a small amount of regrowth.
I'm sure I'd be noticeably bald otherwise.

I'm 48, started using at approx 45.

You do have to use it every day, preferably twice a day. The price has gone down, I don't find it to be problematic.

aceplace57
08-07-2010, 08:15 PM
I would have expected some long term studies of this stuff by now. It takes years to know if a 25 year old will retain his hair or not. They should track a test group for at least 20 years to see if there are any long term benefits.

I have heard young guys on Rogaine claim there is less hair in the drain after shampooing. Some guys find fists full of hair in the drain before seeking help.

The Second Stone
08-07-2010, 11:07 PM
I started using it at about age 39 and I'm almost 48 now. The bald spot is covered a bit better.

digs
08-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Wow, so it really does work? Maybe not well, but there are minor results? Is it true all the hair falls out again if you stop using?

ps: THIS would be a great thread for a compassionate female to drop in and say "Silly boys, we don't care if you go bald. Save your money!"

08-08-2010, 12:17 AM
I would have expected some long term studies of this stuff by now. It takes years to know if a 25 year old will retain his hair or not. They should track a test group for at least 20 years to see if there are any long term benefits.Who would pay for long term studies?
Not the makers of Rogaine; they are selling plenty of it without studies. And there is always the chance (fairly high chance in fact, based on the short term studies) that the results of the study would say that using Rogaine has no significant effect over the long term. Not something the makers would want to fund!

Renee
08-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Silly boys, we don't care if you go bald. Save your money!

Really, I personally don't care a bit. My husband, who actually isn't losing his hair, is instead fretting about grey hairs around his temple. Also not an issue at all. Confidence is sexier than a bunch of products, guys.

Mona Lisa Simpson
08-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Wow, so it really does work? Maybe not well, but there are minor results? Is it true all the hair falls out again if you stop using?

ps: THIS would be a great thread for a compassionate female to drop in and say "Silly boys, we don't care if you go bald. Save your money!"

This.

I love that my boyfriend shaves his head. I like it when he gets too busy/lazy to shave too, and it grows in around the sides. (Thats so rare though, it almost feels like I'm stepping out with another guy when he has hair)

Seriously, there is never any greasy hair, hair in my face if we are cuddled up, lingering smoke smell in his hair from a party or whatever. It is a very clean look and it seems hygenic.

If I am ever single again I may actually put "baldness a PLUS" in a dating profile.

Markxxx
08-08-2010, 11:24 AM
From Seinfeld

Elaine: And he's growing it in just for me. [Happily] It's mine. It's all mine.

Jerry: It's just hair.

Elaine: It's not just hair! Look! <Shows Kurt's licence to Jerry again.>

Jerry: It's brown.

Elaine: It's chestnut with auburn highlights!

Jerry: So?

Elaine: You're not around women. You don't know how important a man's hair is. <They both look at George, who is reading a newspaper and struggling to keep his composure.> I'm sorry, George, but it's true.

George [close to tears]: I knew it.

taffygirl
08-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Some women find a bald head irresistible.. I happen to agree with Dave Barry that guys with shaved heads tend to look like giant thumbs. Baldness isn't a deal breaker if the rest of the guy is attractive, but I gotta say, hair is sexy. Maybe it's some kind of karmic balancing of scales for women and cellulite.;)

Sablicious
08-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Rogaine's a crock imo. It's based on minoxidil - a compound that only works on the hairline and only for some people. They don't even know how it works - lol!... just like magnets. :rolleyes: Palmetto's supposed to be better, once again, for an unestablished reason. Apparently indigenous American Indians used it for something I can't recall right now, nor can be bothered Google-ing(:p), and stumbled upon its follicular loss-prevention characteristics. Its primary use is for urinary problems associated with an enlarged prostate.

Another method know as 'Bayalam', of subcontinental Indian derivation, which entails the rubbing of one's finger nails together to stimulate blood flow to the scalp, may also have some merit. If you do it for a few minutes you should feel a warm sensation in the scalp/head. It's also a relaxing, meditative practice, if I'm not mistaken.

The obvious reason they don't have any concrete studies on the effectiveness of these commercial treatments is because there's a multi billion-dollar industry predicated on their continual sale. If what we all suspect, that these elixirs are just placebos is born out, then many an ivory tower will topple.

The one rule of thumb however is, if you lose you hair outright - no fine baby-like growth, no root, nada - only a transplant will do. No [known] medication can bring your hairs back. Hence the emphasis these companies place on starting their treatments early. For if you come to them late they can only pluck and replant hairs so many times before you start developing that Laim Neeson-like 'bowl cut' look! That, and they can only fleece you for the surgical procedure(s), which is a considerably more finite cash cow. :rolleyes:

TWDuke
08-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Rogaine's a crock imo. It's based on minoxidil - a compound that only works on the hairline and only for some people. Odd, then, that the packaging doesn't claim that it works on the hairline. It says the exact opposite in fact. Do you have a better source of information, or are you just making up crap?

Sablicious
08-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Rogaine's a crock imo. It's based on minoxidil - a compound that only works on the hairline and only for some people. Odd, then, that the packaging doesn't claim that it works on the hairline. It says the exact opposite in fact. Do you have a better source of information, or are you just making up crap?
Used it. Hairline only. But research it, as I did before I invested, and you'll find this to be factual. It's common knowledge for those in the know. Don't ask me why this is the case however, as those that hock the stuff don't know themselves! Ahhh... science! :rolleyes:

NB: This is contingent upon the active ingredient in Rogaine still being minoxidil. They may have changed it in recent times... dunno.

TWDuke
08-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah, sorry, "research it" is not normally considered evidence.

digs
08-08-2010, 03:59 PM

Really, I personally don't care a bit. My husband, who actually isn't losing his hair, is instead fretting about grey hairs around his temple. Also not an issue at all. Confidence is sexier than a bunch of products, guys.

Thank you. ladies. All of us with receding hairlines owe each of you a plate of cookies, or flowers, or a trip to Switzerland.

Esp. those of us who don't want to be vain enough to start spending money on the top of our head, on something that won't make us better people.

We'll be looking for that "baldness a PLUS" in a dating profile...

aceplace57
08-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Cecil did an article on hair replacement in 2007.
Unfortunately he doesn't mention any research studies.
Maybe there aren't any?
https://academicpursuits.us/columns/read/2708/hair-today-more-tomorrow

taffygirl
08-08-2010, 05:27 PM
From the National Institutes of Health website (http://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000883):

"Minoxidil is used to stimulate hair growth and to slow balding. It is most effective for people under 40 years of age whose hair loss is recent. Minoxidil has no effect on receding hairlines. It does not cure baldness; most new hair is lost within a few months after the drug is stopped."

Sounds like it may work for men over 40, but not as effectively? And it just plain doesn't work on receding hairlines.

If I were a guy, I'd hate losing my hair. I'm sure it sucks.

DSeid
08-08-2010, 05:49 PM
One 2 3/4 year follow-up. (http://eblue.org/article/S0190-9622(87)70089-9/abstract) Modest response that was maintained while medicine use was maintained at twice a day for the study period.

Indeed the hairs scat (http://eblue.org/article/S0190-9622(87)70179-0/abstract) when usage is stopped.

Curiously I can find no studies on longer term safety or efficacy. I guess the manufacturer has no motivation to fund them and government monies are probably better spent funding other things.

My wife misses the hair of my young adult days. Personally I am thrilled with just buzzing the scattered remnants down once a week and leaving the patchy fuzz alone. She may miss the brown curls but they'd be gray by now anyway and I think I look younger and sharper with my fuzz-do than I would with limper gray curls and even a modestly reduced baldness (and mine was always a patchy baldness rather than the vertex spot) anyway. I can't claim a lack of any vanity, but not enough to warrant twice a day application forever from early on for a modest effect. That vain I aint.

engineer_comp_geek
08-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Wow, so it really does work?

This really isn't a surprise. Rogaine wasn't developed to cure baldness. It was originally used orally to treat high blood pressure. While taking it for that purpose, a lot of balding patients noticed that they were regrowing some of their lost hair. So they knew it worked before they even started marketing it for curing baldness.

arseNal
08-08-2010, 06:18 PM
According to the label, it only works for a few months anyway. Does the label really say this? I've never heard this (and don't have a bottle handy to read).

aceplace57
08-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks DSeid. That's the type of controlled study I was looking for.

One 2 3/4 year follow-up. (http://eblue.org/article/S0190-9622(87)70089-9/abstract) Modest response that was maintained while medicine use was maintained at twice a day for the study period.

Indeed the hairs scat (http://eblue.org/article/S0190-9622(87)70179-0/abstract) when usage is stopped.

Curiously I can find no studies on longer term safety or efficacy. I guess the manufacturer has no motivation to fund them and government monies are probably better spent funding other things.

GHO57
08-09-2010, 12:06 PM
I don't get the whole hair thing... I just shave it all off.

shiftless
08-09-2010, 01:35 PM
I don't care about my hair either, maybe because I'm not losing it. My son is losing his and is worried about it. Hair care has always been important to him, with the shampoos and conditioners and the jels and whatnot. Something I could never understand but it IS important to a lot of guys.

There is a lot of money to be made in catering to and feeding that fear of balding. Hair dressers have told my son that he will "lose his hair" if he doesn't use top quality shampoo and conditioner (like they sell.) The TV ads make it appear that there are products that can actually regrow a full head. Rogaine is a great model of the way drugs are sold these days. If they can prove that there is some effect, no matter how small, they apparently can advertise themselves as being a cure.

Never mind whether Rogaine will grow hair. Has there been any study of the effects of 25 year old men smearing large amounts of high blood pressure on their heads?

Belowjob2.0
08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
I don't care about my hair either, maybe because I'm not losing it. My son is losing his and is worried about it. Hair care has always been important to him, with the shampoos and conditioners and the jels and whatnot. Something I could never understand but it IS important to a lot of guys.

There is a lot of money to be made in catering to and feeding that fear of balding. Hair dressers have told my son that he will "lose his hair" if he doesn't use top quality shampoo and conditioner (like they sell.) The TV ads make it appear that there are products that can actually regrow a full head. Rogaine is a great model of the way drugs are sold these days. If they can prove that there is some effect, no matter how small, they apparently can advertise themselves as being a cure.

Never mind whether Rogaine will grow hair. Has there been any study of the effects of 25 year old men smearing large amounts of high blood pressure on their heads?

In the baldness community (yeah, there really is such a thing) one regimen many people swear by is

topical Rogaine, twice daily

proscar (finasteride) once daily by mouth

Nizoral shampoo, daily

Not offering this as medical advice, just information. I have seen this work for some people. I don't know if it works for everyone.

Push You Down
08-09-2010, 07:22 PM
From what I've been told Rogaine is not APPROVED for hairline loss because the success rate is even smaller than for "crowning" (bald spot). You can use it for thinning and receeding hairline. That's what I'm using it for at least until the wedding in a few months.

I've been using it for 2 1/2 months and there seems to be a marked improvement.

Guinastasia
08-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Question -- if a person who isn't balding takes it, what happens? Does your hair become thicker, or fuller or something like that?

Belowjob2.0
08-09-2010, 11:46 PM
minoxidil wiki, FWIW,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoxidil
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoxidil)

Shot From Guns
08-10-2010, 05:50 PM

My only requirement is that the length of the hair you do have should be inversely proportionate to how much of it is left. I.e., the more bald you are, the shorter your remaining hair should be. At a certain point (depending on exactly where you're losing hair and the shape of your head), you'll look most attractive just shaving everything off.

The Bith Shuffle
08-10-2010, 06:08 PM

My only requirement is that the length of the hair you do have should be inversely proportionate to how much of it is left. I.e., the more bald you are, the shorter your remaining hair should be. At a certain point (depending on exactly where you're losing hair and the shape of your head), you'll look most attractive just shaving everything off.

So if I have a full head of thick hair, I should grow it out until it consumes whole ecosystems like kudzu?

Belowjob2.0
08-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Question -- if a person who isn't balding takes it, what happens? Does your hair become thicker, or fuller or something like that?

Since nobody else has answered, I'll throw out some speculation.

They market a variety of Rogaine specifically for women with thinning hair. It works, at least to the degree that the government hasn't shut it down for false advertising.

Rogaine works by keeping hair follicles from shutting down (and then scarring up) that would otherwise shut down. It doesn't AFAIK have any positive effect on active hair follicles.

I say positive effect because one acknowledged side effect of Rogaine is short term hair loss due to speeding up the growth-dormancy-growth cycle in normal follicles. So a person with normal hair could actually lose hair using Rogaine.

Guinastasia
08-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Really? That sucks. Well, so much for the "give-myself-a-nice-head-of-luscious-shampoo-commercial-hair" idea. (Note: I'm not balding nor do I have thinning hair. Just really poker straight, baby fine hair.)

China Guy
08-10-2010, 11:35 PM
I got two words for you: Steve Ballmer.

I'm sure he would spring for a couple of billion to tag "cured baldness" on his bio. I'm just saying....

Belowjob2.0
08-11-2010, 12:03 AM
I got two words for you: Steve Ballmer.

I'm sure he would spring for a couple of billion to tag "cured baldness" on his bio. I'm just saying....

Ballmer could easily afford the best micro transplant surgery. He could get a full head of hair in a couple of years, I'm fairly sure. If he doesn't have one, it's cause he doesn't want one.

It's actually a significant work issue for certain careers - actors, rockers, politicians, certain types of sales.

http://hairtransplant-info.com/celebrity-hair-transplants-in-photos/
(http://hairtransplant-info.com/celebrity-hair-transplants-in-photos/)

If it's not an issue for someone career wise, I don't know why they'd go through the trouble.

DSeid
08-11-2010, 08:25 AM

Since nobody else has answered, I'll throw out some speculation...
Well your speculation may be as good as it gets. My initial thoughts were a straight up "no" but then I read this article (http://medscape.com/viewarticle/470297_2) on what little we know of how it works, and I am not so sure. Hair diameter does tend to increase and that effect on the growth cycle means that hairs stay in longer ... so a definite "No one knows. But maybe."

Shot From Guns
08-11-2010, 10:00 AM
So if I have a full head of thick hair, I should grow it out until it consumes whole ecosystems like kudzu?

The rule applies specifically to men who're losing their hair. But I'm not going to stop you if you want to try--as long as you supply pictures.

ralph124c
08-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Face it, most wigs look awful. Why is it so hard to attach replacement hairs to a head? Given the market for a good quality wig, why haven't inventors been able to come up with a solution?:rolleyes:

Duke
08-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Actually I'd love to know the answer, if there is one, to ralph's question. When my mother lost her hair after chemo, she planned to wear a wig, but ended up not doing so because all the wigs she found were either ill-fitting or ugly. Surely Hollywood movies employ wigs which don't look terrible and seem to fit well; how has that not filtered down to the mainstream market?

Add99
08-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Phil Spector found some nice wigs, ask him.

"I don't get the whole hair thing, just shave it", said Samson.

Everyone knows hair = testosterone + youth. Look at Fabio.

Shot From Guns
08-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Surely Hollywood movies employ wigs which don't look terrible and seem to fit well; how has that not filtered down to the mainstream market?

My WAG? They're custom-fitted and attached before every shoot by professional hair and makeup artists, as well as touched up frequently as the day goes on. I.e., it's obscenely expensive and time-consuming.

Maus Magill
08-12-2010, 11:55 AM
I used it for a little while 12 years ago. About all it was good for was wasting money and making dandruff.

SmackFu
08-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Actually I'd love to know the answer, if there is one, to ralph's question. When my mother lost her hair after chemo, she planned to wear a wig, but ended up not doing so because all the wigs she found were either ill-fitting or ugly. Surely Hollywood movies employ wigs which don't look terrible and seem to fit well; how has that not filtered down to the mainstream market?
Many, many African-American women including celebrities wear weaves, which are basically like a semi-permanent wig. They certainly pass for real hair.

(f you're totally bald, I'm not sure what they would attach it to, but I'm sure they could figure something out.)

Best Topics: calitas eagles funny 800 number tanning bed guys rick's restorations fake dog ate multivitamin endnotes mac artificial speciation leaded gasoline stations k cup sizes judo self defense funny farm answers receipt checker walmart listerine tingling on nose little bill daggett 5 group math vhs rewinder full throttle twisted anbesol on penis chase coins man small hands pope berries swag urban dictionary gaper delay fake madrid dolphin magazines boder 0 trimps the wall falling skyscrapers brake rotor brands 31 inseam jeans german three fingers maynard g concierge marie value of old rolling stone magazines trade in any car for 3000 guy wire or guide wire how do automatic flush toilets work has ny ever voted republican did hitler know english can raid kill you crazy in the head, crazy in the bed packet of baking powder end of the bed chest how to pronounce heroine how long is a freight train dominos well done vs normal bake best glue for car interior fabric what to mix with malibu gas smell in house but everything is electric longest word you can type with left hand principal residential mortgage com how long does it take for a blood blister to go away car wont go in gear automatic song with robot voice at beginning why do teenagers eat so much young frankenstein frau blucher quotes what time does mail run tying up my girlfriend tomato juice and beer drink ruger 10 22 suppressor homemade how do i delete a gmail account from my computer how tall is 50 feet lg 5 disc dvd changer surround sound what ribbons can i wear army can you put pyrex on the stove modern family a slight at the opera movies people walked out of