PDA

View Full Version : TV characters who were unseen- until later in the series

Sampiro
09-30-2010, 08:38 AM
There's a long tradition of TV characters who were often referenced and sometimes heard but never seen: Carlton the doorman on Rhoda, Norm's wife Vera on Cheers, Maris on Frasier, etc.. But there are a few who were often referenced and never seen until later in the series, when suddenly they pop up.

Two I can think of offhand, but I know there are others:

Grace Under Fire- Grace's ex-husband Jimmy, described as a Jeff Foxworthy-sense redneck and all around idiot with a drinking problem, was unseen until suddenly the character becomes a regular played by Geoff Pierson in the third season.

The Nanny- Fran's father, Morty, was frequently mentioned but never seen- at least not facially or clearly- in the first several seasons. You learn that he's bald/wears a toupee but has lots of body hair and is probably obese- he sounded like a great role for Barney Martin (the actor who played Seinfeld's dad) or maybe a younger version of ubiquitous Jewish character actor Lou Jacobi (http://wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsJ/8599-900.gif). In the later seasons he had speaking roles and was seen head on and played by singer Steve Lawrence.

Any others who weren't seen until such time as they were?

Annie-Xmas
09-30-2010, 08:40 AM
John Bracken on Bracken's World (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracken's_World).

How did I pull that out of my brain?

silenus
09-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Robin Masters! :D

DrFidelius
09-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Jenny Piccolo on Happy Days.

Simplicio
09-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Interestingly, Maris from Fraiser actually was supposed to be a recurring character (they didn't want to duplicate the bit with Vera from Cheers), but by the time they got around to considering how to introduce her, the various jokes had made her too bizarre a creature to cast with an actual human.

Annie-Xmas
09-30-2010, 09:06 AM
On the soap Another World, whenever Rachel Frame went to visit her mother, the writers had her son Jaime get out of the scene by sending him over to play with Joey Perini. Finally, head writer Harding LeMay decided to introduce the whole Perini family. The role of Joey was played by a very young Ray Liotta.

Sampiro
09-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Interestingly, Maris from Fraiser actually was supposed to be a recurring character (they didn't want to duplicate the bit with Vera from Cheers), but by the time they got around to considering how to introduce her, the various jokes had made her too bizarre a creature to cast with an actual human.

David Hyde Pierce wanted Valerie Mahaffey (http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/070111/valerie_l.jpg), probably best known as Eve on Northern Exposure and who had played his super neurotic wife on the short lived Powers That Be, but as mentioned by the time it got around to it even the very thin Vallerey was too heavy and not high strung enough.
----------------

In The Guns of Will Sonnett Walter Brennan was the title character who rode with his grandson (Dack Rambo) trying to find his son/his grandson's father Jim Sonnett, who was never seen. Jim was brought on in the final season for 13 episodes.

Annie-Xmas
09-30-2010, 09:16 AM

Have you ever seen Clarissa Flockhart?

kunilou
09-30-2010, 09:39 AM
In the 50's sitcom December Bride Pete Porter would complain about his never-seen wife, Gladys. At the very end of the series Gladys suddenly appeared, just in time to be spun off into the sequel Pete and Gladys.

Annie-Xmas
09-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Columbo often referred to his wife, but she was never seen until the spinoff Mrs. Columbo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs._Columbo#Spin-off), where she was played by a post-Ryan's Hope and pre-Voyager Kate Mulgrew.

JohnT
09-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Don't know how much this counts, but Home Improvement had a really irritating schtick about the next door neighbor: we would only see him from his eyes-upward as he talked across the fence to Tim Allen.

Did the show ever reveal the rest of his face?

Sampiro
09-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Don't know how much this counts, but Home Improvement had a really irritating schtick about the next door neighbor: we would only see him from his eyes-upward as he talked across the fence to Tim Allen.

Only in the final episode. What I never understood about that gimmick was that they used an actor, Earl Hindman, who'd had a long career in movies and TV- he was on soap operas for many years- so his face (http://lifeinlegacy.com/2004/0103/HindmanEarl.jpg) was well known and easily found in any number of videos and likely to be on television at any time. An unknown would perhaps have been more enigmatic.

Seamack
09-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Jacob from Lost. Wasn't he mentioned very early in the first series, but never onscreen until the end of the 5th series?

Simplicio
09-30-2010, 10:00 AM

Extremely low weight was only one of Maris's physical abnormalities though. She had multiple plastic surgeries, couldn't produce saliva, etc.

Only in the final episode. What I never understood about that gimmick was that they used an actor, Earl Hindman, who'd had a long career in movies and TV- he was on soap operas for many years- so his face was well known and easily found in any number of videos and likely to be on television at any time. An unknown would perhaps have been more enigmatic.

I don't think it was supposed to be enigmatic, just a joke on the fact that during the first few seasons his only interactions with the rest of the cast was peaking over the back fence, so when they had him appear in other settings, they kept the same half-view of his face.

Jim's Son
09-30-2010, 10:01 AM
The early years of "All in the Family" George Jefferson never appeared. They talked about him frequently. Once the B unkers had an a man over for dinner who Lionel introduced as his father but at the end turned out to be his uncle Henry because George wouldn't set foot in Archie Bunker's house. At the time the explanation was Norman Lear always wanted Sherman Hensley to play George but he wasn't willing until later to sign a contract.

h.sapiens
09-30-2010, 10:02 AM
William Shatner first appeared as The Big Giant Head at the end of the fourth season of "Third Rock from the Sun"

Annie-Xmas
09-30-2010, 10:07 AM

Only in the final episode. What I never understood about that gimmick was that they used an actor, Earl Hindman, who'd had a long career in movies and TV- he was on soap operas for many years- so his face (http://lifeinlegacy.com/2004/0103/HindmanEarl.jpg) was well known and easily found in any number of videos and likely to be on television at any time. An unknown would perhaps have been more enigmatic.

Not quite true. I remember a Halloween episode where Wilson worn a "Phantom-logo" type mask, covering the top half of his face and showing the bottem half.

Bakhesh
09-30-2010, 10:16 AM
I've got a vague recollection of Vera Peterson eventually turning up in Cheers, but with a pie in her face. Or did I imagine that?

Miss Mapp
09-30-2010, 10:20 AM
I've got a vague recollection of Vera Peterson eventually turning up in Cheers, but with a pie in her face. Or did I imagine that?

No, it was in a Thanksgiving episode.

Annie-Xmas
09-30-2010, 10:23 AM
On Roseanne, Bonnie Sheridan, played by Bonnie Bramlett of Bonnie & Delaney fame, mentioned her husdand Duke several times in Season 3 He only showed up once, in season 4, played by David Crosby. They did a damn fine duet.

CalMeacham
09-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Allen Brady wasn't seen for the first year or two on The Dick Van Dyke Show. After that, Carl Reiner played him perfectly normally.

BJ Hunnicut's wife and Frank's wife weren't seen on M*A*S*H for a long time-- just referred to, but they eventually showed up in films sent to the 4077

kunilou
09-30-2010, 10:25 AM

You remember it correctly. Vera was played by George Wendt's real-life wife, Bernadette Birkett. Her only full-face appearance on Cheers was as woman who fell for Cliff at a Halloween party.

Horatio Hellpop
09-30-2010, 10:27 AM
My memory is faulty, but it seems to me that the Romulans (Star Trek) and the Reavers (Firefly) were referenced before they were actually shown.

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
09-30-2010, 10:32 AM
[Various] jokes had made her too bizarre a creature to cast with an actual human.
Frasier: "All I can see thru the keyhole is a coatrack."
Niles: "Is the coatrack moving?"

Seems like Sybil Gooley, Stretch Cunningham, and Rev. Felcher/Fletcher were all mentioned on "All in the Family" before they appeared.
Rev. Trimble was mentioned on "Sanford and Son," then later appeared, played by Alvin Childress of tv series "Amos 'n' Andy."

Don Draper
09-30-2010, 10:33 AM
In the comic book the Fantastic Four, a long-running gag (originating from within the first few issues) was the Thing referencing his "sweet aunt Petunia." Finally, decades later, a story ran with the Thing introducing the rest of his team-mates to Aunt Petunia!

Tom Tildrum
09-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Detective Fish was always talking on the phone to his wife, Bernice, in Barney Miller, but she wasn't actually seen until he got his own show as a spinoff.

Fried Dough Ho
09-30-2010, 11:10 AM
[Various] jokes had made her too bizarre a creature to cast with an actual human.
Frasier: "All I can see thru the keyhole is a coatrack."
Niles: "Is the coatrack moving?"

Seems like Sybil Gooley, Stretch Cunningham, and Rev. Felcher/Fletcher were all mentioned on "All in the Family" before they appeared.
Rev. Trimble was mentioned on "Sanford and Son," then later appeared, played by Alvin Childress of tv series "Amos 'n' Andy."

Technically, Maris IS depicted once. In the episode where Niles has a heart attack and a series of flash-backs are depicted. Maris is in bed, covered with bandages with Niles is sitting next to her saying, "They can always cut off more next time."

Don Draper
09-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Just thought of another one - on Doctor Who, for many years the good Doctor (and other random Time Lords he'd encounter) would make cryptic references to a long-ago, highly revered Time Lord named Rassilon. Finally, on the twentieth anniversary special the Five Doctors, the show depicted a holographic image of Rassilon. Then, MUCH later, in the new series a new, more aggressive race of Time Lords were being led by a mysterious, un-named President (played by Timothy Dalton). Producer Russell T. Davies confirmed that, while not named, the President was indeed the legendary Rassilon.

Push You Down
09-30-2010, 11:14 AM
In the comic book the Fantastic Four, a long-running gag (originating from within the first few issues) was the Thing referencing his "sweet aunt Petunia." Finally, decades later, a story ran with the Thing introducing the rest of his team-mates to Aunt Petunia!

The joke being that Aunt Petunia was not a little biddie but a a hot hot milf.

etv78
09-30-2010, 11:52 AM
The early years of "All in the Family" George Jefferson never appeared. They talked about him frequently. Once the B unkers had an a man over for dinner who Lionel introduced as his father but at the end turned out to be his uncle Henry because George wouldn't set foot in Archie Bunker's house. At the time the explanation was Norman Lear always wanted Sherman Hensley to play George but he wasn't willing until later to sign a contract.

Hemsley was unavaliable (he was in a play)

drastic_quench
09-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Dr. Claw fro the 80s cartoon Inspector Gadget. You only ever saw his hand. Years later a toy line was released that shows his face. No matter what it was, it would be disappointing by default. Google at your own risk.

Enderw24
09-30-2010, 12:05 PM
My memory is faulty, but it seems to me that the Romulans (Star Trek) and the Reavers (Firefly) were referenced before they were actually shown.

Your memory is faulty.

Since Firefly only had 14 episodes, I'd be hard pressed to call any episode "later" in the series. Nevertheless, Reavers appeared in what would have been the pilot (or in episode 2, Bushwacked, if you're going in air date order)

The Second Stone
09-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Did we ever see Phyllis' husband Lars on the Mary Tyler Moore show?

Skald the Rhymer
09-30-2010, 12:14 PM

SPEAK NOT ILL OF ALLY MACBEAL!

The part of me that doesn't hate everyone loves Callista Flockhart.

milquetoast
09-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Detective Fish was always talking on the phone to his wife, Bernice, in Barney Miller, but she wasn't actually seen until he got his own show as a spinoff.

Not correct.

Florence Stanley (http://imdb.com/name/nm0822476/) played Bernice Fish in six episodes of "Barney Miller". Her first appearance was in the sixth episode of the first season: "Stakeout (http://imdb.com/title/tt0519092/)".

Skald the Rhymer
09-30-2010, 12:31 PM

The same thing happened with Mary-Jane Watson, part of the joke being that Peter expected her to be hideous rather than a hottie.

Also, i have to puase to ritually curse Joe Quesada.

Northern Piper
09-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Maude's grandson (Philip?) was only referred to from time to time in the early run of the show, but he eventually did make some appearences. I think the reason was that Lear wanted the show to be a mature comedy, and introducing a pre-teen would have made it too close to a regular sitcom.

I think his first appearance was when his mum caught him playing "doctor" with the girl next door and marched him through the living room and up the stairs. He had his head down low and no speaking part. I do remember him in at least one part where he and Walter were watching "Josie and the Pussycats" (the cartoon, of course, not the movie) in a nice granddad-grandson scene.

cactus waltz
09-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Kathleen Turner as Chandler's dad in Friends.

notfrommensa
09-30-2010, 12:39 PM
On Dallas, Jock's buddy Punk Anderson was mentioned a lot in the earliest episodes, but IIRC, he did not make an appearance on the show until the 2nd season.

Archie on All in the Family talked a lot about his co-worker Stretch Cunningham before he ever appeared in an episode.

TriPolar
09-30-2010, 12:41 PM
The recent Straight Dope rerun about The Prisoner mentioned that Number 1 was revealed to be a doppelganger of the Number 6 in the last episode. Cheers had several members of Carla's family appear as characters long after they been mentioned on the show. Wings had Helen's mother, sister, and brother-in-law appear late in the run. On Bewitched, Endora's husband didn't make an appearance for a while, but it may not have all that long. Kung Fu brought in Danny Caine, Kwai Chang's brother, in one of the last episodes.

In the movies, True Grit (the real one with the Duke), had recurring references to Lawyer Dagget, painted as a dominant force, who was revealed at the end of the film in the form of the diminutive squeaky voiced actor John Fiedler.

Not quite true. I remember a Halloween episode where Wilson worn a "Phantom-logo" type mask, covering the top half of his face and showing the bottem half.

One episode showed some scenes shot after the story with the cast in front of the audience. Wilson held up a cardboard cut-out of a fence in front of his face.

Annie-Xmas
09-30-2010, 12:41 PM

And Morgan Fairchild as his mother. Their names were Charles and Nora.

Skald the Rhymer
09-30-2010, 12:46 PM

And Morgan Fairchild as his mother. Their names were Charles and Nora.

She showed up fairly early though--the eleventh episode of the first season, according to IMDB. Before the midway point of the first season isn't exactly later in the series; I'm not sure she was even mentioned before that.

Gordon Urquhart
09-30-2010, 12:54 PM
Airwolf's first several seasons made reference to Stringfellow Hawke's long-lost brother, St. John (pr. sin-jin). The latter finally showed up in the fourth season (exit Stringfellow, enter St. John).

I could never decide whether I'd prefer the name Stringfellow or St. John. Probably neither.

lost4life
09-30-2010, 01:08 PM

You remember it correctly. Vera was played by George Wendt's real-life wife, Bernadette Birkett. Her only full-face appearance on Cheers was as woman who fell for Cliff at a Halloween party.

I thought they missed a good opportunity to have Vera show up for the last show and have her be drop-dead gorgeous.

cactus waltz
09-30-2010, 01:17 PM
This is kind of minor, but in the Wire season three we get to hear a lot about a certain Eunetta Perkins. It is the woman that Marla Daniels is campaigning against. However, it takes until the final episode of the season for her to actually appear on screen.

Eutychus
09-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Allen Brady wasn't seen for the first year or two on The Dick Van Dyke Show. After that, Carl Reiner played him perfectly normally.

If I recall, Buddy Sorrell's wife Pickles was mentioned quite often, but never seen until later on in the series.

TBG
09-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Jacob from Lost. Wasn't he mentioned very early in the first series, but never onscreen until the end of the 5th series?

No, he was first seen at the end of season 5, but he was definitely not mentioned early in season 1. IIRC, first possible mention would be when "Henry" mentions something about the Others being led by a great man late in season 2, but the name Jacob wasn't mentioned until some point in season 3, and even then at first it's just seen flashing in the brainwashing movie being shown to Alex's boyfriend (God loves you as he loved Jacob) at which point it could've easily been mistaken for a Biblical reference rather than as a reference to leader of the Others.

OFF TOPIC NITPICK
There is only one series of Lost, and it lasted 6 seasons.

Skald the Rhymer
09-30-2010, 01:31 PM

No, he was first seen at the end of season 5, but he was definitely not mentioned early in season 1. IIRC, first possible mention would be when "Henry" mentions something about the Others being led by a great man late in season 2, but the name Jacob wasn't mentioned until some point in season 3, and even then at first it's just seen flashing in the brainwashing movie being shown to Alex's boyfriend (God loves you as he loved Jacob) at which point it could've easily been mistaken for a Biblical reference rather than as a reference to leader of the Others.

OFF TOPIC NITPICK

When speaking of television shows, the British use series as we use season. They use show as we use series (and, um, show).

Next you'll be objecting to the words lorry and petrol.

Boyo Jim
09-30-2010, 01:41 PM

Perhaps a feral sheep?

Colibri
09-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Tony Soprano's older sister Janice was seen only in childhood flashbacks (like his younger sister Barbara) until she became a major character in the second season.

Tom Tildrum
09-30-2010, 02:07 PM

Not correct.

Florence Stanley (http://imdb.com/name/nm0822476/) played Bernice Fish in six episodes of "Barney Miller". Her first appearance was in the sixth episode of the first season: "Stakeout (http://imdb.com/title/tt0519092/)".

Nice catch! I had no idea. :cool:

Markxxx
09-30-2010, 02:31 PM

No, Lars was killed off before he was ever seen.

On Empty Nest, there was a third youngest daughter named Emily, that was away at college and wasn't seen. After Kristy McNichol left the show, they brought her in temporarily to fill the gap.

Sampiro
09-30-2010, 02:35 PM

IIRC lorry is what they call an elevator and petrol are the mineral droppings that drip from the top of the queen downward.

On Empty Nest, there was a third youngest daughter named Emily, that was away at college and wasn't seen. After Kristy McNichol left the show, they brought her in temporarily to fill the gap.

Laverne's husband, a minor league ballplayer whose description was that of a Hee-Haw character, was often referred to but unseen until he became a recurring character in later scenes.

Skald the Rhymer
09-30-2010, 02:53 PM

IIRC lorry is what they call an elevator and petrol are the mineral droppings that drip from the top of the queen downward.

I'm going to have to release the lemmings on you for this. It's not personal.

gonzoron
09-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Dr. Claw fro the 80s cartoon Inspector Gadget. You only ever saw his hand. Years later a toy line was released that shows his face. No matter what it was, it would be disappointing by default. Google at your own risk.

Wow... that's..... not what I expected.

bibliophage
09-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Speaking of Cheers, there were references to Mrs. Clavin in the early years, but she doesn't appear on screen (played by Frances Sternhagen) until the fifth season. We did hear his mother's voice before that, but I don't know if Sternhagen played her then.

Chef Troy
09-30-2010, 11:07 PM
On The Drew Carey Show, Drew's original boss, Mr. Bell, was only heard via intercom but never seen for ages. Then he got fired and came out of his office for the first time carrying his stuff in a box (in the person of Kevin Pollack) and snarled something like "What's your problem, Carey? You're acting like you never saw me before!"

needscoffee
09-30-2010, 11:39 PM

If I recall, Buddy Sorrell's wife Pickles was mentioned quite often, but never seen until later on in the series.To elaborate: Pickles didn't appear until Season 1, Episode 13, and after Season 2 was not seen again. She was played by 2 different actresses. Pickles had 5 appearances altogether.

GuanoLad
10-01-2010, 12:20 AM
I seem to recall that Cockroach didn't appear on The Cosby Show until quite late in the game, after numerous mentions of him by Theo.

jackdavinci
10-01-2010, 01:48 AM

Yeah me either. I thought we had seen him from behind and he had been wearing a helmet or something. Or that he looked like Rupert Everett.

I think Jacob is fair for Lost. By the time he showed up, the show had us convinced he was a con of Ben's...

dwc1970
10-01-2010, 09:37 AM
On King of the Hill, Bill Dauterive often pines about his ex-wife Lenore, but we don't ever see her until she makes in appearance in season 5. The episode was Hank and the Great Glass Elevator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_and_the_Great_Glass_Elevator). She is never seen again in the series after this appearance.

Mona Lott
10-01-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm probably wrong, but I don't recall ever seeing Sarah, the phone operator on the Andy Griffith Show.

FordTaurusSHO94
10-01-2010, 02:03 PM
In Star Trek, the Breen, Dominion, and I'm sure several others are mentioned long before they are ever seen.

TBG
10-01-2010, 02:06 PM
OFF TOPIC NITPICK

When speaking of television shows, the British use series as we use season. They use show as we use series (and, um, show).

I'm well aware of what terms the British use, but it's not a British show so it's divided into seasons, not series.

There are a whole slew of reasons why series might be an appropriate term for British shows (their TV industry is completely different) but they don't apply to American shows.

And it's not like I ripped anyone a new one. I made a simple informative statement. If no one tells them they're using the terms 'wrong' when talking about American shows, they'll never learn. :p

Since it's off topic, that's the last I'll say on the matter in this thread, I don't want to totally derail things.

CalMeacham
10-01-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm probably wrong, but I don't recall ever seeing Sarah, the phone operator on the Andy Griffith Show.

This is a slight hijack, but along the same lines, you never see the guy who does the announcements in M*A*S*H. This has always bugged me, because he's clearly broadcasting from Radar's (later, Klinger's) office, since that's where the P.A. system is. Yet we never see him. Or, for that matter, know who he is. He seems completely out of the continuity of the show, because there's nobody among the regular or even the semi-regular cast* he could be.

Don't tell me the name of the actors who did the voice -- i know it's not conjured out of thin air. The point is that there's nobody on the show it could be. After 12 years, we should have run into him walking out of Radar's office, or somebody should have commented about what X said over the speaker, or something.

*like Nurse Kellye

Skald the Rhymer
10-01-2010, 02:17 PM

I'm well aware of what terms the British use, but it's not a British show so it's divided into seasons, not series.

So if I want to talk about Dr. Who, will you complain if I refer to seasons rather than series? :p

Miller
10-01-2010, 02:46 PM

It looks like someone's blowing on his face with a high-pressure air hose.

Miller
10-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Check it out:

Dr. Claw action figure (http://thereheis.com/nucleus3.22/item/2009/03/behold-the-face-of-dr-claw-2)

Martin Short from Innerspace (http://img4.immage.de/2601351987.innerspace.dvb.hdtv.1080i162017.png)

Coincidence?

FalconFinder
10-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Newman on Seinfeld was only referenced at first, then he showed up. There was an episode early on when he was threatening suicide and you hear him. The voice is Wayne Knight's, but you didn't see him.

I just don't remember how long into the show it was before he made an actual appearance.

However, we never got to see Kramer's often mentioned friend: Bob Saccamano

Philster
10-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Well, did Charlie, of Charlie's Angels ever make an appearance?

How about Kramer's friend, Bob Sacamono?

DonLogan
10-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Mrs Slocombe's pussy in Are You Being Served?

2nd Law
10-01-2010, 04:49 PM
On Fringe, William Bell isn't revealed to be Leonard Nimoy until the end of the second season.

etv78
10-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Newman on Seinfeld was only referenced at first, then he showed up. There was an episode early on when he was threatening suicide and you hear him. The voice is Wayne Knight's, but you didn't see him.

The orginal voice was Larry David, it was re-recorded for syndication.

Peter Morris
10-01-2010, 05:55 PM

It happened. There was also an episode where she got a job in the restaurant upstairs from Cheers. We heard her voice calling to Norm, but we didn't see her.

It's Not Rocket Surgery!
10-02-2010, 12:37 AM
In Heroes Season 1, Linderman is mentioned all season, but didn't appear (in the person of Malcolm McDowell) until Episode 18.

Peter Morris
10-02-2010, 10:06 AM
In Quantum Leap, Gooshie, Tina and Ziggy are frequently mentioned, but not seen until a later episode where Sam and Al changed places.

amanset
10-02-2010, 03:53 PM

There are a whole slew of reasons why series might be an appropriate term for British shows (their TV industry is completely different) but they don't apply to American shows.

And it's not like I ripped anyone a new one. I made a simple informative statement. If no one tells them they're using the terms 'wrong' when talking about American shows, they'll never learn. :p

Since it's off topic, that's the last I'll say on the matter in this thread, I don't want to totally derail things.

Wow. Just ... wow.

Just so I know for the future, do I have to stick to American spellings when referring to American shows as well or is it just American definitions of words?

DonLogan
10-02-2010, 04:43 PM

Wow. Just ... wow.

Just so I know for the future, do I have to stick to American spellings when referring to American shows as well or is it just American definitions of words?

It's a matter of how you were shooled.

Peter Morris
10-02-2010, 05:47 PM
shooled?

Annie-Xmas
10-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Blossom's mother Maddy Russo, finally seen as played by Melissa Manchester.

friedo
10-03-2010, 12:41 PM
William Shatner first appeared as The Big Giant Head at the end of the fourth season of "Third Rock from the Sun"

He only got that job by kissing The Big Giant Butt.

Markxxx
10-03-2010, 01:01 PM
What about Eddy's son on Absolutely Fabulous? Did he ever appear?

Did Sheridan of Keeping Up Appearances ever appear?

I know Hyacinth's sister Violet was referenced to a lot but didn't appear till the last season

Thudlow Boink
10-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Would the "little red-haired girl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Red-Haired_Girl)" from Peanuts count? She was never seen in the strip, but did appear in a couple of animated TV specials.

gaffa
10-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Carlton, your Doorman from Rhoda. Voiced by Lorenzo Music, his arm was seen and the back of his head was seen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhoda#Recurring_characters). The show he was on was a spin-off from the Mary Tyler Moore show and they attempted a third spin-off, as an animated series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlton_Your_Doorman).

descamisado
10-03-2010, 02:12 PM
shooled?As in the posh British pronounciation of "schedule."

etv78
10-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Would the "little red-haired girl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Red-Haired_Girl)" from Peanuts count? She was never seen in the strip, but did appear in a couple of animated TV specials.

<fingers in my ears> LA LA LA!! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! That NEVER HAPPENED! And her name CERTAINLY isn't Heather!

Thudlow Boink
10-03-2010, 04:02 PM

<fingers in my ears> LA LA LA!! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! That NEVER HAPPENED! And her name CERTAINLY isn't Heather!True enough. From the Wikipedia page I linked to:Schulz did not consider these animated appearances to be canonical (although he wrote the screenplay himself). Officially, she remains unseen and unnamed.And from the page (http://fivecentsplease.org/dpb/peantfaq.txt) it cites as a reference:Schulz never had full control over what happened in the TV
specials, and he made it very clear that events therein should
not be regarded as "gospel" for his newspaper strip. Thus, while
it's true the little red-haired girl popped up in the TV special "It's
Your First Kiss, Charlie Brown" (and therefore in the picture-book
adapted from that show), Schulz did not regard her as
the actual little red-haired girl...just as Charlie Brown's having
successfully place-kicked a football in another TV special
should not be regarded as a comparative truth in the strip.

No, the "actual" little red-haired girl, like the Head Beagle, or
Linus' Miss Othmar, is a character who never was drawn.
This way, we can all imagine her to be whatever we'd like...safe
in the knowledge that there is no visualization of the character
which is better, or different, than any other.

etv78
10-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Though I CAN accept the holiday themed (notable exception: New Year's Eve) specials as "canon".

NetTrekker
10-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Jenny Piccolo on Happy Days.

And Chuck Cunningham..

NetTrekker
10-03-2010, 04:51 PM

There were references/phone calls to Mary's parents...I believe they showed up for a visit sometime after the first couple of seasons.

Peter Morris
10-03-2010, 05:54 PM
I've heard that LRHG did appear in a canonical strip drawn by Schultz himself, albeit in silhouette, and non-speaking.

Peter Morris
10-03-2010, 05:55 PM
shooled?As in the posh British pronounciation of "schedule."

I'm British, and I've never heard anyone pronounce schedule as shool.

The Tooth
10-03-2010, 06:27 PM

Extremely low weight was only one of Maris's physical abnormalities though. She had multiple plastic surgeries, couldn't produce saliva, etc.

I always pictured Juliet Landau as Maris.

Loach
10-03-2010, 08:13 PM
On Fringe, William Bell isn't revealed to be Leonard Nimoy until the end of the second season.

1st season. I've only seen the 1st season and he was in the last episode.

Sampiro
10-03-2010, 08:46 PM
What about Eddy's son on Absolutely Fabulous? Did he ever appear?

He appeared in a follow-up special to the series. (5:40 in this. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=aod_fZ4P3ME)) He was basically a gay male version of Saffron- very "straight" laced and serious and living in NYC. He and Edina reunite but can't stand each other, but she absolutely adores his queeny partner and vice versa.

I don't think Sheridan was ever seen.

Annie-Xmas
10-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Friend's Ugly Naked Guy (http://friends.wikia.com/wiki/Ugly_Naked_Guy). Talked about him a lot, but he only made two appearances--once when they were poking him, and once talking to Ross.

Cugel
10-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Sir Roysten on Drop the Dead Donkey, very last ep IIRC.

CalMeacham
10-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Number One in The Prisoner, of course. Showed up (or did he?) in the very last episode.

BlinkingDuck
10-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Columbo often referred to his wife, but she was never seen until the spinoff Mrs. Columbo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs._Columbo#Spin-off), where she was played by a post-Ryan's Hope and pre-Voyager Kate Mulgrew.

Pshaw, there is no Mrs Columbo.

kaneharris
01-27-2011, 05:08 PM
On the daytime series "Dark Shadows", after the first season, virtually every main character had been mentioned for at least some time before they were seen. Sometimes for long periods of time before they were seen... Barnabus Collins, Quentin Collins, Angelique, etc.

Ludovic
01-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Snuffleupagus from Sesame Street. Now everyone can see him and not just Big Bird, so children won't have to fear that adults will think they're lying when they tell them their "secrets".

Czarcasm
01-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Number One in The Prisoner, of course. Showed up (or did he?) in the very last episode.They showed him in the very first episode-hell, they even told him who #1 was.

jayjay
01-27-2011, 07:27 PM
And Chuck Cunningham..

Chuck was the opposite of the thread's premise, actually. He appeared in the first few episodes then disappeared.

Jim's Son
01-28-2011, 08:44 AM
On the daytime series "Dark Shadows", after the first season, virtually every main character had been mentioned for at least some time before they were seen. Sometimes for long periods of time before they were seen... Barnabus Collins, Quentin Collins, Angelique, etc.

Or in the case of Dr Hoffman, they originally say "Julius Hoffman" is coming. But then series creator Dan Curtis met Grayson Hall, the actress wife of writer Sam Hall and said "You have a great face, I must cast you" as Julia Hoffman. Nobody will remember that it was originally Julius.

On "Stargate SG-1" the Furlings are mentioned but never really shown, except for the fictional; "Wormhole X-treme". But who makes a movie of a TV show cancelled after three episodes?

The "Maverick" TV show had Brett and Bart quoting Pappy, who didn't show up until episode 54 (played by James Garner).

ads95
01-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Elizabeth Bartlet, eldest daughter of President Bartlet on "The West Wing" is mentioned a number of times, beginning with the first season.

Her character does not appear until the first episode of Season 5.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: uv white paint elk liver recipes owl catches cat demolay organization iceberg name shyster def chiltons vs haynes luminescent hands british z iv names ammonia vs bleach tequila worms hydrostatic brakes remove fingerprints from paper original floor plans for my house futurama world trade center what does it mean to go steady in a relationship i feel like a little worm on a big hook does kmart sell ammunition is there epinephrine in nasal spray drano made clog worse keeping litter box in bedroom piano tune up cost garbage disposal just hums will barnes and noble buy used books