PDA

View Full Version : What is the etymology of "sis poon bah?"

Leaffan
11-08-2010, 12:56 PM
As proclaimed by Carnac the Magnificent, it is defined as the sound of an exploding sheep. Yes, I get the fact that that's a joke.

But what exactly is "sis poon bah" and how do you even spell it? I've heard the phrase before, otherwise the Carnac joke would make no sense, but I don't know what it is. Google is not helping either.

Zsofia
11-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Do you mean "sis boom bah", like what cheerleaders (supposedly) say?

Musicat
11-08-2010, 12:58 PM
I've always heard it as Sis Boom Bah. My source is Walt Kelly (Pogo).

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheering)

Telemark
11-08-2010, 01:18 PM
And the sheep would likely go "Sis, Boom, Baaaaaaaa"

cjepson
11-08-2010, 01:31 PM
I have heard that the term was originally onomatopoeia -- it is an imitation of the sounds of a fireworks display -- Sssss... BOOM! "Aaaahhh!" But a quick Google didn't verify that.

Zeldar
11-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Okay, this is for sure NOT the original source, but it is quoted herein:

Bodda getta, bodda getta, bodda getta, bah
Rah, rah, rah, Sis Boom Bah,
Weagle, weagle, war damn eagle
Kick 'em in the butt Big Blue!

Heard every Saturday at an Auburn game near you.

ETA: http://theloveliestvillage.org/profiles/blogs/boda-getta-bbq-hits-auburn-ala

Rocketeer
11-08-2010, 01:50 PM
From my mother, who went to Edwall High School in about 1942:

Fadada! Fadada!
Fadada deeten boaten boaten radda dadda boom!
Sis boom bah!
Edwall High School, rah, rah, rah!

engineer_comp_geek
11-08-2010, 01:51 PM
I always thought Johnny Carson was imitating the old standup comedians in clubs that would have the drummer from the local band play random drum hits after punchlines, but I didn't find any support for that on Google.

Instead, I found this:

The first known cheer heard from the sidelines happened during a Princeton University football game in the Late 1880s:

''Hip, hip! Rah, rah, rah! Tiger, tiger, tiger! Siss, siss, siss! Boom, boom, boom! Bah! Ah! Princeton! Princeton! Princeton!"

This yell is Princeton's longest used and most distinctive cheer. It is called the "Locomotive" cheer because it sounds like a train engine that starts slowly then picks up speed. Princeton University also established the first pep club. All-male "yell leaders" supported the Princeton football team with cheers from the sidelines. (cited:: Valliant, Doris, pg 15)

From here:
http://cheering.askdefine.com/

I don't know how accurate it is, but it does list a cite.

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
11-08-2010, 02:13 PM
I have heard that the term was originally onomatopoeia -- it is an imitation of the sounds of a fireworks display -- Sssss... BOOM! "Aaaahhh!" But a quick Google didn't verify that.This guy (http://etymonline.com/index.php?term=sis-boom-bah) agrees with it, and attests it from 1867, but unfortunately doesn't give a source.

sqweels
11-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Speaking of sheep and Johnny Carson, the answer to my favorite Carnac The Magnificent joke was:

"Sis boom bah"

"...sis boom bah..."

And the question is: "What does it sound like when a sheep explodes?"

FatBaldGuy
11-08-2010, 02:36 PM
sqweels did you by any chance read the OP?

sqweels
11-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Nevermind then.

The Hamster King
11-08-2010, 02:51 PM
But what exactly is "sis poon bah" ... ?How most people react to incest?

RealityChuck
11-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Here's what the OED has to say:

[Echoic, repr. the sound of a skyrocket: a hissing flight (sis), an explosion (boom), and an exclamation of delight from the spectators (bah, ah): see SKYROCKET 2.]

A shout expressive of support or encouragement to a college team. Hence as n., enthusiastic or partisan support of spectator sports, esp. football.

[1867: see SKY-ROCKET n. 2]. 1924 Dialect Notes V. 276 Sis-boom: ah, bah (college yells). 1961 M. BEADLE These Ruins are Inhabited (1963) iv. 48 Fresh from the land of sis-boom-bah.., the Americans had a hard time at first learning to applaud good play by either team. 1970 Time 17 Aug. 64 For the next 2 years it was girls, flasks and sis-boom-bah. But the public image concealed an all-night reader.

Leaffan
11-08-2010, 03:02 PM
See? Knowing how to spell it correctly greatly increases your chance of getting info from Google. :smack:

Thanks!

Max Torque
11-08-2010, 04:10 PM
"Bricka bracka firecracka, sis boom bah!
Bugs Bunny, Bugs Bunny, rah rah rah!"

Okay, so that one's only from 1943. I've read the same attribution as engineer_comp_geek up there, so add my concurrence.

astorian
11-09-2010, 12:11 AM
I can't offer a cite, I can only pass along a theory I've encountered: that, in a years after the American Civil War, it was widely believed that the younger generations were getting soft, since they'd never had to take part in war, which is just the thing to turn a callow youth into a man.

Football was championed as a viable substitute for war, and chants like "Sis boom bah" were supposed to imitate the sounds heard on a battle field.

Best Topics: are tissues flushable boba fett nod facebook account disappeared 96.6 temperature raid poison co2 bottle pressure cotton dye students dating teachers ezmlm warning gallium poisoning fluorocarbon breathing opposite of phallic vesper bond rboxtv legal rammstein amerika translation pizza extra sauce chinese stop sign are ethnicities capitalized king rat book strip shopping centers data's mother ebay poppy seeds sigh words travelocity gift cards best metal epoxy sae measurement bacon cost nazi cyanide natalie portman pretty anchorman intro aosept disc taxidermied person siobhan pronounciation baby powder in hair to make it white how to find out if someone is in hospital today is a good day to die quote dominos brooklyn style pizza remedy for bitten tongue ear pain outside cartilage desmond harrington before and after glue for self stick vinyl tile new york md license plate i refuse to answer on the grounds that it may incriminate me exercise after flu shot k&n filter fuel economy how to purge quietly honey this one's eating my popcorn how to get cement off your teeth how to get rid of mouse in car what does car trim mean lockable car bike rack can i use a check with my old address pounds shillings and pence to dollars and cents girls putting condoms on guys military hand signals pdf will bleach kill mosquito larvae in standing water why do i smell like pee traci lords penthouse pics futurama worlds of tomorrow pimparoo do tulips need full sun how to pronounce edinburgh hotel room for few hours a penny for your thoughts origin did abbott and costello hate each other cocktails that are not sweet can you microwave ziploc sandwich bags s morgenstern princess bride grand canyon off limits area