PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one with an old school TV?

lisalan
01-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Everyone I know has a flat screen TV. My FIL has 2 of them. I still have the big old school TV's. Now I don't mean the ones from the '80's that were made of wood and looked like a piece of furniture but the ones they were still making before the flat screens were introduced.
They still work fine and I just can't bring myself to spend money on the plasma/lcd tv's. Anyone else feel the same way?
I admit I kind of feel embarrassed when guests come over and see my TV.

Zulema
01-07-2011, 06:41 PM
One 32" and one 27".

They still work so we haven't replaced them. We were close to buying a flat screen last year but we couldn't decide which kind and now we really can't afford one. I have vision issues that would make a larger TV extra nice. We don't have HD either. The longer we wait, the cheaper they'll get.

SpoilerVirgin
01-07-2011, 06:42 PM
I have a 21" old school RCA T.V. in my bedroom from circa 2000, and a 31" 1996 old school RCA T.V. in my living room. At the time I considered the living room T.V. to be a "big screen." I will replace my big screen T.V. when it stops working, which might be soon, because it now occasionally distorts the picture, particularly when it is first turned on.

It never occurred to me to be embarassed by my T.V.s. OTOH, I wasn't exactly impressed by my brother's giant flatscreen HD T.V. that is his pride and joy. Of course, my home computer is a 1998 Compaq running Windows 2000 on dialup, so I'm not exactly cutting edge.

Erdosain
01-07-2011, 07:12 PM
I have a 31-inch CRT that I bought in 2005. It looks fine to me and only cost $150 or $200 at the time.

I also had a crappy tiny TV for the bedroom that finally crapped out on me a few months ago. I went to Best Buy to buy the cheapest television they sell. Turns out they no longer sell CRTs, only LCDs. The cheapest TV in the store was a 15-inch Dynex that ran me $150. I'm dreading the day my big TV goes kaput.

Der Trihs
01-07-2011, 07:17 PM
I still have a bulky old CRT television that I inherited from my brother when he got his big flatscreen. Since I don't watch television much if at all anymore I haven't bothered getting anything newer. In fact, I inherited my TV before that as well; I've never actually bought a new TV.

kapri
01-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Nope, you're not the only one. I have a 32" Panasonic and don't feel the need to replace it while it works. If it breaks--maybe, but I spend too much on cable anyway and most of my screen time is devoted to my laptop. I'm saving up for a cool trip--why would I spend money on a new TV when my present one works fine?

(I do love the look of HD TVs, but not enough to spend the money.)

The Hamster King
01-07-2011, 07:26 PM
The CRT TV that I won at the office Christmas party in 2002 just died. So a flat screen is in the near future for me.

Shawn1767
01-07-2011, 07:27 PM
I've got a 32" flat-screen HD CRT tv. Works fine. In my opinion, the clarity is better than my parents' plasma tv.

hajario
01-07-2011, 07:29 PM
I still have my big Sony CRT TV. It cost my $850 in the mid-90's. It still has a beautiful picture. It will be replaced this year.

DianaG
01-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Now I don't mean the ones from the '80's that were made of wood and looked like a piece of furniture
I still have one of these. It's in my daughter's room, along with a 1995ish model that sits on top of it, since she can't hook a DVD player up to the 80s one. :)

Of course, those are in her room because I finally broke down and bought a 40" LCD for the living room. No regrets there.

Rushgeekgirl
01-07-2011, 07:30 PM
We have one TV and it's an oldie. We had to get a converter for it to pick up any tv stations, but that thing went out a few months back so we just use it for the PS2. IIRC we had to get something special to hook up between the converter and the tv because it only had one of those single screw in outlet things and the converter needed the three prong kind, so I know it's got to be pretty old.

dangermom
01-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Ours is a 27" TV that dates from about 1996. My BIL bought it as a graduation present to himself, and then promptly got a job in Japan, so he gave it to us. We were newlyweds at the time, and so neither of us has ever gone out and actually bought a TV. Yeah, most of our friends have flat screens by now, but I don't care and I doubt they do.

*shrug* We'll replace it when it dies. Or not, depending on whether we can afford it!

The other day I nervously watched as my friend's little kids careered around her living room, inches from the huge flat-screen TV. I asked her if she wasn't nervous that someone would crash into it. She replied, "Sometimes I wish somebody would--it would solve a lot of my problems!"

Rushgeekgirl
01-07-2011, 07:33 PM
I have a 31-inch CRT that I bought in 2005. It looks fine to me and only cost $150 or $200 at the time.

I also had a crappy tiny TV for the bedroom that finally crapped out on me a few months ago. I went to Best Buy to buy the cheapest television they sell. Turns out they no longer sell CRTs, only LCDs. The cheapest TV in the store was a 15-inch Dynex that ran me $150. I'm dreading the day my big TV goes kaput.

I don't know if they have Goodwill or other thrift stores where you live, but here they always have several on shelves. We got ours there at least five years ago for less than twenty dollars and it's still working. We just need a new digital converter but I just don't watch TV anymore so I'm not wasting the money.

Siam Sam
01-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Everyone I know has a flat screen TV. My FIL has 2 of them. I still have the big old school TV's. Now I don't mean the ones from the '80's that were made of wood and looked like a piece of furniture but the ones they were still making before the flat screens were introduced.
They still work fine and I just can't bring myself to spend money on the plasma/lcd tv's. Anyone else feel the same way?
I admit I kind of feel embarrassed when guests come over and see my TV.

*points and laughs*

I read in the late 1990s, when we still had our Sony Trinitron, that in 10 years' time it would be an embarrassment still to have a cathode-ray set. We finally upgraded to a Bravia, but not out of embarrassment. It was because the Trinitron died after 15 years or so of use.

But I'd keep an old one like yours around for the novelty value if nothing else. Maybe it'll be worth some serious money someday.

california jobcase
01-07-2011, 07:44 PM
I just replaced my 25" CRT Magnavox tonight with a 42" flat screen. The old one still works fine. The 1988 19" Sony the Magnavox replaced still works fine, too.

I also have a 2.2" pocket TV and a 5" B&W CRT TV/radio setup.

Of all the electronics, I've never seen old televisions in antique shops or heard of them being valuable at all.

ZenBeam
01-07-2011, 08:28 PM
*points and laughs*

I read in the late 1990s, when we still had our Sony Trinitron, that in 10 years' time it would be an embarrassment still to have a cathode-ray set.We still have the 25" console CRT TV I bought in 1989, but it's in the basement. I don't think that counts. Now if it was our primary TV, then you'd have something.

Student Driver
01-07-2011, 08:44 PM
I still have a 19" CRT, bought around 1998, in my living room. It replaced another 19" that died in a lightning strike. I haven't really watched TV since then-- mostly busy with school and work-- and I use it mostly as a monitor for watching laserdiscs and DVDs, neither of which would benefit from an HD monitor. When I want to watch HD content, I load it up on my computer.

I have a few CRT televisions and monitors in storage for use with older video game systems and computers.

Harmonious Discord
01-07-2011, 08:48 PM
We have two 32" tvs and no flat screen.

enalzi
01-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I've got a 20 inch CRT that I will soon be replacing with my parents larger CRT once they get a flat screen. That'll be my third TV that I haven't paid for, so until they start giving out free flatscreens, I probably won't get one.

BigT
01-07-2011, 09:11 PM
No flat screens here, either. All of our TVs have been hand me downs, and the last monitor I bought was in 1998.

Unfortunately, that means I'm now down to my 17 inch displays that don't even have a flat screen. I have to run everything at 800x600.

Oh, and my sister's TV is also old enough that you can't hook a DVD player up to it. So she got one of those boxes so she could.

tr0psn4j
01-07-2011, 09:22 PM
We just replaced our old school TV yesterday!

PSXer
01-07-2011, 09:39 PM
wow a topic just for me

All we have are CRT TVs because the new ones are too expensive. I've got in my room two from the 80s and one from the early 2000s all around 13-15" iunno. Also I've got another one that is 13" and has a VCR built in. Also we have 2 like 20" also from the 2000s. And the best one is the 27" that is several years old. Also the 19" one I never use because there is something wrong with the picture. It is not bright enough or something. I can barely see anything if the sun is out or a light is on or something.

I wish I could get a cool new LCD or whatever the new thing is but it'll have to wait until I have more money. Also, I'm not gonna buy an HDTV until I have HD media, but I'm not gonna buy any HD media because I don't have an HDTV. I don't wanna have to re-buy my entire movie collection on Blu-Ray. I would also like to watch football in HD

kunilou
01-07-2011, 09:45 PM
I not only still have old TVs, but when my son went out and got himself one of those big-screen thingies, I snapped up his perfectly good 25" Sony and put it in the basement.

Damn fool kid, wasting his money on a new TV while the old one still works. . .

Tristan
01-07-2011, 09:48 PM
We have a 32" Sanyo (I think is the brand) the wife and I bought back in 2003. It has served us well, despite only having one Coaxial out in the back.

We may be upgrading, if not this year then probably next.

Suburban Plankton
01-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Santa just brought us a 40" LCD to replace our 27" CRT in the living room, but we still have two smaller CRTs in the bedrooms.

Santa knew we needed a bigger TV because my 43 year old eyes were getting my butt kicked in Call of Duty on the old one :)

salinqmind
01-07-2011, 09:56 PM
We have an enormous old Magnavox down in the basement that is as old as the house, over 20 years old. I really don't know how or why it still works. There's a VCR on top of it that must be engaged in order to see any shows. And it has to be physically plugged in to turn it on and unplugged when we're done watching. Other than those little details, it works fine! But if we break or lose the remote control, we will be out of luck. And if the thing finally dies, I fear it will stay down there in the basement forever, because it weighs a TON and I don't know what we'd do with it anyway. We also have a big older model TV in the living room, and a little older model TV in the kitchen. There is a smallish flatscreen TV upstairs for watching DVDs only.

Silver Fire
01-07-2011, 10:04 PM
I only replaced my CRT (a Magnavox that I would have loved forever if not for the fact that 2/3 of the RCA jacks didn't work so I had to switch the cables around when I wanted to move from DVD player to 360 and back) because my parents upgraded their flat screen with something bigger.

Fallout looks really cool on it. Other than that, I don't much care. I don't watch TV or anything. Movies sometimes and the XBox.

moejoe
01-07-2011, 10:29 PM
I still have my 19" JVC. Also we actually have one of those old old ones that's made of wood and looks like a piece of furniture, 30 years old and going strong.

thirdname
01-07-2011, 11:35 PM
I wish I could get a cool new LCD or whatever the new thing is but it'll have to wait until I have more money. Also, I'm not gonna buy an HDTV until I have HD media, but I'm not gonna buy any HD media because I don't have an HDTV. I don't wanna have to re-buy my entire movie collection on Blu-Ray. I would also like to watch football in HDDVDs look fine on an HDTV with an upscaling DVD player. But no, you don't want to watch VHS tapes on a bigscreen.

StuffLikeThatThere
01-07-2011, 11:56 PM
I have a 13" TV from, um ... 1995? It is the only TV in the house, and it is currently sitting in storage in the basement. The VHS player stopped working a couple of years ago, so we put the TV away.

PSXer
01-08-2011, 12:00 AM
why does everyone say "VHS player"

has everyone forgotten the word "VCR"

did anyone say "VHS player" back when VHS was still around

Hal Briston
01-08-2011, 12:00 AM
DVDs look fine on an HDTV with an upscaling DVD player. But no, you don't want to watch VHS tapes on a bigscreen.How about laserdiscs?

PSXer
01-08-2011, 12:47 AM
I did watch laserdiscs on the HDTV in the dorm and I was impressed. I assumed it would look bad but it was about as good as a normal TV as long as you don't look at it from really close.

heathen earthling
01-08-2011, 01:06 AM
Our only TV is an "old school" model. The best part is that we even still watch everything with the rabbit ears antenna, because we can't be bothered to have a cable bill. :)

Sunspace
01-08-2011, 01:06 AM
My friends have a 36" CRT. It's huge and very heavy. Apparently it can display some sort of HD signal. It's around 12 or 15 years old.

I have no TV. I get my video jollies from a 27" iMac.

aruvqan
01-08-2011, 04:20 AM
The bedroom TV is a 22 inch CRT type that has a DVD player with it. Normally I dont like combined appliances but it was on sale for $200, and the only TV that was anything close in size was over $400 when we were shopping. Cheap wins :D

We have it hung in the corner of the bedroom on one of those bolt to the ceiling sort of industrial TV hangers, it is out of the way and convenient. Works for me.

Colophon
01-08-2011, 04:41 AM
I don't understand why everyone rushed to "upgrade" to LCD and plasma screens that have a much worse picture than standard CRTs. (Yes, HD flatscreens nowadays do give a better picture, but I'm talking pre-HD LCDs, which frankly suck.)

Until six years ago we were still using a Sony Trinitron with a wooden cabinet that my parents got in the mid-1970s and handed down to me. When that packed up we switched to a second-hand CRT which we got for nothing from a friend who "upgraded", and then we got an LCD purely so we could have a larger screen size (the TV fits in an alcove, and the bulk of a CRT meant that we were limited by the depth rather than the width). The picture is not very good compared to a decent CRT though, and if I play the Wii on it for more than a few hours it tends to overheat and scramble the picture, making it unusable until it cools down.

I suppose eventually I'll upgrade to HD...

cochrane
01-08-2011, 04:55 AM
I have a 32" Panasonic circa 2001. It works for me. It has 2 sets of RCA inputs, so my cable box is plugged directly in it with a set of component cables instead of the coax. It also has stereo audio pass through jacks so the sound goes into a 5.1 set of home audio speakers. I also have an Xbox which I primarily use as my main DVD player and a PS3 plugged into it. I plan to keep it as long as it works with no immediate plans to go HD.

Rayne Man
01-08-2011, 05:55 AM
I don't know if they have Goodwill or other thrift stores where you live, but here they always have several on shelves. We got ours there at least five years ago for less than twenty dollars and it's still working. We just need a new digital converter but I just don't watch TV anymore so I'm not wasting the money.

I tried that with our 5-year old 28 inch JVC CRT TV. Unfortunate two charity (thrift) shops wouldn't take it because it had a black case. If it had been silver, they would have accepted it. I can't see the logic behind that at all.

scareyfaerie
01-08-2011, 06:01 AM
We have one of the bulky old ones at home too, there's nothing wrong with it and therefore no real need to replace it. My partner has a flat screen TV in his computer room upstairs but that was a sensible decision because his old TV died and he has very little space up there so a flat-screen actually makes more sense for him. Other than that, we have no need to buy a large flat-screen telly for the sake of it, the old one works just fine.

Argent Towers
01-08-2011, 06:19 AM

I want to know the answer to this too. When I was a kid and videocassettes were the only common form of video media, nobody ever said "VHS player." It was just "VCR."

When and why did this switch happen?

Manda JO
01-08-2011, 06:44 AM
I refuse to ever bring another CRT of any kind into the house. They are so damned heavy, such a nightmare to move: it has nothing to do with picture quality, and everything to do with mobility.

That said, my cheapskate heritage is showing: I was delighted when our 15 year old CRT broke a couple years ago because we finally upgraded to the flat screen. Before I read this thread, it never occurred to me that people replaced working TVs.

Drain Bead
01-08-2011, 07:29 AM

Check Woot and Newegg. You can get much better deals than that.

elmwood
01-08-2011, 07:53 AM
I swapped all the CRT televisions and monitors in the house for LCD flat screens two years ago, and never loomed back. I agree that a high-resolution CRT offers a superior display to a pre-LED LCD. However, there's the bulk factor. My 21" CRT monitor destroyed my desk by bowing the wood; I could not bow it back to level. The TVs and monitors are effortless to move, and their boxes easy to store. They're just more practical.

I bought a 32" 1080p LG flat-screen for my Dad, who's now in a nursing home. Normally a Luddite, he LOVES it, saying he never knew what he was missing.

elmwood
01-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Also, my family always called it a VCR. However, my Mom was director of operations for a large video store chain, so that was the terminology used.

lisalan
01-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Wow. Thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming. I live in Canada and I feel that the flat screen plasma/lcd TV has become a status symbol. It really has. Everyone wants the bigger better flat screen TV.
I still can't justify buying one when the old school TV I bought works perfectly fine and I paid 1100.00 dollars for it.
As I mentioned my FIL bought a flat screen TV and he had an old school TV that was working fine. He bought ANOTHER flat screen TV just because it was 46 inches and it was on sale. In my opinion this is a new cultural phenomenon that can be called "screen envy".:D
My husband jokingly asked his father if he could have the older flat screen TV and my FIL looked at him like he had gone out of his mind and responded "yeah right".

ptr2void
01-08-2011, 08:04 AM
We have a 36" JVC CRT in the bedroom which my wife watches all day every day. I was going to replace it for Xmas with a flat-screen HDTV, but feeling her out about it yielded negative results. She will not replace it primarily because it fits perfectly in the armoire in which it's situated. Also, she doesn't give a rat's ass about HD. As a geek, I am somewhat offended by this. :D

The only HDTV in my house is a big old 55" Mitsubishi projection TV which I watch from time-to-time mainly for sports.

Crafter_Man
01-08-2011, 10:13 AM
For the last 10 years our primary TV has been a 32-inch Sony CRT.

That's changing real soon, though. I am in the process of building a home theater in the basement. It's 99% finished. It will have a 103-inch screen, projector, and 7.1 sound.

Pushkin
01-08-2011, 12:07 PM
I've had a few CRT TVs because they're being literally given away. If they all disappeared, I wouldn't be able to afford a flat screen.

DMark
01-08-2011, 12:30 PM
When we remodeled the upstairs living room, our older 36" CRT TV didn't fit (by about 1" of space) so we moved it into the family room - and it weighs a ton, so it will remain there. It does have a great picture though. Plus, we bought it about 12 seconds before the flat screens became somewhat affordable.
We have a 25" CTR in the guest bedroom - bought it in 1988 and it still works great.
Have another 27" CTR in our bedroom that we inherited - again, great picture and works fine.

We did buy a new plasma television after the living room was remodeled - damn thing cost $1,500 and now you can get the same (or better) for about $450.

CES (Consumer Electronics Show) is in Las Vegas now, with all the new gizmos and gadgets and the local news is covering it daily.
The new thing?
They showed a 92" LCD flat screen, thin as a quarter, that shows films and TV shows in 3D - and it costs $6,000.
Even if I had the money, we wouldn't know where to put that monster - plus, by the time I got it home it would cost $5,000 and by the time I figured out how to work all the bells and whistles, you will be able to buy one for $900.

johnpost
01-08-2011, 12:54 PM
use it for it's functioning lifetime.

ZipperJJ
01-08-2011, 12:56 PM
I was joking with my best friend the other day about how he and I are the most financially stable people we know, and we're also the only ones without a flatscreen TV*! :)

I do really want one, but I can't justify the cost just yet. It's in my budget for this year's tax refund, tho!

I run my computer off my TV. My previous TV was a 21" CRT monitor. Then my folks got a flatscreen and I upgraded to using their 27" CRT television. Looks and works great, only my video card can only display 640x480 on it so it really sucks to try to do anything computer-y on it. I do have a digital converter box for the TV on the rare occasions I watch broadcast (football).

I agree with people who said they upgraded because of size/convenience. I used to have to help my parents any time they needed to move the TV to re-arrange their family room. Now, they do it all the time by themselves (yes, they re-arrange their family room all the time). I think having a nice light television set is awesome and I look forward to it.

*I am not saying everyone who has a flatscreen is bad with money. I don't think that at all. Just me and my friend know so many people who have bad money problems and they all have nicer televisions than us!

johnpost
01-08-2011, 12:57 PM

there were and are now devices that only play the tapes, both external and internal to a tv.

PSXer
01-08-2011, 01:14 PM
there were and are now devices that only play the tapes, both external and internal to a tv.

yeah but I don't think most people care about being that technically accurate when talking about them

I'd suspect it is something more to do with trying to make a phrase analogous to "DVD Player"

"VHS Player" works

Student Driver
01-08-2011, 04:26 PM
The use of "VCR" was itself a bit of an anomaly-- VCR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Cassette_Recording) was originally the brand name of a specific pre-VHS videocassette format (standing for the exceedingly bland "Video Cassette Recording"); I'm guessing the industry needed a handy term for the concept of a tape deck that recorded video, and the Philips coinage was a sufficiently generic name that conveyed the entire concept efficiently, but I'm surprised that informal usage didn't settle on "video deck" or "VHS deck" or something similarly derived from the world of hi-fi cassette/tape components, or settle instead on simply using "Beta" or "VHS" rather than the clunky "Beta VCR" and "VHS VCR."

I do think that manufacturers would have shunned "<videotape format> player" back in the day since the primary selling point of the cassette formats was that they could record, unlike the competing disc formats.

Jaledin
01-08-2011, 04:51 PM
I still have two CRTs, and I don't really watch much TV, and watch movies on a computer pretty much always. No cable, neither -- 1 (one) DTV box. Works fine for me, except that I have an OK stereo system and an OK mixer that is good enough for live music, but not for hi-fi sound, and it hurts my ears to hear bad (=any) sound through those crummy 1" speakers built into most CRTs, and no way to get an output for the sound except through the earphone jack for broadcast TV.

I'm with ya bro, old school all the way.

ETA: my DTV box has separate audio outs, I just don't use them.

RickJay
01-08-2011, 04:55 PM
I have a 27" Toshiba CRT in my bedroom, which I sometimes have hockey or baseball on. I can't think of a good reason to spend money to replace it. For HD stuff, I have an LCD in the living room, not that I watch it much, either.

Spud
01-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Wow, I guess I'm the odd man out. I haven't had a CRT TV in my house for several years. I've got 4 LCD TV's (ranging from 20-52 inches)... 5 if you count the one in the van.

Chicken Fingers
01-09-2011, 02:49 PM
We have old-school CRT televisions. (We also have big clunky monitors.) We seem to have an almost endless free supply available via Freecycle. I'd rather have lighter, less bulky devices, but "free" fits our budget.

MsWhich
01-09-2011, 03:16 PM
I refuse to ever bring another CRT of any kind into the house. They are so damned heavy, such a nightmare to move: it has nothing to do with picture quality, and everything to do with mobility.

That said, my cheapskate heritage is showing: I was delighted when our 15 year old CRT broke a couple years ago because we finally upgraded to the flat screen. Before I read this thread, it never occurred to me that people replaced working TVs.

Seconded. We have a CRT that was bought in 2001. It works fine, and as long as it continues to do so, we won't be replacing it, even though it is kind of a pain in the ass that it doesn't have all of the cool ports and jacks that newer flat-screens do. Also, the edges of all broadcast TV are cut off on our screen. Annoying, but not annoying enough to drop a bunch of dough on replacing a perfectly functional television set.

aceplace57
01-09-2011, 03:31 PM
I have a Sony tv I bought in 1996. Works fine and will use it as long as possible in the living room.

I bought a 17 inch flat screen for the bedroom in 2005. It's not HD and doesn't have a digital tuner. I have it mounted on the wall and use DirecTV.

FrancisCastle
01-09-2011, 04:19 PM
I have a 67" projection TV in the living room that I got custody of in my divorce. It is HUGE and takes up too much space in my tiny house. I just can't get myself to replace it because I remember how much we paid for it, and that hurts. My kids have a small TV in their room that's old but still works. In my room, I have a 32" with the built in DVD player but it's on the way out. When you turn it on the picture is distorted for a couple of minutes until it "warms up".

blondebear
01-09-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm quite happy with my 14 year old 25" Samsung. I think about getting a new set from time to time, but I always find something else to spend the money on.

bahia hombre
08-22-2011, 09:33 AM
My first TV, bought in the 80's, was a 19" color GE which served me well for a long time. I upgraded to a 27" Panasonic tube TV shortly before the 9/11 attacks and of course was glued to it that week. The increase in picture quality over the GE was amazing, mainly because of the higher contrast, I think. That's the one I still have and the (cable TV) picture still looks as good to me as a lot of the ones I see on LCD's. I like to look at the flat-panel TV's in the stores and won't miss the bulk of the CRT when it goes but I'm holding off as long as possible due to work/cashflow issues. I don't watch movies much and spend more time on the computer than surfing cable so now I'm doubting whether I'll ever get a large flat-panel.

Bri2k
08-22-2011, 10:26 AM
I've got an old 19 inch Zenith I bought 2nd hand in 1998. Goodness knows how old it is and it still works great. I won't replace it until it dies. The only flastscreen I have is my monitor.

Bri2k

blondebear
08-22-2011, 10:30 AM
I have a '96 issue 25" Samsung in the bedroom, it still works great.

AuntiePam
08-22-2011, 12:20 PM
*shrug* We'll replace it when it dies. Or not, depending on whether we can afford it!

Same here. We have two non-flat screens, bought about 8 years ago when flat screens and HDTV's were still really expensive. Both TVs were highly rated for reliability by Consumer Reports, so it might be awhile before they die. We have no interest in an HD set -- we have plain old cable TV so wouldn't get HD quality anyway.

Mk VII
08-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Still got two CRT ones here. The downstairs one has been here since '97, according to the other person in the house. It replaced the old Sony Trinitron that we got in the late '70s, which in turn replaced the old black-and-white dual standard set we got in the 1960s (we had to wait until it wore out before getting colour TV).
The upstairs one has no SCART socket, so it will be unusable when the analog signal is switched off here next year. The digital signal is so weak it's unworkable on many stations, even with a new antenna on the chimney and an amplifier. They are supposedly going to boost the strength when the old signal gets turned off.

Jaledin
08-22-2011, 04:06 PM
I have a little CRT and a bigger one (twenty inches maybe? don't know)-- and thank you for reminding me that, aside from tuning into SNL most Saturdays, I tuned in this morning for a few minutes. It made me MAD.

OT: why do those morning-show people flop their hands around and otherwise gestate while speaking? Who told them that's good, instead of just holding your hands steady and talking like a human fucking being?

Mama Zappa
08-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Our big TV is a 19-incher that I bought in 1991. Works perfectly. It was a pretty big TV, for back then! Now it's almost impossible to watch movies on because the picture is too small. I want a new big flat-screen but have other priorities for our money.

Our second TV is a 13-inch TV/VCR combo, in our bedroom. Similarly "too small", but it's paid for and we don't have time to watch much anyway.

longPath
08-23-2011, 04:41 PM
I know his is a bit of a zombie but...

I have a 1959 Philco Predicta (http://cedmagic.com/history/philco-predicta-princess.html) Princess model.

It worked the last time I tried it but as it doesn't get Milton Berle or Jack Parr, I tend to keep it for it's "Rocketship 7" look.

moi
08-23-2011, 05:32 PM
We had a maybe 32" CRT until last month when I went to turn it on and the white smoke came out. We've acknowledged this means we'll finally be upgrading to a flat screen TV...someday, when the right deal comes around. In the mean time, we've moved my very small (19"?) CRT TV from my art studio up into the living room. So, basically, I'm posting here to join your ranks...until Woot gives me the deal I want :)

Icerigger
08-23-2011, 05:34 PM
In our house we have three TVs all CRT a 26" and two 19"s.

Vita Beata
08-23-2011, 05:41 PM
We have two 32" tvs and no flat screen.

Same here.

Zeriel
08-23-2011, 05:46 PM
I got rid of my Magnavox 27" CRT two years ago when I won a 37" Sharp LCD in a raffle I didn't even know I had entered. =P

Bibliothecarius
08-24-2011, 03:21 AM
Yep. I'm old school. I have a tube TV. And a VCR (but I do have a DVD player as well). I also don't own anything that is prefixed with the letter i. And, no, my cell phone does not feature a camera, internet access or any of those other fancy whiz-bang gizmos. It makes and receives calls. That's why they call it a phone...

On the plus side, while everyone at work is listening away to their ipods and mp3 thingies, I wanna bring in a Walkman. I would be so retro cool now. :cool:

I replaced my 9 year old computer recently as it was on the verge of having a meltdown in its old age. While shopping around, I noticed you can now get flash drives that hold more gig than my old computer's entire hard drive...multiple times more. :eek:

Wake me up when we get back to the 20th century where I belong.

SciFiSam
08-24-2011, 04:44 AM
We only got rid of ours because it takes up so much space. The picture was fine, and they use a lot less energy than LCDs, and people are rushing to give them away on Freecycle.

Nava
08-24-2011, 04:56 AM
Mine is going to the recycling as soon as the recycling guys can find a spot for me in their busy calendar (seriously, the NPO which picks up "big items" for the municipality I live in has a waiting list).

I'm currently a weekend commuter and the place I like best of the ones I've seen so far had an old-style TV as well, but at least it's a smallish one, mine's an elephant.

Spain moved to "digital terrestrial signal" a couple of years ago, so now in order to watch one of those you need a second machine. And mine has two "euroconnectors" (which didn't really take hold) and the plug for the terrestrial, nothing else, so in order to connect a computer, media player, DVD, VCR, etc. you need an adaptor.

suranyi
08-24-2011, 01:13 PM
I bought a brand new Panasonic 32 inch CRT TV only a year or two before flat screens started becoming really popular. I think that was around 2004. It still has many years of life left in it, I expect.

guestchaz
08-24-2011, 01:29 PM
My monster magnavox (three strong men and a 4-wheel dolly required to move) was new in 1990 still going strong, is the wood console style. I expect to be moving soon, without the tv despite the fact that its paid for and has the best picture still, that I've ever seen on any tv.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: default communication device elvish lotr webuycomics.com reviews room intercoms baseball referee buttered pop tart quiznos weird commercial marvel directory mike military aleve period job's daughter rudolph the red nosed reindeer lyrics with extra words saturday night live asswipe difference between strategist and tactician how long is doxycycline good for what is a 5 group dual citizenship usa canada pros and cons hollywood squares questions and real answers do you need to know geometry for calculus buypass class 2 ca 1 everything wrong with starship troopers black and decker electronic mouse repeller why do people hate vapers