PDA

View Full Version : Spaghetti Sauce with Meat

barbitu8
01-08-2011, 07:12 AM
Once opened, for how long will spaghetti sauce with meat, kept in the fridge, be safe to eat?

Oly
01-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Common sense: If it looks Ok, smells Ok and hasn't been in there "too long," heat and simmer "a while," then if it tastes Ok, eat it and and you'll probably be fine. There are no hard and fast rules about these things.

Food service mantra: When in doubt, throw it out.

Made up on the spot totally arbitrary dictum: 5 days.

Take your pick.

Ruken
01-08-2011, 12:02 PM
When I make spaghetti sauce with meat I usually try to eat or freeze it before a week is up, and I think I've been ok. YMMV with the premade stuff.

barbitu8
01-08-2011, 02:26 PM
When I make spaghetti sauce with meat I usually try to eat or freeze it before a week is up, and I think I've been ok. YMMV with the premade stuff.

I buy the stuff. Too lazy to make my own. Since meat must be eaten within a day or two after being refrigerated, I try to use the sauce within two days; however, the sauce probably gives an extra time as it contains some vinegar and other acidic foods.

lisalan
01-08-2011, 02:29 PM
3-4 days maximum.

barbitu8
01-09-2011, 02:51 PM
five days (http://cbsnews.com/stories/2007/08/06/earlyshow/health/main3136152.shtml) No mention if meat would shorten that time.

Cat Whisperer
01-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Until it gets fuzzy (well, that's more-or-less the rule in my house). I put unused sauce in the freezer right away, too, though - it freezes beautifully.

ClevelandProud
01-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Man, if you have to ask, toss it out.

Nothing like a visit to the Emergency Room, having to explain why you are there and if that does not convince you, the bill will.

barbitu8
01-09-2011, 03:37 PM
My question was proactive, not reactive. Half a jar of spaghetti sauce is good for one spaghetti meal for me. Now, I'm left with half a jar. I wanted to know how long I have before I have to either use it or discard it.

salinqmind
01-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Is this like Ragu? "With Meat" means there's probably a tablespoon of hamburger mixed in there. Not that a small amount can't go bad as does a large amount. I digress. My rule has always been, use by the the fourth day. Spaghetti sauce, I wouldn't be afraid to keep it for a week, it's acidic and can last a good week. Why don't you freeze the leftover sauce? Pour it in a ziplock bag or two, seal, freeze flat.

Amblydoper
01-09-2011, 07:43 PM
My question was proactive, not reactive. Half a jar of spaghetti sauce is good for one spaghetti meal for me. Now, I'm left with half a jar. I wanted to know how long I have before I have to either use it or discard it.

It depends on a lot of variables. There is no way to know for sure. If your refrigerator sits at a balmy 53˚, you probably have one day. If it runs at a chilly 33˚, at least a week.

Honestly, I would freeze it, and not worry about he problem.

commasense
01-09-2011, 08:30 PM
These people saying a week or less are being super conservative IMHO. I've kept spaghetti sauce in the fridge for weeks and used it with no problems.

jasg
01-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Years ago roommates and I had a regular Friday night spaghetti dinner for all of our friends, never knew who would show up. We cooked a big pot of sauce, served dinner, put the pot in the fridge and used as a 'starter batch' for the next week.

At some point, we must have been serving at least some sauce that had been in the fridge for weeks if not months.

No one got sick.

I was working as a microbiologist at the time - IIRC, nothing really nasty (just ugly fuzzies) will grow at fridge temps. The key is to not let things sit out too long or keep it on a warmer for hours - that makes a nice incubator for the nasty stuff.

barbitu8
01-10-2011, 05:03 AM
I didn't know you could freeze it - or just never thought of that. That's what I'll do.

amarone
01-10-2011, 07:11 AM
Since meat must be eaten within a day or two after being refrigerated.
That's only for ground meat and poultry. Other meats are typically 3 - 5 days. Here's (http://foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/storagetimes.html) a handy chart (it doesn't include spaghetti sauce, though). I personally keep spaghettis sauce until we eat it, which means up to 2 weeks.

chaoticbear
01-10-2011, 08:46 AM
I am so not the person to ask about this, since I'll leave a half-jar of sauce in the fridge for weeks, but I also eat a lot of dumpstered food that's already expired when I get it.

RedSwinglineOne
01-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Just last night I used half a jar of 'Ragu with Meat', that was at least a month old, maybe more. It looked and smelled perfectly fine and it had spent no time at room temp since it was opened. I simmered it with frozen meatballs for 30 mins or so and have noticed no ill effects.

barbitu8
01-10-2011, 03:01 PM
I asked the Canadian Partnership for Consumer Food Safety Education since I had a link saved to it. I have taken the liberty to quote their reply in full:

Hello I have referred your question to the US Partnership for Food Safety Education.

In Canada, the Canadian Partnership for Consumer Food Safety Education recommends that leftovers such as the spaghetti sauce mentioned below [as I described] be used up within 3-4 days and during that time that it is refrigerated at 4 degrees Celsius [that's about 40 F] or lower (in shallow, covered containers).

Hope these suggestions are helpful,

Brenda Watson

CPCFSE

JKilez
01-10-2011, 03:13 PM
These people saying a week or less are being super conservative IMHO. I've kept spaghetti sauce in the fridge for weeks and used it with no problems.
Gotta agree with that. The question should be, "After how many months should I toss my sauce?"

Amblydoper
01-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Gotta agree with that. The question should be, "After how many months should I toss my sauce?"

I Disagree. So does the FDA (http://fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/RetailFoodProtection/FoodCode/FoodCode2009/ucm186451.htm#part3-5).

In addition to "How old is it?" you should ask yourself the following questions:
At what temperature is it stored at?
How many trips has it taken through the temperature danger zone?
Has it been properly heated and/or cooled during those trips?
Has it been properly stored in a non-reactive, covered container?
Is it a potentially hazardous food?

And in the case of store bought products:
Are there preservatives in it?

We cooked a big pot of sauce, served dinner, put the pot in the fridge and used as a 'starter batch' for the next week.
Remind me to NEVER eat anything cooked by jasg.

Cheshire Human
01-11-2011, 06:26 PM

I use this rule, too, but one thing you have to keep in mind is that if you don't toss your sauce when you should have, you will be "tossing your sauce" in a different, and more unpleasant sense.

:D

Redfishhunter930
01-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Tomato sauce and tomato products will last along time in the refrigerator.depending on the most part on the temperature it's been stored at and how it was stored. Common sense will tell you it will last along time just by asking yourself how old is that ketchup in the refrigerator and how long has it been in there. Both items are essentially the same thing. The meat being the only difference which was fully cooked when it was added to the Tom sauce before it was canned or jarred at the factory. After cooking the first time if the remaining sauce was cooled quickly and brought to a temperature under 40f and stored at temperature 33-34 I would have no problems heating the same product back up to 140f and eating it with pasta 10days later.

Cugel
01-11-2011, 11:23 PM

Ditto. Half a can used upon opening, the other half a week later. Been doing this for some time, seemingly no ill effects. It actually hadn't occurred to me that it would go off.

Mama Zappa
01-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Once opened, for how long will spaghetti sauce with meat, kept in the fridge, be safe to eat?
Hmmmm - I assume you mean the jarred stuff vs. homemade.

For homemade, I have personal experience: eating on the 6th day (as in, made on Sunday, eating it on Friday) has caused a dose of the trots the next day. Not a severe one, but both my spouse and I had the same effect.

For jarred: no clue.

Elendil's Heir
01-12-2011, 09:32 AM

Seconded. But when in doubt, due to smell, taste or actual observable moss growth, pitch it.

billfish678
01-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Seconded. But when in doubt, due to smell, taste or actual observable moss growth, pitch it.

Thats my rule too. Unless you are soo poor throw out a bit of food here and there will make you actually go hungry, the risks just aint worth it. And even if you ARE that poor, its still better to better manage your food production/consumption than to keep things too long so you can eat them later.

Another thing to consider. IIRC, at least some types of food poisoning has nothing to do with the food being sterile or not when you eat it. If it has some bad buggies growing in it they produce toxins. You boiling it for a bit before you eat it may kill the bad buggies, but the toxins that make you sick will still be there.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: hemans tigers name sattelite feed 13.1 stickers aggie values little lambsy divey 194 db faint praise 1980s satellite dish natured alcohol calamari pronunciation south park retard camp dfw airport cell phone lot greenville in every state how to speed up peristalsis why do some people capitalize every word let's make it happen captain what happens if you can't pay your bill at a restaurant what is a lick in music what is trusted credentials should i change rotors with pads why do chefs wear tall hats how to hold a package at usps