PDA

View Full Version : what is the red "pi" symbol at the 101 airborne mean?

driveinguy
03-27-2011, 11:43 PM
There is a red "pi" symbol in the hangers of the 101 Airborne next to the flag, what does that mean or what does it stand for?

Johnny L.A.
03-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Roomie sounds like she's sleeping. (She was in the 101st.) Otherwise I'd ask her.

Do you have a picture of it? Also, is a 'hanger' something hanging from the flag? Something from which the flag hangs? Or do you mean 'hangars'?

driveinguy
03-27-2011, 11:52 PM
My bad, yes airplane hangars, sorry no pic, I saw it on the TV show Coming Home.

Johnny L.A.
03-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Ah. I don't think she'd be able to tell me without a photo. (I'd have to email her a picture so she can see it when she wakes up.)

Johnny L.A.
03-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Roomie woke up. She said she never saw a pi in the hangars. She flew in the Gulf War and has been out since 1991, and the pi may be a recent thing.

Sorry.

Elendil's Heir
03-28-2011, 12:11 AM
I don't see any such symbol here: http://google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1029&bih=691&q=101st+airborne+flag&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=

Rhythmdvl
03-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Roomie woke up. She said she never saw a pi in the hangars. She flew in the Gulf War and has been out since 1991, and the pi may be a recent thing.

Sorry.

Weebl and Bob didn't start until about 2002, so she had no idea she was supposed to bring pi.

opossum
03-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Could it be a Rakkasan, the symbol of the 187th Infantry Regiment (a component of the 101st Airborne Division)?

It's the symbol in the middle of this (black and white) picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rakkasans_OIF_VI_07-08.jpg

It's purportedly the japanese character for "man jumping under umbrella."

opossum
03-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Missed the edit window -- here's a better picture:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/535164/hangar.jpg

Also, it's Rakkasan (the word) that means "Falling umbrella man" or something like that, the symbol is a tori, or some kind of Japanese gate. The Regiment occupied Japan after WWII, and adopted the nickname and the symbol then.

Kevbo
03-28-2011, 12:34 PM
They came back. (brought pi)

Bear_Nenno
03-28-2011, 01:56 PM
It's a "Tori". Every brigade in the 101st Division has a different symbol to represent them. Scroll toward the middle of this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/101st_Airborne_Division to see the other symbols for other brigades. A spade for Currahee, a club for Bastogne, and a tori for Rakkasans.

Bear_Nenno
03-28-2011, 02:01 PM

Sorry.Obviously it isn't a pi symbol, but it is so similar to it, and so extremely prevalent in the 101st Division, I am surprised that "Tori" wasn't her immediate response.

Apollyon
03-28-2011, 07:42 PM
A spade for Currahee...Ahh... which is what the 506th PIR guys have on their helmets in Band of Brothers. Cool.

anson2995
03-28-2011, 08:07 PM
It's the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, which is part of the 101 Airborne. (Note the text "3BCT" in the photo opossum linked to.)

zoid
03-28-2011, 08:20 PM
They came back. (brought pi)

Win

Johnny L.A.
03-28-2011, 09:43 PM
It's a "Tori".

Had I seen a picture of it, I would have identified it myself immediately. When I was a kid I was obsessed with drawing Toriis.

She was a pilot, so it might not have applied to her.

Bear_Nenno
03-29-2011, 04:51 PM
She was a pilot, so it might not have applied to her.
The thing about Rakkasans is that while deployed overseas, they carry around Tori stencils wherever they go, leaving a path of hastily spray painted Tori graffiti behind them. Walls, equipment, recreation rooms, phone/computer labs, even the porta potties. Toris, Toris, Toris! So it's become a pretty recognizable symbol to soldiers even outside of the 101st.

But this likely wasn't the case 20 years ago in Desert Storm. Most likely they were either more humble back then, or they just didn't have the time to pack their paint and stencils.

Best Topics: visine ingest kings piano can birds fart 55 17 glasses neener neener origin lr44 ag13 battery rainbow bread 90s desmond dekker israelites plastic refrigerator french mimes double blinking expired sugar baby roach image holding a duck motorcycle vs bicycle jaguar etymology dicks peeing surveying accuracy lesbians use strapons plural of clitoris entry level sailboat define vixin guitar licks definition travelocity flight confirmation crime scene chalk drawstring sheets fire hardening wood yosemite meaning captain basketball pirates and parrots infini budget trimps strategy latin toast harry potter and the sorcerer's stone title should i tip the safelite guy 1950s jeans rolled up there was a girl from nantucket what is a proximity sensor on a phone dan wheeler qvc wife sick no water coming out of any faucets will sulfuric acid dissolve plastic jailhouse rock lyrics meaning printer in error state windows 8 do presidents work on weekends buster brown shoes logo hangover for 3 days why do people capitalize every word how to euthanize a fish without clove oil why are couches so expensive amazon usps tracking number doesn't work make your own gasoline laid on the bed pee smells like food i've eaten 20 gauge shotgun walmart swtor password reset no email the man show kid sells beer bugs in kraft macaroni and cheese how much to fix a ding in a car door different brand tires on front and back how to get gas smell out of clothes washer person covering their mouth how good is imax 3d does ammonia kill fleas delaware pc license plate sony dvp sr370 region free why did frank burns leave mash how many holes do women have trump whiny little bitch