PDA

View Full Version : Bikini Waxing vs. Epilator (for those who have experienced both)

emBee
04-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Here's the deal. I'm a guy. I've been removing my pubic hair for a while (10 years). I do it because I like how it feels, I like how it looks, and I think it prevents odors after a long day -- though I've read arguments either way. If you think there's something weird/wrong/abnormal about it, I don't particularly care. I shaved for a while and I recently tried waxing for a few months. When I waxed I made sure I followed the directions, but I still ended up with ingrown hairs and bumps. I had 5 or so ingrown hairs per waxing, and a lot of hairs that had trouble breaking the surface of the skin (20 or 30) that I needed to help out with tweezers. I applied Tend-Skin and I exfoliated daily. The ingrown hairs usually took about 3 weeks to be able to get out with tweezers and left a red spot for another week, and a dark blemish on the skin for another three weeks or so. Not cool. I want something longer-lasting than waxing, but with fewer ingrown hairs.

I have light-ish skin with thick, dark hair. The hair is normally pretty dense, but since I waxed for a while, it's a bit sparser than normal. I'd say that now it's average density.

Judging from the length of most of the problem hairs, I think the problem hairs were broken instead of pulled out. I'm thinking of buying a rotary epilator in the hopes that it will result in fewer broken hairs, fewer red bumps, and fewer ingrown hairs.

So, here's my question for ladies and gentlemen who have removed their pubic hair both via waxing and epilation for more than a few uses: Does epilation result in fewer broken hairs / bumps / ingrown hairs than waxing?

samclem
04-04-2011, 08:15 PM
While there will be many factual answers, many will be personal opinions and experiences. Therefore, this is better suited to IMHO. Moved from GQ.

samclem Moderator.

elfkin477
04-04-2011, 08:45 PM
I haven't waxed, but ingrown hairs are the biggest problem I've had with epilators, so I'm going to guess the answer is no.

Gestalt
04-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Are you talking about the battery/electricity-powered epilators? I used one of those a few times and it was absurdly painful and bloody. Also I had a lot of broken hair, as I think the thing just grabs hair and pulls, so if it doesn't get a grip far enough down the shaft it's likely to just break the hair off.

I think waxing is they way to go.

Electric Warrior
04-04-2011, 09:03 PM
I don't have personal experience, so I'm just going by hearsay, but I think in general home waxing < professional waxing. So probably put down the extra cash to have it done by an expert.

Bad News Baboon
04-04-2011, 11:24 PM
I haven't waxed, but ingrown hairs are the biggest problem I've had with epilators, so I'm going to guess the answer is no.

This. I don't mind using the epilator but stopped because of the ingrown hairs.

elfkin477
04-04-2011, 11:37 PM
This. I don't mind using the epilator but stopped because of the ingrown hairs.I never had any shaving, and I've read that's because shaving is pretty exfoliating, so I'm thinking of shaving every week or two for a while to see if that helps.

wheresmymind
04-05-2011, 02:07 AM
I don't have personal experience, so I'm just going by hearsay, but I think in general home waxing < professional waxing. So probably put down the extra cash to have it done by an expert.

Seconded, although it was surprisingly hard to find a place around me that did men, and none of them would even consider going close to the scrotum (not sure if that's what you're looking for). I imagine this would be easier if you live near a city. If they do a good job, you might even be able to eventually get away with alternating professional/at home treatments.

emBee
04-05-2011, 10:15 PM
I agree that professional waxing would probably have better results than at-home waxing, but I don't have an extra $75-$100 a month to drop on it.

Are you talking about the battery/electricity-powered epilators? I used one of those a few times and it was absurdly painful and bloody. Also I had a lot of broken hair, as I think the thing just grabs hair and pulls, so if it doesn't get a grip far enough down the shaft it's likely to just break the hair off.

I think waxing is they way to go.

I've had pretty good experiences with the actual waxing process, just not the regrowth. It wasn't too painful (I took some advil beforehand) and only once did I see a tiny bit of blood. Apparently some people have hair that doesn't come out easily (and the first time is definitely the worst).

Is there anyone who has waxed and used an epilator?

Markxxx
04-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Some people are just prone to ingrown hairs. In other words you will get them and can only minimize the amount, not stop them all together.

Have you ever tried sugaring. This can give you good results and it's less painful than waxing but the catch is sugaring only removes the longer hairs. Since your hair is constantly growing you may not get the "clean" results of waxing, which achieves this by taking off the hair and a bit of skin too.

Still it's cheap and you can make a batch for only about $2.00 of ingredients.

Bad News Baboon
04-06-2011, 01:27 AM
I have waxed and done the Epilady.
Waxing at the salon is better than home. For me, it's impossible to get the right angle to pull the cloth. The salon is great but my results don't last long enough to make it worth it.

I tried the Epilady and I got ingrown hairs.

In the end, shaving is quicker and cheaper.

Shecky
04-06-2011, 07:33 AM
You'll still get that problem. The ex had your issue, and when she Epiladied the cratchal areas, she still got the bumps and ingrowns, it just took longer to grow back. Her waxing the same area resulted in minor, if any, ingrowns and bumps.

Adam444
05-30-2011, 05:42 AM
It is a good feel not to have hair in public areas but why donít you get it removed from a professional. Search in the internet and find professional beauticians who follow advanced waxing methods. Give your skin a clean and silky look.

Best Topics: socks spanish joke songs lalala airplane movie rating define dinger disappointment rooms twiddle her twanger madtv vs snl usaa dividend 2015 urban dictionary rimshot a fortnight are space heaters safe to leave on all night why do cats lick when you scratch above their tail buy airline tickets for someone else craigslist dfw free pets usps tracking says item delivered but it wasn't what cookware do chefs use how to grease ball joint how to wash a dry clean only comforter at home what does the question have you ever been bonded mean should i subscribe to the economist how many sunken ships are in the ocean