PDA

View Full Version : Classical Music ID

The Hamster King
07-24-2011, 12:52 PM
I have it stuck in my head, but I can't remember what it's from. It sounds like the end of a big Russian orchestral piece. It's a bit like the end of The Great Gate of Kiev, but it's NOT the same theme.

It consists of the same phrase repeated three or more times, each time with different orchestration and becoming grander:

Dum-dum-dum ... da-dum-duh ... dum-dum-dum ... da-duh
Bum-bum-bum ... ba-bum-buh ... bum-bum-bum ... ba-buh
DUM-DUM-DUM ... DA-DUM-DUH ... DUM-DUM-DUM ... DA-DUH!

Then it turns into drawn out rising bit: daaaaahhh ... Daaaaahhh ... DAAAAAAAH.

There are bells in there too.

Ideas?

Art Rock
07-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Try Rachmaninov - The bells?

panache45
07-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Does it include vocal, or is it entirely instrumental?

The Hamster King
07-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Does it include vocal, or is it entirely instrumental?The part I have stuck in my head is entirely instrumental.

I haven't had time today to listen through The Bells to see if that's it, but its choral nature makes me dubious.

raspberry hunter
07-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Maybe Shostakovich's Symphony #7 (Leningrad)? The first movement has a theme that repeats a bazillion times, starting with a single instrument and adding more in. The theme doesn't quite seem to fit your rhythmic structure, though, so I'm doubtful.

antonio107
07-25-2011, 12:58 PM
I have it stuck in my head, but I can't remember what it's from. It sounds like the end of a big Russian orchestral piece. It's a bit like the end of The Great Gate of Kiev, but it's NOT the same theme.

It consists of the same phrase repeated three or more times, each time with different orchestration and becoming grander:

Dum-dum-dum ... da-dum-duh ... dum-dum-dum ... da-duh
Bum-bum-bum ... ba-bum-buh ... bum-bum-bum ... ba-buh
DUM-DUM-DUM ... DA-DUM-DUH ... DUM-DUM-DUM ... DA-DUH!

Then it turns into drawn out rising bit: daaaaahhh ... Daaaaahhh ... DAAAAAAAH.

There are bells in there too.

Ideas?

The first thing that came to mind was one of the themes from the 1812 overture by Tchaikovsky. But assuming you're an American I figured you'd already know that note for note...

ETA: You wanna whistle it into a mic? That would help so much with this!

rowrrbazzle
07-25-2011, 11:50 PM
If you can tell whether a note rises or falls relative to the previous note, Try http://musipedia.org/melodic_contour.html.

BDoors
07-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Any news? These kind of threads always nag at me.

antonio107
07-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Any news? These kind of threads always nag at me.

Ditto. Dums and Bums especially. The first part could either be the 1812, or Beethoven's Egmont overture. :p

The Hamster King
07-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Any news? These kind of threads always nag at me.Sorry, ive been slammed at work this week and haven't had time to follow up on listening through the suggestions.

Pitchmeister
07-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Are you maybe talking about the theme to 2001: A Space Odyssey (http://youtube.com/watch?v=cWnmCu3U09w), or as it's known to some people, Also sprach Zarathustra?

Le Ministre de l'au-delà
07-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Shostakovitch Symphony #5, 4th movement (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ogJFXqYEYd8#t=7m40)? No bells, though - perhaps you heard an arrangement...

bodde
12-04-2013, 01:12 AM
Beethoven's Symphony No. 7 - Allegretto

I don't know really, just a guess.

antonio107
12-07-2013, 06:42 PM
It's two years later and I'm standing by 1812 overture. :p

Trinopus
12-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Maybe the 1712 Overture? (http://youtube.com/watch?v=6ICY8a9Qyt8)

KarlGauss
12-07-2013, 09:11 PM
I compliment the OP'er 2 years later for what was a terrific 'verbal' description of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.

ETA: bodde: How did you find this? You registered just to respond to this one question?

Yayitsme
12-13-2017, 06:16 PM
Check out In the hall of the mountain king by Edvard Grieg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2s-Kz8S4dYw&sns=tw

Best Topics: vietnamese basket job credit access line toilets without tanks place of birth 22lr lethality shemale quiz phil swift wiki cetaphil tattoo airplane boobs homage pronounce wizard vs sorcerer sad looking puppy vcr new androgyny lady gaga heroin spoon clinton quarter 2 dimensional creatures cocaine slang spanish bernie sanders pin realm divide iud expulsion symptoms battery headlights drano in shower 2 quid old fashioned blankets yamamoto quotes scrp dental mash frank 100 korean coin sandman loki female jock strap ammonia towels baseball neighbor mowing over property line things to do in the suburbs why would i receive certified mail which president couldn't tell a lie bobby hill i'll tell you when i've had enough rite aid prescription refill policy sum of all fears tom clancy commentary drum beat after a joke middle names for ophelia we are all living in america ibuprofen 800 mg for tooth pain rpm going up and down while idle car battery dead after sitting 2 weeks how many syllables in favorite how to cause pain without damage toyota camry cd player won't eject i keep getting someone else's mail how many miles should a clutch last how long do people stay drunk mills fleet farm logo misspelled name on check mst3k stranded in space when is mail postmarked can a 20 year old drive a rental car cost of a honey baked ham rainbow vacuum pyramid scheme total number of paths in a directed acyclic graph solve 2x2+2Ă·2= 2001 ford explorer transmission dipstick location thumbnail different from image 4chan convert analog scanner to digital can a hospital hold you against your will how to lift garage door with broken spring