PDA

View Full Version : Remote for car died--do I need to go to the dealer?

shellofmyformerself
01-21-2012, 11:16 AM
The "clicker" for my car died (it unlocks the doors, pops the trunk and has a panic button, also, I think it's part of the security system too?). I'm sure it's the battery because the car is a 2006 model. Do I need to go to the dealer to have the battery replaced?

Bear_Nenno
01-21-2012, 11:25 AM
The batteries are sold at Wal-Mart and pretty much any automotive store.

postcards
01-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Agreed. It probably just takes a button cell.

picunurse
01-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Ours is a 2000. It takes a button battery. If it's like ours, you use a coin to pop the case open. You'll have to reset it after. On ours you stand near the car, then press and hold lock and unlock until the horn beeps.
Do you still have your owner's manual? It will have instructions.

Alley Dweller
01-21-2012, 03:47 PM
You can replace it yourself, but if you have a Batteries Plus (http://batteriesplus.com/t-storeloc.aspx)store near you, just take it over there and they will sell you a new battery and put it in your remote for you. It's a couple bucks more than Walmart, but a fraction of the price the car dealer charges.

drachillix
01-21-2012, 03:57 PM
You can replace it yourself, but if you have a Batteries Plus (http://batteriesplus.com/t-storeloc.aspx)store near you, just take it over there and they will sell you a new battery and put it in your remote for you. It's a couple bucks more than Walmart, but a fraction of the price the car dealer charges.

IME, (honda ridgeline) I had to go to the dealer as they keys are encoded to a vehicle so just a copy of the key does not get you what you need. I even tried downloading instructions on how to program my own key fob and still got nowhere....took the dealer 15 min.

Hail Ants
01-21-2012, 04:04 PM
You won't need to resync it with the car if you just replace the remote's battery. Also, unless money is not a concern, do NOT take it to your dealer to even replace the battery. Some dealerships are honest, but some aren't and they may at least charge way too much for the battery and at worst charge you $40 or more for resetting the keyless system (which like I said it won't need).

BTW the only time you need to resync it is if you buy a new remote. Even replacing the car's battery won't (usually) require this.

Alley Dweller
01-21-2012, 04:05 PM
IME, (honda ridgeline) I had to go to the dealer as they keys are encoded to a vehicle so just a copy of the key does not get you what you need. I even tried downloading instructions on how to program my own key fob and still got nowhere....took the dealer 15 min. Can you clarify please: Did you go to the dealer because you needed the battery on your old key replaced or because you wanted to get a new key?

shellofmyformerself
01-21-2012, 04:12 PM
IME, (honda ridgeline) I had to go to the dealer as they keys are encoded to a vehicle so just a copy of the key does not get you what you need. I even tried downloading instructions on how to program my own key fob and still got nowhere....took the dealer 15 min.

That's what I was wondering about...some special code thingy...I have an Accord (which I hate for many reasons, this just being one of them)

Xema
01-21-2012, 04:19 PM
I've several times opened a remote, noted the battery type, then bought & installed a fresh battery. This has yielded 100% success at an average cost around $1.50. I've been blissfully naive about any need to visit the dealer or "re-sync" anything.

picunurse
01-21-2012, 05:37 PM
I've several times opened a remote, noted the battery type, then bought & installed a fresh battery. This has yielded 100% success at an average cost around $1.50. I've been blissfully naive about any need to visit the dealer or "re-sync" anything.

Mine is an old chevy product, more steps. :rolleyes:

Rick
01-21-2012, 05:58 PM
You won't need to resync it with the car if you just replace the remote's battery. Also, unless money is not a concern, do NOT take it to your dealer to even replace the battery. Some dealerships are honest, but some aren't and they may at least charge way too much for the battery and at worst charge you $40 or more for resetting the keyless system (which like I said it won't need).

BTW the only time you need to resync it is if you buy a new remote. Even replacing the car's battery won't (usually) require this.Service manager at a car dealer here. We get $2.50-$3.00 for a remote battery.
The last time I had to buy a button battery for something from Radio Shack it was $5.95.
Tell me again how I am ripping people off, I keep getting confused. :confused:

drachillix
01-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Can you clarify please: Did you go to the dealer because you needed the battery on your old key replaced or because you wanted to get a new key?

replaced key, tried battery first myself, wouldnt work, got a new key cut, tried to reprogram via provided instructions, failed, took to dealer, handled.

Hail Ants
01-23-2012, 06:52 AM
Service manager at a car dealer here. We get $2.50-$3.00 for a remote battery.
The last time I had to buy a button battery for something from Radio Shack it was $5.95.

I said some (like yours) are honest. I've fixed my own and friends/family cars my whole life and have found that new car dealerships can vary wildly! Recently my sister bought a headlight plug for a 2001 Subaru. It was not OEM just generic but they charged $30 for it. Exact same one was $5 at AutoZone.

samclem
01-23-2012, 06:53 PM
I said some (like yours) are honest. I've fixed my own and friends/family cars my whole life and have found that new car dealerships can vary wildly! Recently my sister bought a headlight plug for a 2001 Subaru. It was not OEM just generic but they charged $30 for it. Exact same one was $5 at AutoZone.

But they installed it for her, right?

Hail Ants
01-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Nope, $30 for just the part. A standard three prong headlight plug with three wires with just bare stripped ends (had to crimp, not plug into the harness!)

Some new car dealerships, I'd like to say most, have been very decent all around. But I've also heard horror stories especially regarding the service departments. Consequently unless you're getting warranty work or have dealt with them before I never recommend them as a first choice.

handsomeharry
01-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Service manager at a car dealer here. We get $2.50-$3.00 for a remote battery.

I think it's totally unfair for you to bring up Radio Shack--they're an outlier!

;)

hh

Mama Zappa
01-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Since the OP has been answered (and in our experience as well, the battery can easily be changed at home):

What about a car where the remote is built into the key vs. being on a separate fob?

And: is it possible to get extra keys made for such cars without paying the dealer hundreds of dollars? Ours literally wanted 300 for the "main" key, or 200 for the "valet" key (no remote, doesn't unlock the glove box).

moveover
01-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Since the OP has been answered (and in our experience as well, the battery can easily be changed at home):

What about a car where the remote is built into the key vs. being on a separate fob?

And: is it possible to get extra keys made for such cars without paying the dealer hundreds of dollars? Ours literally wanted 300 for the "main" key, or 200 for the "valet" key (no remote, doesn't unlock the glove box).

Aaah, but did the $300 include installation?
i.e. placing the key into the ignition.

Best Topics: mymilesaway credit card mcclain stevenson exorcist salary visine diarrhea strobe candle whoville song mio drink mixer jarred olives biff name mac address xfinity neck shaping snorting water ronin deniro ups incorrect address counterfeit chips corporate hell flightplan movie spoiler nigerien pronunciation 2 bachelors degrees baile atha cliath overtime taxes velocity movie asshole neighbors medieval pitchfork plugged ears ringing wayne newton voice josie over what is tolo technical services epic box of cigarettes batteries hot what can you do with old stuffed animals drive 1 2 3 automatic how to survive a landmine 190 cc equals how much horsepower what can sulfuric acid burn through the patriot historical accuracy and inaccuracy how to blow your brains out american gifts for german friends cook fish over fire why can't i swim convert shower to tub shower combo how to tell the difference between oak and pine is the declaration of independence law us route vs interstate what does man alive mean lyric sweet baby james who does target use for shipping steve young pass to himself post office kissing game estes rocket engines not igniting how many stop signs are in the united states how to vent a range hood on an interior wall is there a 25 dollar bill toss your salad origin how do i add a font to photoshop knights of columbus 2nd degree ceremony script rh factor dominant or recessive does bars stop leak work carbon monoxide alarm testing how to drill tempered glass how long should you wait to take medication after drinking alcohol mower pull cord won't pull blood pressure 220 140 does green and yellow make blue what is the usb port on my cable box for how to measure rainfall with a bucket restaurant quality stainless steel cookware can a man take midol for back pain