PDA

View Full Version : I cannot get rid of this one tonsil stone (TMI)

Anaamika
03-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Seriously, it's making me crazy. It's huge and I have a tiny mouth. It's on the right side of my tonsils, half behind a fold of skin.

I've tried using a long swab myself and having my SO do it, tried gargling, tried all of the Internet remedies. One of the problems is the aforementioned tiny mouth. Plus I can't sem to control my tongue - even with a tongue depressor it won't hold still. It is completely unconscious movements. I try so hard to hold it steady but every time it moves again.

Because of the way my mouth is set up I believe even when it gets a little loose my tongue pushes it back into place. It is GROSS and bothers me every time I swallow. I am at my wit's end. HELP!

twickster
03-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Moved from MPSIMS to IMHO, our forum for medical advice and anecdotes.

manila
03-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Moved from MPSIMS to IMHO, our forum for medical advice and anecdotes.

Wow! you could even have moved that to Hustler's reader's letters!

Sorry for you discomfort though Anaamika

corkboard
03-21-2012, 12:41 PM
I don't have tonsil stones, mainly because I don't have tonsils, but having your SO help you expurgate one seems like one of those things only the most intimate of couples can do.

But I have to say, reading the OP got me strangely aroused.

Rachellelogram
03-21-2012, 12:57 PM
That's oogy, I've read about them. I wonder what causes some people to get them all the time while others never do.

I would imagine a dox-in-the-box could take care of it pretty quickly.

Meyer6
03-21-2012, 01:00 PM
This is gross, but I've had the same problem before and have had luck with using something with a bend in it rather than a straight swab. I have a long, flat metal thing that I bent a little so that there's little hook right at the end but unfortunatetly I don't know what it was originally for so that's not too helpful. However I'm sure you could rig something up - perhaps a bent paperclip? Stick it into the pocket (carefully) and pull forward a little bit, opening the pocket up more. Often that will make the stone just pop right out.

Anaamika
03-21-2012, 01:36 PM
I don't have tonsil stones, mainly because I don't have tonsils, but having your SO help you expurgate one seems like one of those things only the most intimate of couples can do.

But I have to say, reading the OP got me strangely aroused.

:eek:

My SO and I have been together for fifteen years and nothing fazes him. It's kind of amazing, actually - he cleans up the mess if the toilet ever overflows, he took care of the dead, rotting groundhog in the backyard for me, he does all that kind of gross stuff. A mere tonsil stone doesn't bother him at all. Actually only one bodily function bothers him - me putting in my nose ring. :D

No way am I sticking a paperclip back there (what if I swallow it?) But I will try the bent item idea; it might be easier.

Doctor? Should I go to my doctor? I mean, I have insurance, it just never occured to me to go for THIS reason! Maybe he could help me. Maybe there's a way to plug them up permanently.

AARGH!

perfectparanoia
03-21-2012, 01:37 PM
I find that gargling and swallowing REALLY hard can loosen them up.

Otherwise, I just live with it until it grows large enough to move itself out.

GrandWino
03-21-2012, 01:50 PM
I can usually loosen them by messing w/ the pressure in the back of my throat with "sucking" movements, but don't know if that would work for you or even how to explain it any better than that.

awldune
03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
What technique have you been trying?

I have the most luck tensing up my throat muscles and then just pressing near the stone with my fingertip. Tensing the throat is a crucial factor in getting the stones out. It works better for some crypts than others.

You might also try going to a pharmacy and getting one of those plastic "monoject" syringes:
http://kitkraft.biz/files/images/adhesives/monoject.jpg

Should be very cheap or possibly free. You can try squirting the stone with water or using suction to pull the stone out (if sufficiently erupted.)

Lancia
03-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Buy a brand-new soft-bristled toothbrush and a razor blade. Starting at the handle end, cut off the bristles flush with the toothbrush head until you have a little tuft of bristles at the end about the size of a pencil eraser. Use that to get behind the tonsils and pop out the stone. Works for me. Just make sure you cut the bristles flush with the head, otherwise it'll hurt like hell.

Heart of Dorkness
03-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Doctor? Should I go to my doctor? I mean, I have insurance, it just never occured to me to go for THIS reason! Maybe he could help me. Maybe there's a way to plug them up permanently.

AARGH!

That's what I'd recommend. I get little ones from time to time, but not too often, and I can always get them out easily myself. But if yours are large, frequent, and/or difficult to remove, it certainly couldn't hurt to see your doc. He should have no trouble removing it.

That said, as far as dealing with the issue long-term, I don't think they mess around with plugging up the pockets; the only treatment I've ever heard of is a tonsillectomy. But that's 100% effective!

Noelq
03-21-2012, 02:10 PM
1. Get a really, really thick milkshake, and a straw. Suck until you're down halfway in the milkshake. That might loosen it.

2. Waterpik aimed at it.

3. About 20 years ago, I got my wisdom teeth out. They gave me a squirty-syringe-thingy to clean out the holes. Since that time, I've used it to clean out the pits in my throat when they get caught like that.

4. For the really, really bad ones, I force myself to eat overly-spicy foods. It gets the mucous going, drains my sinuses, and seems to make the holes get bigger.

SmellMyWort
03-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Pointy nail file.

Leaffan
03-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Jesus Christ. I just had to Google what the hell that thing is. I've never heard of them before, thank God!

zoid
03-21-2012, 02:52 PM
1. Get a really, really thick milkshake, and a straw. Suck until you're down halfway in the milkshake. That might loosen it.

2. Waterpik aimed at it.
3. About 20 years ago, I got my wisdom teeth out. They gave me a squirty-syringe-thingy to clean out the holes. Since that time, I've used it to clean out the pits in my throat when they get caught like that.

4. For the really, really bad ones, I force myself to eat overly-spicy foods. It gets the mucous going, drains my sinuses, and seems to make the holes get bigger.

This works for me quite well.

Dorjän
03-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Another vote for Waterpik!

Qadgop the Mercotan
03-21-2012, 06:00 PM
I've removed a few in the office from patients' throats over the years. If it's really swollen, I'll paint a little astringent on the tonsil to shrink it, then pop it out.

So that's a vote for seeing your doc, unless you've someone who's really confident about doing home excision.

Antigen
03-21-2012, 06:28 PM
You might also try going to a pharmacy and getting one of those plastic "monoject" syringes:
http://kitkraft.biz/files/images/adhesives/monoject.jpg

Should be very cheap or possibly free. You can try squirting the stone with water or using suction to pull the stone out (if sufficiently erupted.)

This works well for my more resistant stones, and it's much cheaper than a Waterpik.

phouka
03-21-2012, 07:12 PM
All my suggestions have already been covered. I just wanted to share my sympathies. I used to get tonsiloliths until I got my tonsils out. Totally worth it.

Mama Zappa
03-22-2012, 09:16 AM

I doubt I'd go just for this but if you're there for some other reason, couldn't hurt to ask. I was once visiting an ENT for recurrent sore throats, and one of the things he kept trying to do was express tonsil stones using a large swab. My hand kept pushing his away, with my volition - I truly couldn't help it. Of course I could have gone to the mirror with a flashlight and produced several, easily.

I've had a recurrent cough / sinus issues off and on over the past few weeks. Last night, the right tonsil was really sore, so I went into the bathroom with a flashlight and tried pressing on the usual spot. Got some results, but noticed that right in the middle, there appeared to be one that was completely invisible except when I was pressing on the edge of the tonsil.

So I continued pressing - and ultimately managed to get a truly grody amount of stones out. Blech. Can't say it feels any better this morning, but certainly worse.

The suggestion of using something slightly curved is a good one - and press on one of the sides of the tonsil to hopefully force the nasty out in the other direction.

Mama Zappa
03-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Oooh - just thought of a tool that might work. They make zit-popping implements:
http://amazon.com/Body-Toolz-Double-Loop-Facial/dp/B001B7GJ2E/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1332425871&sr=1-1

I'd bet one of those (available from any beauty supply / drugstore) would be helpful. You could bend / squash one of the loops if need be.

Also when trying to see what you're doing: shine the flashlight AT THE MIRROR. It'll reflect off the mirror and illuminate your throat that way.

awldune
03-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Oooh - just thought of a tool that might work. They make zit-popping implements:
http://amazon.com/Body-Toolz-Double-Loop-Facial/dp/B001B7GJ2E/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1332425871&sr=1-1

I'd bet one of those (available from any beauty supply / drugstore) would be helpful. You could bend / squash one of the loops if need be.

Also when trying to see what you're doing: shine the flashlight AT THE MIRROR. It'll reflect off the mirror and illuminate your throat that way.

FWIW, I have one and don't find it useful for expressing stones. IMHO it causes too much trauma compared to blunter instruments like a fingertip or swab.

On the other hand, it might be useful for the OP's tiny mouth problem. My wife has that too but thankfully she does not get tonsilloliths like me.

bump
03-22-2012, 06:40 PM
I generally only get them after having had a cold or sinus infection or something along those lines.

That being said, the main thing that dislodges them seems to be when I'm brushing my teeth and tongue, if I brush way back on my tongue and gag a bit, then it seems to squeeze them right out.

Meyer6
03-22-2012, 07:24 PM
FWIW, I have one and don't find it useful for expressing stones. IMHO it causes too much trauma compared to blunter instruments like a fingertip or swab.

That's weird, I've never once gotten a tonsil stone out with a swab. Hence why I got desperate and tried the bent metal tool, and I've never done any damage with it. I suppose it probably depends on the size and shape of the pockets you have - they must all be slightly different.

Napier
03-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Another waterpik vote. Set on the most gentle pressure, loaded with water and perhaps 10% listerine. Got rid of a big one for me just a month or so ago.

jjimm
03-22-2012, 09:26 PM
I had an absolutely huge one last year that wouldn't budge. I could see the tip of it way down in a crypt, but with my tongue I could feel its shape through the tonsil wall, like the base of an iceberg. In the end I got a blunt plastic poker - off a toy or something - and poked at it until I broke the fucker up, then used the poker deep inside the crypt to scoop out the bits. Disgusting but worth it.

ataraxy22
03-22-2012, 09:37 PM
I get these occasionally. I can usually get them to pop out with pressure from one of my fingers near the crypt. I've also used toothpicks before, but maybe that isn't so safe?

corkboard
03-23-2012, 08:01 AM
What do you do with them once you work them loose- swallow? spit? Honest question. I'm intrigued.

jjimm
03-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Spit them the fuck out and get rid of them any way possible. They're the nastiest things on earth.

Anaamika
03-23-2012, 08:25 AM
What do you do with them once you work them loose- swallow? spit? Honest question. I'm intrigued.

Whatever is the fastest way to get them AWAY as possible. Honestly, I'd rather spit them out, but as they are so far back often I end up swallowing them before I even have a chance.

All of you people who can reach your tonsils with a toothpick or other short tool, well, I cannot do that. It's not that the pick isn't long enough; it's again the fact of the small mouth, so I cannot get my hand in far enough, plus the tongue moving around. I'd never try a toothpick anyway - I just know I'd end up swallowing it somehow.

It is as far back in my throat as possible without being non-visible, and half the time it isn't visible. The easiest way to even see it is to hold my breath and sort of push my tonsils forward.

It's gross. And I am resentful. No god made the human body! If he did there wouldn't be tonsil stones! : shakes fist :

Mama Zappa
03-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Gold plate 'em, of course :rolleyes:;).

I've got enough for a necklace now :cool:.

No seriously, spit 'em out and wash my hands to get rid of the stank.

Patty O'Furniture
03-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Jesus Christ.

Another vote for Jesus Christ.

ColdPhoenix
03-23-2012, 10:51 AM
I've never heard of these things but they sound gross.

A part of me would kind of like to have one just once so I can extract it. I imagine it could be even more satisfying than popping of a big spot (zit).

Mtgman
03-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Distilled vinegar is a natural and widely available astringent. Maybe gargle with it to shrink the tonsil before your next attempt?

I never had tonsil stones until a few years ago. My wife has had them all her life and I'm not sure if there was some sort of bacteria she was colonized with that I wasn't that caused the crypts, or if it was the natural degradation of the adenoid tissue with age. In either case they're ridiculously annoying given how generally harmless they are otherwise.

Enjoy,
Steven

El Burro Buenmozo
03-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Anaamika-
Maybe you should do as another poster suggested and break it up before extraction.

ColdPhoenix-
They are exceedingly gross, and exceedingly satisfying to extract, especially the big ones. When the back of my throat starts bugging me, I secretly hope that it is a big, nasty tosilith for me to squeeze out. It rarely is, but when it happens, oh the joy!

muldoonthief
03-23-2012, 11:49 AM

A part of me would kind of like to have one just once so I can extract it. I imagine it could be even more satisfying than popping of a big spot (zit).

It definitely is. Especially if you smush it afterwards and smell it - it gives off an unimaginably foul odor. Just don't walk up to your spouse and say "Smell this!"

Ferret Herder
03-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Once again, the same as with every other thread on tonsilolliths, I find myself retroactively grateful for the repeated bouts of tonsillitis in early childhood that led to a tonsillectomy at age 5.

Extremely grateful.

alice_in_wonderland
03-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Reading this thread makes me glad I had my tonsils out when I was 5 - I've never heard of this before and it sounds quite nasty.

Anyway, good luck - I hope you get this sorted.

Cinnamon Imp
04-02-2012, 05:46 AM
I'm jealous - they sound fun to pick out. I had my tonsils out at 5, but they grew back - wonder if that's why I don't get any? ;)

Anaamika
04-02-2012, 10:29 AM
BTW, I did eventually get it out. I waited another few days until it was even bigger, and then had my SO poke it again. We had a bit of an easier time, and this time it came out. Of course I swallowed it by accident since it's so far back. YUCK. Who cares though? It's gone and I don't feel that constant pressure anymore.

Autolycus
04-02-2012, 07:43 PM
How do you know you have a small mouth? Does it look small? Do dentists nag you? :confused:

pudytat72
04-02-2012, 10:29 PM
One way to get your tongue under control is to take a spoon and turn it over and put it inside your mouth over your tongue. Then you can push the tongue down and out of the way.

(I did this as a kid when spraying nasty tasting throat spray at the back of my throat-kept the tongue out of the way and kept the nasty taste off of my tongue.) I also used the spoon at times to put pressure on the tonsil to pop out the tonsil stones. Had my tonsils out at age 21-really made a difference!

Anaamika
04-03-2012, 08:22 AM
How do you know you have a small mouth? Does it look small? Do dentists nag you? :confused:

They don't nag me, but they have told me before as such. I had all four of my wisdom teeth come in at once, early, and the dentist did comment that my mouth was "unusually small".

Plus, I can just tell. It looks small, yes, and my tongue is fairly short-ish, too.

I will try the spoon trick, pudytat72

randomface
04-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Before I had my tonsils out, I once got desperate enough to use chopsticks to pry them out. The metal flatware ones work really well as long as you don't poke yourself too hard.

TruCelt
04-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Tonsillectomy time. Seriously - why would you live with this? I had mine out for much smaller stones.

aruvqan
04-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Tonsillectomy time. Seriously - why would you live with this? I had mine out for much smaller stones.
Because they can be dangerous for adults, and some time about the mid 60s they pretty much stopped doing them on a majority of kids. Dang it. My brother had his out, and the doc wouldn't yank mine, and I have suffered innumerable tonsilliths, sore throats, bouts of badly swollen tonsils with ragingly sore throats ... *grrrrrr*:mad:

Shagnasty
04-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Fishing lures are good for removing them.

davidm
04-03-2012, 01:38 PM
How is it that I've gotten this far in life without ever having even heard of these things, yet here are all these people talking as if they're a common everyday occurence? :confused: (Yes, I still have my tonsils.)

Anaamika
04-03-2012, 01:39 PM

I don't think it's worth it. I mean, I can deal. It's not worth it to get major surgery and get a piece cut of me that other than this is working just fine.

awldune
04-03-2012, 02:07 PM
How is it that I've gotten this far in life without ever having even heard of these things, yet here are all these people talking as if they're a common everyday occurence? :confused: (Yes, I still have my tonsils.)

I think some people just don't get them, but many people are not aware of the ones they have. They're difficult to spot without a flashlight and mirror. Some of the crypts (where tonsilloliths form) are hidden behind the tonsils themselves or behind ridges in the mouth/throat.

When you have one coming out, it often just feels like you have a mild sore throat or your "glands are swollen."

All that is to say, you are much more aware of them if you know such a thing exists and you check for them when you think you might have one. They tend to work themselves out without intervention, so in a way it can be better not to know.

davidm
04-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Honestly, I found myself checking the date of this thread to make sure it wasn't some kind of April fool thing. In any case, Google quickly put that notion to rest.

Chopsticks? Fishing lures? (With the hook? :eek:) Seriously?

I always thought tonsils were further down in the throat or something. I had no idea they were visible with a mirror and a flashlight. I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight.

Skammer
04-03-2012, 03:14 PM
I've only had one once, for a week or more, and it was awful. I finally was able to scrape it off with a popsicle stick.

kayT
04-03-2012, 05:09 PM
I never have any trouble getting them out, and mine are usually small. But the smell. O.M.G. Those of you who have never had the experience should thank your lucky stars. "Stank" indeed.

Sattua
04-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Okay, NOW I know why I still have a sore throat twelve days after the cold started. That isn't pus on my tonsils, those are two tonsil stones. How annoying!

I just ordered two oral irrigators from Amazon, but seriously, do these things all eventually work their way out on their own? I'm 31 and this is the first time I've knowingly had this problem.

davidm
04-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Okay. I'm seeing two white spots, one on each side, similar to what's shown here but not as big: (Warning: disgusting picture of the inside of a mouth) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tonsilar_Crypt_Tonsillolith.jpg

So, I should be trying to remove these? :dubious:

breezman
04-03-2012, 09:22 PM
I feel compelled to share links to popthatzit's page on tonsil stones (http://popthatzit.com/category/tonsil-stones/), and in particular this video. (http://popthatzit.com/2011/11/tonsil-stones-yall/)

davidm
04-03-2012, 09:32 PM
I feel compelled to share links to popthatzit's page on tonsil stones (http://popthatzit.com/category/tonsil-stones/), and in particular this video. (http://popthatzit.com/2011/11/tonsil-stones-yall/)Is that... I hate to even say it... a page for tonsil stone... fetishists? Some of those comments... :eek:

Shawn K
04-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Personally I'd rather know if there's anything resembling a cure. I get these all the time although not generally to huge. It'd be nice to not have to clean my tonsils out all the time but there doesn't seem to be a general consensus on the cause or cure.

Some people say it's from post nasal drip/sinus problems (I can kind of believe that, I never had a problem with tonsil stones until I started to have sinus problems), others say it's food particles only. I've tried gargling with Grape Seed Extract (didn't work), mild antiseptics (didn't work), flushing the crypts (didn't work).

There's a ton of websites that offer to fix it with their "special cure, online book" for X amount of dollars but they look like scams by and large.

Inner Stickler
04-03-2012, 11:28 PM
I'm with davidm. I had no idea this was a thing and now I've gone all paranoid, poking at my mouth and casting nervous glances in the direction of what I think are my tonsils.

SeaDragonTattoo
04-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Wow. Learn something new every day. Never heard of tonsil stones until today! Are they a hereditary tendency, maybe? Really don't want to google...

Anaamika
04-04-2012, 08:28 AM
I never had any problems with them until my late twenties or early thirties. I asked my dentist and he told me what they were, and said some people could do a trick in the chair of popping them out. I have no hope of doing that because of the aforementioned problems.

I don't think there's any cure short of removing the crypts; i.e., removing the tonsils.

They do eventually work their way out on their own - when they get big enough.

And you can avoid the smell if you just don't break it up. If you can get it out of the crypt whole, it doesn't smell nearly as bad. If it breaks...all bets are off.

920Tyler
11-04-2012, 06:26 AM

I can say this without a bit of hesitation. YOU NEVER want to experience what I'm experiencing now. I been up all night researching how to get this little bastard out my mouth. I JUST CAN'T. It's literally lodged in my upper throat and is extremely frustrating. I wish I could just cut my neck off and get it out then put my neck back on my shoulders. I have 1 on each side and can't get to them because a genius from above came up with the "Gag Reflex" idea. *Gun Cock* (SHOOT!)...

drastic_quench
11-04-2012, 12:11 PM
How did he type "shoot" after he shot himself?

butterprint
03-12-2013, 11:42 PM
I had to chime in since I get tonsil stones ALL the time. They're really annoying, it feels like when you're eating popcorn and a kernel shell gets suctioned onto the back of your tongue and you can feel it when you swallow...

Anyway, I have a super sensitive gag reflex, I can't stick anything back there like a toothbrush or a q-tip. The best way I've always found to get a stone out is to go to my kitchen sink, turn the water on full blast, and I use the sink hose as a sort of water pik. I shoot it straight into the back of my mouth, with my tongue blocking my throat the way it would at the dentist. It works like a charm every time, the blast of water from the kitchen hose knocks it right out.

I just will say, I've learned to disinfect the kitchen hose before doing this--I've done it MANY times--but one time I gave myself an infection of tonsillitis after doing it. So now I always disinfect the nozzle of the hose before doing this.

Anaamika
03-13-2013, 08:20 AM
I was wondering when I saw this thread again! Thanks for the update. How the hell do you get your head under the sink in the right angle? You mean the sprayer? You shoot the sprayer down your throat?

This is getting more and more indiscreet.

llcoolbj77
03-13-2013, 10:37 AM

I have the opportunity to get mine out. Repeated tonsilitis, and gross stones. Should I do it? The ENT said she would OK the procedure for me, but warned that in adults, the pain afterwards is awful.

I'm a trial attorney so I have to talk for a living. I would obviously have to take atleast a week off for recovery, yes?

I Like Pie
03-13-2013, 11:06 AM
These (http://amazon.com/Tweezerman-Point-Tweezer-Signature-Red/dp/B000WI028U/ref=sr_1_22?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1363190634&sr=1-22&keywords=pointed+tip+tweezers) work wonders. Really, any pointed tip tweezers. I've had tonsil stones since my early twenties. My dr said whenever I'm ready to have my tonsils out, just let him know.

awldune
03-13-2013, 12:28 PM
These (http://amazon.com/Tweezerman-Point-Tweezer-Signature-Red/dp/B000WI028U/ref=sr_1_22?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1363190634&sr=1-22&keywords=pointed+tip+tweezers) work wonders. Really, any pointed tip tweezers. I've had tonsil stones since my early twenties. My dr said whenever I'm ready to have my tonsils out, just let him know.

:confused: Looks like a recipe for bleeding tonsils. You don't bleed when you use something that pointy? I sure do!

I think I posted earlier in this thread, but I find that a plastic syringe works well. Squirt water at the stone and it will often come right out. You can often get them free from pharmacies if you ask.

Anaamika
03-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Yeah I took one look at those and thought "no way I'm sticking that down my throat." One twitch and suddenly I have open wounds in my mouth. Bleh.

TruCelt
03-13-2013, 01:48 PM
I have the opportunity to get mine out. Repeated tonsilitis, and gross stones. Should I do it? The ENT said she would OK the procedure for me, but warned that in adults, the pain afterwards is awful.

I'm a trial attorney so I have to talk for a living. I would obviously have to take at least a week off for recovery, yes?

Recovery was seriously very much not fun; I would counsel at least two weeks before any trial dates. I would say only 1-2 days before you could be doing research and prep from home. For me, I needed to keep my mind busy, but was weak because I couldn't eat properly.

But keep in mind that this is planned time off. Each one of those stones is pus from an infection. It's only a matter of time before you get a really agressive bacteria in there and one goes septic. Do you really want that to happen the day before you are scheduled to be in court?

awldune
03-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Each one of those stones is pus from an infection. It's only a matter of time before you get a really agressive bacteria in there and one goes septic.

Can you provide a cite for these claims? This goes against my understanding of the composition and prognosis of tonsilloliths.

I Like Pie
03-13-2013, 02:57 PM
:confused: Looks like a recipe for bleeding tonsils. You don't bleed when you use something that pointy? I sure do!

Yeah I took one look at those and thought "no way I'm sticking that down my throat." One twitch and suddenly I have open wounds in my mouth. Bleh.

Ok, so those are a little pointy. I just did a basic search for "pointed tip tweezers" and posted a link. Mine are significantly rounded on the ends. They work great for grasping and extracting. Just make sure you disinfect before and after using!

I Like Pie
03-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Each one of those stones is pus from an infection. It's only a matter of time before you get a really agressive bacteria in there and one goes septic.
Not really (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith)
"...are clusters of calcified material that form in the crevices of the tonsils...They are composed mostly of calcium, but may contain other minerals such as phosphorus and magnesium, as well as ammonia and carbonate."

llcoolbj77
03-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Recovery was seriously very much not fun; I would counsel at least two weeks before any trial dates. I would say only 1-2 days before you could be doing research and prep from home. For me, I needed to keep my mind busy, but was weak because I couldn't eat properly.

But keep in mind that this is planned time off. Each one of those stones is pus from an infection. It's only a matter of time before you get a really agressive bacteria in there and one goes septic. Do you really want that to happen the day before you are scheduled to be in court?

Very true... and I am out atleast four times a year with some form of tonsilitis or other. The stones are mostly just nasty and suck. I thought the recovery from getting my wisdom teeth out was a breeze, and needed no pain killers. Maybe I will go ahead and schedule it.

TruCelt
03-14-2013, 12:57 AM
Not really (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith)
"...are clusters of calcified material that form in the crevices of the tonsils...They are composed mostly of calcium, but may contain other minerals such as phosphorus and magnesium, as well as ammonia and carbonate."

From your cite:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/36/Gray1027.png/220px-Gray1027.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray1027.png) http://bits.wikimedia.org/static-1.21wmf10/skins/common/images/magnify-clip.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray1027.png)
Low-power microscope magnification of a cross-section through one of the tonsillar crypts (running diagonally) as it opens onto the surface of the throat (at the top). Stratified epithelium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epithelium) (e) covers the throat's surface and continues as a lining of the crypt. Beneath the surface are numerous nodules (f) of lymphoid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymphoid) tissue. Many lymph cells (dark-colored region) pass from the nodules toward the surface and will eventually mix with the saliva (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saliva) as salivary corpuscles (s).

The mechanism by which these calculi form is subject to debate,[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith#cite_note-Ram04-1) though they appear to result from the accumulation of material retained within the crypts, along with the growth of bacteria and fungi – sometimes in association with persistent chronic purulent tonsillitis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillitis).

Recently, an association between biofilms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biofilms) and tonsilloliths was shown. Central to the biofilm concept is the assumption that bacteria form a three dimensional structure; dormant bacteria being in the center to serve as a constant nidus of infection. This impermeable structure renders the biofilm immune to antibiotic treatment. By use of confocal microscopy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confocal_microscopy) and microelectrodes, biofilms similar to dental biofilms were shown to be present in the tonsillolith, with oxygen respiration at the outer layer of tonsillolith, denitrification (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denitrification) toward the middle, and acidification toward the bottom.[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith#cite_note-7)

This is in agreement with what my internist and surgeon each explained to me when I had my tonsils removed.

Jeep's Phoenix
03-20-2013, 07:43 PM
I feel compelled to share links to popthatzit's page on tonsil stones (http://popthatzit.com/category/tonsil-stones/), and in particular this video. (http://popthatzit.com/2011/11/tonsil-stones-yall/)
:eek: Now that's a tonsil stone. My tonsils produce mere pebbles compared to that.

IvoryTowerDenizen
03-20-2013, 08:35 PM
From your cite:

This is in agreement with what my internist and surgeon each explained to me when I had my tonsils removed.

Note that the presence of bacteria doesn't equal an infection. Many parts of our body, including the mouth naturally have non pathogenic bacteria that do no harm to the tissue they're found on.

infinitii
03-20-2013, 09:25 PM
Interesting...I am 31 and only started getting them a few years back. It seems seasonal, but I can't really place a specific time on it. It only happens on the left side of my throat. And oh, by the way, did I mention I got my tonsils out when I was like 7 years old!!!

~Olive~
03-20-2013, 09:42 PM
This is the first I have heard of them. I had a stone under my tongue once.

Use a little gauze to hold the tongue out of the way. It's less slippery.

Obeseus
03-20-2013, 10:27 PM
I get them all of the time. I used to have trouble getting them out until I used a table knife. Go in handle first. Press the knife next to the stone, and it will pop out. Sometimes I'll rub the knife across despite no stones being visible, and some will pop out.

dougie_monty
03-20-2013, 11:50 PM
From what a doctor told me about thirty years ago, it helps to gargle with any kind of carbonated drink--even club soda.

Anaamika
03-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Interesting...I am 31 and only started getting them a few years back. It seems seasonal, but I can't really place a specific time on it. It only happens on the left side of my throat. And oh, by the way, did I mention I got my tonsils out when I was like 7 years old!!!

Seriously???? Because then I gues I have no reason to get my tonsils out!

Samantha Leigh
03-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Mine went away forever after I had my tonsils out. However, I think my tonsils were doing me some good because right after the surgery, I ended up with some auto-immune stuff. My body started attacking itself. Could be a coincidence but they seem connected to me.

LurkerInNJ
03-21-2013, 02:55 PM

I'm a trial attorney so I have to talk for a living. I would obviously have to take atleast a week off for recovery, yes?

I had mine out in middle age. The pain was not that bad. It was uncomfortable but it was nothing like the terrible stories I read online. No picnic, but not the chamber of horrors I expected.

You won't be able to talk for the first week, just the occasional phrase, unless you are into pain. Week two will be slightly better as in you will be able to go to work, but you won't be trying any cases just yet.

I'm glad I had it done.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: wwii draft exemptions mit out sound a fornight kroger cooked turkey connie the godfather burrito etymology rarest zodiac mind as well todd lubitsch finding forrester bmw difference between manor and mansion where did the term dick come from donald duck lick my balls how to kill a dog exercise and bowel movements was lucius going to kill harry why not use drano in toilet eating ramen noodles dry is jamie lee curtis intersex copper coil water heater the secret storm joan crawford use steel wool #0000 to polish glass windshield