PDA

View Full Version : What happened to all the MomCorp bending units in Futurama,

MacTech
06-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Other than Bender, we have only seen two other bending units in Futurama, Flexo and Billy West.... (No, the replicated and nano benders don't count)

Did Mom activate their self destruct mode, did she recall and destroy nearly the entire line? Did Bender Unit 22 destroy all the others (aside from Flexo and Billy West) so he'd have less competition for greatness, Or did the rest of them simply move to Chappak 9?

Given Bender's full designation of Bender "Bending" Rodriguez, Unit 22,where are the other 21 units?

Mr. Miskatonic
06-19-2013, 05:44 PM
They're all still in Mexico, where they were manufactured.

Bryan Ekers
06-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Considering that when we first meet Bender, he's waiting in line at a suicide booth, I suspect the model may have some long-term reliability issues.

Great Antibob
06-19-2013, 05:52 PM
The same thing that happened to Chuck Cunningham.

IIRC, they went on strike (http://comedycentral.com/video-clips/vd1hio/futurama-scabbing-bender) and were never heard from again.

Grrr!
06-20-2013, 09:52 AM
Considering that when we first meet Bender, he's waiting in line at a suicide booth, I suspect the model may have some long-term reliability issues.

I loved the fact that he used a coin attached to a string for the suicide booth.

Mr. Excellent
06-20-2013, 09:56 AM
I loved the fact that he used a coin attached to a string for the suicide booth.

And wanted to share the booth, at that. "Hey, buddy, wanna make this a twofer?"

cmkeller
06-20-2013, 11:38 AM
I thought Billy West wasn't a bending unit. Yes, he looked identical to Bender, but wasn't capable of bending anything.

Two other bending units who are seen in the series: Bender's son Ben, and Angle-ine.

beowulff
06-20-2013, 05:35 PM
I thought Billy West wasn't a bending unit. Yes, he looked identical to Bender, but wasn't capable of bending anything.

Two other bending units who are seen in the series: Bender's son Ben, and Angle-ine.

Don't forget Flexo (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090605001728/en.futurama/images/8/83/Flexo.jpg).

Great Antibob
06-20-2013, 05:40 PM
I wasn't joking about the striking bending robots. None of them get names, though.

You see maybe 8 or 10 of them in front of the bending plant before Bender goes to the back door to scab. Angleyne and Flexo also scab in that episode.

Bendless Love (http://futurama.wikia.com/wiki/Bendless_Love)

Oh and there's also Bend Her (http://futurama.wikia.com/wiki/Bend_Her), which had the Robot Olympics with a robot bending event for both male and female robots.

cochrane
06-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Don't forget Flexo (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090605001728/en.futurama/images/8/83/Flexo.jpg).

Flexo was mentioned in the OP.

Didn't Bender want to commit suicide because he found out the girders he bent were being used to construct suicide booths? It makes it seem as if he had a conscience.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
06-20-2013, 07:26 PM
At one point, Bender found Flexo in a recycling can, due to recalls & defects in bending units.
A fact Bender tried to hide.
So, go figure.

pancakes3
06-21-2013, 10:15 AM
In the episode where Bender and Hermes go on their journey, it was kicked off due to a recall - and mom's solution was to FIRE them.

Bryan Ekers
06-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Was it out of a cannon, into the sun?

I saw the episode a while ago, I forget the details.

pancakes3
06-21-2013, 11:31 AM
It was killbots who would indiscriminately start firing whenever someone said fire, shoot, howitzer, etc.

Gangster Octopus
06-21-2013, 01:16 PM
In fact it seems to me the only similar robots we see en masse are on Chapek 9.

cmkeller
06-21-2013, 01:19 PM
In all seriousness, why would we expect to see them? I imagine that they mostly work in factories, where the action of the show seldom takes place.

gaffa
06-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Was it out of a cannon, into the sun?
I love that line! It's a perfectly constructed joke, using a word with two different meanings. And though I've heard it dozens of times, it still makes me giggle.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: 2003 penny error theodore rex imdb functional garter belt 22 gunshot wounds chlorine triflouride tiny clown car baby midget minesweeper wwii unprotected left turn walgreens detox kit interstate vs highway your item was delivered to an individual at the address shell no pest strips windows 10 is bullshit martial arts that use weapons damn kids get off my lawn 3 word song titles home depot spare key how to cut wire with pliers does dr dre have a doctorate degree how long does montezuma's revenge last what does bonded mean for a job temperature where celsius and fahrenheit meet eye dilating drops side effects