PDA

View Full Version : Football equipment question - those pads that look like fanny packs

Shoeless
12-09-2013, 07:46 AM
What are those pads that some football players wear that look like fanny packs? My wife was asking me about those yesterday while we were watching the Chiefs-Redskins game. I've noticed them before but never really gave much thought to what they were for. Since I didn't know, I just made something up. (And in fact my made-up answer was "They're fanny packs.") Not everyone wears them - it looked like mostly defensive backs and running backs?

Least Original User Name Ever
12-09-2013, 08:22 AM
Hand warmers.

Telemark
12-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Do you mean like this? http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/blogs/tom-brady-patriots-nfl-quaterback-workout-routine-tips.jpg

If so, then yes, they are hand warming pockets.

Shoeless
12-09-2013, 09:38 AM
No, not those. Similar looking, but they are on the back, not the front.

I guess they could be hand warmers but that would be an odd way to wear them!

garygnu
12-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Still hand warmers. They are on a belt that the player can rotate from the front to the back. Front to hold your hands in in between plays, back while you're playing.

lieu
12-09-2013, 10:22 AM
nm

Shoeless
12-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Still hand warmers. They are on a belt that the player can rotate from the front to the back. Front to hold your hands in in between plays, back while you're playing.

Interesting. I didn't know that they could be rotated around like that. I guess that makes sense if you are a running back -- you don't want it in your way if you are trying to take a hand-off.

crypto
12-09-2013, 11:54 AM

This.

The warmers are slid from front to back by the player as they need them.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: zodiac vaughn goosed meaning doctors for snoring longest acting career japanese miyota offensive synonym kindle chargers enterprise cogenitor true cobra rotor resurface cost how long does plumbers putty last start car with bad starter piggly wiggly money order judge judy ebay scam pilonidal cyst drain at home no fortune in a fortune cookie tommy hanson baseball reference morgans restaurant kitchen nightmares new directions meal replacement shakes willing song little feat teeter totter bread and water why quidditch makes no sense