PDA

View Full Version : Is there a name for this type of humor?

Grrr!
04-26-2014, 01:32 PM
Family Guy seems to be fond of this type of humor:

Peter and the Bullfrog (https://youtube.com/watch?v=DXHaCEhOiWU)

Peter and the forklift (https://youtube.com/watch?v=DexX6gU3oQw) [Graphic]

Then there's a newer one that hasn't made it to YT yet of Peter trying to open a can of Spinach.

I don't know what it is about this particular brand of humor but it cracks me up every time.

mbh
04-26-2014, 02:58 PM
I would call it "macabre humor", "gallows humor", or "gross-out jokes"

Joey P
04-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Family Guy draaaaaags out jokes, is that what you're referring to? Or are you talking specifically about the jokes you posted (which could be considered 'gross' or 'awkward' )?

Would this (https://youtube.com/watch?v=-Gz02QZSNPY) fit into what you're asking about?

Slithy Tove
04-26-2014, 03:20 PM
"Milking"

mbh
04-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Wait a minute. Which aspect of the joke are you referring to? The dead body, or Peter's unsuccessful attempts to get rid of it? If the latter, how about "frustration"?

Finagle
04-26-2014, 03:29 PM
Nearest I can think of is a Shaggy Dog story where it isn't the punch line that's the joke, but rather the process of telling an increasingly convoluted or lengthy joke. The (in)famous "Aristocrats" is probably the same thing.

Quimby
04-26-2014, 03:32 PM
There's a theory that when you extend a joke it gets funnier and funnier until it stops being funny but if you keep going beyond that, eventually it gets funny again. Mike Meyers also does a lot of jokes like this in the Austin Powers movies.

ETA: I really felt bad for that whale.

Grrr!
04-26-2014, 03:37 PM
I'm not talking about the gross out factor, I'm referring to making several attempts to do something and failing every time.

SiXSwordS
04-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Ludicrous? Over-the-top? If it is the repetition beyond humor that eventually—through additional repetitions—becomes funny again... Maybe "Double-Psych (http://southparkstudios.com/clips/153976/farting-on-kyle)."

OneOfOne
04-26-2014, 07:05 PM
Is it called an overly long gag, on TV Tropes page, where it goes to the point where the sheer length becomes the gag. I think the Simpsons Rake scene with Sideshow Bob does it best.

Incubus
04-26-2014, 08:49 PM
Yeah, at some point the length they take the joke definitely becomes the joke itself. There seems to be a particular amount of timing about this.

With the bullfrog, they could have ended the joke with Peter's initial reaction. "Hey Chris I got you a bullfrog ohhhh it died." :(

When he's repeatedly trying to throw it out the window without actually touching it, I think it becomes funny both because of the length and people relating to similar awkward/macabe situations; I can remember trying to gingerly remove a disgusting squirrel corpse from my front yard (I think I also had a shoebox, coincedentally) and the stupid corpse just Wouldn't.Go.In.The.Box. At some point I had looked up, and realized a kid on a bicycle had been watching me the whole time, probably with great amusement.

RealityChuck
04-26-2014, 09:13 PM
"Milking"This is it. Family Guy would be far better if they ever understood the point where the joke just stops being funny (not that this particular one was all that funny to begin with, but they have had some brilliant jokes that were killed by McFarland's penchant for not knowing when to stop).

panache45
04-26-2014, 09:19 PM
I'd call it a combination of "locus ad absurdum" and "locus ad nauseum."

I'd also call it "When the hell is this gonna stop already?"

MrKnowItAll
04-26-2014, 09:32 PM
Frankly, I'm not a big fan of Family Guy. However, I thought those clips were hilarious, as well as a little uncomfortable. A big part of Peter's character is that he's just too stupid to know when to stop. He compounds his idiocy with pure bull-headedness. It's pure satire.

What to call it? I think Overly-Long Gag (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OverlyLongGag) fits nicely, while the gross-out factor contributes by making it seem even more wrong.

Erdosain
04-26-2014, 09:32 PM
Is it called an overly long gag, on TV Tropes page, where it goes to the point where the sheer length becomes the gag. I think the Simpsons Rake scene with Sideshow Bob does it best.

My favorite example is the vomit scene in Team America: World Police. I'm cracking up just thinking about it.

Best Topics: no 1 pencil cow tools ugly yard art larry craig meme weapon trident freecell statistics unlockriver prices polishing corian countertop reticulating splines definition 2000 knots cocoa vs coca dust everywhere brain fever definition buy liquor cabinet best idle games opposite of diuretic past tv schedules oxycodone sleep egg mattress test huffy mongoose bike ed.d title txtag placement cunt wife magnesium flares gold printing ink boston charlie battle cats snl sienna wiki al ghul meaning pattern is full modern polymaths marines platoon purple mattress egg test commercial where do fahrenheit and celsius meet what is the song mony mony about kmart australia vs kmart usa what does parcel select mean when hooking up a car battery positive or negative first was lucius malfoy going to kill harry the three stooges theme song bald guy with sideburns fleets phospho soda alternative how much rat poison will kill a dog best male speaking voices 2008 subaru outback gas mileage where to buy human bones cough syrup with codeine otc why do i have to sign into google chrome every time can bacterial infections go away on their own is there such thing as a perfect circle navy boot camp showers ground beef turned brown in fridge is nicotine by itself bad 3 prong extension cord 2 prong outlet female version of cockblock costco dish drying rack how long is a freight train is jerry springer staged a group of pill pushers wheel of fortune my girlfriend farts a lot moo i'm a goat older men having sex with teens does canned frosting go bad out of area calls