PDA

View Full Version : Grace Jones..Did people find her sexy?

chicagowhitesox1173
04-27-2014, 03:10 PM
For some reason she came to mind recently and I actually forgot her name so I looked up the Conan movies. I didn't realize she was in only one of them either. I kinda recall alot of guys thinking of her as sexy in the 80's. I was only 11 years old when Conan the Destroyer came out but I never got the attraction she had. Maybe i'm wrong but for a few years wasn't she like a household name?

After looking her up in Wikipedia, I saw that she was a main character in a James Bond film too. I do not get this attraction she had.

The Second Stone
04-27-2014, 03:15 PM
Confidence is always sexy and her characters exuded confidence.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
04-27-2014, 03:15 PM
I thought she was hot.

DrFidelius
04-27-2014, 03:22 PM
Yes, in a very scary way.

scabpicker
04-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Another vote for: Sure, she could kill me, but I'd take that chance.

Baron Greenback
04-27-2014, 03:33 PM
I always liked her music more than her acting, but she's definitely got something about her.

Pull Up To The Bumper (https://youtube.com/watch?v=Tc1IphRx1pk&feature=kp) is full of splendid euphemisms.

JRDelirious
04-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Confidence is always sexy and her characters exuded confidence. Absolutely.

And like others have pointed out, there are many men who'd say: "Powerful amazon bitch? That's hot. I'll take my chance, what a way to go."

Also, her look was "exotic" and a lot of people find that sexy -- she definitely did not follow the "Barbie doll dipped in chocolate" standard that mainstream media used to define an attractive black woman. Grace Jones looked like Grace Jones.

Uniqueorn
04-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Back then I was rather scared of her, but "Slave to the rhythm"and her version of "La vie en rose" are still two of my favourite songs ever.

Happy Lendervedder
04-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Never thought she was sexy. She's too manly, and I don't find men sexy.

But even judging her as manly, I don't think she's good looking. I can see the attractiveness in a George Clooney or Denzel Washington or Brad Pitt-- I can even see their sexiness, even if I'm personally not attracted to them. I just don't see the attractiveness in Grace Jones. She's odd looking, imo, not sexy.

If someone wants to link to a picture they find her especially sexy in, I'm willing to change my opinion.

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
04-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Nope. Had to double check, though, to see whether my opinion had changed in the past 30 years. Just not into guys, which is what she looked like to me. (NTTAWWT.)

monstro
04-27-2014, 04:04 PM
Her music is awesome.

She appeals to people who are into the androgynous aesthetic, which is why she was well-suited for the 70s and 80s.

Queens of Disco-Grace Jones (https://youtube.com/watch?v=AEQzu1TDB_A)

chiroptera
04-27-2014, 04:15 PM
I'm a straight female and always though she was sexy as hell (http://nutriot.com/files/2010/07/grace_jones-twelve_inch_fever.jpg). I a very unconventional, androgynous way.

Arcite
04-27-2014, 04:23 PM
No, she's not attractive. The media's attempt to portray her as such was essentially just another middle-finger to what it (wrongly) sees as arbitrarily constructed social norms.

Ranger Jeff
04-27-2014, 04:45 PM
I never thought she was. I didn't care for her style. But, as the saying goes... different strokes.

The Tooth
04-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Strangely alluring, like an ur-Bjork.

Echo Charlie
04-27-2014, 05:17 PM
I saw her perform live last summer. Still sexy.

chicagowhitesox1173
04-27-2014, 05:21 PM
How many people saw her perform? I can't imagine that being sold out.

silenus
04-27-2014, 05:25 PM
Never thought she was even remotely attractive, in any way. Feel the same about her "acting" and her music.

jayjay
04-27-2014, 05:26 PM

I Googled "Grace Jones sold out concerts" and there were quite a few returns, including recent dates (within the last 5 or 6 years). She was and is popular.

MOIDALIZE
04-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Depends on the picture for me. She had a rather chiseled face for a woman.

I think some of her more severe 80s eye-eyebrow-hair stylings didn't always look good with her nose.

CarnalK
04-27-2014, 05:58 PM
I Googled "Grace Jones sold out concerts" and there were quite a few returns, including recent dates (within the last 5 or 6 years). She was and is popular.

Now Google "irregardless" to find out if it's a real word. lol.

Shodan
04-27-2014, 05:58 PM
No. I'm not into guys.

Regards,
Shodan

Mahaloth
04-27-2014, 06:07 PM
Never thought she was even remotely attractive, in any way. Feel the same about her "acting" and her music.

Me too.

WordMan
04-27-2014, 06:09 PM
On the cover of Nightclubbing, she defines fierce.

And, to be clear: that album is fucking amazing. Total respect - she had an amazing team assembled around her, but Grace delivered.

jayjay
04-27-2014, 06:33 PM
Now Google "irregardless" to find out if it's a real word. lol.

If this was an attempt at humor, it's pretty sad.

River Hippie
04-27-2014, 06:56 PM
I never did.

Ají de Gallina
04-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Not even close. Waaaaay too mannish.
She'd be androgynus if she was wearing a pink dress.
Even her naked pictures are more of a "skinny guy with small breasts" look.
All pics SFW.

Pic 1 (http://stars-celebrites.com/JONES-GRACE/jones01.jpg)
Pic 2 (http://content9.flixster.com/photo/11/08/39/11083939_ori.jpg)
Pic 3 (http://shirletteammons.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1284680742_5335-1.jpeg)

But if she does it for you, more power to ya.

chicagowhitesox1173
04-27-2014, 07:28 PM
Not even close. Waaaaay too mannish.
Even her naked pictures are more of a "skinny guy with small breasts" look.

Pic 1 (http://stars-celebrites.com/JONES-GRACE/jones01.jpg)
Pic 2 (http://content9.flixster.com/photo/11/08/39/11083939_ori.jpg)
Pic 3 (http://shirletteammons.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1284680742_5335-1.jpeg)

But if she does it for you, more power to ya.

Picture 2 is just downright scary.

CarnalK
04-27-2014, 07:31 PM
If this was an attempt at humor, it's pretty sad.

Your Google survey evidence is what was sad, which is what I was pointing out.

MrKnowItAll
04-27-2014, 07:35 PM
Uh-huh. Okay, first of all remember, she's European and she's from the 80s. A lot of female stars from Europe looked like this back then, and many Americans as well. It's part of the whole New Wave look, strongly influenced by music star fashions on MTV. Yes, she was pushing the envelope a bit further than most, but not much really. Lady Gaga is much more extreme today than Grace Jones was in her day.

As for her slimness? Hey, that was in then. We were not that far out of the 70s, and undernourished was still considered vogue.

jayjay
04-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Your Google survey evidence is what was sad, which is what I was pointing out.

I wasn't publishing a fucking scientific study. I was anecdoting, which I wasn't aware was frowned upon in CS. If I'd known that you'd personally moved the thread to GD with your mind I'd have acted accordingly.

CarnalK
04-27-2014, 07:50 PM
Look, saying "That got lots of hits on Google" is just kind of silly in almost every conversation.

TonySinclair
04-27-2014, 07:57 PM
Not attractive IMO, but you have to respect anyone who could win all those gold medals in sprinting and long jumping.

Baron Greenback
04-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Uh-huh. Okay, first of all remember, she's European

Top research there, fella.

zoid
04-27-2014, 09:14 PM

Same here. Not attractive at all and her music was awful. I'll let her slide on the acting because I don't think she ever landed a decent role that I've seen. No one could have looked good in that stupid Bond role.

Tamerlane
04-27-2014, 09:23 PM
I thought her music was okay and though I don't find her sexy for my tastes, I think she is a handsome woman and I could see why others might think so. There is a reason she was a top runway model before ever getting involved in music or acting. Androgynuos, yes - but also quite striking.

MrKnowItAll
04-27-2014, 10:52 PM

When making a point, it's appropriate to start with the "givens".

Fella.

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
04-27-2014, 11:00 PM
But getting back to the specific question of the OP, during Jones's heyday from the late 1970s thru mid 1980s, I don't ever recall her being touted as "sexy." "Outrageous" occasionally, but never (that I recall) "sexy."

njtt
04-27-2014, 11:15 PM
When making a point, it's appropriate to start with the "givens".

Fella.

It would help if they were true, though, so called MrKnowItAll. Are you under the impression that Jamaica is in Europe? Anyway, at age 13 she moved to America, so I should imagine she became a US citizen long before her showbiz career took off.

I never personally found her attractive, but I can certainly see why many men would think her very sexy.

randompattern
04-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Nope. I always thought she looked like a man.
Acting-no
Music-no

Siam Sam
04-27-2014, 11:25 PM
Straight male, remember her very well from the '80s, and no, I did not think she was the least bit sexy. Just scary as hell.

Siam Sam
04-27-2014, 11:30 PM
Uh-huh. Okay, first of all remember, she's European ...

Well, in all fairness she was born and raised in Spanish Town, Jamaica. :D

Mr. Nylock
04-27-2014, 11:43 PM
I don't, but apparently Dolf Lungren did; he was an interesting guy.

pseudograph
04-27-2014, 11:48 PM

Irregardless of the rest of this debate, that is a great line.

cmkeller
04-27-2014, 11:54 PM
I know nothing of her other than her performance as May Day in the Bond movie A View to a Kill, but I didn't care for her at all.

Nava
04-28-2014, 07:51 AM
Way back then, she came up in a conversation among my friends. The consensus among the guys was that while some found her attractive and some did not, all of them found her llamativa - lit. attention-grabbing, riveting. She was different.

SciFiSam
04-28-2014, 08:51 AM
She was scary-sexy. As in, you know she can do some things you have never heard of, and do you want them? Maybe not, but she knows them.

When rewatching A View to a Kill last year she didn't actually seem all that masculine to me. She did to me as a child when watching the film, but now - well, lots of mainstream women are muscled like that and her face is definitely feminine. She's just darker than usual and has short hair.

I saw her at Glastonbury in 2006ish (I'm terrible with dates) and she put on a good show.

Doyle
04-28-2014, 09:20 AM
Not at all.

Loach
04-28-2014, 09:24 AM
Horrible music
Horrible acting
Striking exotic look but not sexually appealing

BigT
04-28-2014, 09:35 AM
The picture that comes up when you Google her (to make sure I was remembering who we were talking about) is absolutely frightening, in an uncanny valley way.

I think she could be attractive if she's try to soften those fierce features. But she seemed to accentuate them.

polar bear
04-28-2014, 09:35 AM

I saw her at a festival a few years ago; she was almost an hour late (which doesn't really happen at festivals), dressed in victoria secret type of sexy dress... and the place was packed with twenty-somethings. If we're together with that group it still comes up regularly, memorable to say the least.

She isn't hot at all, but confidence sure is alluring... but not sexually, in my case at least.

Elendil's Heir
04-28-2014, 10:15 AM
Interesting and watchable, yes. Sexy, no.

:: shudder ::

Not my type at all.

gytalf2000
04-28-2014, 10:36 AM
Yeah, she was hot -- a bit scary-looking, but also sexy!

Echo Charlie
04-28-2014, 10:56 AM
It was at a music festival in East London. She closed the show, so probably 30,000 people watching. Not bad for a 65-year-old lady wearing a series of funny hats.

Ms Jones has a big gay following, obvs.

astorian
04-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Obviously, SOMEBODY found her attractive, and SOMEBODY bought her records... but I never did and never knew anyone who did. I guess I just never travelled in the same circles as the people who thought her attractive or talented (or interesting).

I always thought she got a lot more media attention than she warranted because she always hung out at all the chic discos and hotspots that the papparazzi frequented. REAL celebrities rarely or never went to such places, so the paparazzi made "stars" of the people who did.

twickster
04-28-2014, 11:38 AM
I wasn't publishing a fucking scientific study. I was anecdoting, which I wasn't aware was frowned upon in CS. If I'd known that you'd personally moved the thread to GD with your mind I'd have acted accordingly.

Dial it way back, pls., jayjay.

Thanks,

twicks

Evil Captor
04-28-2014, 12:09 PM
I don't find Jones sexually attractive, personally, but I do find her personally attractive. She strikes me as being a fun person to know, apart from her wealth and fame -- she's got a lot going on under that flattop of hers. And I also see how others might find her attractive.

nevadaexile
04-28-2014, 12:18 PM
Uh-huh. Okay, first of all remember, she's European and she's from the 80s. A lot of female stars from Europe looked like this back then, and many Americans as well. It's part of the whole New Wave look, strongly influenced by music star fashions on MTV. Yes, she was pushing the envelope a bit further than most, but not much really. Lady Gaga is much more extreme today than Grace Jones was in her day.

As for her slimness? Hey, that was in then. We were not that far out of the 70s, and undernourished was still considered vogue.

She's European..how again?
She was born in Jamaica and spent her teen and early adult years in the US.
She still retains US citizenship, although she lives mostly in Europe.

Her singing was average.
Her acting was terrible.
Her looks were, at best, average for a woman.
She did have a great deal of personality and stage presence and that's what carried her through.

Son of a Rich
04-28-2014, 01:05 PM
Grace Jones looks like a masculine Arsenio Hall.

NotherYinzer
04-28-2014, 08:08 PM
What? Nobody remembers the Date With Grace Jones skit from In Living Color (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eQopdEwzRj0)?

chicagowhitesox1173
04-28-2014, 08:26 PM
What? Nobody remembers the Date With Grace Jones skit from In Living Color (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eQopdEwzRj0)?

That was pretty good. I never saw that.

Trinopus
04-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Confidence is always sexy and her characters exuded confidence.

I thought she was hot.

Another vote for: Sure, she could kill me, but I'd take that chance.

. . . there are many men who'd say: "Powerful amazon bitch? That's hot. I'll take my chance, what a way to go." . . .

All of this. Yes, definitely.

Does anyone know what her real life personality was like? Was she mean to people, or kind? Few things are quite as sexy, in both men and women, as a "gentle giant."

Grrr!
04-28-2014, 09:21 PM
I remember the big gossip back in the day when she was filming Conan is that she was batshit crazy. Something about she injured a bunch of people on the set because she got carried away in one of the fight scenes?

I don't know, probably an urban myth.

But no, Grace Jones is the stuff nightmares are made of.

Leaffan
04-28-2014, 09:29 PM
Bitchy, dominatrix, androgynous broad with a buzz cut and shitty music.

I'll pass.

Sir Prize
04-28-2014, 09:34 PM
All of this. Yes, definitely.

Does anyone know what her real life personality was like? Was she mean to people, or kind? Few things are quite as sexy, in both men and women, as a "gentle giant."My friend was wearing some jewelry that her mother had given her at a nightclub. Grace Jones asked if she could try them on. My sweet, nice friend obliged. I don't know why. Grace Jones then left the place without giving them back. If I ever have the opportunity to do something mean to her...

BigT
04-28-2014, 10:26 PM
I forgot to mention that I tend to find androgyny at least somewhat attractive. But androgyny is not what I get when I see Ms. Jones. It's that fierceness I mention.

MrKnowItAll
04-28-2014, 11:52 PM
It would help if they were true, though, so called MrKnowItAll. Are you under the impression that Jamaica is in Europe? Anyway, at age 13 she moved to America, so I should imagine she became a US citizen long before her showbiz career took off.

Oh. She's Jamaican. Well, darn. I thought she was French.

Nevermind.

Magiver
04-29-2014, 12:31 AM
Waaaaaay to mannish for me. She looks like something chiseled out of stone for a sci-fi movie. And it seems to be done deliberately. I suspect she could dial it back considerably if she chose to.

WordMan
04-29-2014, 07:33 AM
Bitchy, dominatrix, androgynous broad with a buzz cut and shitty music.

I'll pass.

All of that is your call - and there are a lot of folks who apparently agree with you - but damn, a lot of her music is excellent. A quick YouTube check didn't turn up a mobile video I could view then paste here - but check out her version of Use Me. With Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare on drums and bass, it is wonderful.

Marlonius
04-29-2014, 09:02 AM
I think she's hot and find her very attractive. Lean, high cheekbones, smooth skin. She's very exotic to me.

I've never heard her music though. I also recall reading that she was pretty unprofessional on the James Bond film too - Roger Moore had nothing good to say about her.

WordMan
04-29-2014, 11:38 AM
All of that is your call - and there are a lot of folks who apparently agree with you - but damn, a lot of her music is excellent. A quick YouTube check didn't turn up a mobile video I could view then paste here - but check out her version of Use Me. With Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare on drums and bass, it is wonderful.

On a laptop - here is a YouTube link for Use Me: http://youtube.com/watch?v=zroggPZuHxk

It's the old Bill Withers song (which I love), with a full makeover. The bass just makes the song - very cool. Her voice is fine, but more importantly, suits this particular arrangement.

She's eccentric and has a totally outlandish look and way she carries herself, but I love this music...

Procrustus
04-29-2014, 11:48 AM
Grace Slick, on the other hand....

Tamerlane
04-29-2014, 01:22 PM
It's the old Bill Withers song (which I love), with a full makeover.

The original (https://youtube.com/watch?v=1ROGOHNSEBs) for comparison. Great song. It does say something ( what, I'm not sure ;) ) that she tends to completely re-invent her covers, rather than just doing straight versions of them.

Kobal2
04-29-2014, 01:48 PM
I think she was hot as a crematorium.

But then I also carry a torch for Skin (http://itusozluk.com/image/skin_31849.jpg), singer for Skunk Anansie (unrequitted, alas, as the lady swings for the ladies). Even though I'm told people also find her scary and mannish. Scary (http://static.wixstatic.com/media/be3ceb_84509e9b35b4d061b4fac49fa7c336a0.jpg), you say ? I just don't see it :).
(http://static.wixstatic.com/media/be3ceb_84509e9b35b4d061b4fac49fa7c336a0.jpg)

Push You Down
04-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Scary as hell and striking. I would never call her sexy.. but fascinating and attractive.

Oslo Ostragoth
05-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Hell, yes.

Best Topics: cadfael netflix the graduate songs bart abbreviation the wind mariah animals love me brain fart synonyms margarita with salt pt cruisers review australian hat cork goddamn jews hydro lawn mower brain fart synonyms u2 ceiling toll tag placement bandaid rash gay leather pant crispin letterman rerun shows dilaudid narcotic kendall oil history japan paper walls sell walnut trees mister pibb making ice blocks outercourse reddit biker bar names fifty quid girl mmo negro community minesweeping ww2 women with overbites humboldt sink iceland is part of europe do rhinos stamp out fires cost of rabies treatment for humans fire alarm going off no reason angel with red wings dmv junk car slip cost to replace electrical outlets how long does cheesecake stay good sharp edges on teeth can a leather jacket be washed in a washing machine paypal cannot remove card how to peel onion ear wax balls falling out ears swiss army knife vs leatherman did adam and jamie get along starbucks coffee tastes burnt who sends certified mail letters how to start a gas golf cart coke and asparagus kidney stone remedy middle initial on credit card someone bought something on my amazon account can you wash slippers star trek online saurian brandy who sang wkrp theme song 1988 twenty dollar bill tracing wires inside walls a good example of disguised discrimination is this call may be recorded for quality and training purposes things to do alone in orange county when do vitamins start working cockroaches in hotel room where can you find fireflies in california fork in a toaster