PDA

View Full Version : Does hair grow faster in the summer?

MrVisible
07-19-2001, 01:54 PM
I recently got a bad haircut. A really bad haircut. (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=78456) The best thing people have been able to say about it is "It'll grow out", though I also liked "Oh my god, what happened?", "Well, that's interesting" and "AAAAAA! EEEEARGH! EEEEEK!". But so far in this ordeal, about half a dozen people have told me that I'm lucky that this happened in the summer, because hair grows faster in summertime.

I searched the web, and found out that if I ever stop growing hair altogether, there's a lot of possible help out there for me, most of which seems to involve chemicals or hair plugs. I searched Cecil's collected wisdom, and found out why my arm hair is always the same length. I thought about searching the boards, but these days even thinking about searching the boards makes the baby Jesus cry. And Snopes is down.

So, I turn to you, O Teeming Millions. Does hair grow faster in summertime? Or is it a myth? Or are these people trying to make me feel better? The issue holds some interest for me, as I'm trying to calculate when I might be able to go back out in public again.

Gaspode
07-19-2001, 08:22 PM
Well I know it's true for me personally. The explanation given by this site (http://electrology.com/jour89g.html) is that " hair growth is subject to the environment and temperature, with rapid hair growth in the summer, due to increased blood flow which is a result of increased dermal temperatures."
Makes sense to me, since I know that doing a lot of excercise also increases my hair growth.
Hope that helped. In the meantime might I suggest a wig, or a paper bag with two holes. :D

Swirdle
07-21-2001, 09:33 AM
Yes.

Sattua
07-21-2001, 12:14 PM
As a veteran leg-shaver, I concur. Fingernails and toenails also grow faster.

Swirdle
07-22-2001, 03:52 AM
.....And it is a tree ring thing too.

Qadgop the Mercotan
07-22-2001, 11:54 AM
Yeah, but this site: http://hair.com/content/003.html says you lose more hair in the summer too!

I would wager individual variation is so great that one cannot make much of any sweeping statements of seasonal hair growth.

Swirdle
07-22-2001, 12:32 PM
If you lose some, you lose some. It doesn't stop the rest growing at whatever rate is seasonally appropriate.

Best Topics: wellbutrin cocaine b52 fighter liam bourke married republican star wizengamot pronunciation marsha brady nude civilization 3 strategy american vhs luke doggett cutthroat billiards madam violet wikipedia soppressata pronounce candelabra 100w led snort benadryl discordian quotes tonk pianos bubba jail asstr toddler freres jacques translation pegs for bookshelves amd hyperthreading prompt criticality 714 quaalude jesus nicknames rocky drinking eggs hr giger pronunciation jackfruit trader joe's encare effectiveness percent stop all way oxo anions medieval trident first of may outdoor screwing starts today i've been called worse by better why are snap on tools so expensive where can i buy a monacle what happened to ross and rachel's baby honeywell heat on blinking national career readiness certificate gold shadow of mordor dlc worth it how to use sulfuric acid drain cleaner lakers courtside season tickets price vaccine that causes scar on arm jay leno jaywalking geography does water boil faster covered or uncovered why do i keep getting static shocks hearts and minds quote 60 billion double dollars indians did 7/11 cities that start with san difference between parcel select and media mail blue bird on big bang theory why isnt aluminum magnetic how long can you leave jelly out of the fridge did elvis write his own music how to remove medical adhesive from skin how do air marshals get through security how to stop receiving other people's mail what is an smf notification dog bites own leg does the company pay for unemployment jeep soft top car wash