PDA

View Full Version : Is Kwanzaa a joke?

bomberswarm2
05-21-2016, 05:19 AM
As above.

Monty
05-21-2016, 06:19 AM
Define joke. Better yet, explain why you asked the question in that manner in the first place. It's a holiday for a particular group of people to celebrate their heritage. How is that "a joke"?

Feel free to read about Kwanzaa here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwanzaa).

bomberswarm2
05-21-2016, 06:53 AM
Define joke. Better yet, explain why you asked the question in that manner in the first place. It's a holiday for a particular group of people to celebrate their heritage. How is that "a joke"?

Feel free to read about Kwanzaa here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwanzaa).

Yea, 'heritage', a racist holiday. Where's the White Kwanzaa or the Asian kwanzaa or the Latino Kwanzaa

MrDibble
05-21-2016, 07:05 AM
Yea, 'heritage', a racist holiday. Where's the White KwanzaaEvery day is White Kwanzaa... or the Asian kwanzaa or the Latino KwanzaaWhat, you think none of those ethnicities have holidays celebrating their own heritage?

bomberswarm2
05-21-2016, 07:14 AM
Every day is White Kwanzaa

Last time I checked I go to work 5 days a week

samclem
05-21-2016, 07:16 AM
Moving from General Questions to the PIT.

samclem, moderator

Budget Player Cadet
05-21-2016, 07:27 AM
Yea, 'heritage', a racist holiday. Where's the White Kwanzaa or the Asian kwanzaa or the Latino Kwanzaa

Could the distinguished gentleman provide a definition for "racist"? The fact that distinct racial and cultural groups (race is a social construct, but social constructs do actually exist and have a significant impact on society) have their own distinct celebrations of heritage doesn't seem problematic to me at all. If "white people" don't, that may in fact be on them - although I'd argue most of the celebrations on the calender are focused around white people. Columbus Day, Presidents Day, St. Patrick's Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving... All of these celebrate a distinctly white heritage, often stemming from events during times where African-Americans were not typically involved in the celebration, except maybe as unpaid slave labor. So... yeah. Might as well ask why there's no black history month, or no straight pride parade.

DrFidelius
05-21-2016, 07:31 AM
As above.
We're in the Pit now? Cool.

OP, you are an ass. Are the only "legitimate" celebrations those that either address your ethnic group or give you a thin excuse to drink like a sophomore about to flunk out?

Personally, I am looking forward to a big celebration for The Glorious 25th of May this year, and your opinion of its non-jokiness is absolutely irrelevant. You are under no obligation to recognize anyone else's holidays (except in the case of non-Christians in December, but we have done everything possible to turn that into a secular solstice rite).

MrDibble
05-21-2016, 07:38 AM
:rolleyes: Humor, it is a difficult concept.

MrDibble
05-21-2016, 07:39 AM
Might as well ask why there's no black history month
I think you mean "White history month"

kayaker
05-21-2016, 07:46 AM

White Kwanza = St Patrick's Day
Latino Kwanza = Cinco de Mayo
Asian Kwanza = Chinese New Year

Happy?

Gary T
05-21-2016, 07:47 AM
Yea, 'heritage', a racist holiday. Where's the White Kwanzaa
Every day is White Kwanzaa.
The point is that (in the U.S.) white culture is represented, affirmed, and celebrated constantly and thoroughly. Kwanzaa is is a response to longstanding and entrenched racism in our society. To call it racist is ridiculous (it is racial, but that's quite a different thing), and suggests willful obtusity.

Monty
05-21-2016, 08:00 AM

When I made my post, was quite sure of why you framed your OP the way you did. Like any other bigot, though, you are truly a moron; you admit your prejudice but pretend it's no such thing. Actually, you're more of a racist troll than a mere stupid troll.

If you weren't such a jackass you would already understand that it's attitudes like the one you spew...er, display that are very much part of the reason for the observance of Kwanzaa.

Another nifty point is that all holidays are "made up".

Baker
05-21-2016, 08:08 AM
Why bother, you know the OP is too cowardly to return now.

Richard Parker
05-21-2016, 08:08 AM
Not Solstice!

kayaker
05-21-2016, 08:25 AM
Why bother, you know the OP is too cowardly to return now.

Well, maybe he'll return once he's sobered up.

If so, a question, please? If, due to injury or disease, you were to lose your eyesight, how would you know who to hate?

cochrane
05-21-2016, 08:31 AM
As above.

No, but you are.

Captain Amazing
05-21-2016, 08:31 AM

Well, black people go to work during Kwanzaa too. Look, it was a holiday that was created in the '60s by a college professor, so it's younger than Christmas but older than Earth Day. From all I understand, it's not particularly popular or widely celebrated, but it's not a joke...the person who created it and the people who celebrate it do so sincerely because they honor the values it honors; a lot having to do with black nationalism and black community development.

So, not a joke. Black nationalist, certainly in its origins and probably to good extent now, yes.

bobot
05-21-2016, 08:33 AM
As above.

::Adds new Dipshit to Dipshit List::

cochrane
05-21-2016, 08:43 AM
Moving from General Questions to the PIT.

samclem, moderator

By the way, good call, samclem.

Budget Player Cadet
05-21-2016, 08:50 AM
I think you mean "White history month"

Yes, thank you. Half a bottle of Crown Yard will do things to you the next morning. :D

El_Kabong
05-21-2016, 08:56 AM
Is Kwanzaa a joke?

As above.

No, but Festivus is.

Glad to be of help.

Little Nemo
05-21-2016, 08:57 AM
Well, maybe he'll return once he's sobered up.Being drunk doesn't make you racist. It only makes you racist out loud.

John Mace
05-21-2016, 09:15 AM
Looks like we have a Neo-Nazi with a fetish about murder (judging by all the threads started by the OP).

DNFTT.

JKellyMap
05-21-2016, 10:17 AM
A Christmas, a Hannukah, and a Kwanzaa walk into a bar...

panache45
05-21-2016, 10:38 AM

And I suppose Gay Pride Day is a "joke," because there's no Straight Pride Day?

you with the face
05-21-2016, 10:41 AM
I guess the perinnial griping about kwanzaa has started early this year. Yawn.

E-DUB
05-21-2016, 11:18 AM
Darn, I was going to call Festivus the "white Kwanzaa". Some people seriously celebrate Festivus, or at least seem to. It does seem fair to ask, as an open question to African-American dopers, do you, or anyone you know take Kwanzaa seriously? Or is it basically the black equivalent of a "Hallmark Holiday"?

Monty
05-21-2016, 11:57 AM
I guess the perinnial griping about kwanzaa has started early this year. Yawn.

I was going to guess that you meant perennial (http://dictionary.com/browse/perennial) until I remembered who posted the OP in this thread. The top contender for the correct spelling would then be perineal (http://dictionary.com/browse/perineal).

Procrustus
05-21-2016, 12:35 PM
I cannot believe the preoccupation with race at this site. (Maybe it's the whole Internet, but this is the only place I hang out) Let's discuss the n-word, let's discuss white African-Americans, let's discuss white privilege, let's discuss kwanza. Oh, and Obama sucks because he's (black).

its getting a little depressing. In the real world I don't run into any white people complaining about how hard it is to be white these days and complaining about racist black people.

ftg
05-21-2016, 12:53 PM
It is somewhat manufactured, but there is a bit of it based on some East African* customs. That makes it less artificial than many US holidays such as Mother's Day, Father's Day, Labor Day, etc. But not all that different from Thanksgiving as we know it (manufactured in the 1860s).

*One thing that would have helped Kwanzaa's street cred is if was based on West or Southwest African customs and language.

Ace309
05-21-2016, 01:36 PM

What the fuck is your problem?

panache45
05-21-2016, 02:13 PM

Do your coworkers a favor, and stay home more.

Ranger Jeff
05-21-2016, 03:10 PM
On reviewing the history of threads the OP has started, I'm reminded of Manny Peoples. A criminal, racist, anti-semitic, etc. Manny, that is.

Ike Witt
05-21-2016, 03:26 PM
And I suppose Gay Pride Day is a "joke," because there's no Straight Pride Day?

We're here, we're straight and we don't want anymore hate!

Do Not Taunt
05-21-2016, 03:26 PM
It does seem fair to ask, as an open question to African-American dopers, do you, or anyone you know take Kwanzaa seriously?This was basically my interpretation of the thread title, though it seems like there may be some context with the OP (poster) I'm thankfully unfamiliar with. It's been my experience that no one (African Americans included) takes Kwanzaa particularly seriously, and is therefore a 'joke' holiday, but maybe others have different experiences?

silenus
05-21-2016, 03:33 PM

Please. If we started to list them all we'd be here until Kwanzaa.

Yllaria
05-21-2016, 03:55 PM
Last time I checked I go to work 5 days a weekIf it isn't a grey day here (http://dot.ca.gov/hq/construc/calendar/2016.pdf), and it isn't, I don't have to worry about it. If you're complaining about who gets vacation days in December, it's whoever got their dibs in first.

A Christmas, a Hannukah, and a Kwanzaa walk into a bar...Now that's a joke.

Biggirl
05-21-2016, 05:24 PM
On reviewing the history of threads the OP has started, I'm reminded of Manny Peoples. A criminal, racist, anti-semitic, etc. Manny, that is.

Now there's a blast from the past!

I do not celebrate Kwanzaa. I was raised Catholic, why would I? I knew people who did. They also wear dashikis and kufis even though they're 4th generation AME from Brooklyn. Eh,whatever floats your dhow.

Ukulele Ike
05-21-2016, 06:34 PM
OP, you are an ass. Are the only "legitimate" celebrations those that either address your ethnic group or give you a thin excuse to drink like a sophomore about to flunk out?
Hey, there's nothing stopping any of us from drinking like a sophomore about to flunk out on Kwanzaa, is there? Don't you tell ME how to celebrate Kwanzaa.

And yes, the OP is an ass.

Great Antibob
05-21-2016, 07:03 PM
Isn't there a word for people who feel the need to come down on others' good times even though they themselves are not asked to do anything or be inconvenienced in any way?

Maybe something like an orifice through which some type of waste might pass?

oft wears hats
05-21-2016, 07:28 PM
So, which episode of Law and Order featured references to Kwanzaa?

dropzone
05-21-2016, 07:31 PM
Once--ONCE--I had an opportunity to celebrate Jews Eat Chinese Food Day the way it should. No family, no in-laws, just me and a Chinese buffet.

We now have an Indo-Pak buffet. Where should I send the family?

ETA: Oh, and bombers warm too, you're fucked in the head.

Musicat
05-21-2016, 07:34 PM
As I understand it, it's a "made-up" holiday. Like Mother's Day.

iiandyiiii
05-21-2016, 07:48 PM

All holidays are made-up, except for Talk Like a Pirate Day, which was ordained by His Noodliness the FSM in all his wisdom.

Great Antibob
05-21-2016, 07:59 PM
Hell, people expect me to do things on Mother's day and Talk Like a Pirate Day.

As far as I can tell, nobody expects me to do jack shit for Kwanzaa. I'm fine with that.

Monty
05-21-2016, 08:41 PM

All holidays are made-up, except for Talk Like a Pirate Day, which was ordained by His Noodliness the FSM in all his wisdom.

Maybe I told it wrong (http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/showpost.php?p=19347176&postcount=13).

pool
05-21-2016, 08:45 PM
Why do sharks only get a week to celebrate their culture and black people get a whole month, its bullshit man!

Acsenray
05-21-2016, 08:56 PM
All I'm sure of is that 9-1-1 is a joke.

Guinastasia
05-21-2016, 09:01 PM
Well, the Kwanzaa cake (https://youtube.com/watch?v=we2iWTJqo98) is a joke.
(Remember that one?)

Clothahump
05-21-2016, 09:01 PM
I was going to guess that you meant perennial (http://dictionary.com/browse/perennial) until I remembered who posted the OP in this thread. The top contender for the correct spelling would then be perineal (http://dictionary.com/browse/perineal).

'Taint right.

Rick Kitchen
05-21-2016, 09:27 PM
We dodged a bullet by not having Sandra Lee as First Lady of the United States. I dunno how New York manages.

Chefguy
05-21-2016, 09:53 PM

Tinsel, probably. It's distracting.

scabpicker
05-21-2016, 10:41 PM
Isn't there a word for people who feel the need to come down on others' good times even though they themselves are not asked to do anything or be inconvenienced in any way?

Maybe something like an orifice through which some type of waste might pass?

A mouth? A nose?

Hey, carbon dioxide is a waste gas.

Isosleepy
05-22-2016, 12:37 AM
All I'm sure of is that 9-1-1 is a joke.

In which town? Yours?

Ace309
05-22-2016, 07:18 AM
A mouth? A nose?

Hey, carbon dioxide is a waste gas.

"Hey, quit being such a urethra."

kaylasdad99
05-22-2016, 08:17 AM
Huh.

I always thought the FSM was a chick.

Couldn't tell you WHY I thought that, though.

Again: huh.

Monty
05-22-2016, 08:36 AM
'Taint right.

I made two jokes in the thread, and only one got noticed. The TM are slacking.

Acsenray
05-22-2016, 08:53 AM
In which town? Yours?

No, yours.

Miller
05-22-2016, 12:18 PM

Cut him some slack, man. He's been scrubbing those toilets for six years now, and after five, they were supposed to give him a brush.

watchwolf49
05-22-2016, 03:26 PM
I see the OP still hasn't returned since he got dumped in the Pit, what a coward, he should run for Congress.

Great Antibob
05-22-2016, 05:55 PM
nm, wrong idiot poster.

Chimera
05-22-2016, 06:10 PM
We ready to label this trolling and close the thread yet?

watchwolf49
05-22-2016, 07:58 PM
Trolls aren't cowards ... we should keep dumping on him so he never ever posts his stupidity ever again ...

Just look at how the idiot spelts ... what a maroon ...

Kimstu
05-23-2016, 01:37 AM
I cannot believe the preoccupation with race at this site. (Maybe it's the whole Internet, but this is the only place I hang out) Let's discuss the n-word, let's discuss white African-Americans, let's discuss white privilege, let's discuss kwanza. Oh, and Obama sucks because he's (black).

We do tend to get a lot of aggrieved folks with a heavy growth of unchecked privilege passing through to complain about their victimhood.

I'm guessing it's because of the board's (and the original column's) self-consciously "smart and irreverent" schtick. A lot of aggrieved folks with a chip on their shoulder like to think of themselves as smart and irreverent.

madmonk28
05-23-2016, 10:16 AM
Racist troll, trolls racistly. What's weird is he is thinking about Kwanzaa at 3am in the middle of May. Now that's a guy with a lot going on in his life.

Yllaria
05-24-2016, 02:43 PM
'Taint right.

Oh, ouch.

TBG
05-26-2016, 07:02 PM
let's discuss white African-Americans

So, how about that Charlize Theron?

Procrustus
05-26-2016, 07:04 PM
Racist troll, trolls racistly. What's weird is he is thinking about Kwanzaa at 3am in the middle of May. Now that's a guy with a lot going on in his life.

The War on Christmas starts earlier every year too.

dropzone
05-26-2016, 08:45 PM
So, how about that Charlize Theron?As long as she doesn't start with her native Boer accent, I'm okay. Like fingernails on a chalkboard, it is.

andros
05-27-2016, 11:28 AM
Racist.

dasmoocher
05-27-2016, 06:36 PM
Please. If we started to list them all we'd be here until Kwanzaa.

I thought the "Airing of Grievances" was a Festivus thing? :confused:

Trolls aren't cowards ... we should keep dumping on him so he never ever posts his stupidity ever again ...

Just look at how the idiot spelts ... what a maroon ...

Being a fan of Bugs, I hate to say it, but I believe it's now spelt "morans".

Chihuahua
05-28-2016, 06:18 PM
To ask "Is Kwanzaa a joke" doesn't even qualify as a useful question. There ARE valid criticisms, but to dismiss the entire concept as a joke doesn't do justice to the pros or the cons of the argument.

The usual argument against Kwanzaa is that it is a recent invention and therefore somehow inauthentic or artificial. To an extent, this is a legitimate complaint: Kwanzaa does not have any precedent in African tradition. Further, Africa itself is not a cohesive culture and no one group's holidays or traditions could apply universally to all Africans. Using east African words for a ceremony aimed at West African descendants is an odd choice, as is (for example) using corn as a ritual or symbolic food, as corn is not native to Africa at all.

Most of the counter-arguments have already been covered. There is no holiday that is not artificial. Christmas, for example, is profoundly arbitrary in that it doesn't reflect a known date, incorporates lots of European and syncretic pagan imagery, and is wholly co-opted by annual marketing ploys. There is no inherent logic to celebrating Easter with rabbits and eggs that I am aware of. Most of the other major American holidays are either wholly the creation of retailers or are so distantly removed from their actual cultural origins that they bear no small resemblance to "Love Day" on The Simpsons. In this sense, Kwanzaa is certainly no worse than any other arbitrary holiday.

The other major criticism of Kwanzaa is the fact that it is explicitly by, for, and about Black People (TM). It was founded by a black nationalist whose personal history is checkered, to say the least. The notion of a "black holiday" does cut against the idea of a post-racial world, because its existence reinforces the belief that "black identity" is separate from "American identity." I think as much could be said for any holiday or event that reminds us that ethnic minorities are different, special or unique.

The counter-argument is obvious: We can afford to let Africans celebrate their uniqueness because literally every other day of the year is de facto White People's Day. When black cops start shooting white people in the back for literally no reason, then we can talk. But, more to the point: Africans in America have had their own history systematically suppressed and extirpated from the history books. The dominant narrative for the last several centuries is that there are no African cultural or historical events worth mentioning, because all Africans are stone-age spear-chuckers. Attempting to uncover and reclaim a place for African heritage was a major motivating factor for people involved in the Civil Rights movement, who were brought up being told that "African Heritage" did not exist.

If a people want to attempt to reclaim their heritage and tell their children that they are valuable and have a place in the world, I say we let them.

dropzone
05-28-2016, 06:25 PM
Oh, shut up. We weren't done making fun of the OP. You want to get serious, take it to GD. ;)

Best Topics: throw thermal pod tsar pronunciation ripping netflix dvds opposite of doom domestic insurrections bisexual tattoo designs nizari ismailism large plywood sheets shick shadel seattle shoe tongues skag urban dictionary guey translate lasko fan ion store brewed coffee philmont reddit do bandaids expire data's mother mud people bible kimchi smells bad farquaad fuckwad death by exsanguination wasps in chimney hung munchkin 675 square feet next thursday date 23 dba mcnuggets price funny dream stories lose the attitude cruciform bayonet conservative assholes obesity people eating uplift series where is thumper song how long does poison ivy stay on clothes terminal velocity of an arrow speeding is not a crime waffle house cheesy eggs cut wrist how long to die whip as a weapon can osb get wet amazon order shipped to wrong address can employers find out your work history does plumbers putty get hard how much can 550 paracord hold why do hotdogs and buns come in different numbers ram horn bike handlebars what does a key to a city do is murder legal in international waters i wanna listen to music old fashioned traffic lights water heater got wet pilot won't light sim card in laptops is it illegal to put things in mailboxes peeing on feet for athletes foot christmas tree not taking water sulfa drugs for bladder infection why do women scream? see ya later alligator sayings 12 men on an island can dry pasta go bad can a fat person starve to death girl from nantucket joke rafterman full metal jacket how to call the police in a different state open back of watch is fire extinguisher powder harmful