PDA

View Full Version : Half-Assed or Half-Fast?

Photog
08-28-2001, 12:19 PM
When describing the sloppy or shoddy completion of a task, is the correct term 'half-assed' or 'half-fast'? I've always thought it was the former, however SWMBO insists that it is the latter. In any event, what's the origin?

Gunslinger
08-28-2001, 12:29 PM
Definitely the former.

KneadToKnow
08-28-2001, 12:34 PM
"Half-fast"? :confused:

Tom and Ray have a running joke regarding one's "vast experience" and the other's "half-vast experience," but that's the closest I've ever heard to the posited formation.

Definitely "half-assed."

lno
08-28-2001, 12:39 PM
And regarding origins, m-w.com comes to the rescue.

Main Entry: half-assed
Pronunciation: 'haf-'ast, 'h[a']f-'[a']st
Function: adjective
Date: circa 1932
1 often vulgar : lacking significance, adequacy, or completeness
2 often vulgar : lacking intelligence, character, or effectiveness
- half-assed adverb, often vulgar

bafaa
08-28-2001, 03:08 PM
Yeah, definitely half-assed.
Reminds me of a friend who used to say "6 and a half, a dozen" instead of "6 of 1, half a dozen of the other". Had a lot of laughs with her over that one.

micco
08-28-2001, 03:18 PM
I've got a promo t-shirt from Compaq that says their computers are "Not Half-Fast". That's the only time I've ever seen the latter construct, and it was clearly wordplay.

screech-owl
08-28-2001, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by KneadToKnow
"Half-fast"? :confused:

Sign in a friend's tavern:

PATIENCE

I am not a fast bartender.
I am not a slow bartender.
I am a half-fast bartender.

jsc1953
08-28-2001, 04:35 PM
In the Rolling Stones song "It's All Over Now", there's a line that could be heard either "spend all my money/playin' her high fast game", or "playin' her half-assed game". The second makes more sense, but is a bit racy for 1964. Anybody know the right lyrics?

JeffB
08-28-2001, 05:26 PM
I believe the lyric is "high-class game."

jsc1953
08-28-2001, 05:49 PM
D'oh! (if true) I guess I should take this to the "high-class or half-assed" thread.

bibliophage
08-28-2001, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by lno
And regarding origins, m-w.com comes to the rescue.
. . .
Date: circa 1932American Slang by Robert Chapman says it dates from the late 1800s. According to him, it may be "a humorous mispronunciation of haphazard".

samclem
08-28-2001, 10:19 PM
Lighter: adj.,meaning contemptible, half-baked, stupid, etc. 1863, "there goes our half-assed Adjutant."

As an adj. meaning "halfway, poorly, etc., he cites 1929-33, "If I plan to do something, I don't see any reason to do it half ass.

Waneman
08-30-2001, 12:04 AM
I believe I read somewhere that the half-assed or half-ass comes from days when one would employ and ass or mule to do a certain amount of work. Poor work was satirically equivalent to the work done by half an ass. Why there isn't a half-mule or half-horse, donkey or any other variation, I don't know.

Ok, so this was a half-assed attempt at answering the question.

I digress.

-Waneman

CalMeacham
08-30-2001, 06:44 AM
American Slang by Robert Chapman says it dates from the late 1800s. According to him, it may be "a humorous mispronunciation of haphazard".

I like that explanation, because "half-assed" has always bothered me. Does that mean that something done well is "whole assed"? How does being associated with half an ass (of whatever kind) make something bad?

TheThill
08-30-2001, 08:27 AM
When in doubt, the naughty version is real and the "clean" one is a silly euphemism.

samclem
08-30-2001, 11:04 PM
Chapman may be the only source who thinks it could have come from a mispronounciation of haphazard.

Look at Lighter's cite from 1863, "there goes our half-assed Adjutant," and suggest where haphazard comes into play in the meaning of the word. Yes, I know that the adjective meant two different things in the mid/late 1800's, but the phrase was already establised by 1863 and couldn't have come from haphazard, IMHO.

curwin
08-31-2001, 07:44 AM
Isn't there a Homer Simpson quote with this?

KneadToKnow
08-31-2001, 07:46 AM
Yes. See Ino's reply above.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Best Topics: catnip tea high police jurisdiction multiplication wheels wiggles papadum greek for butterfly stalemate ww1 oh marone smirnoff malt beverage spice like nutmeg little girl voice men vpl define asdf claritin makes me drowsy elvis presley penis size holmes make it right who pays white liquid coming out of sweet potato how to clean bonded leather couch water heater blows through roof buzz cut or bald on vehicle for delivery today wellbutrin short term memory loss difference between looney tunes and merrie melodies moped for big guys