View Single Post
Old 07-19-2002, 09:37 PM
Chlorine gas is, of course, Cl2, not Cl-. I suppose that in principle if you had enough of the ion sitting around with the right other substances, you could manage to get it to react to form a poisonous gas, but then again, people don't seem to have too much problem with dying by standing next to brackish water (lots of chlorine from the dissolved salt) or hydrochloric acid, so I'd think the risks from that are slight. The hydrazine explanation sounds more reasonable to me, but it's been a few years since I was a chemist.

Actually, checking my various texts and the CRC, it looks like ClO- (hypochlorite) is a typical bleaching agent but is not overly involved with redox reactions in that the standard reduction potential is not large. As Squink says, ClO3- (chlorate) is another story entirely, but I would have thought that people who make bleach would want to create a product that isn't likely to lead to the formation of this less than entirely charming species.
Best Topics: reddit toenail fungus meenie miney mo sons of moses overly muscular cecil adams celebrity movie archiv japanese memorials paving cost cardinalcommerce newegg legit drum fish taste babylon 5 vorlons latin for movement blued razor blade coding speed what are greenies 80s basketball shorts prancing referee euthanize hamster dogs are gross scary quote backgammon msn bactine cold sores replacement toilet tank dodgeball original ending cager globetrotters micro nipples give yourself head shit smearing flintstones bambam standing in corner chichi in spanish means that 70s show laugh track why does my cat stretch in front of me bagpipes playing amazing grace no broadcasting institution, however independent its content, should receive public funding. equate mouthwash vs listerine shave arm hair men when did 2x4 change size stars moving in the sky comic book characters that break the fourth wall galaxy s4 proximity sensor what happens if you fail basic training how to keep your glasses from fogging up que es eso meaning world book encyclopedia cyclo teacher what does v8 taste like fallout 3 for beginners is apex a good tv brand popping sound under car touch of grey review trane thermostat circulate mode section 8 housing complaints do retarded people know they are retarded why do people use pcp can my parents kick me out at 18 without notice why does my cat run around like crazy best buy remote start installation cyanide smells like almonds can diabetics eat pork rinds standing on concrete floor all day classical guitar fret markers most state legislatures are bicameral because who manufactures great value products