View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ*
Coinstar is the company that owns those coin-counting kiosks you typically see at the entrance of many grocery stores in the US.

Ostensibly, they provide you the service of counting and redeeming a jarful of coins into paper money and so save you "the time and effort of sorting, rolling and taking them to the bank." Cost is 8.9 cents (US) per dollar counted; the fee is waived if you take your cash as a giftcard/e-certificate to certain affiliated retailers like Amazon, ITunes, Borders, etc.

At every bank where I've every had an account, the bank provides coin-counting for free, without requiring you roll them in advance (in fact, most banks break the rolls open anyway to make sure you aren't pulling a fast one). And although Coinstar does save me the "hassle" of transporting the coins to the bank, they replace it with the equal hassle of transporting the coins to the grocery store.

I simply cannot believe there are enough people without a bank account or interested in giftcards to make this a profitable business. Obviously they are; they've been around--according to their website--since 1991. What am I missing here?
Banks out here, where CoinStar is headquartered (no pun intended) don't provide the coin sorting service anymore (at least not the banks I go to). In fact, as a store owner I often receive rolled coins that are over or under a coin or two. If we tell the bank they were under they'll make it up.
Best Topics: fish euthanasia hitler first name benadryl high dosage michael stipe nose capacitor uf shipfitter blues define bite me the warrior scandle tarzan liana drano for toilet creek dont rise off air bars sternocleidomastoid injury magnolia saplings nar williams postage due mail shower over toilet create lightning mall strip buy used mattress bowlegged cowboy non free email durarara plot explained tawnee stone dead jay leno jaywalk tractor horsepower chart surgery message piano repair cost revolver threaded barrel female junior latino capitalized male butterface fire lake michigan can you drink on probation another way to say time flies can i use checks with my old address what happened to youtube favorites day old bread store cleveland leaves family guy what did pernell roberts die of certified mail from irs dangers of tens unit calories in pho ga screw in tire repair will a diesel engine run on gasoline sack of gold coins legal drinking age korea does adam and eve send catalogs cat pees in shower cry wolfe investigation discovery toenail detached from nail bed how long can you drive with expired tags in california wet dreams by kip addotta shoes rubbing achilles tendon genghis khan vs attila the hun what does ss mean on backpage undercover boss breaks cover at what proof does alcohol freeze brad pitt and chris hemsworth best tasting hard liquor cluster mailbox key replacement light your farts on fire wearing a shelf bra in public best friends help you hide the body why are powerlifters fat look into the abyss quote