View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 08:06 PM
In my experience most Japanese will not respond verbally to this at all. It totally depends upon who you're "thanking."

Someone at the corner convenience store will merely nod (maybe) and as you walk out, will shout in a loud voice (to nobody -- it's a robotic response) "Arizatozaimashtaaaaaah" just like all his/her colleagues.

If you are a foreigner, a normal Japanese will never respond with "iiee," "Iya" (I would say more possible) and CERTAINLY not "tonedemonai" or "dou itashimashite."

Excessive bowing will definitely take those places, or merely a rigid smile and a fervent wish for you and your foreignness to depart as quickly as possible.

Please do NOT say things like "arigatou gozaimashita" to store clerks; it's bizarre and unnatural. Don't even bother with "arigatou." A simple "doumou" will be precisely what you should say and what they will expect.

To this you should expect no verbal response past perhaps a "hai" or most probably, nothing at all.
Best Topics: crackheads blowjobs lowes message boards chauncey howell biography shotgun suicide helmet parking lights greasy butt roosevelt surname adult silverfish european car charger symmetrical rash store brand soda those ones grammar best scottish accents gal friday meaning drawer wax flock of robins volvo 240 safety 6'1 190 lbs preppy places oil for shredder vitriol borgia vanilla lifestyle milton burls is chloroform legal worf brother wood joke mac quack accountant visor sheet metal adhesive french tickler condoms carnie wilson naked 30 quid the wizard of oz miss gulch attaching shutters to vinyl siding how old do you have to be to go to a strip do dogs digest bones what does a proximity sensor do does a violin have frets french kissing with dentures how to listen to audible books on pc does soma help with opiate withdrawal what are wife beaters called do breast implants float 1/8 black 7/8 white will autozone check my alternator condensation in gas tank symptoms how much does it cost to remove a mole is bag balm good for eczema sword art online bad writing credit card machine down joan crawford on secret storm forge of empires wishing well probability battery pack for lighted wreath what is the difference between mayonnaise and salad dressing songs with baby in them dark souls 2 fire damage do mens balls drop comedian that drinks on stage when did automatic transmissions become popular how long does chili last putting nair in shampoo mel gibson australian accent how to pronounce jane eyre dental fantasy football names my head is too big for my body the call of the void french